Would A Director's Cut Of Superman Returns Make It Better?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://www.comicvine.com/news/would-a-directors-cut-of-superman-returns-make-it-better/139780/

-Pr-
would i watch it? sure. do i think it would make the original suck less? i don't think so...

The Nuul
Nope.

Batman-Prime
The only two things that sucked were, Lois with another man and Superman's son killing an human. The rest was good.

The Nuul
I changed to yes, it will be better than the version we have but will it be great? Hell no, It wont be the Superman movie that we are all waiting for.

vansonbee
You're comments are too generous PR... confused

jayce78
Do I think it will make it better? That's the big question? There's was a lota great footage that was cut from the Theatrical version. So I do think it's a good possibility. Most film's today have some sort of Director's cut and this film deserves no less really. I do like the film very much already , so I'd definitley pick it up on Blu-ray disc. No Brainer there . . . .

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7112/supermanreturnswallpape.png

Badabing
I respected the homage paid to Superman I and II. But this movie went overboard. Too much time was spent telling us stuff we already know or was shown in Superman I and II.

Then there's the plot. Lex Luther again... No getting around that. I personally liked the movie but it was too slow. Superman needed to have a drag out fight against a formidable foe.

starlock
I guess anything is possible...but i could not see a directors cut...that would make it a good movie...better than horrible is not something i would be interested in...and its a shame really.....such a beloved character..butchered on the big screen......uuhhkk...just thinking about this movie gets me bummed out

The Nuul
Originally posted by Badabing
I respected the homage paid to Superman I and II. But this movie went overboard. Too much time was spent telling us stuff we already know or was shown in Superman I and II.

Then there's the plot. Lex Luther again... No getting around that. I personally liked the movie but it was too slow. Superman needed to have a drag out fight against a formidable foe.

thumb up

jayce78
Originally posted by Badabing

Well , It's funny you should say that because Byran Singer was more excited about his plans for the sequel than he might of even of been for Superman Returns: the movie. Telling us about his plan for a big second chapter where Superman battles a big foe that challanges him on many levels.

-Pr-
Originally posted by vansonbee
You're comments are too generous PR... confused

yup. i really don't want to list all the things wrong with that movie.

Originally posted by jayce78
Well , It's funny you should say that because Byran Singer was more excited about his plans for the sequel than he might of even of been for Superman Returns: the movie. Telling us about his plan for a big second chapter where Superman battles a big foe that challanges him on many levels.

he only started doing that, iirc, after Superman Returns bored the f*ck out of so many people.

JieDtKAj0P4

jayce78
he only started doing that, iirc, after Superman Returns bored the f*ck out of so many people.

Well I hate to touch such a eloquent and well made statement but he said that right as Superman Returns cames to theaters. Just Saying. No biggie.

-Pr-
Well I hate to touch such a eloquent and well made statement but he said that right as Superman Returns cames to theaters. Just Saying. No biggie.

ah. i don't see why he'd do it then, though. like, your movie is coming out, but you're already telling people "don't worry, the next one will be good".

seems a bit silly to me.

Allankles
Originally posted by starlock
I guess anything is possible...but i could not see a directors cut...that would make it a good movie...better than horrible is not something i would be interested in...and its a shame really.....such a beloved character..butchered on the big screen......uuhhkk...just thinking about this movie gets me bummed out

Yeah like wtf was Synger thinking. He gets an opportunity to restart the franchise for a mordern audience (that has seen the likes of Raimi's Spiderman) and all he can come up with is this boring mess?

Allankles
Originally posted by -Pr-
ah. i don't see why he'd do it then, though. like, your movie is coming out, but you're already telling people "don't worry, the next one will be good".

seems a bit silly to me.

It seems quite irrational. He deliberately made the movie dull? And then expected to get the green light for the pay off sequel? Terrible move, especially for an experienced director.

starlock
Originally posted by Allankles
It seems quite irrational. He deliberately made the movie dull? And then expected to get the green light for the pay off sequel? Terrible move, especially for an experienced director.

You know..i actually believe Singer thought his vision of superman would win us over.....but i dont think he realized as beloved as Christopher reeve was and those movies were.......that we are ready for something different and something exciting.......in this day and age.....a superman movie without a villain to test superman....will not work.....i would have been somewhat pleased if the Island Luthor grew...had weapons...or a robot of some sort. but that only begins to fix the problems with this movie...Singers vision of superman with a child was awefull....superman as a peeping tom was awefull...superman as a family wrecker was horrible..luthors scheme was awefull.....then we have this.."oh i will insert this movie inbetween the 2nd and third movie" debacle...which only furthered the disbelief of Clark and superman not being the same person? Clark was actually gone for 5 years...hmmmm and he comes back just as superman did....so adding action would have done something...but not enough.....thats why no directors cut of this movie will ever interest me.....there is nothing to work with here

jayce78
While mabie not thrilling for some , and certainly not everybodies cup of tea , I think to say the movie 'sucked balls' , or some other wonderfully mature and simplified fanboy statement is a bit harsh and not anywhere near accurate.

-Pr-
While mabie not thrilling for some , and certainly not everybodies cup of tea , I think to say the movie 'sucked balls' , or some other wonderfully mature and simplified fanboy statement is a bit harsh and not anywhere near accurate.

much, much better was expected, and should have been brought to the big screen in a much, much better form with the amount of money behinid it.

jayce78
Fair enough.

But I like it . . . . so there Mr meanie!!

-Pr-
Fair enough.

But I like it . . . . so there Mr meanie!!

you can like it if you want, as is your right as a paying customer.

i just felt, well, betrayed after the hundreds of euros i spent on superman merchandise and comic books...

jayce78
Well I kinda felt that way too about Spider-man , but you don't hear folks say too much about that , at least not in public. At least Superman Returns: the movie is not really overatted and overhyped as Spider-man is. Least as far as I know.

-Pr-
Well I kinda felt that way too about Spider-man , but you don't hear folks say too much about that , at least not in public. At least Superman Returns: the movie is not really overatted and overhyped as Spider-man is. Least as far as I know.

you didn't like the spider-man movies? not even the first two?

jayce78
you can like it if you want, as is your right as a paying customer.

i just felt, well, betrayed after the hundreds of euros i spent on superman merchandise and comic books...

I Know , and I share that somewhat. Mabie not betrayed. That's a little harsh.

But Some people don't like the new Batman movies because it's not there style and cup of tea. Some people probally won't like the Flash movie or Green Lantern , I get that. Opinion's abound. But aside from the obvious Homaze too Superman '78' I thought there was some good scenes and seq. and it was a well made movie altogether. But I get it , it was'nt as pop comic action 'a' minute exciting , as were used too. It was'nt ultra colorful and even a little cheesy kinda superhero movie. It was something we might have seen 25 yrs ago and it's just not the same world anymore , I get that.

But In the end , if one does not think it is a good Superman movie or even a good movie that's fair enough , but to act like it's a terrible and unwatchable movie as some do ( because it's not there vision) is quite funny.

jayce78
you didn't like the spider-man movies? not even the first two?

Oh it's not that I did'nt like them , but I just thought they could'a been a little more , especially the first one. I'm not really that crazy about how Tobey plays it , and I think Dunst is grossly miscast. I think there vastly overratted , not nessarily terrible movies. Big diference.

-Pr-
I Know , and I share that somewhat. Mabie not betrayed. That's a little harsh.

But Some people don't like the new Batman movies because it's not there style and cup of tea. Some people probally won't like the Flash movie or Green Lantern , I get that. Opinion's abound. But aside from the obvious Homaze too Superman '78' I thought there was some good scenes and seq. and it was a well made movie altogether. But I get it , it was'nt as pop comic action 'a' minute exciting , as were used too. It was'nt ultra colorful and even a little cheesy kinda superhero movie. It was something we might have seen 25 yrs ago and it's just not the same world anymore , I get that.

But In the end , if one does not think it is a good Superman movie or even a good movie that's fair enough , but to act like it's a terrible and unwatchable movie as some do ( because it's not there vision) is quite funny.

but even if you didn't like the batman movies, you could still accept that they were well made movies. i don't think returns was even that.

to me, it is unwatchable, considering that i could just watch superman I or superman II instead. maybe its because i'm the superman fan i am that makes it that way.

kind of like not being able to watch x-men 2 bar one or two scenes because i'm a cyclops fan.

Oh it's not that I did'nt like them , but I just thought they could'a been a little more , especially the first one. I'm not really that crazy about how Tobey plays it , and I think Dunst is grossly miscast. I think there vastly overratted , not nessarily terrible movies. Big diference.

ah, i see.

well i agree about dunst. she was a sucky mary jane...

jayce78

kind of like not being able to watch x-men 2 bar one or two scenes because i'm a cyclops fan.

You can't watch X2 because your a cyclops fan? That's kinda sad in a way. Can you at least appreciate it as agood movie like the Batman films? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

jayce78

ah, i see.

well i agree about dunst. she was a sucky mary jane...

It was probally also how she was written. Can't 100% blame her. Not many actresses could pull off that kinda Dialoge . . . .

-Pr-
You can't watch X2 because your a cyclops fan? That's kinda sad in a way. Can you at least appreciate it as agood movie like the Batman films? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

if it was good, i'd accept it. but it's not faithful to a lot of the characters, so i don't.

It was probally also how she was written. Can't 100% blame her. Not many actresses could pull off that kinda Dialoge . . . .

possibly.

jayce78
if it was good, i'd accept it. but it's not faithful to a lot of the characters, so i don't.

Well that's the thing. It not anywhere near as crazy and colorful and wacky as the X-Men that I grew up with , neither-the-less , it's a very good movie. And I'm sure Singer would've put Cyclops in more heavy in III , as the leader. But well never see that again.

-Pr-
Well that's the thing. It not anywhere near as crazy and colorful and wacky as the X-Men that I grew up with , neither-the-less , it's a very good movie. And I'm sure Singer would've put Cyclops in more heavy in III , as the leader. But well never see that again.

it might be a good movie, but is it a good x-men movie? that's where i draw the distinction.

and tbh, i don't think he ever had plans to give cyclops any sort of focus.

jayce78
it might be a good movie, but is it a good x-men movie? that's where i draw the distinction.

You could use that exact piece of reasoning about Superman Returns. Of course when it comes to - is it a good X-Men , Spider-man , Batman , Superman , Flash , Green Lantern etc , etc. You'll gonna get a million and one opinion's on that. Especially from the Comic fans out there.

-Pr-
You could use that exact piece of reasoning about Superman Returns. Of course when it comes to - is it a good X-Men , Spider-man , Batman , Superman , Flash , Green Lantern etc , etc. You'll gonna get a million and one opinion's on that. Especially from the Comic fans out there.

i don't think it was either, though. i don't think it was a good superman movie, and in general, there wasn't a lot to redeem it either for me.

jayce78
So I'm getting this feeling that it you didn't like the movie. Could just be me . . . .

jayce78
Well in retrospect , I think Returns is a good compannion to Superman I & II. I think it's a solid Singer film. Mabie not a great and dynamic Supy film , but a solid film. Routh was very charming and Likable in the role , as well as looking like a charactacure of Chris Reeve. Some of the few action scenes were of the most fantastic we've seen on Supy Film. But I can certainly understand why it's not a lota younger kids cup of tea. I say kids cause I'm 31. It was a love letter to the early Superman movie's. And some would say brings a close to Donner's Superman. The days of fans wanting Superman: the new movie was a thing of yesteryear. And that isn't what a lota people wanted.

Anyhoo In summary , I don't think it's the most fantastic Superman movie. But certainly very far from the worst. And no one should feel ashamed for enjoying it.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7112/supermanreturnswallpape.png

-Pr-
So I'm getting this feeling that it you didn't like the movie. Could just be me . . . .

laughing out loud

what gave you that idea? stick out tongue

Well in retrospect , I think Returns is a good compannion to Superman I & II. I think it's a solid Singer film. Mabie not a great and dynamic Supy film , but a solid film. Routh was very charming and Likable in the role , as well as looking like a charactacure of Chris Reeve. Some of the few action scenes were of the most fantastic we've seen on Supy Film. But I can certainly understand why it's not a lota younger kids cup of tea. I say kids cause I'm 31. It was a love letter to the early Superman movie's. And some would say brings a close to Donner's Superman. The days of fans wanting Superman: the new movie was a thing of yesteryear. And that isn't what a lota people wanted.

Anyhoo In summary , I don't think it's the most fantastic Superman movie. But certainly very far from the worst. And no one should feel ashamed for enjoying it.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7112/supermanreturnswallpape.png

i'm 26 lol.

that was the problem, though. we didn't need a love letter to the old movies. dc has moved on since chris reeve was superman. SUPERMAN has moved on since then.

with a budget of 300 million we got what, the shuttle/plane sequence (the highlight of the movie), and the kryptonite island sequence.

and lots of superman hovering outside lois' window all stalker-like.

i just wonder what it was about it that people actually liked, i guess...

darthmaul1
Didn't like the movie myself, the shuttle/plane sequence was stupid, and ripe with inacuracies, and the kryptonite island was stupid too, and would he not be able to lift the island cause it had so much kryptomite on it?
Richard Donners version of superman 2 made it way better, with out the stupid trip to niagra falls.

super pr*xy
superman returns was not a bad movie at all. it just didn't fit in the "now" world that we live in. honestly, it would have been more entertaining to see superman fight the taliban like he fought the nazis in the comics. the thing about superman returns is, as jayce78 so adequately put it, its a love letter to donner's films. people wanna see superman struggling and prevailing in the end. lex luthor is sooo played out. why not make him the president in the next movies (i'm jumping the gun here a little bit..) and have superman worry about some crazy ass villain trying to take over the world if not destroy it.

bottom line is superman was more than enough for the die hard fans, but not for the casual movie goer.

-Pr-
Originally posted by super pr*xy
superman returns was not a bad movie at all. it just didn't fit in the "now" world that we live in. honestly, it would have been more entertaining to see superman fight the taliban like he fought the nazis in the comics. the thing about superman returns is, as jayce78 so adequately put it, its a love letter to donner's films. people wanna see superman struggling and prevailing in the end. lex luthor is sooo played out. why not make him the president in the next movies (i'm jumping the gun here a little bit..) and have superman worry about some crazy ass villain trying to take over the world if not destroy it.

bottom line is superman was more than enough for the die hard fans, but not for the casual movie goer.

what do you mean by that last line?

starlock
Originally posted by super pr*xy

I tied a towel around my neck when i was a child..pretending to be superman... and since i was old enough to read...i have been collecting superman comics....i have even bought novels...merchandise...you name it.......Superman Returns was not for the die hard fans at all...quite the opposite...it screwed them.....it was worse than a bad movie.....it was a big ego trip by singer...hoping to put his mark upon the man of steele...that was no movie made for die hard fans!...i am truly glad you found something in the movie that pleased you....or that made you find it for die hard fans.....but i cant....sorry...i dont buy it

super pr*xy
is say die hard fans because they-- we-- are the only ones to see the good things about superman returns. and yes, tht film did ruin it, too, for the die hards because we are so used to the lex-vs-superman thing that it became stale.

on a different note.. go yankees..

jedi90
Originally posted by starlock
I tied a towel around my neck when i was a child..pretending to be superman... and since i was old enough to read...i have been collecting superman comics....i have even bought novels...merchandise...you name it.......Superman Returns was not for the die hard fans at all...quite the opposite...it screwed them.....it was worse than a bad movie.....it was a big ego trip by singer...hoping to put his mark upon the man of steele...that was no movie made for die hard fans!...i am truly glad you found something in the movie that pleased you....or that made you find it for die hard fans.....but i cant....sorry...i dont buy it

i did the same thing as a kid. Singer, not so much. he never read superman comics and only knew of superman from the first donner movie (admitted in interview). I doubt he watched the george reeves version either like he cliamed cause that version had about the most testosterone.

roughrider
It's long - they should make it longer; just go for it. Include the sequence when Clark is examining all the rubble of Krypton.

newark
In my opinion, a bad movie is a bad movie end of.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.