Alien Races

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kris Blaze
I noticed that we did not have a thread for discussion of various alien races. So let's get one started. List and or discuss some of your favourite/most hated alien species and possibly why you like/dislike them. We can also discuss other things, like the supposed reappearance of the Brood, or maybe the new world of Krypton.

Take it away!

Galan007
the race called 'dominators' have always intrigued me. physically, they're hardly worth mentioning. however, their extreme intelligence MORE than makes up for their lack of physical prowess. this race has devised arguably the most formidable tech in the DCU - ie. transphasic cannons that can transform solids into liquids with horrific results, bio-bullets which release a compound that can kill anything in reach then dissipate them like mist, indestructible force fields that can encase an entire planet, etc.

as a species, the dominators are considered roughly equal to the qwardians. that alone speaks volumes.

Endless Mike
I wonder if mythical beings like Asgardians and Olympians count as alien races

willRules
Well they are Alien in the classic sense that they are from an a foreign, unknown culture to whomever is describing them, but in terms of ranking them with Shi'ar, Brood, Kree, Skrull etc, etc, then really they should be classed as God's as they are supposed to represent familiar aspects of our very own ancient cultures.

-Pr-
Aliens. the ones from the Sigourney Weaver movies. Nightmare fuel is ever there was any.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by willRules
Well they are Alien in the classic sense that they are from an a foreign, unknown culture to whomever is describing them, but in terms of ranking them with Shi'ar, Brood, Kree, Skrull etc, etc, then really they should be classed as God's as they are supposed to represent familiar aspects of our very own ancient cultures.

Yes but isn't it true in the comics universe that the only reason people believed in these gods was because they actually encountered them? How would that make them different from other aliens that visited earth and were worshipped as gods?

Kazenji
Predators
Xenomorph

and also the Skrulls

willRules
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Yes but isn't it true in the comics universe that the only reason people believed in these gods was because they actually encountered them? How would that make them different from other aliens that visited earth and were worshipped as gods?

Yeah that's fair enough if you want to class it that way, you'll get no argument from me there smile

All I was going was by the definitions. Alien essentially means foreign or outsider. The idea behind an alien is that they are potentially unrelatable and certainly unknown.
Whereas the Gods, especially the Greco-Romanic Pantheon, exists due to myth being used as a device in order to explain and understand, in an attempt to be relatable. Unlike Aliens, the Gods were attempts at understanding whereas an alien by definition cannot be understood. If they are-they are no longer "alien" to us.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.