Nintendo DSi LL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J
Nintendo officially reveals the DSi LL

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/153494-/2132396777_full-noscale.jpg

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/153494-/2132396779_full-noscale.jpg

and:

Another new Nintendo handheld next year? Slow down!

good thing is just an analyst saying random stuff (just like that ass Patcher...)

but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does indeed launch a new handheld (besides the LL) next year

QFT

Ms.Marvel
nintendo sucks.

S_D_J
I'm very much inclined to buying one though... I skipped the DSi entirely, but this one looks sexy big grin

Darth Jello
How about they use the extra size to put port 2 back on it so that you can play GBA games and use accessories or (gasp) maybe even play original Game Boy games on it.

Scythe
Cool I guess, though the point of the DS for me to have one is that I want it small and as handheld as possible.

Darth Jello
Yeah but there comes a point where it's impractical and uncomfortable.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Scythe
Cool I guess, though the point of the DS for me to have one is that I want it small and as handheld as possible.

I like it BIG 131

Scythe
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Yeah but there comes a point where it's impractical and uncomfortable.

True.

Originally posted by S_D_J
I like it BIG 131

Haha, that looks like I'd break it if it was in my back pocket.

S_D_J
I wouldn't know since I don't usually sit on it 131

I like the idea of a bigger screen, especially considering the touch screen. Of course I know the resolution won't be increased or anything, it just a tad bit more precise... at least that's how I see it

Ushgarak
Obviously intrigued by the idea of deliberately making something bigger.

I have heard people say they would like a bigger screen on the DS (though... you know... resolution and all...) so this might satisfy. I suspect this MIGHT be aimed at an older market- a version of the DSi that is easier to use, basically.

AsbestosFlaygon
"Gotta love Nintendo and its ability to release ten billion versions of one handheld."

Couldn't say it better myself.

No thanks, but I'm sticking with the DS Lite.
I still love playing some of those good ol' GBA games sometimes.

EDIT:
314g! You've gotta be kidding me!
That's almost 2x the weight of a PSP Lite laughing out loud
Buy it if you don't mind straining your wrists

Zack Fair
LoL.

A bazillion DSs. Funny.

Ridley_Prime
Soon, the DS will have even more different versions of it made than the Game Boy did. no expression

There was like, the regular old fat Game Boy, then Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP...

Now it's DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi LL...
Next is DSi LLLL or DSi LL 2.0 I'm guessing? huh

AsbestosFlaygon
Don't forget the Game Boy Micro

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Obviously intrigued by the idea of deliberately making something bigger.

I have heard people say they would like a bigger screen on the DS (though... you know... resolution and all...) so this might satisfy. I suspect this MIGHT be aimed at an older market- a version of the DSi that is easier to use, basically.

thumb up

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Soon, the DS will have even more different versions of it made than the Game Boy did. no expression

There was like, the regular old fat Game Boy, then Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP...

Now it's DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi LL...
Next is DSi LLLL or DSi LL 2.0 I'm guessing? huh

To be fair: the GB and GBAdvance are two different handheld consoles (like say PS1 vs PS2)... but yeah, they came out like 2 years after the other...

...and there's that bit about Nvidia working for Nintendo (which is actually true) so we could get a new handheld/console announcement as soon as next year

I hope the DSi LL has better speaker.... I'm really not much of a headphones fan erm

Scythe
I hope the DSi LL has better speaker.... I'm really not much of a headphones fan erm

Same here.

AsbestosFlaygon
I feel sorry for those who bought a DSi

/sarcasm

SaTsuJiN
its probably good if you skipped on the DSi.. but I didnt and I rather like my DSi.. the dpad isnt as terrible as the lite's

will not be bothering with LL.. its just too ridiculous to be releasing so much DS.. are they aiming to create as many portables as there are pokemon titles? I dont get it

AsbestosFlaygon
This is one of the biggest scams ever in the history of gaming consoles.

After 7 months, Nintendo is literally releasing just about the same product with a few additions.

S_D_J
Stacy Malibu Syndrome

that has always been the case with Nintendo erm

Darth Jello
I have tiny hands and tiny, dexterous fingers (hence my stated preference for small scale Fenders, Eastwoods, Gibsons, and Danelectros with tiny necks in the music forum) and even I find things like the current DS and the GBA SP pretty uncomfortable, especially due to the sqaure edges around the shoulder buttons. I think the Game Boy Micro is completely unplayable.

AsbestosFlaygon
Wishlist for Next-gen DS
(or whatever the name of the next portable console is from Nintendo):

1. Replace D-pad with analog

2. Media playback (MP3, AVI, MPEG, WMV)

3. Overall weight preferably less than 200g

Ushgarak
Analogue is a pain on a handheld- I am not convinced of its value. A digital d-pad is better for DS-style platformers anyway, and adding an analogue on top of that is inefficient.

Personally I would trade high-quality media playback for, say, a better battery life (not that those are exactly opposed concepts, I know). Battery life has often been the holy grail for handhelds. It was one of the original Game Boy's biggest successes.

Peach
I haven't really found the battery life lacking on the DSi. Certainly kept me occupied while sitting in an airport for hours and hours.

Analog on a handheld is a terrible idea. Hasn't the PSP already proven that it doesn't work well?

Anyway, a bigger handheld is the last thing I need. I'll stick with my DSi.

(even though that reddish system is an awesome color)

Quincy
I think the analog stick on the PSP works fine. Dissidia plays very well.

AsbestosFlaygon
After some time, the D-pad on the DS strains my thumb, something I don't experience when playing the PSP (when using the analog).

Ushgarak
The PSP analogue stick has received a fair amount of criticism. It's also prone to breakage. I honestly don't think they are a great idea with handhelds. A digital controller is important.

S_D_J
the PSP's analog rub is actually quite good. I never had problems with it, and it is pretty responsive...

Originally posted by Peach
Analog on a handheld is a terrible idea. Hasn't the PSP already proven that it doesn't work well?

the only criticism I ever heard is the lack of a second analog rub

Nintendo D-pads have always been the best one, but it does strains the thumb after heavy usage, the ability to move in 8 directions makes the analog much perfect for it.... though most DS games I played barely use the d-pad, it's always the stylus, that's why the idea of a bigger screen it's quite appealing to me smile

AsbestosFlaygon

thumb up
That's part of my wishlist for the next PSP.

Darth Jello
the PSP's analog rub is actually quite good. I never had problems with it, and it is pretty responsive...

Nintendo D-pads have always been the best one, but it does strains the thumb after heavy usage, the ability to move in 8 directions makes the analog much perfect for it.... though most DS games I played barely use the d-pad, it's always the stylus, that's why the idea of a bigger screen it's quite appealing to me smile

I feel like the thumb strain comes from the small size and a lack of thumb support at the joint. The problem could be easily solved with a pair of extending flaps from the bottom corners. I agree with Ushgarak in regards to battery life. The only bells and whistles I want is the second port to come back. I don't own the DSi, just the DS lite so I don't have an opinion on the camera or DSiware.
With the PSP I feel like there's the same problem. Lack of joint support for thumbs but for some reason I only feel it on my left hand side. I just hope they never bring back that rotating crap that the Wonderswan did.

And I depending on the game, I do prefer Nintendo's D-Pad over other method's of control and I don't want it to come to fullfill the same purpose on handhelds that it did on the two previous consoles where it just felt like a something superfluous you never use, like a wisdom tooth on your controller.

I think the main debate comes down to convenience of carry vs. convenience of use and carry has been consistantly winning out over the last several years.

Scythe
So, seven months after this DSi LL comes out, there's gonna be another Nintendo handheld??

Ushgarak
Maybe. They had a true successor to the DS in development but canned it. Why bother? Remade versions are chaper to develop and apparently sell just as much.

They won't move on until sales start to seriously drop (still no sign of that) or serious competition comes (PSP hasn't quite managed that yet).

I wouldn't mind, except they have done nothing useful with the features of the DSi yet.

Darth Jello
Well they found a use for the color lake placid blue other than painting old cars and really cool guitars

AsbestosFlaygon
Seems like Nintendo is turning to be the Apple of the gaming industry.

"It really doesn't pay to be an early adopter anymore does it? Not as bad as Sega's 32X / Saturn screw up, but it does come close. As far as the hefty price tag, Nintendo should take note of PSP go sales. Never thought i'd see the day of handhelds being more expensive than consles.

And with this thing coming out so soon after the holiday season, my heart goes out to all you parents out there who will have to deal with the kids screaming their need for a DSi XL to replace the suddenly unhip DSi you just gave them.

Nintendo...you sly devil you...."

---< buckybuckster

The technology contained within the DSi's shell is far too archaic to warrant the astronomical price tag. VGA camera? LAWL.

The best DS is the Lite. While it is uncomfortably small for my hands, the screen is perfectly bright, unlike the original.DS Phat, and the console still retains its GBA slot functionality.

Scythe
How much are these DSi LL's gonna go up for?

AsbestosFlaygon
MSRP is $220 (134 euros) in Japan

Scythe
Oh shi-!

That's like: "What do you want for xmas Timmy, a DSi or a PS3/360?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.