Most well characterized Videogame characters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
What characters you believe are most characterized and relatable/like and why?

FistOfThe North
Ryu deserves the symbol more than anyone I can think of now. he's stood the test of time, he's aged gracefully, has gotten even stronger, smater and better, he's simple, humble, fearless, purely dedicated, and'll kick your asre rightfully so no matter who you are.

He's the best video game hand to hand fighter there is, inside and out of all of the thousands there are and ever been in video games. No one defeats him. and no one can match his heart (courage) I alwas thought so.

He is, indeed, the ultimate video game character.

Ryu.

Quincy
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/11419/629962-lry_large.jpg

First_Tsurugi06
inb4mario.

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Ryu deserves the symbol more than anyone I can think of now. he's stood the test of time, he's aged gracefully, has gotten even stronger, smater and better, he's simple, humble, fearless, purely dedicated, and'll kick your asre rightfully so no matter who you are.

He's the best video game hand to hand fighter there is, inside and out of all of the thousands there are and ever been in video games. No one defeats him. and no one can match his heart (courage) I alwas thought so.

Ryu.

Pretty much what I'd say about him. Ultimate vg character may be a stretch for anyone, but Ryu is easily the fighting game genre's Gold Standard.

jaden101
Maccer from San Andreas. Easily the greatest character from any game.

Kero_Co
Luigi o_0

NemeBro

Ryu. Which makes him all the more unrelatable considering he possesses a combination of "flawless" traits that make him a gold standard few could ever be.

Um, in terms of pure characterization I cannot answer now.

First_Tsurugi06
There are worse characters who suffer much worse from it being, as opposed to the "Gold Standard" simply the "Paint-by-numbers". Not necessarily VG characters, but that's not what matters.

NemeBro
I am not saying Ryu is a bad character. I like Ryu.

But who here can claim to truly relate to him? no expression

First_Tsurugi06
I don't think anyone's arguing with that. It's just that in my opinion, it doesn't take being relatable, or even necessarily being particularly likeable, to be a decent/good/great character. Hell, a good number of characters intentionally made to be likable tend to just be either annoying after a certain point, a weak stereotype (i.e. half of the main protagonists in Final Fantasy), or they just plain suck. IMHO, Ryu's one of the best protagonists to come out of Capcom due to a lack of being too relatable.

Phanteros
how are most characters relatable? there are a very few superhuman characters that are relatable. Final fantasy heroes are a bit too over the top or overdone traits.

BoratBorat
Commander Shepard for me.

NemeBro
Dude, relatability was stated in the OP lol.

Nemesis X
Kratos

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Kratos

Really ?

so you've got lots of anger and like to let it out on people.

Zack Fair
Andrew Ryan.

MadMel
solid snake
badassness aside, the conversations he has with other characters in mgs 1, and the way he reacted to real world subjects like war, nuclear waste storage, weapons of mass destruction, Russia's state as a nation blah blah blah - really made him seem like a believable, likable and relatable character, despite his ridiculously inhuman feats..hell, most of what i know about the cold war and nuclear weapons comes from that game, and i have snake to thank erm

Juk3n
Nate Drake

Commander Shep

Sin_Volvagia
Originally posted by MadMel
solid snake
badassness aside, the conversations he has with other characters in mgs 1, and the way he reacted to real world subjects like war, nuclear waste storage, weapons of mass destruction, Russia's state as a nation blah blah blah - really made him seem like a believable, likable and relatable character, despite his ridiculously inhuman feats..hell, most of what i know about the cold war and nuclear weapons comes from that game, and i have snake to thank erm

This.

I'd also like to add Link. It's his courage that allowed to him to win his battles even when the odds are against him (Ganon with the Triforce). Unlike Ryu, he gets more popular as time goes by.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by NemeBro
Which makes him all the more unrelatable considering he possesses a combination of "flawless" traits that make him a gold standard few could ever be.

Um, in terms of pure characterization I cannot answer now.

Well, how is Ryu unrelatable really.

Do you not know people that posses some or all of those qualities? I do.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
This.

I'd also like to add Link. It's his courage that allowed to him to win his battles even when the odds are against him (Ganon with the Triforce). Unlike Ryu, he gets more popular as time goes by.

?..

Ryu's much more popular now than he was before. He's become one of the top most recognized video game characters on the planet.

He's in the top ten like with pac-man, mario.

Quincy
?..

Ryu's much more popular now than he was before. He's become one of the top most recognized video game characters on the planet.

He's in the top ten like with pac-man, mario.

I dont think so. I mean, I like Ryu, but he's not one of the most recognized characters on the planet.

Most recognized would be if even non-video game fans knew who he was.

Like Mario and Sonic

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
This.

So Link gets more popular as time goes by and Ryu does not?

How come? Especially after the great success of Street Fighter 4 which introduced SF to a lot of kids out there.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
inb4mario.
Indeed he is the most well characterized VG character, arguably. Whether you're a fan of him or not, he pretty much made video gaming what it is today.
/thread

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Indeed he is the most well characterized VG character, arguably. Whether you're a fan of him or not, he pretty much made video gaming what it is today.
/thread

Not entirely by himself.

There are old and new exciting and innovative genres that have been created after Mario that have nothing to do with him. Or that he's either directly or indirectly influenced.

Had he of never existed genres would still flourish into what it is today.

And how does mario really have character. He's a silly middle-aged plumber from brooklyn.

I do like Mario i just never really took anything away from him. He was always just the funny bouncy little guy. No more, no less.

Overdose
This is really too tuff to decide, yo. There is alot of'em.

Digi
Originally posted by BoratBorat
Commander Shepard for me.

Not a bad answer.

And Link? I need my characters to speak to actually relate to them. As far as I know, Link's an asylum escapee with sword and boomarang skills.

-Pr-
I don't know if Commander Shepard is really a fair answer. He's a character who's development is directly influenced by your own views and attitudes. Yes, he's relatable, but only because we as players make him that way, imo.

The dude from Silent Hill 2, don't remember his name. Just an average Joe dropped in to hell. He was pretty ordinary. Leon in RE2 was the same. In 4 he was too uber though.

Some of the Final Fantasy characters have to be included. Not the shit ones or anything. People like Barrett and such.

NemeBro
Well, how is Ryu unrelatable really.

Do you not know people that posses some or all of those qualities? I do. You know people who have stood the test of time (Whatever the **** that means), appears to be 20 even though he is like forty, grown stronger despite his age, is able to live a simple life (Homeless), is fearless, dedicated and determined to strive to be the very greatest yet at the same time mantain his pacifistic moral code, and possesses incredible HEART?

Yeah I doubt that.

Also, forgot to mention this, there are videogame H2H fighters stronger than Ryu. Hell, he is not even the strongest in his own game. no expression

Phanteros
I'm surprised no one mentioned Old prince and new prince of persia.

BoratBorat
Originally posted by -Pr-
I don't know if Commander Shepard is really a fair answer. He's a character who's development is directly influenced by your own views and attitudes. Yes, he's relatable, but only because we as players make him that way, imo.

Thats why i find her(female in my game) very relatable, you influence the character and decide the characters path and fate.

NemeBro
That's not a real example though considering you are making her relatable, it's not like she was designed to be that way. no expression

Ms.Marvel
alyx vance for me.

StyleTime
Originally posted by -Pr-
The dude from Silent Hill 2, don't remember his name. Just an average Joe dropped in to hell
James Sunderland. It's blasphemous that you don't remember that. stick out tongue

Also, good choice.

NemeBro
I relate most to Brick from Borderlands.

A simple man, who forsakes the cruelty of deadly weaponry, preferring to punch people in half with his bare hands, and just wanting to see his foe's blood splatter on his rippling pectorals.

It's like my dream.

BoratBorat
That's not a real example though considering you are making her relatable, it's not like she was designed to be that way. no expression I don't care if you think thats not a real example because its MY opinion.

Not designed to be that way? YOU(if you play the game) designed her to be that way.

MooCowofJustice
I say Link for relatable. He was designed to make it easier for the player to imagine themselves on the journey. The same logic could be applied for likability, unless you are an emo.

Outside of him having Super Powers, Cole McGrath deserves a mention. He just seems to have more real reasoning in his game. And the responses are things I could imagine an actual person saying. I can't say his choices are real since, again, the super powers. erm

AsbestosFlaygon
Most GTA characters, like Niko Bellic and CJ Johnson..
I don't find it hard to believe that there were/are people just like them in the real world, living a shitty life coz of the mafia/government agencies/street gangs.

Phanteros
Having super powers doesn't mean you can't relate to the character.

FistOfThe North
You know people who have stood the test of time (Whatever the **** that means), appears to be 20 even though he is like forty, grown stronger despite his age, is able to live a simple life (Homeless), is fearless, dedicated and determined to strive to be the very greatest yet at the same time mantain his pacifistic moral code, and possesses incredible HEART?

Yeah I doubt that.

Also, forgot to mention this, there are videogame H2H fighters stronger than Ryu. Hell, he is not even the strongest in his own game. no expression
When i say that he's stood the test of time i mean that he's lasted for this long and endured gracefully. Other fighting games, both good and bad, have come and gone as well as their fighters, both good and bad, but Ryu still reamains the gold standard.

And he does not look 20 in sf4. You can tell that he's definetely aged. Ok lets say he should be or is about 40yrs old now, as you're saying, Street Fighter came out in '87, we'll put ryu at 20 there. He should be 42 now right? He'd still be able to kick arse. George Foreman won the World Heavyweight Boxing Championship title at age 45. Ryu's grown stronger.

And one can be ambitious for the right reason. You can be assertive and be humble. What kinda people do you hang around with? And he is a pacifist. He'd never hurt anyone maliciously or he'd never start trouble. He only fights to improve himself and others. And that takes heart.

And there are stronger h2h fighters than ryu but as the saying goes, "it's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts." and i truley believe that ryu's inner dog is the largest one of 'em all.

He is the ultimate (vg) fighter. And my pick as the most well characterized and relatable character in video games.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.