Obama wins Nobel Peace prize

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
Just noticed on the news that Barrack Obama won the nobel peace prize.

I personally think this is a joke, I mean what has he done?

heres a poll to see what folk think.

Bicnarok

Robtard
Apparently for 'promoting diplomacy'. It was voted for in Feb, dude had been in office less than a fortnight. What the **** are they doing in Stockholm?

Darth Jello
The prize was decided 11 days after he was in office and it's already a joke. They gave the damn thing to Jimmy Carter, Yassir Arafat, and Henry Kissinger for God's sake.

In lighter news, Rush Limbaugh is going to be a Miss America judge. One of the new rules is that all contestants must wear metal bikinis and chains and lay across his stomach for the duration of the competition.

here's a preview- http://www.rackjite.com/graphics/rushjabba.jpg

WhoopeeDee
The Nobel Peace Prize is becoming like The Oscars...whoever is more popular wins.

inimalist
(insert obscenity filled rant)

MildPossession
Are there nominations for this prize? do they just decide someone, or have a group of nominations to work with and then decide?

Did he do all this work before he became President as well?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by MildPossession
Are there nominations for this prize? do they just decide someone, or have a group of nominations to work with and then decide?

Did he do all this work before he became President as well?

It must be for what he will do. I just want to know were they are hiding the time machine.

Darth Jello
Apparently the beer garden thing clenched it. I'm just not shocked because again, they've given it to war mongering assholes. The peace prize is meaningless, especially when you consider it's named after the guy who invented TNT.

Blinky
This is just part of the mindless "ObamaMania" that has over taken the world. It's funny that he is receiving the Nobel PEACE prize while he simultaneously sends more and more troops to die/kill in both Afghanistan and Iran.

Darth Jello
To be fair, he never sent troops to Iran, however your point fits with mine.

inimalist
I think what needs to be mentioned is that Obama is, and was in his entire campaign, an active war mongering *******.

according to:

http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=60323

reasons justifying him recieving this prize include:

"captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future"

"his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

though adds:

Despite setting out an ambitious international agenda, he has yet to score any breakthrough on the Middle East or Iran's nuclear program, and faces difficult choices on the conduct of the war in Afghanistan.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=60323

reasons justifying him recieving this prize include:

"captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future"

It's not a Nobel Hope prize.

Bardock42
Please, the peace prize has always been a joke. It means nothing.

Bicnarok

Darth Jello
Actually we would give it to someone who punched someone 5 times but decided not to punch them 6 times.

Bicnarok
I wonder if Obama ever had to punch someone or has experienced violence of any kind. You probably have to experience the horror of violence to understand what peace really is ehsmile

Darth Jello
By the same logic, we should give Sarah Palin the Congressional medal of Honor for her tireless work spying on Russia with binoculars from the roof of her house.

Bardock42

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
Please, the peace prize has always been a joke. It means nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_Peace_Prize_laureates

I have to say, imho its really only the last 10 years, and especially the last 5 years that it is overtly so politicized with clearly undeserving liberals being awarded the prize.

But even saying that, Muhammad Yunus winning in 2006 is an awesome choice.

Darth Jello
I'm enjoying the overreaction by the Right Wing and the craziness when Glenn Beck says that he should give the award to him for his 9/12 Project and on behalf of the tea baggers. I mean yeah, he didn't deserve it but that doesn't warrant the shit they've been spewing about it this morning. It pretty much fits in with what Alan Grayson said yesterday to congress.

Obama could invent the cure for fat and the conservatives would blame him for objectifying women and for being history's greatest monster in some other way. Although I'm sure Rush Limbaugh would still buy it illegally.

Shakyamunison

The prize goes to:

BARACK OBAMA for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.

http://nobelprizes.com/nobel/peace/peace.html

inimalist
Announcement:

http://nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1173

reasons given:

-Envisioning a nuclear free world (how many bombs has he disarmed?)
-Reestablishing unilateral negotiations (not with the Taliban... doesn't this also mean: "following the laws he agreed to follow"?)
-Respecting the role of the UN and international institutions (A qualification shared by the leaders of almost all first world nations)
-Addressing climate change (which apparently strengthens democracy and human rights...)
-Captured the world's attention (Bush did it)
-Hope for a better future (irrelevant)
-His values about diplomacy are the same as those shared by the majority of the world (this is getting to the point of nonsense...)

post announcement interview

http://nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1174

3 qualifications for the peace prize as outlined by Alfred Nobel

-Improved relations between nations
-Reductions in the sizes of armed forces (they give him this because he envisions a world without nuclear weapons)
-holding of peace conference (which they give him for international diplomacy, which is the same as the first...)

Basically, they gave it to him because he was not a neo-con war monger, but a pseudo liberal war monger

anyways, ironically, the Nobel site is terrible, so the links might not work.

EDIT: that second video, crazy obama worship from the guy...

Symmetric Chaos
Announcement:

http://nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1173

reasons given:

-Captured the world's attention

Holy crap, it really takes nothing to get a Nobel Peace prize.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

That pisses me off. I think I will send mine back. big grin

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
That pisses me off. I think I will send mine back. big grin Just recycle...

...I'll take it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Just recycle...

...I'll take it.

laughing out loud You don't have enough room on your mantel.

Symmetric Chaos
What can we expect from the prize committee that when looking at physics though the photoelectric effect was cooler than relativity?

Robtard
Originally posted by Robtard
Apparently for 'promoting diplomacy'. It was voted for in Feb, dude had been in office less than a fortnight. What the **** are they doing in Stockholm?

I'd like to correct myself. He was nominated in Feb, voted in in Oct.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
There are so many people who better deserve it than obama and al gore and others. The prize is just stupidity at this point.

inimalist
who do you think deserved it more this year?

Robtard
The Nobel has become a political tool. I'm just curious if making Obama out to be an ass here was intentional or just a poorly planned idea.

I'd like to think it was a move to make the Bush years look shittier, but happened to backfire.

inimalist
from the sound of the committee members talking about him, I don't think they wanted to make him look bad.

Though I agree, it will be very difficult for him to accept the award

Robtard
I'd guess that before the other. But.

He's stuck, if he accepts, then he looks like a pampered a-hole. If he doesn't, people will label him an inconsiderate a-hole, who thinks himself above all.

I'd like to the the list of people he beat, but it's to remain sealed for 50 years. As is procedure for the NPP. I'll mark my calendar.

WhoopeeDee
Maybe he got the prize for shaking hands with Hugo Chavez. Although I would award the "WD World Prize in Coolness" if someone would KO Chavez rigth on the kisser.

inimalist
I'd guess that before the other. But.

He's stuck, if he accepts, then he looks like a pampered a-hole. If he doesn't, people will label him an inconsiderate a-hole, who thinks himself above all.

not even that, they've built up things he mentioned on the campaign trail or maybe his book, and extrapolated it to mean he is going to pass major resolutions on arms control and nuclear disarmament, at the same time getting the rest of the world to solve climate change, at the same time as not only rebuilding America's image, but diplomatically solving some of the most intractable problems in the world.

Its almost assured he is going to fall short of what they are giving him the award for.

I'd like to the the list of people he beat, but it's to remain sealed for 50 years. As is procedure for the NPP. I'll mark my calendar.

The only other name I've seen is Nicolas Sarkozy. Maybe it was a slow year, even though they had a record number of nominees.

Symmetric Chaos
not even that, they've built up things he mentioned on the campaign trail or maybe his book, and extrapolated it to mean he is going to pass major resolutions on arms control and nuclear disarmament, at the same time getting the rest of the world to solve climate change, at the same time as not only rebuilding America's image, but diplomatically solving some of the most intractable problems in the world.

Its almost assured he is going to fall short of what they are giving him the award for.

He probably will rebuild America's image. The rest are things they couldn't begin to guess at (unless he secretly solved the mid-East crisis his first week in and is waiting to mention that they're just play fighting over there).

On a side not I've never even understood why people expect a "nuclear free" world as a remote possibility. It's like trying to get a "knife free" world but on an international scale.

The only other name I've seen is Nicolas Sarkozy. Maybe it was a slow year, even though they had a record number of nominees.

There were a couple people in China and the Mid-East who were expected to have nominations. Most of them are locked up for "inciting subversion of the government" or such at the moment.

Red Nemesis
What can we expect from the prize committee that when looking at physics though the photoelectric effect was cooler than relativity?
wut?

And this is for real? He actually got it?

shiv
Obama got the award because Europe and the Rest of The World Rooted for him in The US Presidential Campagin.

When he spoke outside the U.S. addressing the world Media he was well received. The only other U.S. national to cultivate such a large scale positive reception outside the U.S. is (insert name here)

Obama was given the Award on the strength of his Speeches and not for Achievements in Office.

It is common knowledge his speeches are usually made fun of within the U.S.

Outside the U.S. they have made a tangible impact in mitigating tension built up by previous administrations.

shiv
voted No. for he does not deserve the Award.

jaden101
The Nobel Peace Prize for someone who's about to take the decision to send 40,000 more troops into Afghanistan.

Nice.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
wut?

Einstein?

Red Nemesis
Photoelectric effect?

Wikipedia.

Profit!

nvrmnd

lil bitchiness
Nobel has been spinning in his grave for the past 10 years...

Bat Dude
Obama won based on his campaign...

When has anyone won the Nobel Peace Prize based on a political campaign?

Obama winning is a joke...

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
The Nobel Peace Prize for someone who's about to take the decision to send 40,000 more troops into Afghanistan.

Nice.

Peace is often found by means of fighting.

WhoopeeDee
I dunno if he qualifies but Paul Newman should have been consider or at least a candidate.

Tigurh56
I really find this to be total bullsh*t

He's been in office for a few months and he hasn't even really done anything. Based on this, it seems they should've given Michael Jackson a posthumous Peace Prize

RocasAtoll
Krugman won a Nobel Peace Prize. They really didn't matter after that.

reasons given:

-Envisioning a nuclear free world (how many bombs has he disarmed?)
-Reestablishing unilateral negotiations (not with the Taliban... doesn't this also mean: "following the laws he agreed to follow"?)
-Respecting the role of the UN and international institutions (A qualification shared by the leaders of almost all first world nations)
-Addressing climate change (which apparently strengthens democracy and human rights...)
-Captured the world's attention (Bush did it)
-Hope for a better future (irrelevant)
-His values about diplomacy are the same as those shared by the majority of the world (this is getting to the point of nonsense...)
Billy Mays should have won this first. Theres a true oreator and he NEVER in his entire life made a political blunder. He envisioned a spot free world, constantly promoting the cleaning power of oxi-clean. He convinced millions to agree with him due to his negotiational values and he promoted a better world with the countless products he convinced the public to utilize to achieve this better, cleaner, safer world.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
Billy Mays should have won this first. Theres a true oreator and he NEVER in his entire life made a political blunder. He envisioned a spot free world, constantly promoting the cleaning power of oxi-clean. He convinced millions to agree with him due to his negotiational values and he promoted a better world with the countless products he convinced the public to utilize to achieve this better, cleaner, safer world.

Unfortunately he tended to disturb the peace where ever he went and in most of Europe it was legal to shoot him on sight.

dadudemon
Unfortunately he tended to disturb the peace where ever he went and in most of Europe it was legal to shoot him on sight.

Links or it didn't happen.

MildOne4

MAYS and ANDERSON '12! Happy Dance

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Links or it didn't happen.

www.billymays.com/why-i-can-never-go-back-to-europe/

KidRock
The stupid award is a joke anyway.

Do they at least give you some money when you're award this? Or is it some lame plack?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by KidRock
The stupid award is a joke anyway.

Do they at least give you some money when you're award this? Or is it some lame plack?

Over a million dollars.

lil bitchiness

Until this happened, in order to win one you had to be a war criminal or a war monger exploiting war ravaged areas. Now even that is not a criteria.
Just lazy.

Originally posted by MildOne4
MAYS and ANDERSON '12! Happy Dance Unfortunately my runningmate is deceased.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
The Nobel Peace Prize is becoming like The Oscars...whoever is more popular wins.

MildOne4
Unfortunately my runningmate is deceased.

May I replace him?

chithappens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJuEOaF84o

An interesting take on Obama receiving the award. Gives some context that I hadn't considered before.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by chithappens

An interesting take on Obama receiving the award. Gives some context that I hadn't considered before.

Not really that interesting nor does it offer a different perspective. The lady speaking on the ''news'' is so bias it is actually taking my attention off everything else apart from her extravagant face expressions and over exaggerated body language.

Also, it says nothing that makes me think he should have won the prize - especially since he's not been in the office a year yet. Desmond Tutu, although I have my personal opinions about this man, has worked around 10 years in his efforts before he received a Nobel Peace Prize. He actually put some effort IN for 10 years before he was recognized.

Obama receiving this award is a joke...just like Kissinger receiving it, Arhistaari receiving it and a whole lot of undeserving persons in the past 10-15 years.

RocasAtoll

That's idiotic. Her examples are apples and oranges. All the examples she gave fought something for years or actually did anything, instead of just getting into office.

chithappens
Who deserves the prize now (like this year) and how should this be determined?

But why would you compare Obama getting this to Kissinger in any way? The man was accused of war crimes and is certainly fair from inspiring peace as history has shown. It looks like you are just saying some shit cause you don't like Obama.

I agree that he might not "deserve" the award right now but he is the symbol for the hope of a lot of people, deservedly or not, it is what it is right now. For all the the things people have said about him not deserving it, not one person on these random editorals, on these forums, etc. have bothered to name a nominee for the 2009 prize and make a case for why that person should have the award. There were 205 nominees (some groups, some individuals) and I have yet to see anyone say should have gotten the award for other sutff. Yes, they would be in poor taste, but it's not like a lot of outlets care about bad taste and still no one has made a case for a different nominee.

I think it's fine to believe he shouldn't have won the award but at least have someone else in mind and say that was a better candidate rather than just bash Obama cause he is not the precise ideal you think he should be.

illadelph12
hfZqMkdpYi0

Ember45
I love how I'm trying to debate this with my mother, and she's actually angry at me for not supporting Obama (we're black btw)

illadelph12
I have the same problem with my Mom and lil sis. It's like the brotha can do no wrong. A lot of brothas and sistas out here are looking more at Barack's accomplishment of his campaign and becoming President and taking a sense of pride from that rather than looking at the actual policies and results we've had in his now 8 months of his term, for the "change".

This isn't about skin pigment, it's about results and accountability.

Ember45
Yeah. Personally he could be a penguin for all I care, as long as he's actually doing some good. And he really does not deserve that nobel prize, not just yet

inimalist
There were 205 nominees (some groups, some individuals) and I have yet to see anyone say should have gotten the award for other sutff. Yes, they would be in poor taste, but it's not like a lot of outlets care about bad taste and still no one has made a case for a different nominee.

The nominees are kept confidential, the only ones the media knows, from what I can find, are Sarkozy and Obama.

as for better people who should have won, off the top of my head, Mo Ibrahim or Romeo Dallaire. Probably not the most appropriate picks for 2009 (Ibrahim still needs to prove the worth of his African Governance foundation, and Dallaire is best known for his role in the Rwandan genocide, though is on a "crusade" to end the use of child soldiers) but both are a clear head and shoulders above Obama.

jinXed by JaNx
Al gore wins the nobel prize for making an infactual documentary consisting of a power point presentation and Bama wins for being the first black president. Meanwhile, Harrison ford saves people in his helicopter while the forest burns down around them and Sean Penn pulls drowning victims out of sewer water into a row boat and they get nothing. Man, i remember when the Nobel Prize had standards.

Dr Will Hatch
Meanwhile...

Lisa Simpson has won the Nobel Prize for KICKBOXING!

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Meanwhile...

Lisa Simpson has won the Nobel Prize for KICKBOXING!

gtfo..,when?

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
gtfo..,when? It depends, is there an age requirement to win the Nobel Prize? Sometime when she's an adult. :P

chomperx9
YT5Kl38fSVY

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by chomperx9
YT5Kl38fSVY

Haha!

chomperx9
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Haha! its funny but also true.

obama also was offended by that skit. i mean come on there was like over a 100 bush skits on SNL when bush was president and he didnt give a damn.

Symmetric Chaos
its funny but also true.

obama also was offended by that skit. i mean come on there was like over a 100 bush skits on SNL when bush was president and he didnt give a damn.

no expression

chomperx9
no expression so what he says in the video is not true ?

Symmetric Chaos
Try again.

chomperx9
Try again. so the bush skits on Snl ? theres many of them and i dont remember the country or even bush at the time making a big deal of the humor that was on SNL at the time. they even made a cartoon of bush for awhile. i admit that cartoon was a waste of time and money dont think anyone watched that really.

Bardock42
its funny but also true.

Source (for Obama being offended by it)

RocasAtoll
I think it's fine to believe he shouldn't have won the award but at least have someone else in mind and say that was a better candidate rather than just bash Obama cause he is not the precise ideal you think he should be.
Try these for start:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/10/meet_the_people_who_were_passe_1.asp

chithappens
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Try these for start:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/10/meet_the_people_who_were_passe_1.asp

Did you know about those people before this or was that just a google search?

inimalist

how relevant is that, unless of course mr. Atoll is on the Nobel selection committee?

dadudemon
how relevant is that, unless of course mr. Atoll is on the Nobel selection committee?

I think Chithappens is accusing him of being an internet warrior with points being found on the fly for the sake of argument.

inimalist

lil bitchiness
Ahtisaari is cancer of the world. One word - Africa.

However, even he was involved in his damaging policies longer than Obama was a politician.

inimalist
arguable

his work with the IRA and the Free Ache movement, not to mention Kosovo, give him more credibility than Obama. I'm not saying he should have got the award, just that there is more reason to give it to him than Obama.

dadudemon
even if we assume that is true, how is that relevant?

I dunno. But that's what I got out of his post. Just tryin' to help you understand what his point was, not defend his position.

I personally couldn't care less about this topic other than to say that Obama didn't deserve to win. That's it. Isn't it obvious to everyone?

inimalist
It is obvious, but it is also unfortunate. Nobel prizes in the sciences are still very reputable. The Nobel Committee is only making itself irrelevant.

over $1mil and the notoriety that come along with such an award can be such huge motivators for peace, if for no other reason, the people fighting in the trenches have more resources, and for a day or two, the world pretends to care about their issue.

Giving it to the rich leader of the most powerful country... not so cool.

This prize could have real meaning

dadudemon
It is obvious, but it is also unfortunate. Nobel prizes in the sciences are still very reputable. The Nobel Committee is only making itself irrelevant.

Indeed. Which is what I thought when I first heard it on the radio while driving to work. I was like "WTF? This thing is worthless, now!" I care about the nobel prizes as far s the sciences go. Only thing I care about is the degradation of those prizes when I heard teh newz.

inimalist
What also bothers me is that this takes away from any previous winner.

Look at this thread, from the beginning (myself included) the statements were, "past 10 years there have been no real winners" etc.

So, now the Grameen Bank or MSF look like Liberal elites who won the same honour as Gore and Obama, while their work is in dire need of more publicity for the exact opposite reason. This act takes away credibility from any individual or organization which may have deservingly won the prize.

inimalist
Robert Fisk on the Obama win

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-obama-man-of-peace-no-just-a-nobel-prize-of-a-mistake-1800928.html

very good read, and not just because it says stuff I agree with.

What also bothers me is that this takes away from any previous winner.
I thought that this happened when al gore won last year for a power-point presentation on global warming.

lil bitchiness
arguable

his work with the IRA and the Free Ache movement, not to mention Kosovo, give him more credibility than Obama. I'm not saying he should have got the award, just that there is more reason to give it to him than Obama.

Wait, you mean his active support for dismandeling a sovergin nation along ethnic borders which has been ceased forecefully though illegal immigration and expulsion of indigenous peoples dating back to communist Yugoslavia?

Not to mention charges that he was taking bribes while working on his mission in Kosovo.

Greg Copley, the chairman of the International Strategic Studies Association, confirmed on July 14th 2008 I believe, that his organization has seen intelligence documents from German BND showing that Ahtisaari accepted bribes from the Albanian mafia.

And do not even get me started on his dirty money grabbing fingers doing their work in Africa. It just makes me sick.

Credibility...right.

Nobel prize has no credibility, and it hasn't had it for however many years. Obama winning it just probes this in the most obvious of ways - he absolutely did nothing apart from lead one very clever popularity campaign.

Other than that, I don't see how Obama could have won. I just do not see.

Does it surprise me? No...considering past winners, it does not surprise me he won.
What is surprising however is that other ''winners'' were actually involved in something (damaging mostly) for number of years...at least.

RocasAtoll
I knew of Hu Jia and Wei Jingsheng. The article was taken from someone sending it to me, not from me looking for it.

WickedDynamite
Yeah....

ChakraStrings
He wins the Nobel Peace prize for sending 30,000 soldiers back to a war that should have never been fought. Yeah I guess it makes sense. Stupid governments.

chomperx9
Originally posted by ChakraStrings
He wins the Nobel Peace prize for sending 30,000 soldiers back to a war that should have never been fought. Yeah I guess it makes sense. Stupid governments. atleast it wasnt 30,000 more soldies being sent to the iraq war. that would have been worse.

PENIS-ENVY
obama

WickedDynamite
Interesting speech....

CloneCaptin Fox
I think no because this son of a ***** has no did anything good and is messing up the world and sending troops to Iraq and get there self killed.So hell no mad mad mad mad

dadudemon
Originally posted by CloneCaptin Fox
I think no because this son of a ***** has no did anything good and is messing up the world and sending troops to Iraq and get there self killed.So hell no mad mad mad mad

He sent......more troops to Iraq?????????????????????????

I thought he not only lesesned the troops there, he has an exit plan being executed as I type?

GCG
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/k/3/3/Bad-Sign-and-Good-Sign.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
He sent......more troops to Iraq?????????????????????????

I thought he not only lesesned the troops there, he has an exit plan being executed as I type?

He's decreasing troops in Iraq and increasing troops in Afghanistan.

dadudemon

Yeah, I know that (obviously). That wasn't the point of my post. If you'll notice, the newb said, "and sending troops to Iraq and get there self killed.So hell no."

inimalist
Originally posted by GCG
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/k/3/3/Bad-Sign-and-Good-Sign.jpg

except that the specific plans of those who plotted 9-11 were to have America invade Muslim nations...

actually, as far as the propaganda war and "hearts and minds" are concerned, arguably some of the most important aspects to counter-terrorism, a pull out is the only way to succeed.

for instance, this is a much more accurate cartoon:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/43/badsignandgoodsign.jpg

*"Oh shit, now we wont have any way to motivate Muslims from across the world to come to Pakistan to blow themselves up. The Pakistani military will be able to hold order in our nation and the people will realize that we are more violent than the Americans are and will turn against us"

Also, notice, the terrorists are now properly labeled "Al Qaeda" and not "Taliban". They are not the same thing, and it is sad the author of the cartoon wasn't aware of this.

inimalist

as far as I remember, however, the 100 000+ security contractors are staying put

chomperx9
laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.