Fifa 10

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChakraStrings
I'm normally NEVER pleased with any new Fifa that comes out, normally the game play is barely revamped and nothing really changes. Fifa 09 began a step in the right direction for EA sports though, they finally began to make an immersive crowd system and more dynamic play - but Fifa 10 really blew me away.

Granted it could of been better, I was very pleased with the turn-out. Gameplay feels SO much smoother, and the pace on the pitch so much more realistic. The feel you get while your team presses a great counter-attack is an adrenaline rush, and there isn't anything more tedious or nerve-wracking than trying to put together a last minute defence to keep the game in your favour or level. Shooting has become a lot more immersive, requiring not only the player using proper footing, but accuracy and other things now come into factor. Crossing is a bit harder, and seems a lot easier to score from (as well as corner kicks). Passing feels smooth and tackling feels even smoother as your players jockey for the football, I really felt like I was watching a real match at times. The new Virtual Pro system is great, albeit a bit late to the party, but it does offer a pretty immersive way to bring your pro to the top of whatever league you chose. Manager Mode is also even better, now with Pre-Season matches and the like - and let's not forget the online multiplayer. With the classic Be a Pro Mode which is a lot of fun with friends, you can now play/host online leagues! This is a great way to start with a bunch of friends and have a few laughs along the way. I haven't really tried the Online League yet (we just started up and are still in pre-season) but I'm hoping it'll turn it cool. For someone who used to have to continually update a website in order to run a Fifa League, having it built in makes life so much easier. And, now you get things like the cool Live Season for free! Player models seem to have gotten duller, but Stadiums look even better, (fans look like sticks though and have like, 3 animations)

That being said there were some notable problems, one being how easy it is to chip the ball into the net. While the goal keepers are much more realistic this time around, they still continually make really silly mistakes. Sometimes the AI seems stupid, and often times just stands around aimlessly, or passes to the wrong player. Crossing is a bit TO sensitive at times, where you'll often times get frustrated when a player smashes the ball forward instead of passing, or the cross just goes flying over the net (even when nobody is marking him) instead of towards the middle. Offside calls are still a bit stupid, while I have noticed the AI trying a lot harder this time around to keep themselves onside. Another complaint I have is the camera in Be a Pro Modes. The Pro cam is to shakey and zoomed in to make any form of tactical play, and the rest of the cameras focus on the ball - not the player, which is a huge problem in my opinion (especially because you'll more than often run offside.) Stadiums are often generic and you don't really feel the atmosphere like you should, fans are to quiet and chant VERY generic things - while I understand they're trying to appeal to the mass of teams, hearing the "Carefree wherever we may be" chant by Chelsea FC at a Liverpool v Everton match raises eyebrows. And come on, Celtic and Ranger matches are supposed to be loud and full of biggotry - it lacks BOTH of these qualities.

All in all though, Fifa 10 has proved to me to be the best football sim (besides Football Manager series o'course) for the consoles, and definatley a great step in the right direction for the EA Sports team. Your thoughts/experiences?

S_D_J
I haven't played FIFA since '98, and that is my favorite football game ever (loved Blur's Song 2). Tried the other ones once and never really liked them.

It was Winning Eleven 6 (PES) for me after that.

The last FIFA game I tried was 2002 erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.