Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
What story elements you enjoy and videogames and what story element or cliche is a turn off to you?

for example I like supernatural modern setting story element and I hate generic white hair heroes/villians unless it actually serves a purpose.

ArtificialGlory
I like your generic sci-fi setting(think Mass Effect, Starcraft) and I definitely don't mind the good old fashioned fantasy setting(think Warcraft).

I absolutely loathe post-apocalyptic/retro-futuristic/"Mad Max" kind of settings. Borderlands is a notable exception to this, but that's probably because of heavy underlying sci-fi elements.

I generally don't mind the tropes and cliches that obviously come with these genres.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that I, for some reason, really enjoy the Precursor trope/cliche. Or simply some kind of a highly advanced race existing inside a game's universe that doesn't really show itself and/or is shrouded in mystery for the most part.

Hewhoknowsall
Love Sci Fi setting, but preferably one that isn't cheesy but is at least realistic and has advanced-but-not-cheesy tech (like Mass Effect).

I like fantasy settings, although they can get generic/repetitive.

I love modern RPG settings when they're done right, those are unusual and yet the modern world has tons of content.

Kazenji
Games where you start off with all your powers and then you lose them and then have to gain them all back and usually the best attack only get to use right near the end.

Spartan005
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Love Sci Fi setting, but preferably one that isn't cheesy but is at least realistic and has advanced-but-not-cheesy tech (like Mass Effect).

I love modern RPG settings when they're done right, those are unusual and yet the modern world has tons of content.

Mass effect is cheesy though... it looks identical to star trek or any 70s sci fi film.

By the way, whats a clitch?

jinXed by JaNx
When done well i actually enjoy the interactive quicktime events during cutscenes. When it's done right it can give a sense of interactivity where there usually isnt any and it gives a rewarding rush. When it's done wrong, however, it's just monotonous. There is nothing worse than having to sit through the same ten minute cutscene just because you mistimed pressing a button.

I hate when games make you sit through cutscenes, regardless of how many times you completed the game. I also HATE having to sit through the goddamn credits after finishing a game just so i can save and exit the game.

As far as story lines, i enjoy the classic white hat and black hat scenario. Even though i've done it countless times. I love building my up my character so that i can avenge my murdered family/people.

Bladewind
I really love the "your friend is a traitor" cliche. But only if you really have no idea they are. You're going to die whatever you do so let it be a good death in the style of "300" is one my favorite situations in games too.
I'm fine with every setting that doesn't include too many zombies or n****. (Although I prefer fantasy and sci-fi)

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Spartan005
Mass effect is cheesy though... it looks identical to star trek or any 70s sci fi film.

By the way, whats a clitch?

Not really, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9

Darth Jello
This is going waaaay back to before medieval RPGs having a scifi element (and that becoming a cliche) but I like the storyline in Faxanadu and how it kind of mirrors the X-Files. Plus it's like, the first medieval/Teutonic RPG with a plot that ultimately turns out to be alien invasion.

For those who haven't played this underrated game, the plot (which is a side story to the Xanadu/Dragon Slayer series) starts with you as an elf returning to your home town, the elf capital at the bottom of the world tree. The whole place has gone to hell as the water stops flowing and monsters attack everything. The setting seems like a simple war between elves and dwarves since everyone calls the monsters "dwarves". About halfway through the game, you find out that in actuality, the chaos was started by a meteorite that hit the world tree and contained an alien creature called the Evil One who started spreading a poison made from the dissolved meteorite that caused elves and the world tree to die while mutating the dwarves into monsters and putting them under his mental control. The game then turns its focus to stopping the spread of the poison, getting the Dragon Slayer sword from the Dwarf King whose like, the last sane dwarf left and then killing the alien to stop a full scale invasion.

ArtificialGlory
Darth, Might and Magic predates Faxanadu. Just saying.

MooCowofJustice
Hate: Anti-heroism, man vs demons, abnormally large weaponry (swords, lances, hammers).

Juk3n
Hate: sorry to say, JRPG cliches of barely dressed Girly girls, or in FF case Lady Boys, dancing around with weapons twice the size of themselves.

I mean what do our developers across the pond have against body armor? I dont give a flying monkey about a panty shot of the lead girl in FF13Billionfiftyhundred. But if i saw some cool looking body armor like ie: N7 customizable in ME2, i might consider joining the FF revolution.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Juk3n
Hate: sorry to say, JRPG cliches of barely dressed Girly girls, or in FF case Lady Boys, dancing around with weapons twice the size of themselves.

I mean what do our developers across the pond have against body armor? I dont give a flying monkey about a panty shot of the lead girl in FF13Billionfiftyhundred. But if i saw some cool looking body armor like ie: N7 customizable in ME2, i might consider joining the FF revolution.

Don't forget the hair.

MooCowofJustice
Hah, the hair. Japanese hair gel must be spit from God or something.

FinalAnswer
I love symbology and themes that make you think. A prime example would be the Marathon series.

I hate the overuse of villains turning into giant mutants, something which a particular series (You all know what I'm talking about) overuses.

Peach

Lack of armor did not originate in JRPGs and pre-dates video games entirely, for the most part...go look at some old Dungeons and Dragons books.

Personally, I don't care how cliche it can get, I love fantasy settings. Give me swords and magic and I'm a happy girl.

Ms.Marvel
pretty much everything that metal gear solid is famous for i hate in video games...

AsbestosFlaygon
Hate:
Star Trek-like/LotR-like background and designs, generic zombie/virus infestation storylines, most FPSs and MMORPGs

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Hate: Anti-heroism, man vs demons, abnormally large weaponry (swords, lances, hammers).

God of War?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
God of War?

Or Warcraft :P

MooCowofJustice
Devil May Cry, JRPGs, and a lot fall into those categories.

Juk3n
Originally posted by Peach
Lack of armor did not originate in JRPGs and pre-dates video games entirely, for the most part...go look at some old Dungeons and Dragons books.

i didnt say it originated in Japan, but it has been the norm in the most prominent console rpg series since time began. The japanese developers have adopted the no armor look - wherever it may have originated - and now we have girls in mini skirts with pink hair and weapons 80 metres tall.

Or a white haired lady boy with a gunsword
blonde haired lady boy with HUGE planet killing sword
Girl with chain sword thing
Guy with chest out trench coat who punches steel (or w/e ) robots
All fighting for there life, all with no visable armor, but with waistcoates with the buttons undone.... cliche cliche cliche.

ArtificialGlory
i didnt say it originated in Japan, but it has been the norm in the most prominent console rpg series since time began. The japanese developers have adopted the no armor look - wherever it may have originated - and now we have girls in mini skirts with pink hair and weapons 80 metres tall.

All fighting for there life, all with no visable armor, but with waistcoates with the buttons undone.... cliche cliche cliche.

Japanese games(especially JRPGs) tend to have this sickening fascination with shallow aesthetics. puke

AsbestosFlaygon

Not all the time though.

Samus Aran of Metroid is heavy armored, and the main character of Demon's Souls is fully clad in knight armor.

MadMel
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

I love modern RPG settings when they're done right, those are unusual and yet the modern world has tons of content. this, and also a superhero setting big grin

Juk3n
Not all the time though.

Samus Aran of Metroid is heavy armored, and the main character of Demon's Souls is fully clad in knight armor.

I was referring to the prominent linear JRPG'S, Tales/FF mainly.

Sin_Volvagia
Like: Main badguy having a mutant second/third form, explosive barrels, optional collect-a-thons, bullet-time mode, final boss is a god, double jump

Hate: Girly-boys, little girls with annoying voices, ridiculous PIS moments, Health regeneration, someone coming back from the dead with no reason or PIS reason (Dracula is an exception), easy-to-beat final bosses, missions where you gotta protect weaklings/idiots, giant boobs

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
Like: Main badguy having a mutant second/third form, explosive barrels, optional collect-a-thons, bullet-time mode, final boss is a god, double jump

Hate: Girly-boys, little girls with annoying voices, ridiculous PIS moments, Health regeneration, someone coming back from the dead with no reason or PIS reason (Dracula is an exception), easy-to-beat final bosses, missions where you gotta protect weaklings/idiots, giant boobs
WTF man? You hate giant bewbz? Are you ghey or wut?

I luv bewbz. I likes Soul Calibur 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 droolio groping Ayane's bewbz is the best in Sigma 2

Phanteros
Hate: Super soldiers especially in FPS

Phanteros
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Hate: Anti-heroism, man vs demons, abnormally large weaponry (swords, lances, hammers). you realize most medieval weapons are considerably large? I thought you like snake?

Darth Jello
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Darth, Might and Magic predates Faxanadu. Just saying. Never played it. Did the plot revolve around alien invasion?

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by Phanteros
you realize most medieval weapons are considerably large? I thought you like snake?

You misunderstand. Abnormally large weaponry are things like Cloud's sword, or Sephiroth's sword.

And what snake? I don't know of any characters named snake I like.

Sin_Volvagia

I luv bewbz. I likes Soul Calibur 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 droolio groping Ayane's bewbz is the best in Sigma 2

I should've said too many characters with giant boobs. I don't mind Rachel or SC1 Ivy having it but if we're giving everyone that, it's ridiculous. Lady's breasts were fine; no need to give her breast enhancements. Ivy's **** were big enough in the beginning and now they're not realistic (same with Taki).

Say what you want but I don't jack off to imaginary characters and I don't like fake **** in real life.

And I agree about Ayane.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Never played it. Did the plot revolve around alien invasion?

Not exactly(not the first game, at least). It starts out in a seemingly typical medieval fantasy setting with monsters, wizards, etc., but then you find a crashed spaceship. More sci-fi elements become unveiled as you go.

Spartan005
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Not really, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9

I was making fun of the title, but thanks

dadudemon
I don't like events in games that require you to play them 50+ times to beat them...and you only beat them because of luck, not skill.

Example: Final Boss in Mech Assault 2. No matter how many times I go back and try to beat the final boss, it takes tons of tries.

I love stories that keep you interested in playing, regardless of graphics.

Example: KOTOR.

I hate games with stupid plots that are retardedly unrealistic in a setting that TRIES to be realistic.

Example: MW2.

I love games that have beautiful art/landscapes/environments.

Example: Fable 2.

lol

My thoughts exactly.

jinXed by JaNx
This is going waaaay back to before medieval RPGs having a scifi element (and that becoming a cliche) but I like the storyline in Faxanadu and how it kind of mirrors the X-Files. Plus it's like, the first medieval/Teutonic RPG with a plot that ultimately turns out to be alien invasion.

For those who haven't played this underrated game, the plot (which is a side story to the Xanadu/Dragon Slayer series) starts with you as an elf returning to your home town, the elf capital at the bottom of the world tree. The whole place has gone to hell as the water stops flowing and monsters attack everything. The setting seems like a simple war between elves and dwarves since everyone calls the monsters "dwarves". About halfway through the game, you find out that in actuality, the chaos was started by a meteorite that hit the world tree and contained an alien creature called the Evil One who started spreading a poison made from the dissolved meteorite that caused elves and the world tree to die while mutating the dwarves into monsters and putting them under his mental control. The game then turns its focus to stopping the spread of the poison, getting the Dragon Slayer sword from the Dwarf King whose like, the last sane dwarf left and then killing the alien to stop a full scale invasion.

Holy shit, when is this movie or video game going to be made again anew?

Darth Jello
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Holy shit, when is this movie or video game going to be made again anew? If you have an NES, pick it up used for 5 bucks. I also think it would be worth petitioning Falcom to release it on the virtual console and maybe do a remake for wiiware. It was released about 8 years before but again, the plot is weirdly similar to the "truth" in the X-Files.

One interesting thing I forgot to mention that's really cool is the way the shape of the dwarves progresses. For the first two sections of the game, they look like monsters, animals, and bizarre creatures with the occasional unaltered dwarf fighting with bayonettes and shields. Closer to the end, the enemies start looking more and more like aliens, including one that looks like a xenomorph from aliens with a sword and shield and one that looks like a grey alien wearing plate armor and swinging a mace around.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/faxanadu/enemies/bswordman.gif

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/faxanadu/enemies/ymaceman.gif

The graphics are awesome too, using really dull, emotive color schemes abd cool (for 8-bit) fog and smoke effects that cover the whole screen.

The music is incredible too.

Unassuming Hero
Originally posted by dadudemon
I love stories that keep you interested in playing, regardless of graphics.

Example: KOTOR.

But not a great one .

ArtificialGlory
If you have an NES, pick it up used for 5 bucks. I also think it would be worth petitioning Falcom to release it on the virtual console and maybe do a remake for wiiware. It was released about 8 years before but again, the plot is weirdly similar to the "truth" in the X-Files.

One interesting thing I forgot to mention that's really cool is the way the shape of the dwarves progresses. For the first two sections of the game, they look like monsters, animals, and bizarre creatures with the occasional unaltered dwarf fighting with bayonettes and shields. Closer to the end, the enemies start looking more and more like aliens, including one that looks like a xenomorph from aliens with a sword and shield and one that looks like a grey alien wearing plate armor and swinging a mace around.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/faxanadu/enemies/bswordman.gif

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/faxanadu/enemies/ymaceman.gif

The graphics are awesome too, using really dull, emotive color schemes abd cool (for 8-bit) fog and smoke effects that cover the whole screen.

The music is incredible too.

That's some pretty cool stuff.

Phanteros
Bumping this with new information.

Hate: Chosen ones in general and "power of the heart/friendship"

Looking at you KH.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Phanteros

Hate: Chosen ones in general and "power of the heart/friendship"

Looking at you KH.

Yea, you can say that again. I find it supremely irritating.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.