Essential storylines.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kris Blaze
Let's try and compile a list of the best stories for some of the major characters. Since this thread is dedicated to those with their own longer ongoing series, let's try and keep minor characters out of it. I want bigshots like Spider-man, Superman and so on. It can also be major teams, like the X-men or Justice society. I'll start by calling a couple of stories out. These are also favourites of mine of course.

Green Lantern: Rebirth
Superman: For Tomorrow
Daredevil: Guardian devil
Thor: Diassembled/Ragnarok
Spider-man: A death in the family

WickedDynamite
Flash: COIE
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
All-Star Squadron

Aquaman....gosh, I have no clue. messed

Alpha Centauri
I've just bought Rebirth due to recommendation by Pr. Looking forward to it.

Daredevil: Born Again.
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt.
Galactus/F4/Surfer: The Coming of Galactus.
Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle.
Gladiator: War of Kings.
X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Batman: The Killing Joke.
Thor: Disassembled/Ragnarok.
The Avengers: Galactic Storm.

-AC

willRules
Are these the best stories or the most essential? For example I'd say Batman RIP is an essential Batman story but not one of his best. One of the Best Batman stories is the Dark Knight Returns.

For X-men - Dark Phoenix Saga, or AoA is great. As is Mutant Massacre.
Avengers- Red Zone or Maximum Security. I really liked Civil War which redefined the Avengers.

roughrider
Daredevil - Born Again, and Out( which covered a few years of the run by Brian Bendis)
Spider Man - Kraven's Last Hunt, and Spider Man: Blue
Superman - the first few Doomsday storylines (Death Of Superman, and Hunter: Prey) plus Peace On Earth
Thor - Saga of Beta Ray Bill, and the Casket Of Ancient Winters
Green Lantern - Emerald Twilight
Captain America - Death Of Captain America
Iron Man - Extremis, and Crash
Captain Marvel - Trials Of Shazam, and Power Of Hope
Batman - Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Hush, and The Long Halloween

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by willRules
Are these the best stories or the most essential? For example I'd say Batman RIP is an essential Batman story but not one of his best. One of the Best Batman stories is the Dark Knight Returns..

Good point.

Let's settle with the ones WE feel are important.

outavodka
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I've just bought Rebirth due to recommendation by Pr. Looking forward to it.

Daredevil: Born Again.
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt.
Galactus/F4/Surfer: The Coming of Galactus.
Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle.
Gladiator: War of Kings.
X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Batman: The Killing Joke.
Thor: Disassembled/Ragnarok.
The Avengers: Galactic Storm.

-AC just how old are you mate

Darth Jello
Daredevil-Every comic written by Frank Miller, Ann Nocenti, Kevin Smith, Joe Quesada, Brian Bendis, and Ed Brubaker as well as Last Rites (the spiritual sequel to born again), Daredevil: Yellow, Daredevil Redemption, and Battlin' Jack.
Punisher vs. Bullseye
Deadline, Alias, and The Pulse-all issues
Spider-Woman Origins
Captain America-Streets of Poison
Bullseye: Greatest Hits
Elektra Assassin
Elektra Lives Again
Black Widow- pretty much every mini series including the coldest war and abattoir graphic novels (good luck finding the latter).
Watchmen
V for Vendetta

willRules
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Good point.

Let's settle with the ones WE feel are important.

Coolios.

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Daredevil-Every comic written by Frank Miller, Ann Nocenti, Kevin Smith, Joe Quesada, Brian Bendis, and Ed Brubaker as well as Last Rites (the spiritual sequel to born again), Daredevil: Yellow, Daredevil Redemption, and Battlin' Jack.
Punisher vs. Bullseye
Deadline, Alias, and The Pulse-all issues
Spider-Woman Origins
Captain America-Streets of Poison
Bullseye: Greatest Hits
Elektra Assassin
Elektra Lives Again
Black Widow- pretty much every mini series including the coldest war and abattoir graphic novels (good luck finding the latter).
Watchmen
V for Vendetta

Want to keep this to characters who have a history of long ongoing series. Half that list goes out the window.

King Kandy
Spider-Man: The clone saga

Darth Jello
Originally posted by roughrider
Want to keep this to characters who have a history of long ongoing series. Half that list goes out the window.

With the exception of alias/deadline/the pulse, V for Vendetta and watchmen, every single one of those characters other than the Punisher, Spider-Woman and Bullseye have been around since the silver age. Then again, Bullseye and Punny and Jessica Drew may be right on the cutoff of that.

Aztec123
Superman: Wonk
Supergirl: Identity
Secret Six: Unhinged
Green Lantern: Wanted
Secret Six: Villains United
Spectre: Day of Vengence
Teen Titans: Life and Death
Supergirl: Superman/Batman
The Rogues: Rogues Revenge
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Tales
Wonder Woman: The Rise of the Olympians
Donna Troy: The Death and Return of Donna Troy

Aztec123
Dick Grayson : Battle for the Cowl

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Jello
With the exception of alias/deadline/the pulse, V for Vendetta and watchmen, every single one of those characters other than the Punisher, Spider-Woman and Bullseye have been around since the silver age. Then again, Bullseye and Punny and Jessica Drew may be right on the cutoff of that.

Bullseye has never had a regular series.
Jessica Drew's last regular series was nearly 30 years ago. I know Bendis is working on that new one coming any day now...but neither of those two have had a cultural impact on Marvel history. Bullseye is only relevant for what he's done to Daredevil, Jessica Drew for being the centrepiece in the Secret Invasion story (and it wasn't even her.)

Punisher has had a book of his own for nearly 25 years now, so he qualifies. This thread is for the essential storylines of ongoing characters.

Bentley
I was about to say Kang: Avengers Forever, but he is totally a lesser character big grin

Swamp Thing: Alan Moore's whole tenure.

Digi
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t519073.html

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by outavodka
just how old are you mate

Almost 24, why?

-AC

WickedDynamite
Good list you have there Aztec but this one I can't agree on...

Originally posted by Aztec123
Dick Grayson : Battle for the Cowl

Anything current with Grayson becoming Batman is bogus (at least for me) I would suggest Nightwing: Secret Files & Origins.

The story tells you how Dick gave up been Robin and develop the Nightwing image.

Kris Blaze
Spiderman: The Goblin Heir is also a great storyline, really adds on to Norman and Peter's relationship.

klintypooh
Maybe giving issue numbers where possible would be a good idea to let people know where they may want to start.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.