Finally, The Official Sonic Youth Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
Well, I figured it was time for a thread for a band that's been around since 1981, blends every single kind of art medium in one, just released an album that's sold more copies than any of their previous ones, and has consistently been on the cutting edge or waaaay out there with what is musically possible.

They're the only somewhat mainstream band still together that uses weird sclaviatura (alternate tunings) and prepared techniques (using objects in their guitars to alter sounds) and to me seems like the most original band out there.

Darth Jello
Favorite album? Favorite song?

Like them or not, you have to admit that "Come And Smash Me Said The Boy With The Magic Penis" is the best song title ever.

jaden101
Along with the Pixies, I don't think i've ever seen such an overrated, wanky band in my life.

The only fans that are worse than Sonic Youth fans are Morrisey fans.

Darth Jello
At least they've been consistently original and not afraid to experiment. And willing to help expose their peers to the mainstream like Pavement, Le Tigre and Nirvana.

jaden101
Since when does "original" and "not afraid to experiment" equate to actually being good?

It's amusing that you entirely missed who and what my post is referencing though.

Darth Jello
With Sonic Youth, it does equate to being good. Their sound reflects emotion and their lyrics are beat poetry. Plus they're like the only rock band with any measure of mainstream success that doesn't sound like a generic nu band or have a vocalist aping Eddie Vedder or who got hired for his looks. But if you're into that shit, you'll be happy to know that just like a herpes flare up, Creed is back together again.

jaden101
Originally posted by Darth Jello
With Sonic Youth, it does equate to being good. Their sound reflects emotion and their lyrics are beat poetry. Plus they're like the only rock band with any measure of mainstream success that doesn't sound like a generic nu band or have a vocalist aping Eddie Vedder or who got hired for his looks. But if you're into that shit, you'll be happy to know that just like a herpes flare up, Creed is back together again.

laughing

I beg to differ. Never liked Sonic Youth. No accounting for taste. Pavement had their moments but, again, it's not a style of music i've been huge on.

Who gives a shit about mainstream success though. It's most definitely not a measure of what is "good". More often than not it indicates the opposite because the "mainstream" fans tend to have absolutely no taste whatsoever.

Good point about bands like Creed though. Absolutely no need for this raping of the grunge vocal sound. Leave it to Vedder, Staley (RIP) and Cornell. People who actually have something to say in their music...On that note though, Cornell's last album was....cough...interesting.

Alpha Centauri
Consistency is often an excuse for "We can't do anything else.".

Sonic Youth can't do anything else besides be Sonic Youth, and not in the good way. It's not like The Melvins, who produce a similar album a lot of times and still manage to make the songs good.

Not to me anyway.

-AC

Darth Jello
I admit the Silver Session isn't everyone's cup of tea but have you guys heard Daydream Nation or Rather Ripped? Have you seen their insane live show? I love that you get a bunch of fake hippy jam band losers at every show expecting a Phish concert and they immediately get chased away by the feedback and dissonance.

MildPossession
I've never got what all the fuss is about when it comes to Sonic Youth, Pixies on the other hand I adore. stick out tongue

Darth Jello
Sonic Youth basically managed to take beat lyrics and instrumental techniques from avante garde and post modern classical music and fuse that with rock and punk to create something unique. They can take some getting used to because some of their songs are long, they don't conform to traditional structures and they can be quite dissonant but if you give them a chance, you may find some of their stuff to your liking. At the very least, it's different than whats on the radio and a vast majority of what isn't.

MildPossession
I've listened enough to the band to know they don't appeal to me.

Darth Jello
ok, but I encourage you to listen to Beck's cover of Green Light

Alpha Centauri
I admit the Silver Session isn't everyone's cup of tea but have you guys heard Daydream Nation or Rather Ripped? Have you seen their insane live show? I love that you get a bunch of fake hippy jam band losers at every show expecting a Phish concert and they immediately get chased away by the feedback and dissonance.

I own their albums.

I don't comment on things I don't know about.

-AC

Darth Jello
All I can say is, see them live if you get the chance. they're definitely not getting any younger.

Eon Blue
I dislike Sonic Youth and love Morrissey. Go figure.

Darth Jello
I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive

jaden101
I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive

I was thinking the same thing myself. I do hope someone isn't mistaking the Smiths for Sonic Youth.

Darth Jello
Yeah, if the post compared Sonic Youth to Free Kitten or the Coachmen or the Psychic Hearts, it would make more sense.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by jaden101
I was thinking the same thing myself. I do hope someone isn't mistaking the Smiths for Sonic Youth.

Not at all.

I'm merely remarking on the fact that you said Morrissey fans are worse than Sonic Youth ones. I dislike something whilst I like something should be even more disliked, hah.

Darth Jello
I don't really think Sonic Youth fans have any distinction. They're all age and demographic groups and don't really have one specific attitude. If you want ass hole fans, try hanging out with Juggalos or young rap and hip hop fans who tell you that Lil' Wayne is the greatest musician of all time and that melody has nothing to do with music.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.