300 spartans vs General Maximus Roman Army

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wild Shadow
if the 300 Spartans and their band of Arcadian's were to fight General Maximus Army, could they win?

could they maintain the Hot gates?

WickedDynamite
Spartans FTW!

Shakyamunison
Romans will kick ***.

Bicnarok

Shakyamunison

Hewhoknowsall
Maximus from the movie???

Either way, Maximus stomps, his army was like in the thousands (or at least I think), and Maximus was a military genius...

Plus, they have superior tech and all, with seige engines that would tear apart the spartan formation(s) and superior weapons/armor.

Lycanthrope
The Romans Got their concepts of Warfare from the Greeks so its not fare to say Legionaries would win. You are talking about a 700 year difference. Man to Man, Roman to Spartan....The Spartans would win. They trained from birth to be warriors. The Romans did it to gain Citizenship and a lucrative life. There is to much of a difference to compare the two.

Bicnarok

jinXed by JaNx
The Romans used similar training and strategies that the Spartans employed. Spartans may possess sharper discipline but with Maximus leading the army i don't think that will be an issue here. I think 300 Spartans vs 300 hardened Roman soldiers is a fair fight...,this is just a massacre, especially when the Romans have big ass catapults and armored soldiers.

doan_m
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
The Romans Got their concepts of Warfare from the Greeks so its not fare to say Legionaries would win. You are talking about a 700 year difference. Man to Man, Roman to Spartan....The Spartans would win. They trained from birth to be warriors. The Romans did it to gain Citizenship and a lucrative life. There is to much of a difference to compare the two.

They may have got it from them, but they also made improvements upon it that make it superior to the Greek fighting style.

Samurai100
Romans would kill the spartans
the romans huge shields would counter the the sparans spears and the romans organization would win the day

Utrigita
The 300 will be wiped from the face of the earth, the Roman War machines would rip them apart.

island-is-stone
I think it would be a tie.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by island-is-stone
I think it would be a tie.

If this were a fair match pitting 300 Spartans vs 300 Romans i definitely agree but this is an entire army with the same basic technology and tactics vs 300 Spartans.

Samurai100
The roman tactict can easily beat the phalanx as befor they charge they throw their pila which will break apart the phalanx formation and the they charge

Samurai100
plus they had catapults

Bladewind
Maximus used the terrain well and had a well-trained armee. Romans for sure!
Samurai there is a edit function use it.

Lord Lucien
Is this Russel Crowe's Maximus and his army? If the Spartans pull a German then they're gonna be pelted with burning oil and flaming arrows/ballistics, advanced upon by a numerically supeiror force armed with big ass shields and tactics they took from the Greeks... and several hundred cavalry riding in to their flanks.

Leonidas is awesome, but c'mon!

PENIS-ENVY
ded

UncleKubby320
Between 300 spartans vs 300 romans matched with their own spears, swords, shields, armor ect. And when i talk about spartans im not reffering to the embellished movie 300. The Spartans would wreck Rome's shit.
And heres why:

Starting with Spartan culture. They had only one profession and that was to be able to kill any mo ****er they go up against, honostly they ****ing made slaves do every other job to run a functioning society so they could spend their lives killing bitches. Even Spartan women could beat the shit out of a regular schmuck nowadays and they had to be be able to do that seeing as how a spartan bachelor might just be craving a heaping portion of rape for dinner.

From the moment a spartan baby comes out of its mother's womb its grabbed by a high elder who inspects the baby and if it doesnt meet the perfect Spartan standard, you're straight up tossed onto the dead baby hill (ya they had a ****ing hill of dead rejected babies wtf! how hardcore is that? Very, thats how hardcore. Now the babies that were up to code, they'd be sent away from their family to live in the barracks to be taught how to kill (some wouldnt even survive the training!!!!) from the age of 7! While all of us were off at little league practice these kids were being underfed and overtrained as they were being taught never to cry or show pain even during their test every so often of being tiet up with the other children and be whipped and see who could last the longest without passing out! All this by the age of 19! By that age spartans had become the best and most experienced warriors of all time. You believed that the greatest honour was to die gloriously on the battlefield so you bet your ass these guys were truley iron-balled, ferocious beasts of men who stare will death in the face. They in fact liked looking down deaths cold face so much they would go off in the summer to start wars with other city-states.

So its pretty much undisputed that Spartans were the best trained and most experienced soldiers the world has ever seen and probably will ever see. So Sparta and romes off duking it out in the pass of thermoplyae. Here the spartan phalanx gains bonus points, its a nearly inpernitrable wall of shield and spear that cant be flanked within the pass. So in conclusion, that is why sparta would wreck Romes shit on the battlefield.

Bschott
The Spartans were hand-to-hand/close-in combatants. They excelled in it and this is what they were known for. In fact I remember a story about a Spartan boy who stole a fox and hid it beneath his cloak when he was confronted by the owner. Rather than letting the theft be discovered, he allowed the fox to gnaw and scratch him without showing any signs of pain while being questioned. He was let go by the owner and the boy later died because of the wounds if I recall. Had he been caught because of showing any pain, the disgrace would not have been in the stealing, but because he showed he was in pain. He would have also been severly whipped.

Tough bastards I give you that, but don't believe everything the movie said. Most of it was exaggerations.

First, babies were inspected by a committee of elders, not one man as shown in the movie, and if considered too weak they were left to die by exposure on the sloped of Mount Taygetos. There was no 'dead baby pile' as shown in the movie.

Also, there was no Spartan gold like when shown in the 'oracle' scene. Point of fact was Silver would have been used if anything, not gold. Real life spartan authorities refused to adopt the system of making silver into coins like the other Greek cities. Instead they used iron bars for money. Try to immagine the king throwing down a bag full of iron bars instead of gold. Yeah, I chuckled a little at the thought too.

Sparta also had two kings, not one, and the kings were not the end-all-be-all power in Sparta. Actually, the people elected 5 elders to watch over the kings and make sure they were held in check. Two elders always went along when a king went out to battle, they handled the diplomatic affairs and could fine or arrest a king if he got too full of himself. Of course the movie couldn't have worked if history had been accurately followed so I give it some leeway here.

Now in real life, when war came to Sparta the Spartan officers relaxed the discipline a bit and allowed their men to beautifying their hair, armor, and their clothing. It was said the men looked like horses prancing and neighing before a big race. They exercised the men less and allowed the men to 'chase tail' (and yes Spartans were 'boy lovers' too, in fact they had institutionalized pediphilia) if they wished. All this was done so that war itself was a rest from the preparation for war.

Many stories from those who fought the Spartans agree it was impressive and frightening see the Spartans advancing in time to a military song played on a flute, calmly and cheerfully moving into the dangerous battle to the sound of music...smiles on their faces. It was unnerving to many enemies to see this. We kind of saw this in the movie, minus the happy-go-lucky flute music.

Spartans were fierce warriors, no doubt. Alexander the Great never went up against them, respecting the knowledge that any confrontation with them would result in heavy losses... but think on this. By 362 BC Sparta's role as the dominant military power in Greece was over. The Thebans under Epaminondas defeated Sparta in 371 BC and so ends Sparta power in Greece. They still were fierce fighters but their height of power was over.

Flash forward 225 years to 146 BC. All of Greece was conquered by the Roman general Lucius Mummiusm, including Sparta. During and after the Roman conquest, Spartans were allowed to continue their way of life. The city became a tourist attraction for the Roman elite in fact.

As for Sparta vs Rome around 170-180 A.D. (when Maximus was in power as a general...being that 180 is when Emperor Marcus Aurelius died and is also the end of the Marcomannic wars which we saw at the start of the movie.)

First off, the Thebeans defeated Sparta back in 371 BC. These are armies using the same technology as the Spartans, were able to defeat the Spartans on equal footing.

Move forward to 146 AD. Rome, with superior weapons, armor, and tactics beats the Spartans along with the rest of Greece.

Now you want to pit the Spartans against an enemy that already has defeated them but give that enemy 300 to 330 years advancement of military tactics, training, and weaponry?

I can respect Spartan training but this would have been a slaughter in favor of the Romans.

This is like asking who would win, the US military of the Civil War or the US Military of WWI? (and that is only 50 years or so difference)

alin
Originally posted by UncleKubby320
Between 300 spartans vs 300 romans matched with their own spears, swords, shields, armor ect. And when i talk about spartans im not reffering to the embellished movie 300. The Spartans would wreck Rome's shit.
And heres why:

Starting with Spartan culture. They had only one profession and that was to be able to kill any mo ****er they go up against, honostly they ****ing made slaves do every other job to run a functioning society so they could spend their lives killing bitches. Even Spartan women could beat the shit out of a regular schmuck nowadays and they had to be be able to do that seeing as how a spartan bachelor might just be craving a heaping portion of rape for dinner.

From the moment a spartan baby comes out of its mother's womb its grabbed by a high elder who inspects the baby and if it doesnt meet the perfect Spartan standard, you're straight up tossed onto the dead baby hill (ya they had a ****ing hill of dead rejected babies wtf! how hardcore is that? Very, thats how hardcore. Now the babies that were up to code, they'd be sent away from their family to live in the barracks to be taught how to kill (some wouldnt even survive the training!!!!) from the age of 7! While all of us were off at little league practice these kids were being underfed and overtrained as they were being taught never to cry or show pain even during their test every so often of being tiet up with the other children and be whipped and see who could last the longest without passing out! All this by the age of 19! By that age spartans had become the best and most experienced warriors of all time. You believed that the greatest honour was to die gloriously on the battlefield so you bet your ass these guys were truley iron-balled, ferocious beasts of men who stare will death in the face. They in fact liked looking down deaths cold face so much they would go off in the summer to start wars with other city-states.

So its pretty much undisputed that Spartans were the best trained and most experienced soldiers the world has ever seen and probably will ever see. So Sparta and romes off duking it out in the pass of thermoplyae. Here the spartan phalanx gains bonus points, its a nearly inpernitrable wall of shield and spear that cant be flanked within the pass. So in conclusion, that is why sparta would wreck Romes shit on the battlefield.

dis is a grate films is my favrit and this movie has best efects i see this film onlien herr filme online and is abolut beautiful 300 plus 1 smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.