Lightsaber versus Adamantium....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
This has been discussed for quite a while here in the MVF, so I figured I'd start a poll on it. Make your choice, and back it up with your reasons.

Quincy
Lightsaber for no reason.

Utrigita
Lightsaber.

Imo it will either slice through it in the first strike ore the adamantium will simple give in after constantly bashed on by the lightsaber.

Rogue Jedi
Man, DDM is gonna explode when he sees this thread haermm

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Utrigita
Lightsaber.

Imo the adamantium will simple give in after constantly bashed on by the lightsaber. I agree with this. The constant heat from the lightsaber will wear the adamantium down in time.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I agree with this. The constant heat from the lightsaber will wear the adamantium down in time.

Despite adamatium having the properties of being "virtually indestructible", silly.

In that shitty-shit movie Origins:Wolverine, Wolverine's claws were heated up to the point where they glowed bright red, this did nothing.

Rogue Jedi
I know, but there's no way to know if 11's eye blasts are as hot as a lightsaber. Really this whole thread is going to be opinion based, no way to prove either side. I just thought it would be fun to discuss."Virtually" means more or less, not literally.

Robtard
I know, but there's no way to know if 11's eye blasts are as hot as a lightsaber. Really this whole thread is going to be opinion based, no way to prove either side. I just thought it would be fun to discuss."Virtually" means more or less, not literally.

No, we don't.

What we do know:

-Adamantium is never harmed on film, with the exception of more adamantium (which was shit writing in a shit movie).

-Lightsabres are capable of being stopped by durable enough metals.

Virtually means: 'Nearly' and 'for all intents and purposes'.

So that all above fares in the favor of adamatium withstanding a lightsabre. In a guessing situation.

Rogue Jedi
I agree on that, but we are talking two different universes, different elements and different metals. For all we know, Adamantium, in the SW universe, is no stronger than an average metal. Then again, it might be uber compared to phrik metal.

Robtard
I agree on that, but we are talking two different universes, different elements and different metals. For all we know, Adamantium, in the SW universe, is no stronger than an average metal. Then again, it might be uber compared to phrik metal.

That is silly, as we can also say Mandaloran armor is no strogner than lead. Which is also ridiculous.

Virtually indestructible means just that, here, there and in a land called Honalee.

Add it all up, it doesn't favor on the side of the lightsabre.

Reading up on Beskar (Mandalorian iron), it's extremely similar to adamantium in properties.

jaden101

Phrik is a fictional alloy and so is Adamantium. For all we can hypothesise they could be the same thing but with different names.

The only thing you can go by onscreen or within the respective storyline's is how it's described and what it reacts to. Adamantium is classed as virtually indestructible. So is Phrik. Phrik is impervious to lightsabre blows...So by description only, So would Adamantium.

I also just don't think the lightsabre is the ultimate cutting weapon that a lot of people make it out to be.

BruceSkywalker
i really have no idea as i like both

Utrigita
Originally posted by Robtard
-Lightsabres are capable of being stopped by durable enough metals.

Sorry but the scene where this happens have slipped my mind.

I'm aware of the Phrik but I was under the impression from the source book that it was as much the energy field as the metal itself that kept the staff from being sliced in half.

KingD19
The only thing that resisted a saber in the movies was another saber, and the Magna-Guards Phrik staffs. However, in the EU, there are only a few metals that can withstand a saber, even fewer outright block it.

And while Beskar can take a beating from a saber, the saber would eventually get through.

Hewhoknowsall
I doubt that a lightsaber could instantly cut through, but if you using a lightsaber apply continuous pressure to adamantium, wouldn't you eventually cut through? So far, I don't remember any time in which anything literally destroys a lightsaber BLADE, so wouldn't it slowly melt the metal?

KingD19
A lightsaber can cut through starship hulls. Eventually it would get through if you kept hitting the same spot, or if you kept it on one spot long enough.

And the only thing to short out a lightsaber blade is a blade heavily laced with Cortosis, which will short the saber out for a few seconds.

Robtard
Originally posted by Utrigita
Sorry but the scene where this happens have slipped my mind.

I'm aware of the Phrik but I was under the impression from the source book that it was as much the energy field as the metal itself that kept the staff from being sliced in half.

The scene were Luke tries to cut the giant robotic frog; he fails.

Prick, Beskar, Cortosis; there's another I think.

KingD19
Prhik, Beskar, Cortosis, Darkswords, Sith Alchemic weapons, and a Force imbued weapon.

Plus almost everything Yuuzhan Vong related, although they couldn't last forever.

Most of them will eventually give out though. Most of the metals have some reasoning behind them why they resist, but I'm not sure Adamantium could handle it for a super long amount of time.

Darth Martin
Where's the "Let's respect both universe's claims of 'indestructable' and call it even." choice in the poll. Mark me in for that.

KingD19
I don't go for that because in the SW universe, while there are a bunch of metals that can resist or block lightsabers, they all eventually give way.

Darth Martin
That's EU. Not movie canon.

Although I will say this. If a gun was pointed to my head and I had to choose, I'd say that adamantium would fail to cut a lightsaber. While it's a physical metal, a lightsaber is a beam of energy.

Blinky
IMO it's pretty silly to ASSUME that a lightsaber can cut through adamantium.

As Robtard pointed out, Adamantium is said to be "virtually indestructible" that's all we know.

Has it ever been said in the SW movies that lightsabres can cut through "Virtually everything" ? Nah.

Look I love SW (the orginals) as much as the next guy, but c'mon.

KingD19
It was never stated, but it was heavily implied, since absolutely nothing in any of the 6 movies stood up to a saber except the Phrik blades, which are naturally resistant to the energy field the lightsaber produces.

Blinky
Adamantium was never implied to be "Virtually indestructible" is was STATED to be "Virtually indestructible".

Stop making assumptions.

Rogue Jedi
And "Virtually" is far from "Literally."

jinXed by JaNx
my penis laughs at me for posting in this thread but i really really have to because the nerd inside just can't resist. Marvel makes shit up even more than George Lucas does as well but at least Marvel tries to back their bull shit up with yearly encylopedias documenting their bull crap. Both sides create incredible characters who often seem to forget about their abilities but Adamantium is always indestructible. I'm going to bet that a lightsaber won't be able to cut through adamantium but it's probably going to weaken it.

Blinky
And "Virtually" is far from "Literally."

Well at least Adamantium has something concrete STATED about its durability.

The capabilities of a lightsabre is vague. Point out where it was explicitly stated that lightsabres can cut through "Virtually anything", then I'll call it a draw.

Until then ; a lightsabre's blade is only as strong as the fanboyism that exagerates its capabilities.

Ms.Marvel
The scene were Luke tries to cut the giant robotic frog; he fails.

what? no expression

Blinky
^ I was wondering about that myself.

KingD19
Originally posted by Blinky
Adamantium was never implied to be "Virtually indestructible" is was STATED to be "Virtually indestructible".

Stop making assumptions.

Yeah, so virtually indestructible that a bullet of the same stuff put a hole in Logan's skull. If it was virtually indestructible, then the bullet wouldn't have put a hole in his skull, and it wouldn't have been messed up. It would have just bounced off or something.

EvilAngel
Imo the Lightsaber cuts right through it.

Why

Easily, how did they get that metal into Wolverine?

They heated it up until it was liquid. Now, I'm not massive on X-men or Star Wars but last i checked Light sabers burns right through blast resistant doors somewhat easily. So I have my doubts the adamantium would be a problem.

Note: terms like "Virtually indestructable" mean nothing to me, it's either indestructable or destructable. "Virtually indestructable" means resistant by our standards but destructable. Last i checked nothing we have would come close to resisting a Lightsaber, so adamantium being "Virtually indestructable" by that standard is meaningless.

Blinky
Yeah... and lightsabres bounce off each other and can not cut through Phrik.

THINK.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by EvilAngel
Imo the Lightsaber cuts right through it.

Why

Easily, how did they get that metal into Wolverine?

They heated it up until it was liquid. Now, I'm not massive on X-men or Star Wars but last i checked Light sabers burns right through blast resistant doors somewhat easily. So I have my doubts the adamantium would be a problem.

Note: terms like "Virtually indestructable" mean nothing to me, it's either indestructable or destructable. "Virtually indestructable" means resistant by our standards but destructable. Last i checked nothing we have would come close to resisting a Lightsaber, so adamantium being "Virtually indestructable" by that standard is meaningless. Well, in X2, Stryker states that once adamantium cools, it is virtually indestructible.

-Pr-
canon wise, energy fields seem to be the only thing that can stop lightsabers, so yes, i'd say they can cut through adamantium.

Blinky
Originally posted by -Pr-
canon wise, energy fields seem to be the only thing that can stop lightsabers, so yes, i'd say they can cut through adamantium.

That's BS even the SW fanboys know this. Cortosis and Phrik are proof that you're wrong.

Besides, this is the MOVIE VS forum no EU bullshit allowed here.

EvilAngel
Well, in X2, Stryker states that once adamantium cools, it is virtually indestructible.

Contradictory.

Unless it is before acquired, in a constant liquid state (unlikely) we know this cannot be the complete truth.

Seems to me he melted it down then shaped it in the same process as placing it.

Emphasis on the melted.

KingD19
Yeah... and lightsabres bounce off each other and can not cut through Phrik.

THINK.

Yeah... and lightsabers are blades of pure energy, which is why they don't cut each other. As for Phrik, I've already explained that it is naturally resistant to the lightsabers specific wavelength of energy.

THINK.

And like I said, if it's indestructible, a bullet of the same stuff shouldn't go through it.

As for Cortosis and Phrik, I don't see what you fail to realize about them being naturally resistant to a lightsaber. But I forgot to mention, they eventually get destroyed by lightsabers.

-Pr-
That's BS even the SW fanboys know this. Cortosis and Phrik are proof that you're wrong.

Besides, this is the MOVIE VS forum no EU bullshit allowed here.

i said CANON wise. the books arent canon to the movies.

Blinky
Originally posted by KingD19
Yeah... and lightsabers are blades of pure energy, which is why they don't cut each other. As for Phrik, I've already explained that it is naturally resistant to the lightsabers specific wavelength of energy.

THINK.
Hahaha nice dodging.

i said CANON wise. the books arent canon to the movies.
Please tell me where in the movies this is explicitly stated. I'm dying to know.

Rogue Jedi
Contradictory.

Unless it is before acquired, in a constant liquid state (unlikely) we know this cannot be the complete truth.

Emphasis on the melted. I know, that's where it gets all clustered for me.

EvilAngel
I know, that's where it gets all clustered for me.

Just calling it how i see it.

Anyone who claims for a 'fact' that they know what would happen when these two fictional items clashed is pulling it out of their ass, that is what i believe.

From what I've seen, i say Lightsabers, i have provided what i think to be logical reasoning so for me that's case + point happy

Good thread idea though, it is among a select few that is actually debatable.

KingD19
What exactly am I dodging Blinky Boy?

-Pr-
Hahaha nice dodging.

Please tell me where in the movies this is explicitly stated. I'm dying to know.

i said it WASN'T stated in the movies. there is no mention of any solid object stopping a lightsaber in the movies.

no cortosis, or whatever else you mentioned.

Blinky
i said it WASN'T stated in the movies. there is no mention of any solid object stopping a lightsaber in the movies.

no cortosis, or whatever else you mentioned.

Yeah sorry, I got suckered into talking about EU bullsh*t.

There isn't any mention of a lightsabre being able to cut through "Virtually Anything", in the movies. That is my point, it has yet to be addressed.

KingD19
I never said it was stated, I said it was implied, whenever a lightsaber hit something other than a lightsaber or a Phrik staff, it cut through.

-Pr-
Yeah sorry, I got suckered into talking about EU bullsh*t.

There isn't any mention of a lightsabre being able to cut through "Virtually Anything", in the movies. That is my point, it has yet to be addressed.

is it required, though? we've seen them cut through flesh, metal, starships, blast doors, etc.

Blinky
My point is:

Well at least Adamantium has something concrete STATED about its durability.

The capabilities of a lightsabre is vague. Point out where it was explicitly stated that lightsabres can cut through "Virtually anything", then I'll call it a draw.

Until then ; a lightsabre's blade is only as strong as the fanboyism that exagerates its capabilities.

-Pr-
My point is:

you can look at it that way, but it's also a fact that there is nothing like a lightsaber in existence that adamantium has been tested against. to assume it would stop it based on a vague description of being "virtually indestructible" is a bit of a reach, imo.

Robtard
Contradictory.

Emphasis on the melted.

Watch X2, Styker says something along the lines of "you have to keep it in a super-heated state to mold; once it cools, it becomes virtually indestructible", ie once the shit sets, it's indestructible 'for all intents and purposes'.

Adamantium is an alloy, so he melted down the individual metals and mixed them to form adamatium.

Robtard

EvilAngel
Watch X2, Styker says something along the lines of "you have to keep it in a super-heated state to mold; once it cools, it becomes virtually indestructible", ie once the shit sets, it's indestructible 'for all intents and purposes'.

Adamantium is an alloy, so he melted down the individual metals and mixed them to form adamatium.

Well if that's your opinion i don't see the point in arguing against you about it. But what the hey I'll humour you.

It's still contradictory.

Even if you mix the metals to form the "virtually indestructible" alloy then the moment they are mixed it should start to harden/solidify in order for that statement to be true.

The fact it can be kept superheated is proof it can be melted.

Does this make sense or shall i reword it?

I'm really not very good when it comes to trying to explain.... technicalities

Robtard
Well if that's your opinion i don't see the point in arguing against you about it. But what the hey I'll humour you.

It's still contradictory.

Even if you mix the metals to form the "virtually indestructible" alloy then the moment they are mixed it should start to harden/solidify in order for that statement to be true.

The fact it can be kept superheated is proof it can be melted.

Does this make sense or shall i reword it?

I'm really not very good when it comes to trying to explain.... technicalities

No, once it cools its properties change and it takes on the indestructible quality, after the cooling; not before. AFTER.

Robtard

And it won't, watch.

EvilAngel
No, once it cools its properties change and it takes on the indestructible quality, after the cooling; not before. AFTER.

Interesting.

However your argument is limited by "virtually indestructible" as far as i can see. The problem with this is has Striker ever seen or had experience with a lightsaber type weapon?

If he hasn't i would be inclined to think that statement is fallible when it comes to this argument.

Robtard
Interesting.

However your argument is limited by "virtually indestructible" as far as i can see. The problem with this is has Striker ever seen or had experience with a lightsaber type weapon?

If he hasn't i would be inclined to think that statement is fallible when it comes to this argument.

Virtually indestructible means just that, here, there, anywhere. The end. The lightsabre argument is limited to "well, they're really hot." I also love how adamantium is the one to always have to prove it can resist, when it actually has something stated going for it.

Here, let me dumb it down. In the films:

-Adamantium has a "virtually indestructible" clause.

-Lightsabres are shown cutting through many types of materials in the films, none of them being indestructible or virtually indestructible, though.

So logic dictates that the lightsabre need to prove it can cut adamantium, as its never faced something of this high durability. If there's no 'cuts through anything' or 'can virtually cut through anything' clause, then it can't cut adamantium. Go on, show me something from the films. Dazzle me. Anyone.

Edit: As far as your assertion that Stryker is flawed in making that statement, he comes from a universe where mutants have an array of epically powerful and destructive powers. A lightsabre is nothing compared to what the likes of Magneto and Dark Phoenix can do to metal/matter.

EvilAngel
Virtually indestructible means just that, here, there, anywhere. The end. The lightsabre argument is limites to "well, they're really hot."I also love how adamantium is the one to always have to prove it can resist, when it actually has something stated going for it.

Here, let me dumb it down. In the films:

-Adamantium has a "virtually indestructible" clause.

-Lightsabres are shown cutting through many types of materials in the films, none of them being indestructible or virtually indestructible, though.

So logic dictates that the lightsabre need to prove it can cut adamantium, as its never faced something of this high durability. If there's no 'cuts through anything' or 'can virtually cut through anything' clause, then it can't cut adamantium.

Go on, show me something from the films. Dazzle me. Anyone.

I won't try and prove it can, because as i said:

Anyone who claims for a 'fact' that they know what would happen when these two fictional items clashed is pulling it out of their ass, that is what i believe.

However i will attempt to explain my reasoning to you. I'm not saying it's indisputable proof but then no such thing in these debates.

as simply as i am able:

- "virtually indestructible" is a ridiculous statement. Do you suppose that means it can withstand a black hole? or resist the impact of some galactic sized entity? Ridiculous.

- "virtually indestructible" is a varying term, a relative to other comparison. This metal is merely allot more durable than anything else striker has ever seen, so much so he believes it cannot be destroyed by anything he has seen. Hence "virtually indestructible".

- Striker has never seen a lightsaber, so his words of "virtually indestructible" are meaningless. Yes Adamantium is ridiculously durable. Granted.

- However the materials that resist lightsabers have certain qualities. There's no reasoning to think adamantium can resist because it's durable. Sure, i accept it may be more resilient than other materials, but to claim immunity is a silly thing.

- So far as i have seen i see no reason to think it can resist a lightsaber. Assuming it can because striker thinks it's "virtually indestructible" doesn't hold with me.

But hey that's my opinion, i could be wrong sure, but that's just how i see it.

Robtard
We do have a fact, Adamantium is "virtually indestructible". About the only fact in this debate.

Virtually means 'nearly' & 'for all intents and purposes'. So there are things that can destroy it; maybe something like the gravity well of a black-hole could. This would be logical and within reason.

No, virtually indestructible means just that, don't try and redefine it to fit were you want and I already showed you how Stryker is well aware of ultra-powerful destructive forces, mutant powers.

I ask again then, show he where a lightsabre has cut something that is nearly indestructible or where it's stated they can 'cut through virtually anything'? If you can't, it's illogical to guess they could cut, when all we have is lightsabres cuting materials that can be cut/destroyed by other means.

-Pr-

EvilAngel
We do have a fact, Adamantium is "virtually indestructible". About the only fact in this debate.

Virtually means 'nearly' & 'for all intents and purposes'. So there are things that can destroy it; maybe something like the gravity well of a black-hole could. This would be logical and within reason.

No, virtually indestructible means just that, don't try and redefine it to fit were you want and I already showed you how Stryker is well aware of ultra-powerful destructive forces, mutant powers.

I ask again then, show he where a lightsabre has cut something that is nearly indestructible or where it's stated they can 'cut through virtually anything." All we have is lightsabres destroying materials that can be destroyed by other means.

"virtually indestructible" is not a fact, it's an opinion. Of a human who is very much fallible.

"For all intents and purposes" so you think striker intended it to resist a lightsaber or... what?

Trying to argue the outcome when fictional item X claches with fictional weapon Y...... this is kind of pointless.

Robtard
it is vague. "virtually" doesn't mean shit when you're talking about something like adamantium, because we have no frame of reference.

WTF? Are you joking now, we're talking about two words. Virtually and Indestructible.

We do have a frame of reference, the meaning of the word 'Indestructible', which means, can not be destroyed. Now Adamantium is "nearly" and "for all intents and purposes" this, INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Robtard
"virtually indestructible" is not a fact, it's an opinion. Of a human who is very much fallible.

"For all intents and purposes" so you think striker intended it to resist a lightsaber or... what?

Trying to argue the outcome when fictional item X claches with fictional weapon Y...... this is kind of pointless.

No, it's a fact that Styker said "virtually indestructible". This human is also well aware of super-destructive forces, when making that claim.

Again, why is it automatically assumed that a lightsabre is the ultimate weapon of destruction? This is where you're arguing from, and it's completely baseless.

Tell me, why do you think this? When all we see a lightsabre do is cut through shit that isn't indestructible or virtually indestructible.

Obviously we'll never know, but applying what we do know and logic, an outcome that is more likely than the other can he achieved.

EvilAngel
No, it's a fact that Styker said "virtually indestructible". This human is also well aware of super-destructive forces, when making that claim.

Again, why is it automatically assumed that a lightsabre is the ultimate weapon of destruction? This is where you're arguing from, and it's completely baseless.

Tell me, why do you think this? When all we see a lightsabre do is cut through shit that isn't indestructible or virtually indestructible.

It's a fact he said that, this is true.

What isn't correct is to assume that to be a fact, as aware as he may or may not be he's not in a position to know this. He is limited to his experience, which does not include lightsabers.

It's not, far from it, but a weapon that has the ability to instantly heat meats into thousands of degree's, melting blast doors in seconds.... well frankly nothing I've seen in any X-men movies suggests to me Adamantium is THAT tough. Heck they look like they nearly melted from Deadpools eye beams.

The last guy was deadpool right? I'm a little hazy on names.

Robtard
Again, that statement assumes that a lightsabre is the ultimate tool of destruction. It's baseless. "He's not aware of lightsabres."

Stryker is well aware of mutant powers that make lightsabres look weak, in terms of destruction.

Those blast doors don't have a nealy indestructioble clause, now do they? As those ships get destroyed by explosives.

No, they heated up; that's all.

EvilAngel
Again, that statement assumes that a lightsabre is the ultimate tool of destruction. It's baseless. "He's not aware of lightsabres."

Stryker is well aware of mutant powers that make lightsabres look weak, in terms of destruction.

No, they heated up; that's all.

Incorrect. Lightsabers do however, have very powerful concentrated power. While not destructive their effects on things they come into contact with are devestating. More so than most mutant powers.

It's not about destruction. It's about the effect it has on a select area.

Okay. That's your opinion. Unless of course you can prove it.

Robtard
Incorrect. Lightsabers do however, have very powerful concentrated power. While not destructive their effects on things they come into contact with are devestating. More so than most mutant powers.

It's not about destruction. It's about the effect it has on a select area.

Okay. That's your opinion. Unless of course you can prove it.

Don't be foolish. Magneto can manipulate metal on the atomic level. Dark Phoenix can disintegrate, at the atomic level.

See above.

No, it's a fact that the Optic Blast didn't harm the adamantium, as it's clearly seen on film.

BTW, Im still waiting for something that says or shows sabres can cut through virtually anything or can cut through anything. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

EvilAngel
Don't be foolish. Magneto can manipulate metal on the atomic level. Dark Phoenix can disintegrate, at the atomic level.

See above.

No, it's a fact that the Optic Blast didn't harm the adamantium, as it's clearly seen on film.

BTW, Im still waiting for something that says or whows sabres can cut through virtually anything or can cut through anything. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

Heh, fair enough. But does striker know those things? Specifically is he aware Dark Phoenix can disintegrate at the atomic level?

Obviously not that clearly. Sure, it didn't look damaged, but it didn't look like it was fine either. It looked as though it had taken a dangerous amount of warming up if you ask me.

This took me the whole of 20 seconds to find.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber
Originally posted by Wookiepedia

A lightsaber blade was a mass-less form that neither radiated heat nor expended energy until it came into contact with something solid. The power of the energy blade was so great that it could cut through almost anything, although the speed through which it cut depended on the density of the subject. One important note about lightsaber wounds is that they rarely bleed profusely, even when a limb had been severed. This is because the energy blade cauterized the wound as it passed, and thus even a severe wound did not tend to bleed heavily.

When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc causes resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gives the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material. Rarely, some solid materials can actually pass through the electromagnetic field and short out the arc. Other Electromagnetic energy fields and coherent energy are also repelled by lightsabers' arcs. These include most force fields, blaster bolts, and other lightsaber blades.

Also just above this is the quote:

"My Master taught me that a lightsaber can cut through anything."
by Exar Kun.

Does that not neutralise your statement?

Ms.Marvel
did either jean or magneto ever try to disintegrate or manipulate it though and fail? actually as i remember it magneto was begging to warp his claws right before cyclops pushed logan through his defenses in the end of xmen 1.

Ms.Marvel
Heh, fair enough. But does striker know those things? Specifically is he aware Dark Phoenix can disintegrate at the atomic level?

Obviously not that clearly. Sure, it didn't look damaged, but it didn't look like it was fine either. It looked as though it had taken a dangerous amount of warming up if you ask me.

This took me the whole of 20 seconds to find.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

Also just above this is the quote:

"My Master taught me that a lightsaber can cut through anything."
by Exar Kun.

Does that not neutralise your statement?

hes asking for movie only proof... so i would say no. exar kun is a comic book character.

EvilAngel
Oh well fudgcicles.

Meh i give, i really couldn't care less if it can burn through Adamantium or not happy

Ms.Marvel
its a good feeling to debate something without actually caring what the outcome is int it stick out tongue

Placidity
Considering X-men Origins, I would say LS>ADM

Ignoring that film, for which there are many reasons, mainly cause it was bullshit, I would say LS=ADM.

Quincy
How are Optic Blasts being used as surrogates for a lightsaber in this argument?

An optic blast is like a kinetic punch. Throughout the X-Men films, if people get hit, they just go flying. When have they had serious ridiculous burns on their chest?

If you get hit with a lightsaber - it just straight up burns through you. I've never seen the optic blast capable of tearing through somebody.

Placidity
Originally posted by Quincy
How are Optic Blasts being used as surrogates for a lightsaber in this argument?

An optic blast is like a kinetic punch. Throughout the X-Men films, if people get hit, they just go flying. When have they had serious ridiculous burns on their chest?

In Origins Wolverine, Cyke's optic blast had both concussive and heat components. Yea I know, it sucked sad

Hewhoknowsall
A lightsaber applying pressure on secondary adamantium should eventually, melt through. A COMPLETELY lightsaber (other than another lightsaber) resistant material has never been shown in neither the movies, books, comics or any other canon material in the Star Wars universe, which I may say includes armor capable of stopping gigaton power blasts.

Robtard
We're talking about primary adamantium, the good shit.

If we're bringing in non-movie info, then 616 adamantium is basically indestructible, as Odin mustering all his god-force still only managed to slighty dent a small cylinder of it. I'm pretty sure Thor's god-magic is greater than a glow-stick.

It is susceptible to molecular rearrangement via powerful forces; ligthsabres don't do this. Edit: Fanboy-free lightsabres don't do this.

Hewhoknowsall
We're talking about primary adamantium, the good shit.

If we're bringing in non-movie info, then 616 adamantium is basically indestructible, as Odin mustering all his god-force still only managed to slighty dent a small cylinder of it. I'm pretty sure Thor's god-magic is greater than a glow-stick.

It is susceptible to molecular rearrangement via powerful forces; ligthsabres don't do this. Edit: Fanboy-free lightsabres don't do this.

Primary no, but do we ever see primary in the movies?

Secondary a "glowstick (which can cut through armor that can withstand gigaton power blasts)" probably after a while.

Impediment
Well, looking through my resources, it says that "the lightsaber can cut through anything, except another lightsaber and a few specific alloys, such as cortosis".

Since adamantium isn't in the SW Universe.......we could say that it would cut through it.

But, maybe adamantium has the properties of those alloys, so, who knows?

Some say that the lightsaber burns as hot as our Sun. Wolvie has been, literally, burned up by the sun and all that remained is his adamantium skeleton for it to regrow from scratch.

Then again, these are not on screen feats. Ha!

Robtard
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Primary no, but do we ever see primary in the movies?

Secondary a "glowstick (which can cut through armor that can withstand gigaton power blasts)" probably after a while.

Wolverine has primary.

That was a joke. Point still stands, if we're bringing in non-movie paraphernalia.

Hewhoknowsall
Couldn't a lightsaber eventually, after countless years, possibly centuries or more, melt a block of primary adamantium? I mean, assuming that the energy supplying the lightsaber doesn't run out, of course. A lightsaber BLADE has never, to my knowledge, been literally destroyed by any force (cortosis simply temporarily disables it due to its properties) so wouldn't it just keep on burning it until eventually it makes way?

Robtard
If the lightsabre can't go over adamantium's melting point, then no, it'd just make it hot.

edit: No, I don't know what the melting point for adamantium is, it might not have one, being "virtullay indestructible."

Impediment
r5ubWWqK0Sc

At 5:45, Qui Gon slices through the blast doors. More doors close, and the saber does less cutting. Qui Gon lets the saber simply melt the metal.

Just how dense is adamantium, anyway?

Robtard
SW ships get destroyed all the time, explosions and such.

You really don't the blast doors have a "virtually indestructible" value to them?

Rogue Jedi
So if there is a block of solid adamantium on the ground, and a Jedi ignites his saber and places the blade on it, leaves it there, does it melt? If not right away, then after a while?

Impediment

You really don't the blast doors have a "virtually indestructible" value to them?

No, no, no. I meant this as kind've a visual aid, if you will. Like if this particular alloy is far less than adamantium, then could a saber, in fact, slice through?

Hewhoknowsall

They can withstand multiple blasts with firepower equivalent to millions of atomic bombs.

Yeah, and a lightsaber still cut through it, albeit with difficulty...

Robtard
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
They can withstand multiple blasts with firepower equivalent to millions of atomic bombs.

Proof?

Also, why aren't the entire ships made of this super-duper stuff, what is it?

Hewhoknowsall
Proof?

Also, why aren't the entire ships made of this super-duper stuff, what is it?

Star Wars Episode II Incredible Cross-Sections (SW2ICS)

According to this (unofficial) Star Wars site (that gets numbers directly from the above):

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

Note the Shield heat dissipation: 70 trillion GW peak

To be honest, it hasn't been proven that a lightsaber can cut through a star destroyer's hull, however, tank armor and such have.

Also, see:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/walkers.html#atat

Robtard
Again, if we're bringing outside sources other than the films, 616 adamantium is indestructible. With the exception of molecular tampering by god-like forces, ie Thanos.

Impediment
Rob is right. 616 adamantium is nigh indestructible.

If you're going to use examples, try to stick with movie feats, please.

Rogue Jedi
But this is where it gets hazy, it is indestructible to things in THIS universe, there's nothing that compares to a lightsaber in THIS universe.

Robtard
But this is where it gets hazy, it is indestructible to things in THIS universe, there's nothing that compares to a lightsaber in THIS universe.

The sun, massive nuclear explosions, uberly powerful mutant powers.

Placidity
Again, if we're bringing outside sources other than the films, 616 adamantium is indestructible. With the exception of molecular tampering by god-like forces, ie Thanos.

Or just Magneto big grin

Robtard
Originally posted by Placidity
Or just Magneto big grin

He can manipulate it, don't think he can destroy is as Thanos has with that stupid glove.

But Magneto is also one seriously powerful mother****er.

Impediment
Technically, Thanos turned Wolvie's adamantium into spongy runner, IIRC.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
Technically, Thanos turned Wolvie's adamantium into spongy runner, IIRC.

He did so at the molecular level and he do so while being the master of time, space, soul, mind, power and reality. ie god-like.

Thanos would use a lightsabre as a toothpick.

BruceSkywalker
Thanos is a jobber big grin stick out tongue

Robtard
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Thanos is a jobber big grin stick out tongue

I don't care for the character.

EvilAngel
Does anyone else think this is like debating what happens when an unstoppable force hits an unmovable object?

Films only, nothing has stopped a saber.
Films only, nothing has damaged adamantium.

BruceSkywalker
I don't care for the character.

i don't much either

Impediment
Does anyone else think this is like debating what happens when an unstoppable force hits an unmovable object?

Agreed.

Personally, I declare it as an impasse.

Quincy
Okay so, people here who are saying that Adamantium is resistant to a lightsaber's blade are saying that they would simply clash against each other?

Placidity

Not exactly true. In Origins, which I do suggest we ignore, shows an adamantium bullet penetrating Wolverine's skull.

Impediment
Originally posted by Quincy
Okay so, people here who are saying that Adamantium is resistant to a lightsaber's blade are saying that they would simply clash against each other?

Do we have a movie feat that could otherwise prove so? I doubt it.

EvilAngel
Agreed.

I would have to agree.

Everyone will have there own opinion but.....

Placidity
Agreed.

I think whether or not that is true, we should just settle on that.

It would help a lot in future topics, since past topics have shown that most of the time is actually debating whether LS>ADM.

Robtard

Said unstoppable force would go around said unmovable object, ergo, lightsabres pass through adamantium without harming it. I WIN THE THREAD!

Placidity
Wut

Impediment
Said unstoppable force would go around said unmovable object, ergo, lightsabres pass through adamantium without harming it. I WIN THE THREAD!

Bite my tush. eek!

EvilAngel
Said unstoppable force would go around said unmovable object, ergo, lightsabres pass through adamantium without harming it. I WIN THE THREAD! Sorry it's irresistible force isn't it?

I'm kind of clumsy when it comes to remembering these things.

Robtard
Originally posted by Placidity
Wut

I won the thread, you must have missed it.

Robtard
Sorry it's irresistible force isn't it?

I'm kind of clumsy when it comes to remembering these things.

I'm an irresistible force, now get in my bed.

Impediment

Can my wife join? Provided you video tape, is all.

Robtard
Can my wife join? Provided you video tape, is all.

Everyone is welcome. No dudes.

EvilAngel

Well, i just disproved there's just a thing as irresistible force. Because this unmovable object ain't going nowhere stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
I'm an irresistible force, now get in my bed. Kinda like a horrid bowel movement?

Robtard
Kinda like a horrid bowel movement?

I don't shit my bed, but know we all know you do. That's nasty, RJ. Nasty.

Rogue Jedi
You didn't seem to mind at the time.

Impediment
Bump.

I'm currently in a debate with a friend about this topic. I want new opinions and examples, my nizzos.

Time-Immemorial
I don't shit my bed, but know we all know you do. That's nasty, RJ. Nasty.

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by jaden101

I also just don't think the lightsabre is the ultimate cutting weapon that a lot of people make it out to be.
thumb up

HulkIsHulk
Contradictory.
Emphasis on the melted.
Seems to me that you are simply making assumptions that support your bias

HulkIsHulk

No, virtually indestructible means just that, don't try and redefine it to fit were you want

thumb up

Arachnid1
Adamantium. This isn't even a debate.

relentless1
Adamantium wouldn't get cut through easily, but it would get cut through eventually

Silent Master
No, it wouldn't.

jinXed by JaNx
There is no way of answering this without it being conjecture. Although, i'm under the opinion that a lightsaber could eventually cut through adamantium but it would take several strikes/blows.

juggerman
Light saber wins probably

Darth Thor
Probably just clash against each other the way 2 Lightsabers do.

juggerman
Super heated adamantium cut thru Wolverine's claws like butter. I would think with the lightsaber being super hot that it should cut thru too.

Darkstorm Zero
I'm going to say this. If Adamantium has a melting point (it does, otherwise it could not exist in liquid form, even if it is made in that state) then eventually, a superheated plasma blade is going to breach it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.