Why are the pirates the good guys and the British the bad guys?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
Just wondering, don't pirates plunder villages and kill innocent people?

Bwa Ha Ha
Mhmm. Dunno why, now that you mention it. It's the same thing with Disney and Mickey Mouse. Mice aren't all that lovable. Mice, rats, and other such vermin were the main carriers of the bubonic plague. They also ate people in their sleep, like those giant ants in secluded lands.

PirateofOslo
Because the pirates are too cool to be the bad guys. The british kill just as many people anyways.. But Norrington is a pirate in the 2nd one, so we love him too.

That ACDC Chick
cause pirates kick so much ass and are seriously misunderstood

plus when you have Johnny Depp playing a pirate, its mandatory that his side is the good/winning side

ibd4eva
^^agreed

siriuswriter
it's called the anti-hero. or, at least it would be if the pirates that we encounter through the movies were the pillage, plunder, steal, molest type.

but even among the pirates, there were bad ones. we have captain jack sparrow and his crew of odd misfits, and they're 'good' pirates. which basically means that they pretend to be all snarly and tough, but really only steal the things that no one will notice as missing. jack explains it in potc cobp - what a ship really is, is freedom.

in the time period of the films, we're either just coming off or about to go in to the victorian era. historically this means that if you were to be influential in life and were male, you were a gentleman. queen victoria and her consort prince albert were determined put an end to all the scandal that had piled up under the tudor name. it was like they said "no pork belly bills!" and it soon became the fashion that everyone was genteel, everyone was modest, everyone was... blah blah blah. there's not much place in that kind of society for a man who really doesn't feel like wearing a powdered wig and following a religion of politesse. so men like jack sparrow, having considered the options, probably chose piracy because it gave him the best chance of a life where he wouldn't have to tighten himself up all the time. no manners, no rules, thinking for oneself.

and then of course we have norrington, who is the epitome of 'the victorian gentleman.' in movie one, an audience of this day and age think it's slightly ridiculous. 'i hope i'm not being too forward...' would never be said today in a time of cheesy pickup lines and wolf whistles. it was a time of chivalry, recalling the arthurian camelot. maidens were rescued by good knights and bad knights did the kidnapping of the maidens.

ANYWAY. beckett is british and still under the victorian era umbrella, but it's his attitude that makes him ungentlemanly. he's willing to buy his way through the ranks and arrest whomsoever he wants and then deal out overharsh punishments. he can be compared to barbossa and his crew. no thought of others beside those thoughts that lead him forward. no thought of consequences or other people's situations...

so you can see that who is 'bad' and who is 'good' is determined in the films just like in real life - not by affiliation, but by behavior. traditionally, pirates are 'bad.' traditionally, people who are trying to bring 'bad' people to justice are 'good.' but turn your prespective around. pretend you're dependent on a pirate for your well-being, and perhaps a child or two's lives as well. who are you going to think is worse - the pirate who may be breaking the law, or the civil servant who may not be breaking the law, but is going to execute your only source of income. because in that situation, i'm gonna guess that you'll be hating the civil servant.

anyway. long long historical post from me. smile

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by siriuswriter
it's called the anti-hero. or, at least it would be if the pirates that we encounter through the movies were the pillage, plunder, steal, molest type.

but even among the pirates, there were bad ones. we have captain jack sparrow and his crew of odd misfits, and they're 'good' pirates. which basically means that they pretend to be all snarly and tough, but really only steal the things that no one will notice as missing. jack explains it in potc cobp - what a ship really is, is freedom.

in the time period of the films, we're either just coming off or about to go in to the victorian era. historically this means that if you were to be influential in life and were male, you were a gentleman. queen victoria and her consort prince albert were determined put an end to all the scandal that had piled up under the tudor name. it was like they said "no pork belly bills!" and it soon became the fashion that everyone was genteel, everyone was modest, everyone was... blah blah blah. there's not much place in that kind of society for a man who really doesn't feel like wearing a powdered wig and following a religion of politesse. so men like jack sparrow, having considered the options, probably chose piracy because it gave him the best chance of a life where he wouldn't have to tighten himself up all the time. no manners, no rules, thinking for oneself.

and then of course we have norrington, who is the epitome of 'the victorian gentleman.' in movie one, an audience of this day and age think it's slightly ridiculous. 'i hope i'm not being too forward...' would never be said today in a time of cheesy pickup lines and wolf whistles. it was a time of chivalry, recalling the arthurian camelot. maidens were rescued by good knights and bad knights did the kidnapping of the maidens.

ANYWAY. beckett is british and still under the victorian era umbrella, but it's his attitude that makes him ungentlemanly. he's willing to buy his way through the ranks and arrest whomsoever he wants and then deal out overharsh punishments. he can be compared to barbossa and his crew. no thought of others beside those thoughts that lead him forward. no thought of consequences or other people's situations...

so you can see that who is 'bad' and who is 'good' is determined in the films just like in real life - not by affiliation, but by behavior. traditionally, pirates are 'bad.' traditionally, people who are trying to bring 'bad' people to justice are 'good.' but turn your prespective around. pretend you're dependent on a pirate for your well-being, and perhaps a child or two's lives as well. who are you going to think is worse - the pirate who may be breaking the law, or the civil servant who may not be breaking the law, but is going to execute your only source of income. because in that situation, i'm gonna guess that you'll be hating the civil servant.

and to top it off, here's a link from tvtropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiHero

there. xD

Tramps Lady
Sirius... all I read was the first sentence - so if I repeat anything you say, feel free to yell at me :P

With the mickey mouse thing and Disney and whatnot, we could ask many things, such as; "why do the mice talk in the first place?"

In Pirates, it is how we perceive the movies. In the movies, we see the Pirates more than the British. Due to this, we get more attached to the Pirates more than anything. This could make us feel like the British are being the bad guys, because they are trying to abolish all Pirates from the seas.

We only ever see one side of the British and one side of the Pirates. The British we see, as only trying to abide by the laws made and constantly see to those rules. The Pirates however, we see as helping other pirates, and being persuasive.

So due to this, we perceive the movie as making out the British to be the bad guys and the Pirates to be the good guys.

But, mind you, Disney could also have made it this way, to get a different perspective of what we know as bad Pirates, and what we know as the British in those times.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by siriuswriter

Nice answer

SWblayde938
bad guys and good guys is all just an interpertation, an opinion... the pirates might think the british are evil and vice versa, the british think the pirates are evil... so there really isn't good guys and bad guys, unless the bad guys label themselves as bad and the good guys label themselves good other than that its all up to u to think who is right and wrong

ToddianGirl
Just adding to say that I LOVE Norrington too!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.