Best Writers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
With so many people keen on pointing out what's going wrong with comics, who do you think are the best writers in the comic industry at the moment?

-AC

The Pict
Not sure what he's doing at the moment but I've always enjoyed Brian K. Vaughan's work.

willRules
Yeah, BKV is one of the best.

Nothing against some of the classic writers but I do think the industry's talent is only improving and the modern creators are proof of this.

Bendis has changed the face of Marvel and ign had a tribute to his decade @ Marvel on their site. He's changed Spider-man for the company, even if he hasn't been on the main title much. He's changed the Avenger's most importantly and made them the centre of the MU again. Big stuff.

Brubaker is a machine. 9/10 comics he touches turn to gold. He basically is the best writer Captain America has ever had. He makes great results out of what could be disastrous stuff.

Morrison is easily one of the best comic book writers. He's just too zany and weird not to be writing comics. Very meta. He's stuff can be truly terrible but on a good day, there's nobody better. He has such a unique and brilliant style and isn't afraid to be daring which is a weakness of so many writers these days.

Geoff Johns is great. He is a lot like Brubaker in that whatever he writes, he reinvigorates. And, again like Brubaker writing Cap, nobody writes Green Lantern better than Johns. He made me like the character. He develops such a rich world for his characters to play in and so often lives up to the hype on his GL work. Unlike Brubaker however is his tone. If Brubaker is telling modern, refreshing espionage stories, John's is more like the classical golden years of a character. His run on GL will be seen as a classic.

My favourite writer for many years now has been Mark Millar. This guy has balls. He writes such great stuff. He does emotion well, his action scenes are like a blockbuster movie and his dialogue is on par with Bendis' quirky one liners. Millar has perfected the modern comic. His wide-screen style makes every comic read like a movie but unlike a movie the comic medium allows for the imagination to run free. My favourite stuff is his work at Marvel so far. He plays with characters so well and treats the MU like a glorious sandbox whereby anything can interact. He can explore the high concepts and make them fun and thought provoking. He can have Ultimate Cap kick Bruce Banner in the face and make it look KickAss (If you'll pardon the pun). He understands the medium so well and has really redefined many, many well established characters. If you want comics to be enjoyable, a comic by Millar is always a good choice.

Alpha Centauri
Someone needed to say that, Will (And I did, not long ago).

If you re-read the OLD stories written by Stan Lee, they're cringeworthy. He revolutionised characters and gave them depth that hadn't existed, but compared to writers now...so cheesy.

I got a copy of Daredevil #3 recently and it was honestly hard to read due to the style of writing.

Got to agree on Brubaker, though. He single handedly overturned a decade or more of me hating Captain America. Best around right now I'd say, for on-goings.

I do like Bendis, I can't lie. I think that considering he's carrying Dark Reign on his own, he's doing amazingly well.

I also like Kirkman. Marvel Zombies was amazing, and very underrated.

-AC

Kris Blaze
Morrison's my favourite.

The Pict
Wanna mention J. Michael Straczynski too. I loved the Supreme Power comics. You could really feel for Hyperion, being manipulated by the government his entire life. Everything he knew was a lie.

It was also interesting as it made you think of other characters and put a modern spin on things. He was basically Superman who was unafraid to kill and fought in the wars of ordinary men, like a soldier in a way.

King Kandy
Morrison has always wrote pretty great stuff.

Martian_mind
Where's the Bill Willingham love?

Kirkman's a good choice (Invincible is fantastic)

Johns and Morrison go without say

roughrider
In alphabetical order, my top ten currently:

Brian Azzarello
Brian Michael Bendis
Ed Brubaker
Peter David
Warren Ellis
Paul Jenkins
Mark Millar
Grant Morrison
Greg Rucka
Brian K. Vaughn

I'll put in a seperate category those writers from other mediums who just dabble - Joss Whedon, J. Michael Straczynski, Neil Gaiman(unfortunately)

Neo_Version 7
Currently, I would have to say Brian K. Vaughan and Mark Millar.

Earlier works by Bendis, Loeb, and Moore were also quite phenomenal.

-Pr-
Good or not, I can't like Bendis for his frankly disgraceful treatment of Hank Pym since taking over Avengers. He was way out of line imo. that and Disassembled.

Right Now? Johns, Brubaker, Rucka, JMS, Morrison. Haven't seen anything by David Mack bar the odd Kabuki issue. guy needs to step it up imo.

Paul Dini's great work on Batman needs recognition, imo.

willRules
Dini was born for Batman.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Someone needed to say that, Will (And I did, not long ago).

If you re-read the OLD stories written by Stan Lee, they're cringeworthy. He revolutionised characters and gave them depth that hadn't existed, but compared to writers now...so cheesy.

I got a copy of Daredevil #3 recently and it was honestly hard to read due to the style of writing.

Got to agree on Brubaker, though. He single handedly overturned a decade or more of me hating Captain America. Best around right now I'd say, for on-goings.

I do like Bendis, I can't lie. I think that considering he's carrying Dark Reign on his own, he's doing amazingly well.

I also like Kirkman. Marvel Zombies was amazing, and very underrated.

-AC

yes

A friend who I recently got into comics has fallen in love with Kirkman's Invincible. Great writer yes

Kris Blaze
Not a single mention of Mark Waid.

Buncha noobs.

Neo_Version 7
^ I liked his work on Fantastic Four but I haven't read much else.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kris Blaze

Buncha noobs.

what has he done lately?

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by -Pr-
what has he done lately?

Your mom, among other things.

-Pr-
Your mom, among other things.

he's welcome to her. anything else?

Slaanesh
Geoff Johns is the best..

Kris Blaze
he's welcome to her. anything else?

Nothing noteworthy in the last years.

King Kandy
Also most of his comics are awful but I like actually like some of Starlin's earlier stuff.

kgkg
My favorite writers are/were : Neil Gaiman , Frank Miller , Alan Moore

Currently I like Grant Morrison and Mark Millar

roughrider

Buncha noobs.

I would have included Waid if I did a Top 15. His style reminds me a lot of Peter David; good mix of the serious and the quite humourous, and knowing how to mix it.

Alan Moore and Jeph Loeb would be up there if we were doing past writers, but Moore hasn't written anything relevent for years now, while current Loeb is just...ugh.

Kazenji
Jason Aaron is another good writer.

Kris Blaze
David Hine has some good stuff, Silent War in particular.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by roughrider
I would have included Waid if I did a Top 15. His style reminds me a lot of Peter David; good mix of the serious and the quite humourous, and knowing how to mix it.

Alan Moore and Jeph Loeb would be up there if we were doing past writers, but Moore hasn't written anything relevent for years now, while current Loeb is just...ugh.

What do you mean "relevant"?

Century: 1910 is flawless.

-AC

-Pr-
Nothing noteworthy in the last years.

that's why i forgot him then. and the poor guy is STILL waiting for a crack at superman...

Alpha Centauri
I wanna nominate Mike Benson for his Suicide Kings run on Deadpool, and the mini-story in Deadpool #900.

Also, I quite like Fred van Lente (Who I met at a signing on Saturday) and really dig Greg Pak. I liked his Hulk stuff, but it wasn't until Magneto: Testament that the guy really had be sold.

-AC

roughrider
What do you mean "relevant"?

Century: 1910 is flawless.

-AC

Apart from The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he hasn't impacted on the genre since finishing V For Vendetta 20 years ago.

WickedDynamite
Everyone in this thread gets a beoytch slap for not mentioning.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Gail Simone.

(xcept for will because he mentions Paul Dini)

Wait! He put Morrison???? OH HELL NAWH!

*slaps*

Philosophía
Morrison is my current favorite writer, by far.

I also love the hell out of Geoff Johns stories, eventough he pisses me off with the powerlevels being all over the place.

Brubaker, JMS, Bendis, Tomasi, Dini and Rucka (most of the time) are also people I enjoy reading.

Kris Blaze
I see no mention of Carey.

Nihilist
Most have already been mentioned apart from Slott's/Cage's work on Avengers:The Initiative which has been solid.

Alpha Centauri
Apart from The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he hasn't impacted on the genre since finishing V For Vendetta 20 years ago.

So? He has Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League and From Hell to his name.

He doesn't need to write a comic again as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, his influence isn't something we should necessarily be thankful for. What HE did was amazing and revolutionary, but it spawned decades of people trying to copy him.

When you consider that Civil War and Blackest Night both take elements from things he's wrote, it shows how unoriginal (Though these stories can still be great) comics currently are.

Anything you consider relevant probably bares a lot of Alan Moore hallmarks.

-AC

willRules

Besides, his influence isn't something we should necessarily be thankful for. What HE did was amazing and revolutionary, but it spawned decades of people trying to copy him.

When you consider that Civil War and Blackest Night both take elements from things he's wrote, it shows how unoriginal (Though these stories can still be great) comics currently are.

-AC

That's a fair point but I think in the same way Stan Lee may have written hokey but brought in the necessary building blocks for later writers, like we discussed earlier, the same can be applied to Alan Moore for the Modern Comic and the writers today.

Moore may have started them off, but modern writers have built upon this style. Everyone is a copycat of someone but their work should be assessed for what it is, or at least as best as we can.

Galan007
morrison, moore, gaiman, moorcock, rucka.

roughrider

-AC

Yes, I know, but we're sticking to current writers now, and the work this past decade. Moore is up there for all time work.

WickedDynamite
Yeah, that's what I understood...unless someone is just flip-flopping. Current writers...

Bouboumaster
Mark Miller.
Greg Pak is fun

roughrider
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Mark Miller.

I got more excitement reading the climatic issues of Ultimates 1 & 2, than almost anything else this decade.

Bouboumaster
I got more excitement reading the climatic issues of Ultimates 1 & 2, than almost anything else this decade.

Me too.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were the shit!

Kazenji
I liked his worked on Old Man Logan.

Neo_Version 7
As amazing as Ultimates 1-2 were, I will always have a soft spot for Civil War .

Aztec123
My three current favorite writer are:

Grant Morrison: World of New Krpton
Gail Simone: Wonder Woman, Secret Six (Villains United & Birds of Prey)
Geoff Johns: Green Lantern (but as someone mentione, I hate how he portrays power levels.

TheGame17
Hmm...... I'd have to say........ Jeph Loeb............ shifty

Kazenji
Yeah his writing in comics is the shit........................whistle

Disappear
peter david's my all-time favorite. never read anything of his that i didn't get completely engrossed in.

i'm "discovering" jonathan hickman and jason aaron at the time, both of whom give the same david-esque sense of satisfaction with everything they put out.

willRules

Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Me too.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were the shit!

yes thumb up

His 26 issue run on Ultimates is my favourite comic series, ever. It's the only comic series I've ever considered buying the omnibus edition of, despite already owning a copy of the issues....can't afford it at the mo, though...

I'm waiting for the trade for his current run, and just ignoring the Loeb stuff.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Disappear
peter david's my all-time favorite. never read anything of his that i didn't get completely engrossed in.

i'm "discovering" jonathan hickman and jason aaron at the time, both of whom give the same david-esque sense of satisfaction with everything they put out.

I think Hickman's got a lot of potential, I think he Fraction and Tomassi could be the next decades; Bendis, Brubaker and Johns.

I have a lot of love for Moore and Mark Waid, there aren't many out there more influential upon the medium,

But for the ketamin induced, profound, mind-experimenting, a-priori,sci fi creative, weirdness, that I love no writers comes close to the English duo of Ellis and Morison.

Authority, Planetary, Allstar Superman, Transmetropolitan, JLA, New X-men, Seven Soldiers,

the types of literature that make me proud to be a comic book fan.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Aztec123
My three current favorite writer are:

Grant Morrison: World of New Krpton

Rucka and Robinson write New Krypton ... :/

Cartesian Doubt

-AC

Moore's not as revolutionary as everyone regards him to be ...

Most of his deconstruction work, prevalent in Miracle Man, Supreme, What Ever happened to the Man of Tomorrow , Tom Strong etc is lifted straight out of Robert Mayers, Super folks.

And V for Vendetta is just a footnote to 1984.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt

Most of his deconstruction work, prevalent in Miracle Man, Supreme, What Ever happened to the Man of Tomorrow , Tom Strong etc is lifted straight out of Robert Mayers, Super folks.

Who did what he did, before him?

Not "He was influenced by...", who actually did what he did, on the scale he did, for comics? Who had as many stories that garnered such critical praise when the medium wasn't regarded with serious acclaim?

-AC

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt

Kirby>Moore.

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheGame17
Hmm...... I'd have to say........ Jeph Loeb............ shifty

Loeb is one the best Superman writers EVER.

Fan of Dan Slott, personally.

roughrider
Loeb is one the best Superman writers EVER.

Fan of Dan Slott, personally.

If only we could regard Loeb for his work on Batman, Superman, and the Marvel 'Colour' series - his current work bears little resemblence to the past ones.

-Pr-
If only we could regard Loeb for his work on Batman, Superman, and the Marvel 'Colour' series - his current work bears little resemblence to the past ones.

at least he has a reason for not being what he once was.

Neo_Version 7
^ Yeah. I mean that's just a sad state of affairs. As an aside, he did write one of Smallville's best episodes: Red.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Kirby>Moore.

Watchmen > Anything Kirby has done.

-AC

Kris Blaze
Watchmen > Anything Kirby has done.

No.

Alpha Centauri
No.

Yes, actually.

Good this, even though you're basically just subjectively disagreeing and so am I.

-AC

willRules
Who did what he did, before him?

Not "He was influenced by...", who actually did what he did, on the scale he did, for comics? Who had as many stories that garnered such critical praise when the medium wasn't regarded with serious acclaim?

-AC

Didn't Stan Lee and Jack Kirby do that for the medium by bucking the stereotypical superhero trend with the creation of Spider-man?

Going further back, didn't characters like Superman add a new genre called the "superhero" to the comics that came before it?

Each time someone does something new or popular or outlandish or something important for the medium, but that's not really the point is it?

You even said in one of your first posts on this thread that the older stories were revolutionary but cheesy. Why is Moore any different to those that came before, when compared to the newer talent? I'm sure we agree they paved the way for the modern writers to build upon. smile

xJLxKing
Moore, John, and ...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by willRules
Didn't Stan Lee and Jack Kirby do that for the medium by bucking the stereotypical superhero trend with the creation of Spider-man?

Going further back, didn't characters like Superman add a new genre called the "superhero" to the comics that came before it?

Each time someone does something new or popular or outlandish or something important for the medium, but that's not really the point is it?

You even said in one of your first posts on this thread that the older stories were revolutionary but cheesy. Why is Moore any different to those that came before, when compared to the newer talent? I'm sure we agree they paved the way for the modern writers to build upon. smile

Because Moore didn't write characters that felt they had to do a cheesey one-liner after every punch they threw.

If you're really gonna say that Moore is one of those older writers, considering he still writes today and has never wrote in the style that you and I agreed is archaic, then I'm not sure I know how to respond because that's nonsense.

When I said older, I meant from the '60s and prior.

Besides, comics weren't taken seriously until Alan Moore, and he is still relevant to this thread because he's still writing today. Excellently, at that.

-AC

willRules
Because Moore didn't write characters that felt they had to do a cheesey one-liner after every punch they threw.

If you're really gonna say that Moore is one of those older writers, considering he still writes today and has never wrote in the style that you and I agreed is archaic, then I'm not sure I know how to respond because that's nonsense.

When I said older, I meant from the '60s and prior.

Besides, comics weren't taken seriously until Alan Moore, and he is still relevant to this thread because he's still writing today. Excellently, at that.

-AC

Older compared to what? You seem to have a very specific definition of what constitutes and older writer. I wasn't only just comparing writers from the 60's. You might have been, but I wasn't. Is Moore and older writer than Stan Lee? No. Older than Brubaker? Yes.

I think Alan Moore is a great comic book writer. Whilst his style is developing due to the fact he still is writing today, that could be said of most writers who wrote for a period of time. My point was that modern writers often develop off of the works of the past. Moore wasn't something entirely new. He offered different direction but even he wouldn't have done so well without Stan's cheesy one liners.

To say that Moor didn't feed off earlier work and in turn the more modern stuff fed off Moore, now that's nonsense.

Alpha Centauri
Older compared to what? You seem to have a very specific definition of what constitutes and older writer. I wasn't only just comparing writers from the 60's. You might have been, but I wasn't. Is Moore and older writer than Stan Lee? No. Older than Brubaker? Yes.

I think Alan Moore is a great comic book writer. Whilst his style is developing due to the fact he still is writing today, that could be said of most writers who wrote for a period of time. My point was that modern writers often develop off of the works of the past. Moore wasn't something entirely new. He offered different direction but even he wouldn't have done so well without Stan's cheesy one liners.

To say that Moor didn't feed off earlier work and in turn the more modern stuff fed off Moore, now that's nonsense.

So then it's darn sure a good thing that I'm not saying he never found influence, isn't it? In fact, I'd say it's rosey that I happened to say the exact opposite.

It's not about influence. You can be influenced and do something original with unoriginal content. He says himself that he wasn't necessarily creating a new thing entirely, but doing new things with older templates. He did things no writer had done before, overall.

Your argument is like those Asian movie purists who say The Matrix sucks because some obscure director did slow motion gunfighting in the '70s. It doesn't take away how revolutionary that movie was by using existing ideas, and what new things it did with it.

Moore is the same. He may have been influenced by older writers, but he most certainly does not bear any antiquated hallmarks that make his work hard to read. Far from it; Watchmen is as relevant today as it was then. Stan Lee's issues of Daredevil are more stuck in time than a Republican Vietnam war veteran.

If you think otherwise, that's nonsense.

-AC

willRules
So then it's darn sure a good thing that I'm not saying he never found influence, isn't it? In fact, I'd say it's rosey that I happened to say the exact opposite.

It's not about influence. You can be influenced and do something original with unoriginal content. He says himself that he wasn't necessarily creating a new thing entirely, but doing new things with older templates. He did things no writer had done before, overall.

Your argument is like those Asian movie purists who say The Matrix sucks because some obscure director did slow motion gunfighting in the '70s. It doesn't take away how revolutionary that movie was by using existing ideas, and what new things it did with it.

Moore is the same. He may have been influenced by older writers, but he most certainly does not bear any antiquated hallmarks that make his work hard to read. Far from it; Watchmen is as relevant today as it was then. Stan Lee's issues of Daredevil are more stuck in time than a Republican Vietnam war veteran.

If you think otherwise, that's nonsense.

-AC

Well it's a "darn sure good thing" that I never said being influenced was a bad thing! You've assumed that of me, which is untrue. When reading literature I often adopt an approach which is very similar to a new historicist approach. Therefore it's practically impossible to say that anything isn't influenced by something else! NEWSFLASH This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, LOL Matrix purists? And I thought us comic book nerds were sad! laughing

Of course you can be influenced and produce an entirely original piece from it! That's my point. In the same way that Moore built upon previous work to create an incredible text like Watchmen, the modern writers today have an even richer history to build upon, which now includes much of Moore's work.

I'm merely stressing the fact that Moore's work is by no means the be all and end all of comicdom. I'm emphasising that (shock horror) even in Moore's work, as good as it may be, there is room for improvement, whether that be a further of ideas, a different form of creative development etc etc.

I'm by no means undermining Moore or his work, but I certainly wouldn't put him on a pedestal when considered in context of a vast assortment of comic book writers throughout the years. If Moore stands out, he only does so with Stan Lee, Jack, Kirby, Grant Morrison and many other talented and influential writers who have contributed in a large fashion to the medium.

Kris Blaze
Also, LOL Matrix purists? And I thought us comic book nerds were sad! laughing
You think reading comics is sad?

WickedDynamite
No.

Don't waste your time.

willRules
You think reading comics is sad?

I don't normally, until I start reading something with Lobo or Daken in....then I start to worry....

Also I just love the idea that like the Asian Movie purists described by AC, out there's an anti-thesis......a Matrix purist! laughing out loud

-Pr-
I don't normally, until I start reading something with Lobo or Daken in....then I start to worry....

Also I just love the idea that like the Asian Movie purists described by AC, out there's an anti-thesis......a Matrix purist! laughing out loud

yup, they exist.

if you don't like parts of the movie, apparently "you don't understand it!"

willRules
laughing

That's the same thing many said about Final Crisis!

This is the problem when people call BS or ignorance on others for having a different opinion. 2 seconds later they are just as guilty of the same crime!

Not referring to you, Pr, rather everyone and anyone, myself included.

Alpha Centauri
I never once mentioned Matrix purists.

Ever.

Not just here, but in my life. Nice to know reading is still cool with you kids.

-AC

-Pr-
laughing

That's the same thing many said about Final Crisis!

This is the problem when people call BS or ignorance on others for having a different opinion. 2 seconds later they are just as guilty of the same crime!

Not referring to you, Pr, rather everyone and anyone, myself included.

the problem with Final Crisis was the stupidity of some people in showing that they actually didn't understand it.

Most of the time they're ok, though.

Ever.

Not just here, but in my life. Nice to know reading is still cool with you kids.

-AC

he never said you did.

roughrider
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Moore, John, and ...

Do you mean Geoff Johns?

Only thing I would say about him, is that his stories are really violent (maybe more than necessary), and he has no sense of humour on the page.

willRules

Ever.

-AC

laughing Oh the irony!

he never said you did.

tjcoady
Do you mean Geoff Johns?

Only thing I would say about him, is that his stories are really violent (maybe more than necessary), and he has no sense of humour on the page.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Johns.

On the one hand, when he's good, in something like "Hawkman," or Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds, he does something unexpected and fun. It's always going to be super continuity heavy, but that leads to new creative things. He's at his best with those "just crazy enough to work" type storylines.

On the hand, he's incredibly, incredibly blatant. Characters can't just show things, they have to outright state them so that no one can possibly miss anything. The most recent Adventure comics is a great example; I mean, it's obvious why Tim Drake is wearing the Red Robin costume. But, apparently, comics readers are so oblivious that he has to, in tears, explain to Superboy precisely why he's wearing it. Lines like "The cowl is heavy" or "It's the failed Robin's costume." That kind of thing.

It's almost a little insulting. I dont' really care for the way that Johns just wants comics to be precisely the way he liked them as a kid; Hal and Barry have to be the most important Green Lantern and Flash, for instance.

Johns writes porn for nerds. And while that sometimes leads to things I think are awesome, a great deal of the time it just makes me feel a little unsatisfied, and vaguely dirty.

WickedDynamite
People in this thread have been confusing best writers with their favorite writers.

Case in point...Dini is my favorite Batman writer. But he complete struck out with Countdown.

Morrison is a good writer with Seven Soldiers and Animal Man.....but with FC and R.I.P he took a shit.

Conclusion...Best writers don't shit themselves.

-Pr-
People in this thread have been confusing best writers with their favorite writers.

Case in point...Dini is my favorite Batman writer. But he complete struck out with Countdown.

Morrison is a good writer with Seven Soldiers and Animal Man.....but with FC and R.I.P he took a shit.

every writer has bad days.

tjcoady

R.I.P. is one of the greatest comics of all time.

That's not an opinion, it's an objective fact, confirmed by science and divine revelation.

WickedDynamite
More like Witchcraft or pseudo sciences....

every writer has bad days.

Bingo! Give the man a cigar. wink

Original Smurph
BKV.

That is all.

Alpha Centauri
"Also, LOL Matrix purists?"

He asked ME about Matrix purists. Why? I never mentioned them or thought about them, or knew they even existed.

-AC

willRules
Listen, this is clearly a big deal to you, so why don't we say I misquoted you and that I'm sorry, is this OK with you now? smile

WickedDynamite
Besides the Matrix did suck....the sequels.

-Pr-
As far as Moore goes, i really wish he'd keep his gob shut when it comes to stuff like Blackest Night. The man has the gall to go after Johns for using his story as inspiration for what is shaping up to be a truly brilliant series, and yet Moore never hesitated to use other people's creations to suit his own end.

If he let his work speak for itself, i wouldn't mind. I've read some of his interviews, and his insights in to writing have helped me greatly. I just wish he'd have the good grace not to go after people.

Alpha Centauri
Moore only does that because he feels people aren't being influenced by him as much as they are imitating him.

Moore never imitated anybody.

-AC

-Pr-
Moore only does that because he feels people aren't being influenced by him as much as they are imitating him.

Moore never imitated anybody.

-AC

people aren't imitating shit. johns took a couple of parts of Moore's Blackest Night stories, and added TONS of his own stuff, including the various coloured Corps and the Black Lanterns. Moore is talking out of his ass if he thinks Johns is imitating him.

By his logic, the people who's creations he took and manipulated to suit his own needs have as much right to be pissed at him as he does at Johns.

Alpha Centauri
people aren't imitating shit. johns took a couple of parts of Moore's Blackest Night stories, and added TONS of his own stuff, including the various coloured Corps and the Black Lanterns. Moore is talking out of his ass if he thinks Johns is imitating him.

By his logic, the people who's creations he took and manipulated to suit his own needs have as much right to be pissed at him as he does at Johns.

I don't actually think Johns is, but I can see where Moore has grounds to say that about other writers.

The problem is, Moore has become so disillusioned with modern comics that he doesn't often know precisely what he's talking about. Not out of ignorance, because he often puts it across as what he knows of, not what is fact.

-AC

-Pr-
I don't actually think Johns is, but I can see where Moore has grounds to say that about other writers.

The problem is, Moore has become so disillusioned with modern comics that he doesn't often know precisely what he's talking about. Not out of ignorance, because he often puts it across as what he knows of, not what is fact.

-AC

so we agree he should just keep his nose out of it, then?

Badabing
I really don't know writers well. I know Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Pak and Loeb.

If anyone has the time, would you mind listing some well known writers and the more well known arc thy wrote arcs?

srankmissingnin
Right this moment? Top three writers: Joshua Dysart: Unknow Soldier, Jason Arron: Scalped and Greg Rucka: Stumptown.

Cartesian Doubt
Yes, actually.

Good this, even though you're basically just subjectively disagreeing and so am I.

-AC

It is kind of like comparing Wizard of Oz to the Godfather ..... I wouldn't want to say either way !

Cartesian Doubt
Too much Moore cock stroking ....

Its all about Warren Ellis !!!!!

Anyone read Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Global Frequency or Exstermis ?

Martian_mind
Transmetropolitan and Planetary ae indeed the shit.

I'd be tempted to say Bill Willingham, but his JSA is shit. He's more suited to a mystic setting like Fables and Angel.

willRules
Warren Ellis's two arcs on Thunderbolts post Civil War, basically laid the groundwork for Bendis with Dark Reign.

His Thunderbolts was just an awesome package. Gorgeous art, great writing and all round fun storyline.

Omega Vision
My list:
1. Grant Morrison
2. Neil Gaiman
3. Alan Moore
4. Jack Kirby
5. Gail Simone
6. Geoff Johns
7. Mark Waid
8. Stan Lee
9. Jim Starlin
10. Frank Miller (he'd be higher if he had stopped writing ten years ago)

Lord_Talron
frank miller (his daredevil stuff will always make him #1 for me)
neil gaiman
jack kirby
stan lee (i actually love the old marvel comics with him and kirby, ditko, etc)
moore
i love brubaker, kevin smith, and quesada's works with daredevil

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.