2009 Game of the Year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Which of these videogames will be the best one of 2009?

Neo Darkhalen
No Boarderlands? Brutal Legand? Dragons age? Mario and Luigi? Proffesor Layton? Scribblenaughts? Street Fighter IV? Tekken 6? etc etc.

Poor form Nemisis, poor form indeed.

Zack Fair
Uncharted 2.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
No Boarderlands? Brutal Legand? Dragons age? Mario and Luigi? Proffesor Layton? Scribblenaughts? Street Fighter IV? Tekken 6? etc etc.

Poor form Nemisis, poor form indeed.

Well...Some of those games didn't shout "Game of the Year."

Neo Darkhalen
Eh I'll go with L4D2 since it's Valve and L4D.

Morridini
Think it's gotta be between Assassins 2 and Uncharted 2, voting for the one I look the most forward to, Assassins.

ArtificialGlory
Where's Borderlands and Dragon Age? Meh.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Where's Borderlands and Dragon Age? Meh.

Go complain to the moderators since they're the ones who made the rule for only ten things in the poll mad

NemeBro
You include ODST, RE5, and the GTA expansions, but no Borderlands?

GTFO.

Borderlands wins.

Peach
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Go complain to the moderators since they're the ones who made the rule for only ten things in the poll mad

We didn't make that rule. However, I'll add in Borderlands and Dragon Age.

Me, I'm voting for Assassin's Creed, as it's one of the very few games to come out this year that I'm actually excited for.

S_D_J
No Batman: Arkham Asylum?
miffed

there's ODST, but no Killzone 2?

miffed

Zack Fair
Originally posted by S_D_J
miffed

there's ODST, but no Killzone 2?

miffed

PS3 fails.

Yeah right.

Killzone 2 deserves to be on the list. AA too.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Zack Fair
PS3 fails.

Yeah right.

Killzone 2 deserves to be on the list. AA too.

both of them!

GoW C and GTAIV:EfLC, not so much

MooCowofJustice
I putting my faith in AC2. A second guess for me would have to go to Uncharted 2.

Quincy
Arkham Asylum

The Nuul
Anyone of them can be it but that God awful Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 piece of shit.

Borderlands but to be fair, thats the only one I have played on that list.

Spartan005
Originally posted by The Nuul
Anyone of them can be it but that God awful Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 piece of shit.

You're an idiot.

Moving on I think it's a toss up between Modern Warfare and Unchartered 2.

Although the GTA expansion pack is a ridiculously good value for 40 bucks. I played through Lost and damned which took around 10 hours... thats 4 more than Halo 3 ODST alone. Plus Gay Tony is supposed to be another 10 hours of gameplay

NemeBro
Why is he an idiot? Because he recognises Call of Duty is a mediocre gaming series?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Spartan005
Although the GTA expansion pack is a ridiculously good value for 40 bucks. I played through Lost and damned which took around 10 hours... thats 4 more than Halo 3 ODST alone. Plus Gay Tony is supposed to be another 10 hours of gameplay

Isn't it great that Rockstar is actually more smart than Bungie and not trying to be a rip off artist?

Morridini
Originally posted by NemeBro
Why is he an idiot? Because he recognises Call of Duty is a mediocre gaming series?

The series might be, but the Modern Warfare is not, even if you don't like it it's no denying it is a good game. And I too also would clasify him as a moron based on that post.

Nemesis X
I agree. You gotta be a moron if you don't like Modern Warfare.

Morridini
That's not at all what I was saying...

Smasandian
Well did call him a moron because he though COD4 was garbage.

It's his point and he/she can have it.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
Well did call him a moron because he though COD4 was garbage.

It's his point and he/she can have it.

We're talking about a game that made more Pre-Orders than Halo 3. How can you not like this game?

Zack Fair
Isn't it great that Rockstar is actually more smart than Bungie and not trying to be a rip off artist?

More like Microsoft flexing their muscles.

---

Dude...how does having more pre-orders than Halo 3 make people like the game?

I'd like to know how many pre-orders were specific to Xbox360.

WickedDynamite
Modern Warfare 2 will blow the shit out of Uncharted and Assassin Creed 2.....both are overblown pieces of shit.

Meh, I'm picking Left 4 Dead GOTY.

Zack Fair
dur

WickedDynamite
Mark my words!

Peach
Originally posted by Zack Fair
More like Microsoft flexing their muscles.

---

Dude...how does having more pre-orders than Halo 3 make people like the game?

I'd like to know how many pre-orders were specific to Xbox360.

Probably about 75% of the MW2 preorders were for the 360. Possibly more.

I know that at my store, as of opening Saturday morning, we had some 375 preorders for MW2. About 300 of them were for the 360. We probably wound up well over 400 by this afternoon, if the trends of the past week were anything to go by.

Morridini
We're talking about a game that made more Pre-Orders than Halo 3. How can you not like this game?

A game being good and people liking it doesn't necesarily go together, plenty of games about I don't like that are considered good (CS).

Spartan005

No, because he hasn't played it yet.

-Pr-
So far? Batman Arkham Asylum is the best imo.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by -Pr-

Wait till Assassins Creed II comes out and you'll change your mind.

Demonic Phoenix
Which of these videogames will be the best one of 2009?

U2, easily. AC2 sounds great, but it's too soon to tell if it'll be the best game. I just hope it doesn't get as repetitive as AC did.

L4D2, Borderlands, and R&C come close imo. R&C didn't introduce much, but most of the new factors, in particular the Clank time Puzzles, were excellent. Not to mention, teh new weapon of mass destruction, BURPING!!!

Gooogle Bot
Modern Warfare 2 , Uncharted 2 and possibly AC2 are the big contenders of the bunch. L4D2, borderlands, H3 ODST are a also contenders but I doubt anyone of them will get it.

IDK MW2 and AC2 havent been released so it's a bit hard to predict this early.

S_D_J
Originally posted by The Nuul

Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Modern Warfare 2 will blow the shit out of Uncharted and Assassin Creed 2.....both are overblown pieces of shit.

Meh, I'm picking Left 4 Dead GOTY.

I'm having a hard time seeing the difference in these two posts

they are almost the same:

only played one of the games (if so) and never played one/any of the others

dur

....yet the first one got all the heat

I demand Batman: AA and Killzone 2 to be added to this poll!
raver

Alpha Centauri
What's all this "There's no denying it's good even if you don't like it." nonsense?

If you dislike it, then you don't think it's good. Stop acting like games are factually good.

Factually well done, maybe. Not a factually good game.

I prefer to judge based on what I've played, that's me though.

Giving Assassin's Creed 2 the game of the year before it's even out is a bit ridiculous.

Wait till Assassins Creed II comes out and you'll change your mind.

Assassin's Creed 2 is Assassin's Creed one with more moves.

It couldn't dream of being on par with Arkham Asylum. Not many games are, never mind in 2009.

-AC

Demonic Phoenix

I sense comic bias...

~ I completely forgot about Batman:AA. That game was better than Borderlands for me yes

Alpha Centauri
It can't be comic bias.

I prefer Marvel, but I'm not rating Ultimate Alliance 2 as the best (Though more fun that I imagined).

-AC

-Pr-
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
I sense comic bias...

~ I completely forgot about Batman:AA. That game was better than Borderlands for me yes

i'm a superman fan when it comes to dc, and prefer nightwing to batman.

imagine how sick i feel.

also, i havent had the opportunity to play borderlands.

i've no idea why ODST or the GTA games are on the list though.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It can't be comic bias.

I prefer Marvel, but I'm not rating Ultimate Alliance 2 as the best (Though more fun that I imagined).

-AC

Would it have helped if I had put (stick out tongue) after the comic bias statement? I didn't find it necessary tbh. I know -Pr- likes Superman more than Batman.
That said, AA was fantastic. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, excellent. Always been a sucker for Stealth-based games.

i'm a superman fan when it comes to dc, and prefer nightwing to batman.

imagine how sick i feel.

also, i havent had the opportunity to play borderlands.

i've no idea why ODST or the GTA games are on the list though.

Lookie up for reply to comic bias statement.

If you like FPS games and Sci-fi elements, you can't really go wrong with Borderlands.

It's all based on the TC's opinions and knowledge. Two choices were put in by Lana iirc.
If it were up to me, I'd remove ODST, GTA:LC, RE5 (haven't played or read reviews) & GoW:Collection as it is a compilation of the 2 PS2 GoW games. Had CoO been included, it would have been a friggin steal at $40 and a contender for 2009 Game of the Year stick out tongue.

Scythe
My vote goes to Batman: AA.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Scythe

Your vote is obsol33t as Batman: AA is not on the poll.

Scythe
Your vote is obsol33t as Batman: AA is not on the poll.

IT COUNTS IN MY NOODLE!!!

-Pr-
Would it have helped if I had put (stick out tongue) after the comic bias statement? I didn't find it necessary tbh. I know -Pr- likes Superman more than Batman.
That said, AA was fantastic. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, excellent. Always been a sucker for Stealth-based games.

Lookie up for reply to comic bias statement.

If you like FPS games and Sci-fi elements, you can't really go wrong with Borderlands.

It's all based on the TC's opinions and knowledge. Two choices were put in by Lana iirc.
If it were up to me, I'd remove ODST, GTA:LC, RE5 (haven't played or read reviews) & GoW:Collection as it is a compilation of the 2 PS2 GoW games. Had CoO been included, it would have been a friggin steal at $40 and a contender for 2009 Game of the Year stick out tongue.

i knew you weren't serious lol...

My brother back in ireland has borderlands, and loves it to death. so does one of my coworkers. RE5 is awesome. it really is.

i agree about removing god of war...

First_Tsurugi06
miffed

Originally posted by Quincy
Arkham Asylum

Originally posted by Scythe

Neo Darkhalen
I can't belive I missed out Arkham Asylum, retract my L4D2 statement, and put another one forward for Arkham. That game is easily the best game to come out this year.

Quincy
AA was great. Everyone was so excited and pleased with it. I think it being awesome was such a relief to batman fans.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Quincy
AA was great. Everyone was so excited and pleased with it. I think it being awesome was such a relief to batman fans.

Given the reputation of Batman games I would say so.

S_D_J

I demand Batman: AA and Killzone 2 to be added to this poll!
raver

Seriously!

This poll is FAIL if they are not added

Peach
This is the last of the editing I'm doing to the poll stick out tongue

Replaced GoW Collection (because really, a re-release of two old games has no place on any GOTY list) with Batman, and ODST (because we all know it wasn't worth paying $60 for) with Killzone.

However, I still vote for Assassin's Creed stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Mine goes to Batman.

-AC

Spartan005
Originally posted by Peach
This is the last of the editing I'm doing to the poll stick out tongue

Replaced GoW Collection (because really, a re-release of two old games has no place on any GOTY list) with Batman, and ODST (because we all know it wasn't worth paying $60 for) with Killzone.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14281102/call-of-duty-6/videos/mw2_specops_110609.html

Modern Warfare 2 takes less than 5 hours to complete, while Halo ODST took 6. So if anything you should replace Modern Warfare with killzone.

just kidding.

but no really.

S_D_J
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14281102/call-of-duty-6/videos/mw2_specops_110609.html

Modern Warfare 2 takes less than 5 hours to complete, while Halo ODST took 6. So if anything you should replace Modern Warfare with killzone.

just kidding.

but no really.

but you got Spec Ops on top of Multiplayer... what does ODST have? 131

just kidding

Alpha Centauri
It has Halo in the title, he obviously doesn't want it removed.

-AC

BackFire
For me so far it's Street Fighter IV.

Though from what I've heard, the 'official' GOTY will likely go to Uncharted 2.

NemeBro
Originally posted by BackFire
Though from what I've heard, the 'official' GOTY will likely go to Uncharted 2. This is probably true. So far I have yet to hear a bad word about the game.

Sin_Volvagia
I predict Uncharted 2. I wish I could play it and its prequel but I'm saving my money for GoW3, Bayonetta, FFXIII, and Metroid OM.

WickedDynamite
If Uncharted 2 gets GOTY is out simple pity for the PS3. Quite honestly I would be suspicious and I would go as far as saying..."I smell a rat"

But enough conspiracies.

A worthy nominations EVERYONE forgot was

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Give some love to the DS. love

S_D_J
Uncharted 2 seems more likely to get GOTY... though Batman AA it is a good contender... minor some nuisances

though I'm keeping an eye out for AC2

A worthy nominations EVERYONE forgot was

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Give some love to the DS. love

"I smell a rat"

dur

Spartan005
It has Halo in the title, he obviously doesn't want it removed.

-AC

I think it's a toss up between Modern Warfare and Unchartered 2.

I'm not that much of a fanboy

Alpha Centauri
Assassin's Creed 2 has as many votes as Arkham Asylum.

Hype at work for the worst.

-AC

BoratBorat
Dragon age for me.

Demonic Phoenix
i knew you weren't serious lol...

My brother back in ireland has borderlands, and loves it to death. so does one of my coworkers. RE5 is awesome. it really is.

i agree about removing god of war...

See, RE5 is awesome, yet I did not know about it. So give the guy a break on his choices. At least Lana was kind enough to edit the poll (HINT HINT: DO MOAR EDITS)

Because it's a compilation right? If you hate the series as a whole, I take offense at that stick out tongue.

Morridini

-AC

Arkham Asylum was probably a very good game, but because of it's comic setting I think it won't ever be in the running fo being Game of the Year, but looking at everything AC2 is showing in all the previews, it might very well be.

WickedDynamite
Uncharted 2 seems more likely to get GOTY... though Batman AA it is a good contender... minor some nuisances

though I'm keeping an eye out for AC2

"I smell a rat"

dur

Shut up! stick out tongue

-Pr-
See, RE5 is awesome, yet I did not know about it. So give the guy a break on his choices. At least Lana was kind enough to edit the poll (HINT HINT: DO MOAR EDITS)

Because it's a compilation right? If you hate the series as a whole, I take offense at that stick out tongue.

no, i love god of war. but it's not a new game, so i don't think they can be counted until the new one comes out.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Morridini
Arkham Asylum was probably a very good game, but because of it's comic setting I think it won't ever be in the running fo being Game of the Year, but looking at everything AC2 is showing in all the previews, it might very well be.

It showed gameplay identical to one, but with new moves.

Arkham Asylum was a massively immersive, and well-varied experience. Not "Run here, do that, then do the same in a similarly designed town.".

-AC

Demonic Phoenix
no, i love god of war. but it's not a new game, so i don't think they can be counted until the new one comes out.

Good good, otherwise, with all due respect, Imma open a can of whoop*** on you.

Looking forward to GoW3? If it's as good as the other two, it'll definitely be a contender for Game of the Year ('10)

-Pr-
Good good, otherwise, with all due respect, Imma open a can of whoop*** on you.

Looking forward to GoW3? If it's as good as the other two, it'll definitely be a contender for Game of the Year ('10)

laughing out loud

if i had a ps3, i would be. i may be buying a console in the future, and ps3 is more than likely going to be my choice due to the psn downloads.

not any time soon though...

AsbestosFlaygon
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves >>> the rest of the shit

Peach

-AC

Oh, please. People can't look forward to a game that by all rights looks like it'll be great without it being 'overhype'?

I'd rather play AC than Batman (and what I've played of that game did not hugely impress me), that's for certain.

Quincy
I voted before AA was put on the list.

So there is at least one more for Bats.

Superherovandal
Oh, please. People can't look forward to a game that by all rights looks like it'll be great without it being 'overhype'?

I'd rather play AC than Batman (and what I've played of that game did not hugely impress me), that's for certain.
well it kinda is overhype because its being called game of the year w/o it having come out yet. That is almost the definition of overhype.

Quincy
Isn't that like the definition?

Peach
Originally posted by Superherovandal
well it kinda is overhype because its being called game of the year w/o it having come out yet. That is almost the definition of overhype.

Just about every big game that ever gets released is called the game of the year before it even is released. Batman got that but I'm sure no one ever accused that game of being overhyped.

I've already stated that I voted for it simply because it's the only game released this year - besides Sims 3 - that I've actually been excited about and have been looking forward to. This year has been disappointing for me, in terms of what I want to play.

Alpha Centauri

I never once said that. Looking forward to a game on the grounds that it looks great, and saying it will be the best game out of 365 days of gaming releases, is hype.

That's fine, you like the Assassin's Creed games. I thought the first one was good. This isn't a "What You'd Rather Play?" poll, though.

It's "Game of the Year". To suggest

If you'd decided without playing, that's hype. Overhyping based on the hype. There's obviously no way it's going to disappoint you on that front, and because it's so close to the original that loving that would almost certainly guarantee loving 2.

Although, seeing as it's the only game released this year that you're interested in, obviously it will win, and that's fine.

My point wasn't "Peach is overhyping it.", my point was that people who do that are the ones overhyping games. If it happened to Batman, then that was someone overhyping it at the time. If it justifies the hype, then fine. Though my point is also that there's an element of already having decided.

-AC

Weltall
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Peach
I never once said that. Looking forward to a game on the grounds that it looks great, and saying it will be the best game out of 365 days of gaming releases, is hype.

That's fine, you like the Assassin's Creed games. I thought the first one was good. This isn't a "What You'd Rather Play?" poll, though.

It's "Game of the Year". To suggest

If you'd decided without playing, that's hype. Overhyping based on the hype. There's obviously no way it's going to disappoint you on that front, and because it's so close to the original that loving that would almost certainly guarantee loving 2.

Although, seeing as it's the only game released this year that you're interested in, obviously it will win, and that's fine.

My point wasn't "Peach is overhyping it.", my point was that people who do that are the ones overhyping games. If it happened to Batman, then that was someone overhyping it at the time. If it justifies the hype, then fine. Though my point is also that there's an element of already having decided.

-AC

And I don't necessarily agree that someone thinking that a game can be their best of the year before it's out is overhyping it.

Also I must wonder if you've been following ACII that much, because what they've been showing of it, it appears they've changed quite a bit from the first stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
(auto quote)[/quickquote

I just hope it's good.

If it works and it's fun I'll pick it up, I did not care for the original at all but eh, never liked gears 1 but I did enjoy 2 so i'm always open that a sequel can impress me and change my views on a series.

Ms.Marvel
modern warfare 2!

NemeBro
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
modern warfare 2! Overrated garbage for the win!

Ms.Marvel
leave uncharted 2 out of this!

NemeBro
Modern Warfare and its sequel...In fact, World At War too, are overrated piles of garbage who serve as a mediocre experience at best.

Neo Darkhalen
Modern Warfare and its sequel...In fact, World At War too, are overrated piles of garbage who serve as a mediocre experience at best.

This.

Ms.Marvel

nope mow2 is a flawless game. all the games you like are overrated piles of garbage.schmoll

Nemesis X

I can't read what you're trying to say. Everything in your post is full of bullcrap.

Neo Darkhalen
nope mow2 is a flawless game. all the games you like are overrated piles of garbage.schmoll

The irony in that statement is immense.

NemeBro
nope mow2 is a flawless game. all the games you like are overrated piles of garbage.schmoll Here is this bad taste thing I was talking about.

Impediment
Arkham Asylum is awesome.

Even more awesome, dare I say, than Modern Warfare 2?

Oh, yes.

AA is THE greatest superhero game of all time.

Ridley_Prime
Overrated this, overrated that...

Spartan005

I realize that liking or disliking something all comes down to opinion HOWEVER, in the case of the Call of Duty games the rules change.

Here's a list of statements which may further you're understanding of the concept.

Modern Warfare is an excellent game: FACT
World at War is an excellent game: FACT
The Call of Duty series is not overrated: FACT
You are a dumbass: FACT

NemeBro
I realize that liking or disliking something all comes down to opinion HOWEVER, in the case of the Call of Duty games the rules change.

Here's a list of statements which may further you're understanding of the concept.

You are a dumbass: FACT Reported.

Oh really? And...Why would that be?

Is it the second-rate campaign mode?

Is it the incredible realism that allows you to fire a .50 caliber Barretta while standing (For one such as you, I find it necessary to point out this is sarcasm)?

Is it the generic Multiplayer mode?

As for me being a dumbass, you would find it to your advantage to not insult those whom are you superiors.

BoratBorat
People have their opinions, personally i loved WAW more so than COD4 when it came to multiplayer.

I want to play MW2 but with a jacked up price it is holding me back.

Personally i dont care about the matchmaking but because i live in an asian country i am going to get a lagfest if i play MP.(not many in this nation even know of call of duty).

Alpha Centauri

You are a dumbass: FACT

I could have sworn you just said you aren't much of a fanboy...

Anyway, no, they don't change.

None of those are facts, and you know this, so I'm not entirely sure why you said it...very odd.

Fact is an undeniable truth existing outside of personal opinion. You've already shown it's personal opinion above, by using personal quantifiers when determining quality.

What's "excellent" comes down to what you like. If someone wants to think all those games are pieces of garbage, you can literally do nothing to prove otherwise. You can only disagree.

Hurts, probably, but it's fact.

-AC

Spartan005
Reported.

Oh really? And...Why would that be?

Is it the second-rate campaign mode?

Is it the incredible realism that allows you to fire a .50 caliber Barretta while standing (For one such as you, I find it necessary to point out this is sarcasm)?

Is it the generic Multiplayer mode?

As for me being a dumbass, you would find it to your advantage to not insult those whom are you superiors.

Is sarcasm really that difficult to understand over the internet? Honestly, this is ridiculous. It's a joke. get it? Ha

And how in god's name are you my superior? Please elaborate

Spartan005
And AC, can we just call a truce already? I get it. I'm a fanboy. thanks

S_D_J
Originally posted by Impediment
Arkham Asylum is awesome.

Even more awesome, dare I say, than Modern Warfare 2?

Oh, yes.

AA is THE greatest superhero game of all time.

This thumb up

-Pr-
Played Modern Warfare 2 today. Want to change my vote from Batman to it. It's simply that good, imo. Amazingly immersive, some brilliant levels (including the one that's offending everyone right now).

Just brilliant. Best game i've played this year.

Overdose
So none of the amazin' Fightin' Games that came out this year on in the poll...kinda sux.

Juk3n
Uncharted 2 gets my vote, half a point behind is MW2 and comfortable 3rd is reserved for Batman, still waiting for Assassins creed 2.

Honourable mention - Dragon Age, i see what you tried to do there Bioware..and i acknowledge it.

WickedDynamite
This isn't really about fanboism. If so, I would have voted for AA in the begining.

MW2 OWNS U!

Alpha Centauri
Modern Warfare 2 is overrated, but to then go spastic and call it garbage is as retarded as calling it the best game ever.

-AC

WickedDynamite
AA is overhype...plenty of great stealth games such as the Splinter Cell series. I never understood (nor care) why people react to AA as it's the only stealth game ever made.

Smasandian
I don't think it's a great stealth game but rather the game is great from a combination of graphics, atmosphere, presentation, gameplay and many other things.

As a stealth game, its good but not amazing. The game also has it's flaws to and not the most original game out there.

But in the end, I would agree if publications say Batman:AA is a game of the year. A really well made title and a ton of fun.

Neo Darkhalen
Modern Warfare 2 is overrated, but to then go spastic and call it garbage is as retarded as calling it the best game ever.

-AC

Wonder who that could be a blow to, oh yeah...apparently we can't have opinions on here that differ from yours.

But I don't hide my absolute hatred for that game and Activision for there shocking attitude recently.

Nemesis X
Arkham Asylum has more votes than Uncharted 2? Gay.

Impediment
Why is it that so many people focus merely on the "stealth" aspect of Batman: AA?

AA has so much more to offer than just the cool stealth modes during levels and the challenge maps.

The ace voice acting, the awesome graphics, the intense music score, the vast array of Bat-Gadgets, and the unique free flow combat system are ALL key items, if you ask me.

The only thing that kept this game, in my opinion, from getting a perfect 10 was the very disappointing final boss fight.

Alpha Centauri
Arkham Asylum has more votes than Uncharted 2? Gay.

Why would Uncharted 2 deserve Game of the Year?

The first one suffered from such a lack of originality and dire construction that the only thing worse would be to make a sequel.

It's a pretty game, but so what?

It's harder to make a superhero game that legitimately captures the feeling. Much less doing so of a character like Batman, where everyone who's familiar with him has a clear cut image of what he should be like.

They didn't fall into the trap of making it "open world", even though that can work. They didn't make it under the premise of "You can choose what path you take.". It was what game companies have forgotten is great about games; you buy it, it has a perfectly crafted story that doesn't leave you with a desire to go off and have "freedom", and made it memorable.

Granted, many aspects of it were so blatantly ripped from Bioshock, but it's hardly a regular occurance.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen a game like Uncharted. It's not doing anything that Tomb Raider didn't do in '95/'96, except better graphics and multiplayer. That's inexcusable.

Being pretty doesn't make a game good. If a porn star was so hot that she broke down barriers and actually because the world's first objectively, factually attractive woman...but wouldn't do oral, she wouldn't get cast in a movie.

Substance and quality over image.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Wonder who that could be a blow to, oh yeah...apparently we can't have opinions on here that differ from yours.

1) If you're still bitter about being wrong regarding Resident Evil canon, I'm sorry.

2) Never have I said such a thing, not once, and the irritating insistance that I believe such things is grating to the point of idiocy.

Especially considering that in this very thread I actually spoke out against that sort of thing.

-AC

Impediment
I have to agree with AC, here.

Uncharted, while a very pretty game, with some nice gameplay, is nothing more than a polished up, male version of Tomb Raider.

Graphics do not make a "game of the year".

MooCowofJustice
Is Uncharted 2 even out yet?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Is Uncharted 2 even out yet?

Eh? It's been out for almost a month.

Nemesis X

Uncharted, while a very pretty game, with some nice gameplay, is nothing more than a polished up, male version of Tomb Raider.

You're agreeing with a fanboy who sees nothing but bats.

Uncharted is a Tomb Raider killer. Everything in it is better than TR and is one the greatest games to ever happen on the PS3 with it's unique gameplay and action sequences.

Tell me, If Arkham Asylum had Gameboy graphics, would you still be playing it? I'm not saying graphics make a "game of the year" but what I'm saying is that graphics do matter in a game sometimes.

Impediment

Uncharted is a Tomb Raider killer. Everything in it is better than TR and is one the greatest games to ever happen on the PS3 with it's unique gameplay and action sequences.

Tell me, If Arkham Asylum had Gameboy graphics, would you still be playing it? I'm not saying graphics make a "game of the year" but what I'm saying is that graphics do matter in a game sometimes.

1) AC trumps you in every discussion you have. Period. Don't fight it.

2) Graphics are in the eye of the beholder. I shan't say any more.

3) You really ought to figure out your arguments better.

Nemesis X
1) AC trumps you in every discussion you have. Period. Don't fight it.

2) Graphics are in the eye of the beholder. I shan't say any more.

3) You really ought to figure out your arguments better.

Put a cork in it smartass.

It's not just the graphics that makes Uncharted 2 great you simpleton.

S_D_J

-AC

Sorry AC but you're wrong in that one.

It might be overrated, but to say it is GOTY is indeed valid... and most media outlet seem to agree... not retarded at all

...all in all, it's just opinion

MW is overhype...plenty of great FPS games such as the MOH, HALO... series. I never understood (nor care) why people react to MW as it's the only FPS game ever made.

wink

See how that goes both ways.
AA is more than stealth... actually AA is not stealth at all, it barely uses it, since you always sneak past enemies only to smack them from behind, it's more action oriented, with an excellent fighting mechanism. AA succeeds in making you feel like you're Batman, sneak, fright and beat the hell out of any goon... plus it makes good use of Batman detective skills (though they are very linear) and then there's the gadget, the metroid-like adventure.... and excellent story (each and every one of the villains serves the plot, they're not just shoehorn in there to fight you) Its gameplay is varied enough to feel fresh

I could say the same thing about AA... then again not

Uncharted 2 it's a very polished game, not just simple pretty graphics. It's fun to play, stunning to look at... and the multiplayer is fun... and it's got a great story, with good voice acting...

... my vote still goes to AA, though

BoratBorat

True or crysis would make "game of the century".

I just love how some ps3 fanboys try to argue uncharted 2 > crysis in graphics and how they compare uncharted 2 to crysis set at the lowest possible settings and resolutions....

Sad though that i want to play it but its ps3 exclusive.

Impediment
Put a cork in it smartass.

It's not just the graphics that makes Uncharted 2 great you simpleton.

Then, by all means, explain to me what does, professor.

S_D_J
Originally posted by BoratBorat

I just love how some ps3 fanboys try to argue uncharted 2 > crysis in graphics and how they compare uncharted 2 to crysis set at the lowest possible settings and resolutions....

Sad though that i want to play it but its ps3 exclusive.

ppl do that? blink
never seen it....

Nemesis X
Then, by all means, explain to me what does, professor.

I take it you don't have a PS3 am I right?

Nemesis X
IGN gave Arkham Asylum a 9.3 and they gave Uncharted 2 a 9.5. I think that proves which game is better.

Smasandian
I've played both Uncharted 2 and Batman AA.

Both are different games for obvious reason but both are very similar on what they accomplish.

Both are excellent crafted games with a great story (Uncharted 2 has a better story in my opinion), fantastic visuals, fantastic presentation and fantastic game play.

Uncharted 2 is a combination of Tomb Raider/Gears of War
Batman AA is a combination of Bioshock, Metriod, and Splinter Cell.

To say that Batman AA is a better game over Uncharted 2 because Uncharted 2 only has pretty graphics and generic is pretty stale. That's not the case with game.

Nemesis X

Both are different games for obvious reason but both are very similar on what they accomplish.

Both are excellent crafted games with a great story (Uncharted 2 has a better story in my opinion), fantastic visuals, fantastic presentation and fantastic game play.

To say that Batman AA is a better game over Uncharted 2 because Uncharted 2 only has pretty graphics and generic is pretty stale. That's not the case with game.

Bioshock and Splinter Cell I understand but where did you get Metroid?

S_D_J

thumb up

though Uncharted 2 triumphs over AA in a few areas, I still, somehow, liked AA a wee bit more... maybe it's the atmosphere... or just because it's freaking Batman (I'm a Superman fan, btw)

IGN gave Arkham Asylum a 9.3 and they gave Uncharted 2 a 9.5. I think that proves which game is better.

and I think Destructoid gave Uncharted 2 an eight point something.

reviews are relative opinions, not the final veredict.

Bioshock and Splinter Cell I understand but where did you get Metroid?

Exploration ... and backtracking when you get better equipment for the most part... also attempting sequence breaking. (though I think you can't break the sequence no expression)

And I think Impediment does have a PS3 no expression

BoratBorat
ppl do that? blink
never seen it.... They do on gamespot and other forums.

No it doesn't, its simply based on the reviewers opinion.

Lets use your rationale, if thats the case i'm pretty sure GTA 4 >>>> all games seeing it got a ten.

Spartan005

You're joking, right?

IGN's rating system is ridiculous. How can they rate games with a .2 difference? It's not like its a bunch of people rating it... its usually just one guy. I just don't get it.

Anyway, I played the demo for AA before knowing about all the hype and still wasn't that impressed. Seemed like standard button mashing to me with nice graphics. Anyone else?

Scythe
You're joking, right?

IGN's rating system is ridiculous. How can they rate games with a .2 difference? It's not like its a bunch of people rating it... its usually just one guy. I just don't get it.

Anyway, I played the demo for AA before knowing about all the hype and still wasn't that impressed. Seemed like standard button mashing to me with nice graphics. Anyone else?

Nope, you gotta understand, in an ocean with shitty ass Batman games, this is like heaven. It has an engaging story, none of that: "Well, go do this, just because" plot, and it's sorta like the old Animated Series, only grown up. The list of why this game is good goes on. People can dislike it if they want, no problem, just wish they'de justify it with something other than, "game sucks dude, fo realz" not saying you're doing that at all btw.

AsbestosFlaygon
Comparing Uncharted 2 to Arkham Asylum, is like comparing a Rolls-Royce to an Audi

-Pr-
Modern Warfare is over-rated to an extent, but it's still an incredibly good game, which should be recognished. I think it's unfair of people to use the PC release debacle against the actual game itself. It's petty, imo, and doesn't take away from one of the best single player experiences i personally have ever had.

Smasandian
It's overrated.

I'm playing through the SP right now and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done. I'm only at 2 1/2 hours playtime. I'm hoping that's not true.

If so, no game with a SP at only 3 hours can get game of the year. It's my rule.

S_D_J
You're joking, right?

Standard button masher???

laughing

No offense, but that's an uneducated statement.

If you spend more time trying to get a higher than 5x combo, you will know there's no button mashing involved

-Pr-
It's overrated.

I'm playing through the SP right now and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done. I'm only at 2 1/2 hours playtime. I'm hoping that's not true.

If so, no game with a SP at only 3 hours can get game of the year. It's my rule.

i never said it wasn't overrated.

2 1/2 hours? yeesh.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by BoratBorat

Rofl. Sad.

Alpha Centauri

Batman isn't even in my top 10 of characters. So I'm far from a fanboy.

It's not, in my opinion. I'd much rather play Tomb Raider.

What a retarded point.

Arkham Asylum doesn't have graphics as good as Uncharted, nowhere close. It's still a better game.

In this day and age, there's no excuse for shit graphics, but that doesn't mean every game has to try to be Crysis. That's my point.

So why don't you take time out from calling moderators simpletons an actually start explaining why you like such a dull, trite game that looks pretty?

If you're gonna tell us we're all wrong, of course.

-AC

Spartan005
Standard button masher???

laughing

No offense, but that's an uneducated statement.

Actually, no it's not. I played the demo, and I button mashed. Did I say it was bad? No. It's actually most likely a very good game, worthy of the 9/10 average rating it seems to be getting. Just not really my thing

Ushgarak
Hmm... I've not played a single one of those games on the list.

Assuming you are disqualifying the ikes of Wii Fit, I think New Super Mario Bros Wii might get a shput on this when it comes. Or it might be rubbish, I have no idea. I'm not that big on 2D Mario games.

Dark Exile
Huh, small list.

Spartan005

What a retarded point.

Arkham Asylum doesn't have graphics as good as Uncharted, nowhere close. It's still a better game.

In this day and age, there's no excuse for shit graphics, but that doesn't mean every game has to try to be Crysis. That's my point.

So why don't you take time out from calling moderators simpletons an actually start explaining why you like such a dull, trite game that looks pretty?

If you're gonna tell us we're all wrong, of course.

-AC

It's actually not a retarded point. Besides you're almost doing the same thing by calling Unchartered 2 a dull, trite game with good graphics.

And no AC, it's you that always tells everyone else we're wrong.

Alpha Centauri
It's actually not a retarded point. Besides you're almost doing the same thing by calling Unchartered 2 a dull, trite game with good graphics.

And no AC, it's you that always tells everyone else we're wrong.

It is a retarded point, because Game Boy graphics are on a level of cheapness that it's ridiculous to even compare the two. How old is the Game Boy now? I was a kid when that thing came out.

Even so, I could still enjoy playing games on it. A better, more non-retarded example would have been using PS1 graphics. In which case, yes, I'd still play it. I still play Tomb Raider. I'd still play Duck Hunt and enjoy it more than Uncharted 2.

I'm also not doing the same thing, because I totally recognise that's my opinion. My opinion is that it's a dull, trite game that looks pretty. I'm not saying anyone's wrong for thinking otherwise, just disagreeing. Nemesis believes someone is an actual moron for not liking Modern Warfare.

Claiming it's innovative or unique IS wrong, because the FACT is that there are MANY, MANY games that have done that kind of thing before, almost identically and consistently. Tomb Raider-esque games have been a consistent release style since the first one.

So, unless you happen to be wrong, I won't say you're wrong by fact. Stop interpreting my things in your own words so that it benefits you.

If you're not wrong by fact, then I will never say so, simply because you're not. It's a disagreement. Bear that in mind. I won't tell ANYONE they are wrong by fact unless they are and I can prove it. So stop interpreting it any other way.

-AC

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Hmm... I've not played a single one of those games on the list.

Now I know why you haven't submit any reviews lately.

*pokes*

Impediment
I take it you don't have a PS3 am I right?

Why in the hell would I be debating current gen games if I didn't have a current gen system, Sherlock?

Just because IGN gave higher scores to Uncharted 2, it doesnt prove your point. All you have shown is that you are riding the bandwagon.

BackFire
It's overrated.

I just finished the campaign and it took me 5 1/2 hours total. That's on the normal difficulty. Short, but quite excellent.

Ms.Marvel
i was really surprised by the SP for this one because i didnt like the first one much at all except for ghillies in the mist. this one was quite epic and in some parts i felt it had a really haunting beauty.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I just finished the campaign and it took me 5 1/2 hours total. That's on the normal difficulty. Short, but quite excellent.

It took me about 4.5 hours or so.

Dark Exile
My question is, why start this when the year isn't even over with? I say shut it down and start a new one December 31st, so its fair and people can actually play the nominations.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Dark Exile
My question is, why start this when the year isn't even over with? I say shut it down and start a new one December 31st, so its fair and people can actually play the nominations.
I agree. At least that would give Left 4 Dead 2 and the like a bigger (and more fair) chance of winning.

ArtificialGlory
Come to think of it, where is Dawn of War 2? I haven't played it personally, but from what I heard, it's a solid game.

Then there's also Empire: Total War...

-Pr-
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Come to think of it, where is Dawn of War 2? I haven't played it personally, but from what I heard, it's a solid game.

Then there's also Empire: Total War...

damn, even i'd forgotten about DOW 2.

tbh, it wasn't received well by all corners of the community for various reasons, but for the most part, it did really well.

i loved it, personally. Not as much as Batman or Modern Warfare 2, but that's not saying much.

Ms.Marvel
i think dow2 sucks especially compared to the firs DoW and its expansions.

WickedDynamite
MW2 EPIC WIN!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>