Heroes or Villains

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kris Blaze
Which do you tend to lean more towards in comics? What kind of characters do you usually like the most? Naturally, liking more "neutral" agents is an alternative as well.

willRules
I think people like villains and tend to consider them more badass.......but when you really think about it, if 10 stories can be told with a villain, a 100 stories can be told with a hero.

For example a villain has no/less moral restraints which makes them interesting as a character but a hero's moral restraints drives a story.

Not undermining villains or their story potential, just saying I think a hero has much greater degree of story potential.

Martian_mind
bullshit.

willRules
Originally posted by Martian_mind
bullshit.

No, he asked you to root for a hero or a villain, not what your dietary requirements were smile

xJLxKing
I like Villains more. To me, villains are more complex and portray a darker side of human beings that we all have the potential to become. There are cases, where the villain isn't wrong, and sometimes a villains isn't evil. They are just look misguided

Bentley
Without a moral conflict I don't see how it would be dramatic for villains to do good, heroes in the other hand would be conflicted to do evil.

Doctor-Alvis
I think I like a good line blurring character. Pretty much the anti-heroes/villains or the really crazy ones.

Aside from that, I think I like more straight heroes than I do villains. In fact, the more horrible the villain is the more cool he becomes to me.

Martian_mind
Originally posted by willRules
No, he asked you to root for a hero or a villain, not what your dietary requirements were smile

A personal attack for disagreeing with an opinion?

I'd be able to tell your religious without even glancing at your other posts.

Mindship
I definitely like the heroes more, especially the noble ones with the high-falootin' values. IMO, they best represent what we should be striving for in ourselves. As someone (Wonder Woman, I think) once said about Superman, it's not his power which makes him super, it's how he treats others despite having the power to behave otherwise. This is one of the reasons I put Surfer and Supes up top.

Exception: favorite #3: the Hulk. This character is great for wild, destructive, tragic catharsis.

For that matter, it's also pretty darn cool when a normally noble character cuts loose. The drama and contrast with their usual demeanor: priceless.

-Pr-
Heroes, definitely. They have what the villain has in some cases, and more (though there are exceptions). Even the boy scout types have that darkness inside that if they wanted to, they could unleash. instead, they choose to keep it under wraps or under control. that will always appeal to me...

xJLxKing
You are all boy scouts sneaky2

willRules
Originally posted by Martian_mind
A personal attack for disagreeing with an opinion?

I'd be able to tell your religious without even glancing at your other posts.

Well I wouldn't exactly consider calling my opinions "bullshit" the epitome of politeness.

Apologies if you took it personally, I was taking the mick in response, but in my defense, you did fire the opening salvo.

We cool? smile

Mindship
Originally posted by xJLxKing
You are all boy scouts sneaky2
"Of all manifestations of power, restraint impresses men most."
-- Thucyclides

superdur

Alpha Centauri
I think the reason I'm drawn to Deadpool most of all is because he's wildly unbalanced, to the point that he's the most rational character, to me.

I mean, Stan Lee touched on that element when Spider-Man got his powers. He didn't immediately fight crime or become a disgruntled villain, he went t exploit his abilities for money.

That's what I love about Deadpool. Ideally, he'd love to be a hero, but he can't. What suits his life and morals best is to just do what he feels is right, for whoever will pay him. It took him a while to realise that there are certain things he should stop doing, but underneath it he just wants to get paid.

I really like Surfer, he's one of the characters (Aside from Deadpool) that drew me into comics. He was, as Mindship says, something that I think everyone can aspire to.

As time has gone on, I got tired of seeing him get mugged off and f*cked over because he was and is too naive. So I don't really feel as much of a connection anymore.

Deadpool knows he is one of the best in the world at what he does, he doesn't like it, but he doesn't deny it. He's accepting of that, though. I guess I'm like Alvis in that I'd say the anti-heroes. People who are far from perfect, but make peace with who/what they are and just get on with it. For better or worse.

They make comics interesting. Villains don't know where they stand and neither do heroes. It breaks up the choice of Cyclops or Sinister, to the point that even the most staunch heroes are making controversial decisions nowadays. Cyclops forming X-Force and giving them orders to kill etc, this is a direct result of anti-heroes making people realise that shit happens, and that to make omelettes you have to break eggs.

-AC

Galan007
i prefer the 'neutral' standpoint more. characters like: vril dox, metron, lobo, elijah snow, the shade, etc. - guys who will exploit both sides to get what they want.

Kris Blaze
Lobo=Neutral? no expression

Galan007
^ he's worked for both sides on a few occasions.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Galan007
^ he's worked for both sides on a few occasions.
homo.

The Nuul
I like the Sinestro and Magneto type characters.

Galan007
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
homo. lobo = no homo. ermmnone

Kris Blaze
lobo = no homo. ermmnone
I'd claim otherwise, but refrain from doing so out of fear of him crashing into my apartment and killing me.

Philosophía
All of them.

lobo = no homo. ermmnone

He wasn't talking about Lobo.

uhuh

Galan007

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.