H1N1 Vaccine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WickedDynamite
Simple YES, NO, or even UNDECIDED will be sufficient. No need to go over medical, political, conspiracy stuff here....

Will you get the shot or nasal spray this fall?

Shakyamunison
I will get the shot.

Darth Jello
Just don't get it if you are already vaccinated for seasonal flu, that has shown to end very badly.

jaden101
I wont. Not out of belief of some ridiculous conspiracy that it kills people but borne out of the fact that it's completely uneccesary because your chances of dying from H1N1 are about 1,000th of that of normal flu.

Kelly_Bean
NO.

Originally posted by jaden101
I wont. Not out of belief of some ridiculous conspiracy that it kills people but borne out of the fact that it's completely uneccesary because your chances of dying from H1N1 are about 1,000th of that of normal flu.
qft.

Ahsoka Tano
Effects mostly children and middle age people especially in the medical field.

King Kandy
Nah. Most people who've caught it, have just gotten sick and then got over it. And i'm pretty healthy.

Digi
I'm getting the regular flu shot in a couple days. But that's far more prevalent and potentially dangerous (not to me necessarily but those around me, particularly elderly, if I become sick). Lost in the conspiracies, which I believe intend good to do good even if they're misguided, is that unnecessary paranoia over the safety of shots causes far more deaths and illnesses than it prevents.

I teach, though, so it's also good because of that. Kids are dropping like flies with missed days, and teachers aren't immune.

dadudemon
I don't remember that last time I got the flu, period. Maybe 15 years? More?

I never get strep. and I don't remember the last time I had the flu.

The only time I get sick is from eating rotten food. Yes, I'm serious. I'm like homer simpson and his sub. (If any of you remember that episode.)

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by jaden101

jaden101
Lets look at the stats for the UK

between 50 and 200 people in every 100,000 get seasonal flu every year in the UK. (doesn't include people who get flu but don't see their Dr)

There's 60,000,000 people in the UK.

So that's at best 3000 and at worst 12,000.

The death rate for seasonal flu is about 600 per year.

So even though we're in an epidemic for swine flu (18,000 new cases in England alone in 1 week up to 8th Oct) there has been 90 deaths in total since the media blew the entire thing out of proportion some 4 months ago.

In the same time frame there would've been 200 normal flu deaths despite there being some 1000-4000 cases. In 4 months there would've been about 45,000 cases of swine flu due to the epidemic.

So.

Population: 60,000,000

Seasonal flu infections and deaths in 4 months

infections: 1000-4000
deaths: 200
% of population that catch seasonal flu: 0.0016-0.0066
% of those cases that die: 5-20

Swine flu
infections: 45,000
deaths: 90
% of population that catch swine flu: 0.075
% of those cases that die: 0.2

Ushgarak
Err, Jaden, I think you might have messed up there. The 50-200 per 100000 is not yearly, it is weekly.

How on Earth could you have believed numbers that said standard flu has a 5%-20% death rate? That would be insane. When your workings throw up a number that absurd, it is time to think again.

I am far from alarmist on swine flu, but its death rate is in no way as comparitively low as you say. A 0.2% mortality rate is actually pretty high, you know. Think how many that would kill if it spread to a million people, or ten million, or a hundred.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Err, Jaden, I think you might have messed up there. The 50-200 per 100000 is not yearly, it is weekly.

How on Earth could you have believed numbers that said standard flu has a 5%-20% death rate? That would be insane.

From the NHS website.

I did notice those % were too high though.

It's far too early in the morning for me to be doing sums anyway.

The point is...You're far less likely to die from swine flu than seasonal flu. Far more people are getting swine flu and far less people are dying from it. Yet we have a media trying to scare people into buying a vaccine....Why?

Ushgarak
Here is where the numbers come from:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733821514?p=1191942171484

Per 100,000 per week. The idea that only a few thousand people every year see their GPs about flu, in a country of sixty million, is equally absurd. That would be, what, just over thirty cases a day seeing their GP? In the entire country? Good Lord no. Maybe 30 cases an hour, during a seasonal period.

Sorry- you are actually more likely to die from swine flu. Though the chances are negligible in either case.

BackFire
Not getting it.

Bicnarok

jaden101

Sorry- you are actually more likely to die from swine flu. Though the chances are negligible in either case.

So if we're in the middle of an epidemic at an infection rate for the month up to 8th October of 18,000 then how come there's only been 90 UK deaths from swine flu (most of which were actually resulted from "underlying health issues"...a term which I hate) yet yearly from Seasonal flu in non epidemic years there is 600 (the figure is higher when those same complications as swine flu are factored in)

I'd say the only real argument for getting the vaccine is economic and I don't just mean the selling of the vaccine. If you get swine flu and end up off work for a week then it costs you, your company, the government all in monetary terms. Multiply this up across hundreds of thousands of people and it can effect the economy detrimentaly in a time when it really doesn't need extra strain.

Ushgarak
The reason you are (negligibly) more likely to die from swine flu from another strain is a. because it is more virulent and b. because 'seasonal flu' refers to all other flu strains going around, not just one. The single strain most likely to get you is swine. But in essence... it's not worth worrying about.

Darth Jello
H1N1 has historically also killed more people than any other known disease in the history of the world, lets not forget that. It has this propensity in some cases to attack the lungs and central nervous system, especially in healthy adults. The vaccine itself has historically had some deadly side effects, especially when combined with the seasonal flu vaccine. I would pick the H1N1 vaccine this year and skip out on the other. As an administrator at a home care company, I can tell you that the local CDC has been giving us some pretty grim predictors mainly having to do with the health system and predicting that the US and Colorado especially will be hit worse and have more fatalities than any other place in the western world.

jaden101
The reason you are (negligibly) more likely to die from swine flu from another strain is a. because it is more virulent and b. because 'seasonal flu' refers to all other flu strains going around, not just one. The single strain most likely to get you is swine. But in essence... it's not worth worrying about.

And I sure as hell aint.

I do worry about the idiots who fall for the scaremongering though. Well, the fact that they get the vote.

jaden101
Originally posted by Darth Jello
the local CDC has been giving us some pretty grim predictors mainly having to do with the health system and predicting that the US and Colorado especially will be hit worse and have more fatalities than any other place in the western world.

The Dry air in Colorado the problem?

WickedDynamite
Here is the states the lowest it can is $5 for the shot or spray. I keep hearing that in some places in Northern County (SD) the vaccine will be free. If it's free...why not?

Darth Jello
Actually its because our state has always been horribly run in regards to public works, infrastructure, and health care. We're the ones who have record numbers of people dying from MSRA in the hospitals due to unsanitary conditions, we're the ones with incredibly cramped waiting rooms, we're the ones who instead of raising taxes to pay for our budget deficit (despite having some of the lowest taxes in the country) dumped mentally ill people into prisons, gave huge private subsidies to companies, are bankrupting hospitals, and have actually slashed our minimum wage below the federal minimum wage. Oh, then there was the case where budget cutting led to a Rose Hospital running an inadequate background check on a drug addict nurse who ended up infecting possibly over 10,000 people with HCV and the constant reports of patient dumping at St. Joseph's which serves most of West Denver, Lakewood, Wheatridge, and Edgewater. If there is a full blown epidemic, the Denver Metro area is completely ****ed, Boulder is ****ed as well because of how centralized and inefficient their hospital system is as well as its reputation for patient dumping and tiny waiting rooms. The rest of the state isn't much better. Basically, this will get bad from cramped ER waiting rooms where the virus will very quickly spread and mutate. Other states like Texas will probably be even worse considering that more than half the population use emergency care as their primary care. Quite frankly, if the 1918 outbreak is any indication coupled with the piss poor marks, we may be heading towards a catastrophe that will have a lot of very negative effects but may at least force the government's hand on some things like universal health care and employment. Kind of hard not to do something when your population has been decimated (I use decimation in the actual meaning of the word, meaning destruction of one in ten).
Again my argument is not a comment on modern technology. It's a warning about modern infrastructure, society, sanitation, health, and any number of factors that will spread the disease and will allow it to mutate and become more dangerous, faster and our health care system's inability to provide adequate relief.

WickedDynamite
Here is one the popular videos that people are talking about in regards to the flu shot.

mh5F5wP8RdU

jaden101
She's got a future as a hip-hop dancer though.

Darth Jello
I actually had it last week. It really, really sucked I can tell you that. Was bedridden from Thursday night to midday Monday.

WickedDynamite
I wish there was a vaccine for Hip-Hop music.

Darth Jello
I meant swine flu, not the vaccine for it.

REXXXX
But in essence... it's not worth worrying about.

This is my current stance on it. I'm not really that savvy about the medical field and don't speak from knowledge, but I feel like the people that are going to die of swine flu are the ones who could die of the flu anyway or be majorly affected by it.

I had it over the summer. They gave me Tamiflu just to make sure I didn't spread it to anyone else, but I just threw up a few times, felt shitty, then got better.

One Free Man
cause i'm a rebel.

And wait, where's whoopeedee?

Darth Jello
Originally posted by REXXXX
This is my current stance on it. I'm not really that savvy about the medical field and don't speak from knowledge, but I feel like the people that are going to die of swine flu are the ones who could die of the flu anyway or be majorly affected by it.

I had it over the summer. They gave me Tamiflu just to make sure I didn't spread it to anyone else, but I just threw up a few times, felt shitty, then got better.

Actually it's mainly young people who don't have the antibodies. Older people are ok because they do but it's mostly young healthy adults and children who are dying from this.

doan_m
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Here is one the popular videos that people are talking about in regards to the flu shot.

mh5F5wP8RdU

Key statistic in that vid:

1/1,000,000 chance.

MildPossession
Nope, will not be having the 'shot'. I try not to go near any injections/pills outside of must haves.

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
Nope, will not be having the 'shot'. I try not to go near any injections/pills outside of must haves.

Like smack and E's?

MildPossession
Exactly Jaden. I mean Es are not dangerous according to the news, woo hoo.

Darth Jello
I hate the idiots who are actively campaigning against vaccination and the wacko conspiracy crap being spewed right now. A lot of them are the same idiots who want to screw over health care and think an emergency room is good enough for most people. They're going to create a public health catastrophe.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I hate the idiots who are actively campaigning against vaccination and the wacko conspiracy crap being spewed right now. A lot of them are the same idiots who want to screw over health care and think an emergency room is good enough for most people. They're going to create a public health catastrophe.

Indeed.

The links to autism are not there, at the very best.

Darth Jello
Plus enticement to panic and creating a clear and present danger are not protected speech.

dadudemon
Originally posted by WickedDynamite

mh5F5wP8RdU

She's really hot, n'stuff. Even with the convulsions.

Bidoof Luvr399
Please,please, I'm begging you all, PLEASE don't tAke this vaccine! It is made from the blood of bidoofs, which as of yesterday, have been moved to the endangered level :'( please...

Darth Jello
I could of sworn it was made with the blood of furries and people into cosplay.

WickedDynamite
How can they run of these vaccines without even getting them available to the public? WTF? Scam!

Celestialgirl
I just got mine two days ago, it's fine the first 12 hours but after that my whoe body ached. It could also bew the fact that I was sick when I got it. But I know the pain in my arm was due to it. I read in the paper that some people WITH NO UNDERLYING HEALTH ISSUES did die from the disease. Those who got it before that was just the first wave, no point in getting the shot though if you already got it. Second wave is worst... I only got the shot because my dad was able to slip me through as a priority because i have epilepsy.

Darth Jello
Cool. Again, don't get the seasonal flu shot because I've heard that all of the bad, serious vaccine side effects happened in people who were given both shots. H1N1 takes priority because your body has at least some semblance of defense against the seasonal flu.
It would be interesting to find out if people who were breast fed are at lower risk of serious complications from swine flu...

MildPossession
I believe it's incredibly rare. Most who have died from it have had underlying issues/weak immune and so on.

But then, papers do get it wrong, I remember papers saying two people who died with no underlying issues, a few months later it was found out they both did indeed have problems.

Darth Jello
everyone who is more than 1-2 generations removed has immunological deficiencies when it comes to H1N1.

My immune system is generally pretty good and I don't really have severe flues but this one wrecked me for a week. I was shivering, bed ridden with my fever jumping between 100 and the high 102's. I was shaking so bad I couldn't walk across my room with falling. Thank god for urgent care.

Celestialgirl
The people who have died are probably the ones who went through the first wave of h1n1. The second wave has just arrived where i live and people are expecting more deaths.

I don't believe that just because it's rare that people die that i won't see a death, some of my loved ones fall under the priority list and just because i got the vaccine doesn't mean i won't get it... I'll get the milder version but I can still pass it on. I work at a drugstore, and to me knowing that if I had it and passed it on to someone who died from it would leave me with guilt for the rest of my life.

Yeah it's rare for healthy people to die from it but it's also rare that people have died from it. Yeah I'm fairly certain I would be able to survive it but the others around me? The young kids, the elderly, the ones with health issues it's not just me I'm worrying about but my friends and family.

MildPossession
I know people who have had it and they had hardly any trouble with it. One friend was well enough to do things but had to stay off because she is a teacher. Gone through worst colds compared.

Darth Jello
Well it's almost like the hanta virus in that one person gets a cold, another dies in two days or less.

Celestialgirl
Originally posted by MildPossession
I know people who have had it and they had hardly any trouble with it. One friend was well enough to do things but had to stay off because she is a teacher. Gone through worst colds compared.

that was probably first wave... second wave is going to be worst but if you already got it should be no problem if you already got it. If it was confirmed.

Robtard
Originally posted by Celestialgirl
that was probably first wave... second wave is going to be worst but if you already got it should be no problem if you already got it. If it was confirmed.

Why would the "second wave" be worse?

Celestialgirl
because it's more mutated than the first one, the first one was more like the regular flu/cold the second one there's been alot more calls for ambulances and people not looking so good... No deaths yet though, according to my paramedic friend.

WickedDynamite
One of my oldest sisters have diabetes and she always have to take the flu shot every year (at least that's what the doctor tells her) so I think she is also going to take the swine flu as well. Not at the same time of course.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Celestialgirl
because it's more mutated than the first one, the first one was more like the regular flu/cold the second one there's been alot more calls for ambulances and people not looking so good... No deaths yet though, according to my paramedic friend.

Is that locally? Cause people have been dying here.

Celestialgirl
well it just means my paramedic friend hasn't seen any deaths yet.

island-is-stone
Don't you mean A(H1N1)? Thats the new flu and season flu is H1N1.

dadudemon
Originally posted by island-is-stone
Don't you mean A(H1N1)? Thats the new flu and season flu is H1N1.

Just in case no one believes this dude:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Ladyluck
Absolutely not.

PENIS-ENVY
hb

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.