NASA Moon bombing 10/09/09: Scientific or something else?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious
http://www.examiner.com/x-2912-Seattle-Exopolitics-Examiner~y2009m6d19-NASA-moon-bombing-violates-space-law--may-cause-conflict-with-lunar-extraterrestrial-civilizations

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2009/10/07/moos.bomb.moon.follies.cnn

This is interesting, NASA is bombing the moon on 10/09/09 on a water-seeking and lunar colonization experiment. I wonder if that's the real reason behind it.

Thoughts?

-Pr-
did nobody see that time machine movie? honestly?

seriously, though. tis a trifle odd.

steverules_2
I saw the time machine...and what scientists did to the moon, sometimes I feel like scientists are gonna be the death of us

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by -Pr-
did nobody see that time machine movie? honestly?

seriously, though. tis a trifle odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWr72l22NV4

-Pr-
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWr72l22NV4

laughing out loud

King Kandy
Don't care.

Darth Jello
It seems like the main purpose of such and experiment would be to more accurately compare the composition of the moon with that of the bottom of the pacific ocean in order to verify the leading theory that the moon was created by a collision between Earth and a Mars-sized object (a planet hypothetically called Orpheus), not just test for water.

I don't know of any laws this would break and it's pretty much impossible for life to exist on the moon as we understand it so what's the issue?

AngryManatee
LHC will kill us long before the moon does.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by AngryManatee
LHC will kill us long before the moon does.

In other words, never.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Jello
It seems like the main purpose of such and experiment would be to more accurately compare the composition of the moon with that of the bottom of the pacific ocean in order to verify the leading theory that the moon was created by a collision between Earth and a Mars-sized object (a planet hypothetically called Orpheus), not just test for water.

I don't know of any laws this would break and it's pretty much impossible for life to exist on the moon as we understand it so what's the issue?

I thought that was pretty much proved to be truth, as the rocks gathered from the moon match exactly with Earth's. I watched some show on the creation of the planets.

But on a more serious note, the aliens who watch us from their mega-dome on the dark-side of the moon will not like this.

Darth Jello
Isn't that called Attillan and aren't those the Inhumans true believer?

Dr Will Hatch
What ever happened to mining the Moon for helium 3?

GCG
I saw this on TV 2 weeks ago; they're checking for water on the moon but not in quantities of puddles, pools or lakes; the fragments of the moon after the explosion could expose moisture. Scientific I say

jaden101
Don't really see how the article saying that they're breaking international treaties is valid. They're not testing any weapons...Infact they're not even using ANY weapons...They're just crashing an empty rocket into the moon. Something they done with a comet a few years ago to test it's composition so saying it's "a bomb" is entirely false and misleading and basically shit-stirring.

BruceSkywalker

thumb up

inimalist

they moved to Kree space iirc.

Mindship
Cool.

When I was a kid, sometimes I would throw a rock at something interesting/different (ice on a pond, sheetrock) to see what would happen, or just for the smashing good fun of it.

That's what those good ol' boys at NASA are doing: throwing a rock.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by King Kandy
Don't care.

You should. If they blow up the moon it could mean the end of life on our planet. rolling on floor laughing

inimalist
if they blow up the moon....

King Kandy
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
You should. If they blow up the moon it could mean the end of life on our planet. rolling on floor laughing
Yeah, good thing that's not even remotely close to what they're actually doing.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
if they blow up the moon....

...then Pink Floyd will have a problem.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by dadudemon

Only if you blow up the dark side of the moon.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Only if you blow up the dark side of the moon.

Happy Dance

You got it!

jinXed by JaNx

Well, they'd still have The Wizard of Oz.

Bicnarok
It was a big non event then, apparently it'll take months to "analyse" the data. So basically they have a few months to make some story up why this expensive and lets face it, odd experiment, was successful.

Maybe they are looking for gold now that the Dollar is on the way out as far as being the main currency is concerned, the Euro and Gold is gonna take over, so the USA better find some quick.

Bardock42
Happy Dance

You got it! And you had disguised it so well.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bicnarok
It was a big non event then, apparently it'll take months to "analyse" the data. So basically they have a few months to make some story up why this expensive and lets face it, odd experiment, was successful.

so, how do you think science funding and experimentation works?

Hewhoknowsall
Some alien conspirators who claim that there may be aliens on the dark side of the moon seem to rule out the possibility that perhaps they are less advanced than us.

Robtard
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Some alien conspirators who claim that there may be aliens on the dark side of the moon seem to rule out the possibility that perhaps they are less advanced than us.

Probably because we lack the technology to build a gigantic life-supporting environmental dome on the moon ourselves.

Kris Blaze
'bout time Black Bolt got what was coming to him.

jinXed by JaNx
I bet you all ten thousand dollars they find nothing but a bunch of moon dust.

Look, let the nerds have their playground. They run the country for us and come up with all of the things that save our lives when we need them. So, if a couple hundred nerds want to fire rockets at the moon...,why not? What the hell else are we gonna do with it? It's not like the big bastard does anything but take up space and shield us from meteors. These pocket protectors worked really hard to get straight A's in high school and they actually studied their way through college instead of cheating or suckin dick. Let them have their toys and lets be thankful their not using those rockets on us.

Kris Blaze
facepalm

inimalist
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
facepalm

Robtard
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I bet you all ten thousand dollars they find nothing but a bunch of moon dust.

Look, let the nerds have their playground. They run the country for us and come up with all of the things that save our lives when we need them. So, if a couple hundred nerds want to fire rockets at the moon...,why not? What the hell else are we gonna do with it? It's not like the big bastard does anything but take up space and shield us from meteors. These pocket protectors worked really hard to get straight A's in high school and they actually studied their way through college instead of cheating or suckin dick. Let them have their toys and lets be thankful their not using those rockets on us.

Just an FYI, the Moon and it's gravitational pull is the reason why Earth isn't barren like Mars, it acts as a balancing agent, keeping Earth's orbit/rotation in check, given us or wonderful climates and steady seasons.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Robtard
Probably because we lack the technology to build a gigantic life-supporting environmental dome on the moon ourselves.

How do you know that on the DS there isn't some sort of chemical in the air that this species can breath? And that these species are really just stone-age level?

Robtard
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
How do you know that on the DS there isn't some sort of chemical in the air that this species can breath? And that these species are really just stone-age level?

Because the the moon has virtually no atmosphere and any chemicals/gases released from the moon quickly dissipate across the moons surface and eventually out to space.

But if you want to believe a stone-age level species lives on the moon in an area where sunlight never reaches and some sort of magical chemical exist only on that spot, go for it. I've heard crazier batshit ideas, as I've read multiple religious texts.

Ushgarak
Just in the interest of spreading accuracy whilst this kind of thing is being mentioned... there's no such thing as a 'dark side' of the moon. Nothing is stopping one half of it getting any light. There's only a 'far side', that we don't see from Earth. It's not dark.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Just in the interest of spreading accuracy whilst this kind of thing is being mentioned... there's no such thing as a 'dark side' of the moon. Nothing is stopping one half of it getting any light. There's only a 'far side', that we don't see from Earth. It's not dark.

Thanks.

I was gonna say....solar eclipse (as a stark contrast to the idea that there is literally a dark side of the moon that never sees light) for $500, Alex. But ya sort of beat me to da punch.

Ushgarak
It's one of those things that has always stuck with me- knowing the nature of the Moon might seem trivial, but I have never liked the idea of incorrect information being propogated, and the phrase 'Dark Side' does just that. All my time as a kid I heard it called the dark sdie, and so I formed this idea- as do most people, frankly- of the moon literally being an object where one side is always light and one side is always dark, and it is faintly ridiculous as both sides actually get the same amount of light. Two words that confuse generations of kids as to a basic truth. The more people that say 'far side' instead of 'dark side' the better.

The extension of this is that I was about 18 before I realised that I had no coherent idea what actually caused the phases of the moon- 'dark side thinking' had left me with this vague idea that something was getting in its way or that it was the shadow caused by Earth. But what hope did I have of knowing the truth when popular usage had left me thinking there was a dark side? Unless you appreciate that the moon does not have one permanently lit side but instead has a day/night cycle then its phases will never make sense.

jaden101

Thank **** someone finally said it. I was beginning to despair.

jinXed by JaNx
Just an FYI, the Moon and it's gravitational pull is the reason why Earth isn't barren like Mars, it acts as a balancing agent, keeping Earth's orbit/rotation in check, given us or wonderful climates and steady seasons.

nu uh

Robtard
Thanks.

I was gonna say....solar eclipse (as a stark contrast to the idea that there is literally a dark side of the moon that never sees light) for $500, Alex. But ya sort of beat me to da punch.

Originally posted by jaden101
Thank **** someone finally said it. I was beginning to despair.

The "dark side" and the "far side" are two different entities, there is a spot in the Southern Hemisphere, iirc, where sunlight never touches, aka The Dark Side of The Moon. The Far Side is often mistakingly labeld The Dark Side.

I watched a show on the Moon.

Ushgarak
That's not a dark 'side', Robtard. How the heck is that meant to be a 'side'? That's ridiculous. At best it is a tiny irrelevant dark spot. Furthermore, you were clearly using it in the sense that people use when they mean 'far side'.

No point wriggling out of this. You used the wrong term, it happens. It's been put right.

Robtard
You see, I tried to be civil, but your gigantic childish ego has you flinging insults.

I specifically mentioned "spot" when I was talking to 'Hewhoknowsall':

But if you want to believe a stone-age level species lives on the moon in an area where sunlight never reaches and some sort of magical chemical exist only on that spot, go for it. I've heard crazier batshit ideas, as I've read multiple religious texts.

From Wiki on the Moon, as I don't remember or have access to the show I watched: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon

"Tidal forces between Earth and the Moon have slowed the moon's rotation so that the same side is always facing the Earth. The other face, which is never visible from the Earth in its entirety (18% of it can be seen under some conditions), is therefore called the "far side of the Moon". The far side should not be confused with the "dark side" (the hemisphere that is not illuminated by the Sun at a given point in time), as the two are the same only during a full moon. Both the near and far sides receive (on average) almost equal amounts of light from the Sun. However, the term "dark side of the moon" is used commonly to refer to the far side. The far side of the moon actually gets fractionally more direct sun light than the near side, due to the fact that it is never subject to a terrestrial eclipse. However, because of earthshine (reflected sunlight from the earth back to the moon) the total illumination on the near side is slightly greater than the far side"

Ushgarak
Me poitning out that your use of the term 'Dark Side' was wrong is nothing to do with ego, Robtard. Your own humiliating attempts to get out from that do betray yours.

Your quote is utterly irrelevant,. As everyone can see you used the term 'Dark Side' more than once in this thread, erroneously where you should have said 'far side'. It is in your first post in this thread, for everyone to read. And you are trying to pretend that you did not make this mistake? Have you lost your mind? Everyone can see it!

Secondly what you just said from wiki... is ALSO irrelevant. It backs what I said, and again makes clear that there is no dark side, just one small, dark area that isn't even a fraction of a side. So you trying to say that the tiny area you refer to is also called the Dark Side, as you just did in your previous post, is utterly wrong.

You are making a fool of yourself. This is feeble. Just accept you used the wrong term and either back out or move on, but don't make yourself look any sillier trying to defend the clearly indefensible.

Placidity
Haha, reading the last post of this topic I would've thought this was Star Wars related.

Anyway, who says NASA can do whatever they like? Whom does the moon belong to really?

Robtard
^That spot is referred to as the "dark side" (correctly), you didn't know this, it's why you knee-jerked.

Ushgarak
No it is not. It absolutely is not, and nor does what you posted, yourself, say that. Can you seriously not see that?

There is no such thing as the dark side of the Moon. That's all there is to it.

Robtard
Despite there being an area where sunlight never touches and it's referred to as "the dark side", because of this quality, okay.

BTW, the alien mega dome conspiracy/luncy is suppose to be in this area of the S. Hemisphere. Bet you didn't know that either.

Symmetric Chaos
^That spot is referred to as the "dark side" (correctly), you didn't know this, it's why you knee-jerked.

Nah, "dark side of the moon" is just an alternate name for "far side of the moon". Apparently astronomers can't see the difference between Pink Floyd and Gary Larson.

Placidity
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

But seriously, I think George Lucas agrees there is such thing as the Dark side.

Ushgarak
Robtard... is there something wrong with you? What you posted above from wiki... does not say that. I cannot put it any more clear than this.

You may as well be saying the Moon is made of cheese. There is no spot referred to as the dark side as you say, Robtard. But you have lost perspective so totally you cannot see that. It's rather depressing.

Every time you say thetre there is this spot called the dark side... you are either mis-informed or lying. You are unsupported, unscientific and utterly wrong. And all you can do is post quotes from articles that say I am right.

Robtard
Robtard... is there something wrong with you? What you posted above from wiki... does not say that. I cannot put it any more clear than this.

You may as well be saying the Moon is made of cheese. There is no spot referred to as the dark side as you say, Robtard. But you have lost perspective so totally you cannot see that. It's rather depressing.

"The far side should not be confused with the "dark side" (the hemisphere that is not illuminated by the Sun at a given point in time" -wiki

Robtard
Nah, "dark side of the moon" is just an alternate name for "far side of the moon". Apparently astronomers can't see the difference between Pink Floyd and Gary Larson.

Far Side is mistakenly referred to as the Dark Side.

Ushgarak
Yes, hence there being no such thing as the dark side of the moon. It does not exist.

Perhaps you should consider what the word 'side' means in relation to planets.

As I say, it's irrelevant anyway. You were cleasrly using ';dark side' in this thread where you meant ''far side'. It is so amazingly clear that you did that that I am amazed you are still dragging this on, looking more foolish with every post.

Symmetric Chaos
"The far side should not be confused with the "dark side" (the hemisphere that is not illuminated by the Sun at a given point in time" -wiki

Erm, that doesn't refer to a magical "spot" that is the "real" dark side because it is always dark there. In fact wiki specifically contradicts that notion.

Robtard
Yes, hence there being no such thing as the dark side of the moon. It does not exist.

Perhaps you should consider what the word 'side' means in relation to planets.

As I say, it's irrelevant anyway. You were cleasrly using ';dark side' in this thread where you meant ''far side'. It is so amazingly clear that you did that that I am amazed you are still dragging this on, looking more foolish with every post.

Despite me specifically saying to Hewhoknowsall "on that spot", yeah.

You weren't aware of this lunar spot (and the conspiracy of it), so now your ego runs rampant.

Ushgarak

What on earth is wrong with you? 'Dark Side' in that sense just means the part of the moon that is at night. There isn't a specific 'dark side', just a side that happens to be in darkness at any particular moment.

Which, as your original comic reference was to a fixed point is clearly nto what you meant either.

You have completely lost all connection with any logic or sense.

Ushgarak
Despite me specifically saying to Hewhoknowsall "on that spot", yeah.

You weren't aware of this lunar spot (and the conspiracy of it), so now your ego runs rampant.

Long after you said 'dark side', clearly in the sense of 'far side.'

You saying this is my ego when I am simply using supported facts to put down your ridicuous claims is outright trolling. Stop that now.

I hasten to add, btw, that you've not actually provided one tiny piece of evidence for this spot existing, nor any evidence that it is called the Dark Side, as you claimed, falsely, earlier.

You are just and simply in the wrong. You had better accept it, because if you cannot accept that after you clearly post misinformation and contiue to get angry about ti and argur about it when called out, you are going to run into very serious trouble.

Robtard
Erm, that doesn't refer to a magical "spot" that is the "real" dark side because it is always dark there. In fact wiki specifically contradicts that notion.

There is an area on the moon on the Southern Hem that sunlight never reaches.

Ushgarak

Says you. No evidence provided.

You also said that spot is called the dark side. A lie.

Still humiliating yourself here. As SC said, your own wiki link contradicts your own claims.

Placidity
Haha Rob, Ushgarak just pulled the troll card on you. See you soon.

Ushgarak
Placidity, if you spam in here one more time you will be warned.

Robtard
Long after you said 'dark side'.

You saying this is my ego when I am simply using supported facts to put down your ridicuous claims is outright trolling. Stop that now.

I hasted to add, btw, that you've not actually provided one tiny piece of evidence for this spot existing, nor any evidence that it is called the Dark Side, as you claimed, falsely, earlier.

You also said that spot is called the dark side. A lie.

Still humiliating yourself here. As SC said, your own wiki link contradicts your own claims.

Now you call me a troll. Next step, tell me to drop it or you'll ban me.

As I said, I don't remember the name of the show I watched or have access to it. Doing a Google search:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=28247

" LCROSS also will increase knowledge of the mineralogical makeup of some of the remote polar craters that sunlight never reaches"

There are three massive craters in this area, iirc. They're completely dark, without sun, year round. So this spot exist. You didn't know, no worries; now you do.

Ushgarak
Craters? Craters where sun does not reach? That's like talking about caves where sun does not reach!

And you specifically said this spot was called 'the dark side', which is an outright fabrication.

There are craters on Earth that can block sunlight. Does that give the Earth a dark side?

Again:

There is no such thing as the dark side of the moon. There's just a far side. The moon follows a standard day/night rotation. Half of it is dark at any one moment, half of it is light.

Robtard
Craters? Craters where sun does not reach? That's like talking about caves where sun does not reach!

And you specifically said this spot was called 'the dark side', which is an outright fabrication.

There are craters on Earth that can block sunlight. Does that give the Earth a dark side?

Again:

There is no such thing as the dark side of the moon. There's just a far side. The moon follows a standard day/night rotation. Half of it is dark at any one moment, half of it is light.

Like I said, you weren't aware of this area of the moon and you weren't aware that this area is referred to as "The Dark Side", which people often confuse with the "Far Side."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=7&contentid=2009091920090919021327953b3720db7

Ushgarak
Wait... Robtard, are you seriously having a brain seizure today?

One newspaper headline uses 'dark side'- when they MEANT to say 'far side'- and you think that changes anything? They got it wrong, you... sadly misled being. They were rferring to that entire side of the Moon with the wrong terminology, not any one specific point. The specific point happens to be IN the part that people in error, like that paper, call the dark side.

That means nothing! No-one calls one spot of craters 'the dark side'. No-one of any significance at all. It's not a 'side' of anything. It is a bunch of craters!

Did you seriously think that was evidence to back your position?

Symmetric Chaos
Like I said, you weren't aware of this area of the moon and you weren't aware that this area is referred to as "The Dark Side", which people often confuse with the "Far Side."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=7&contentid=2009091920090919021327953b3720db7

The Mumbai Mirror does not have titles written by professional astronomers.

Ushgarak
Like I say, that wasn't even what they did. They were just using 'dark side' where they meant 'far side' as they were talking about that side of the moon.

The link doesn't even mention a place of darkness- only a place of coldness. It says the sun there is remote, not that it doesn't shine in them. Not that it is impossible to have craters which block the sun to parts of somewhere, especially at the poles. That does not even remotely a 'dark side' make.

Robtard has read this entirely wrong.

Robtard
My evidence would be the show I watched(which I don't have access to), it was news to me too, there being an area referred to as "the dark side", correctly, this Southern crater network.

Spot does exist, now you know; you're welcome. It's always dark.

Ushgarak
Like I say- you may as well say that the moon is made of cheese.

Even if this programme does exist, one programme using the term 'dark side' to refer to one spot on the moon that might not get light... changes nothing. No astronomer would use the term, and the term would be meaningless. And frankly, you've shown such misunderstanding of your sources that I suspect that even if this programme is real, you probably got the wrong end of the stick with it.

There is no dark side, and you are just in a huff for being called on this.

Robtard
Ego, ego, ego.

Show was on the Science Channel.

Ushgarak
Oh, that makes all the difference! Now everything you say must be the truth, eh?

Say 'ego' all you want. Everyone can see what this is. You made a bit of a mistake, is all, and you are hoping that by yelling 'ego' at me you can erase that. You really cannot, and you make yourself look like a lesser person by trying.

It was such a small mistake, you know, and my original correction was a. not meant as a criticism (not as if you were delivering a lecture titled 'I think there is a Dark Side of the Moon') and b. not even aimed at you; several people were using it. It just seemed a good opportunity to point the issue out. But look what you have made of yourself trying to pretend you never made that small error.

Robtard
You can think I didn't watch this show, you can't think I misheard something or you can think that the Science Channel doesn't exist, either way, it doesn't make a difference to me.

You learned something about the moon today which you didn't know about yesterday, that Southern area, where sunlight never reaches. it's good enough for me.

WickedDynamite
Someone guide me here...why and what does this accomplish?

Please no smart-ass remarks. That's just for folks with egos.

Ushgarak
Actually I knew there were craters on the Moon that the sun didn;t get to all of (those exist on nearly all solid bodies in space). It never occurred to me that anyone would try and call this the Dark Side of the moon, when such a lebel is clearly preposterous.

All I have learned today is how desperate some people get to defend a hopeless position.

Robtard

Clearly, you knew.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Someone guide me here...why and what does this accomplish?

Please no smart-ass remarks. That's just for folks with egos.

It might prove that there is or was water on the moon. Or according to the first article it's a deliberate attack on well known moon civilizations.

Shakyamunison
There is no dark side of the moon. If anyone has listened to the end of the album, then it is made absolutely clear, there is no dark side of the moon. However, there is a dark side of Mercury.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
There is no dark side of the moon. If anyone has listened to the end of the album, then it is made absolutely clear, there is no dark side of the moon. However, there is a dark side of Mercury.

Nope, Mercury rotates but it is very slow compared to all the other planets.

WickedDynamite
It might prove that there is or was water on the moon. Or according to the first article it's a deliberate attack on well known moon civilizations.

Uh-huh....well, that made my day so far. Thanks SC.

Shakyamunison
Nope, Mercury rotates but it is very slow compared to all the other planets.

Well, maybe your right. My information might be out of date.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_4_110/ai_74693741/

dadudemon
In Robtard's defense, I did see the same program on the moon. It was titled something about the importance of the moon or the Earth's companion or something like that. The Science Channel used to have an entire evening dedicated to astro-physics and astronomy. It used to be like that on Thursdays, if I can remember properly. They may still have that. But, I haven't had cable in over 2 years.

It did have a part about a portion on the southern hemisphere never getting any light and it talked about it being the coldest in the solar system.

However, I don't remember anywhere, even in my astronomy classes, of that portion being referred to as the "dark-side." It was usually "spot" or "portion" but never "side."

Robtard
Thanks DDM, but let it go. Was foolish of me to get in a shit-sling match.

Bicnarok
Just read on the "space weather.com" website that theres actually been loads of "impacts" initiated by humans on the moon. Over the years Nasa and other space agencies have peppered the moon with dozens of spacecraft. So if there is some form of life there, they must be well pissed off by now.

Link 1

Link 2

gotmovies
Definitely a crazy time we live. Just hope they don't throw off the earths orbit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.