SHIELD Discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
So recently it's been revealed that since its beginning, give or take, SHIELD has been controlled by HYDRA. I know SHIELD has been involved in some real shady shit before like the extechop but how is it that it was part of HYDRA? And is that only SHIELD after its reformation or back when Strucker was in power or what?

willRules
This could probably go in the questions thread......although I suppose there's lots of room for discussion on this one....

Nothing has been confirmed but I'd guess that Hydra created SHIELD as a sub-faction for it's own gain and the directors of SHIELD, seeking to stop terrorists, came across Hydra and started foiling their own plans. Hydra effectively shot themselves in the foot, not that they care....after all CUT OFF ONE LIMB AND TWO MORE SHALL TAKE IT'S PLACE....HAIL HYDRA!!!!!

It was revealed that SHIELD, amongst many groups was a Hydra organisation, in Secret Warriors #1. I could be wrong but I think it also mentioned how factions of the United States government also fell under the Hydra umbrella, so maybe it's just a simple case of the groups fighting Hydra without realising Hydra technically owns them.

The Nuul
Question, about comic questions that need to go in the questions thread, Why cant some members see the questions thread that is a sticky and is at the very top of this page?

Darth Jello
Because this may actually create discussion going above and beyond. It was my impression that Nick Fury created the outline for SHIELD but never presented it and then someone else created the agency based on his layout. Also, wasn't SHIELD briefly disbanded and then recreated in the 90's?

willRules
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Because this may actually create discussion going above and beyond. It was my impression that Nick Fury created the outline for SHIELD but never presented it and then someone else created the agency based on his layout. Also, wasn't SHIELD briefly disbanded and then recreated in the 90's?

That's right. Fury came up with the idea and more or less knows SHIELD inside out. He's the ideal director for SHIELD, but was it's 2nd Director (Of 8 so far) after Rick Stoner who was assassinated (blown up I think?) by HYDRA.

There have been some rocky moments for SHIELD in the past. For example there was the time some L.M.D's gained sentience and infiltrated SHIELD. Fury stopped them but the company had to be reformed. Also there was a time whereby the Red Skull got control of a Helicarrier and controlled the crew through Douglock of the New Mutants. Fury, Shadowcat and Nightcrawler sabotaged the Skulls plans. Skull retained the Helicarrier until a later stage.

Disappear
i believe, though i'm not sure whether or not i made this up or it was confirmed in secret warriors, that HYDRA created SHIELD as a way of keeping REAL agencies from tracking them. HYDRA could direct SHIELD from behind the curtain, having them chase certain leads that gave up HYDRA's "small fish" in order to keep them and other agencies from discovering the "big fish" projects. It's like gangsters owning cops. The cops still have to be seen to be hard on crime, but the gangsters who own them can decide what crime the cops actually break up, and are effectively creating their own opponent. this lets them control them, and divert their attention to smaller crimes while the bigger ones go unseen.

except, i guess the "cops" in this situation didn't know they were being owned by the "gangsters."

Darth Jello
So Rick Stoner was a HYDRA agent who used Fury's plans as the basis for creating a false agency and then was assassinated to cover up the evidence?

SO CONVOLUTED!!! Marvel should do what Venture Bros. did with its Nick Fury parody and (at least supposedly) give Fury a sex reassignment.

tjcoady
The question is, how does all of this play into the "Leviathan" organization, revealed in "Secret Warriors: The List?"

A Leviathan agent mocks Osborne for assuming that he's a member of Hydra- that he's part of something so much greater.

Than, at the end, we see that Fury, Baron Strucker, Fury's son, and Dum Dum Dugan all hold places at this "Leviathan's" table.

Soooo... any guesses on that?

willRules
Originally posted by Darth Jello
So Rick Stoner was a HYDRA agent who used Fury's plans as the basis for creating a false agency and then was assassinated to cover up the evidence?

SO CONVOLUTED!!! Marvel should do what Venture Bros. did with its Nick Fury parody and (at least supposedly) give Fury a sex reassignment.

It's possible Stoner was a HYDRA agent, but there's nothing in the comics to even suggest that, aside from the fact HYDRA owned SHIELD and Stoner was the first director. In fact Stoner was assassinated by HYDRA, which would suggest he wasn't a HYDRA agent.

Digi
edited thread title so I don't have to close this.

willRules
Originally posted by Disappear
i believe, though i'm not sure whether or not i made this up or it was confirmed in secret warriors, that HYDRA created SHIELD as a way of keeping REAL agencies from tracking them. HYDRA could direct SHIELD from behind the curtain, having them chase certain leads that gave up HYDRA's "small fish" in order to keep them and other agencies from discovering the "big fish" projects. It's like gangsters owning cops. The cops still have to be seen to be hard on crime, but the gangsters who own them can decide what crime the cops actually break up, and are effectively creating their own opponent. this lets them control them, and divert their attention to smaller crimes while the bigger ones go unseen.

except, i guess the "cops" in this situation didn't know they were being owned by the "gangsters."

Yeah, that's what I reckon Hickman's going for. Problem is, like tjcoady says, the Leviathan further complicates stuff.

Nonetheless, Secret Warriors is a great title, but I do want Stefano Casselli back on art yes

tjcoady
Originally posted by willRules
Yeah, that's what I reckon Hickman's going for. Problem is, like tjcoady says, the Leviathan further complicates stuff.

Nonetheless, Secret Warriors is a great title, but I do want Stefano Casselli back on art yes

Loving this book, and I'd agree with you on Casselli.

One of Marvel's top six books.

Badabing
Originally posted by willRules
This could probably go in the questions thread......although I suppose there's lots of room for discussion on this one....

Nothing has been confirmed but I'd guess that Hydra created SHIELD as a sub-faction for it's own gain and the directors of SHIELD, seeking to stop terrorists, came across Hydra and started foiling their own plans. Hydra effectively shot themselves in the foot, not that they care....after all CUT OFF ONE LIMB AND TWO MORE SHALL TAKE IT'S PLACE....HAIL HYDRA!!!!!

It was revealed that SHIELD, amongst many groups was a Hydra organisation, in Secret Warriors #1. I could be wrong but I think it also mentioned how factions of the United States government also fell under the Hydra umbrella, so maybe it's just a simple case of the groups fighting Hydra without realising Hydra technically owns them. Will pretty much covered it.

I've really been enjoying Secret Warriors. I highly recommend the book.

Darth Jello
Wouldn't it make sense to kill Stoner to cover their tracks, especially since HYDRA assumes that two more heads will grow in his place?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.