Favorite/Best 2009 Film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
In your opinion, what's been the best/your favorite film of '09 thusfar?

I'm going to put a few movies that have yet to be released on the poll so that you can potentially vote on those when you see them.

For me, Inglourious Basterds has been my favorite movie of the year. To me it just delivered on all levels and then some; Christoph Waltz was freaking amazing and overall it was the most fun I've had at the movies this year.

The Nuul
Ummm.....some of them havent even come out yet.

Ziggy22
District 9

WickedDynamite
Inglorious Basterds

Kazenji
Inglourious Basterds then followed by Watchmen.

Ms.Marvel
district 9 for me!

Alpha Centauri
Moon, easily.

-AC

Scythe
I haven't even seen The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, after I'll see it, I'll decide.

AsbestosFlaygon
I voted for Moon, as in New Moon

The Nuul
District 9 for me outta the ones I did see.

MildPossession
I'll wait till the year is over. stick out tongue

jaden101
I've only seen 3 of those so far and out of those it would be Hurt Locker. I have a feeling the The Road will be my favourite film of the year though.

One Free Man
there is no "9"

jaden101
Originally posted by One Free Man
there is no "9"

There's 2...Maybe he couldn't choose. wink

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0875034/

Robtard
Of the seven I've seen off that list, Hurt Locker, followed by District 9.

Have a raging boner for The Road, been waiting patiently for a year or two now.

MildPossession
I so want to see Nine, the musical looks fantastic.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Moon, easily.

-AC

Hell, yeah! thumb up

Myth
For me so far it is:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Drag Me to Hell
3. District 9
4. Star Trek

Impediment
From the movies I have seen from the poll, I choose Basterds.

The Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession

Woman, they always have to make things difficult......roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bouboumaster
Inglorious Basterds / Watchmen

And I have a special spot for Zombieland

Davis Bloome
I'd say Watchmen is the best of this year but my favorite movie of the year is Halloween 2.

MildPossession
Failllllllllllll. stick out tongue

jaden101
Incidentally...The Road isn't going to be my favourite film of 2009 given that it's now been delayed until January 2010.

SnakeEyes
That sucks. It came out yesterday in the States, I'm planning on seeing it soon.

MildPossession
Delayed for Britain! urgh.

K.Diddy
Watchmen

SnakeEyes
Also, I definitely won't see Parnassus here in the States until January. Kinda sucks.

As for '09 films, I'd like to give a shout out to 500 Days of Summer, which is in my top five for the year, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Forgot to put it in the poll.

NemeBro
Inglourious Basterds and Welcome to Zombieland.

Myth
Originally posted by Myth
For me so far it is:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Drag Me to Hell
3. District 9
4. Star Trek

I forgot about Zombieland. Put that one as 5th.

That ACDC Chick
Watchmen

BackFire
Having trouble deciding between Up, Inglorious Basterds and The Hurt Locker.

Though I've not seen Moon yet, and very much want to.

I was really expecting The Road to be among my favorites, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

SnakeEyes
Still gotta see The Road. As for the rest you mentioned, Backfire, my ranking of those would be - 1) Inglourious Basterds, 2) The Hurt Locker, 3) Moon, and 4) Up.

I have a feeling that both The Hurt Locker and Moon weren't seen (or maybe even heard of) by a lot of people, which is a shame because they were both damn good.

geogexavier
Hi friends,
My vote is for "The Hurt Locker"

Alpha-7
District 9

anthonywil
I vote for District 9 only .. No one else ..

MildPossession
Plenty have if you read the topic.

Mr Parker

same here,especially since SHERLOCK HOLMES hasnt come out yet.that movie looks to not only be my favorite of the year but one of my faves of all time.

wakkawakkawakka
I vote District 9 for two reasons. One, because I haven't seen Inglorious Bastards or Watchmen. Second because District 9 seemed to be one of the most interesting films I've seen in a while.

Alien Apartheid mixed with action FTW!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Inglourious Basterds then followed by Watchmen.

thumb up

QFT.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Mr Parker
same here,especially since SHERLOCK HOLMES hasnt come out yet.that movie looks to not only be my favorite of the year but one of my faves of all time.

Why on Earth would Sherlock Holmes be considered a favorite of all time (or the year)? What makes it look so special?

It's not even on my radar as top ten material for the year.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Why on Earth would Sherlock Holmes be considered a favorite of all time (or the year)? What makes it look so special?

I agree. As good as Robert Downey Jr. can be, nothing else about the film would make me think it's going to be any good whatsoever.

MildPossession
It looks a fun movie, but definitely not All time material.

Mr Parker

thats too bad.Looks like your missing a great flick.Downey is a good actor and it looks like a really fun action flick with lots of action and great special effects.I love movies like that with lots of action in it like this one appears to have. Happy Dance

It sure as hell will be a hundred times better than that god awful District 9 thats for sure. I made the mistake of thinking that movie was that mob movie that Johnny Depp was in and saw it and after an hour and a half of that movie,I could not take it anymore and left. I cant believe movies like District 9 could possibly be listed there but movies like that Johhny Depp flick and The Haunting Of Connecticut could be left out. mad

Right now The Haunting Of Connecticut is my favorite of the year.Oh and when I say one of my favorites of all time,I mean top 20 list,not top 5 or anything like that.Dont know if I will end up rating it that high or not,that remains to be seen.

wakkawakkawakka
Haunting in Connecticut was really good but what's wrong with District 9 other than the beginning. Besides with crap like GI-Joe and New Moon(I'm dissing the movie not the book Twilight fans) District 9 was great. Star Trek was nice too though I just like the whole apartheid theme.

roughrider
Might have to give my vote to that documentary THE COVE.
It would be followed closely by UP, STAR TREK, THE HURT LOCKER, and DISTRICT 9.

SnakeEyes
thats too bad.Looks like your missing a great flick.Downey is a good actor and it looks like a really fun action flick with lots of action and great special effects.I love movies like that with lots of action in it like this one appears to have. Happy Dance

It sure as hell will be a hundred times better than that god awful District 9 thats for sure. I made the mistake of thinking that movie was that mob movie that Johnny Depp was in and saw it and after an hour and a half of that movie,I could not take it anymore and left. I cant believe movies like District 9 could possibly be listed there but movies like that Johhny Depp flick and The Haunting Of Connecticut could be left out. mad

Right now The Haunting Of Connecticut is my favorite of the year.Oh and when I say one of my favorites of all time,I mean top 20 list,not top 5 or anything like that.Dont know if I will end up rating it that high or not,that remains to be seen.

Where do I begin?

So a fun action flick with a lot of fun action and more action makes for the best film of the year? Hm, okay.

And you're dissing District 9 (which was great), because you thought you were watching Public Enemies? lol. Umm, alright...

Haven't seen the Haunting of Connecticut, didn't want to, but maybe I'll watch it just so I can form a solid opinion on it. Other than that, I don't have much else to say. Your post was ridiculous.

MildPossession
Sherlock Holmes is not getting spectacular reviews here, around 3 out of 5 stars.

Mr Parker
Where do I begin?

So a fun action flick with a lot of fun action and more action makes for the best film of the year? Hm, okay.

And you're dissing District 9 (which was great), because you thought you were watching Public Enemies? lol. Umm, alright...

Haven't seen the Haunting of Connecticut, didn't want to, but maybe I'll watch it just so I can form a solid opinion on it. Other than that, I don't have much else to say. Your post was ridiculous.

kinda like the ridiculous reasons you gave for not getting excited about see FLYBOYS when that movie came out. laughing that pathetic District 9 a great movie? okay,whatever. laughing sorry but that piece of crap was boring as hell. sick and whats also rediculous is you falsely assuming that I didnt like it cause I thought I was seeing Public Enemies. laughing when the REAL reason i didnt like it was like I said,it was boring as hell.

That wasnt the first time I went into a theatre not knowing the name of the flick I wanted to see but it turned out to be a different movie.Only difference is this time,the movie I went in to see was crap where other times,I still liked that movie I went to see even though it turned out to be a different movie than what I was wanting to see.

BruceSkywalker
Sherlock Holmes is not getting spectacular reviews here, around 3 out of 5 stars.

i am not worried at all what the reviews as i have already seen it, but i will not spoil it for anyone..

One Free Man
it's out somewhere? apparently somebody thinks they will make money by releasing it on xmas day. I want to see it.

Ms.Marvel
im going to change my vote to the hurt locker. smile

MildPossession
Scrap that, Sherlock is mostly getting 2 out of 5 now. Also, the musical Nine doesn't seem to be doing well at all, mostly 1 star reviews, one of the worst films in a long time... I'm am very surprised by that, thought it would be big like Chicago.

SnakeEyes
Just recently watched "Up in the Air," which is definitely now in my top 5 of the year.

-Pr-
Avatar and District 9 are the best movies i've seen this year. Both excellent, excellent movies.

Inglorious Basterds is up there too.

Sherlock Holmes disappointed, tbh.

Mr. Rhythmic
There are films I haven't seen yet, keep in mind, such as "Where The Wild Things Are", "Up In The Air", "Hurt Locker", any Japanese films, and "Avatar".

District 9
Up
Star Trek
Sherlock Holmes
The Princess And The Frog

Runner up is "Drag Me To Hell".

Mr. Rhythmic

I give it a 4.5/5.

flyawayjane
District 9

Kelly_Bean
New Moon. :]

xJLxKing
District 9
Inglorious Bastards

darthmaul1
my top picks in no particular order

Star Trek
Up
Gi Joe
Terminator 4
Wolverine

On the polls list i have only seen up and watchmen, up was awsome and watchmen was frigin retarded. i saw a bit of District 9 and didn't like what i saw, but will have to catch it again. i want to see
Moon The Hurt Locker The Road The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

SnakeEyes
Pretty shitty list. sad

Blinky
I dare say my personal favorite of 2009 was Zombieland, I know it wasn't the best by any means - but I enjoyed it so f*cking much.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by darthmaul1

Star Trek
Up
Gi Joe
Terminator 4
Wolverine

You like explosions, don't you?

Myth
Here's an updated list since I made my last list before I saw Avatar:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Drag Me to Hell
3a. District 9
3b. Avatar
5. Star Trek
6. Zombieland

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Kovacs86
You like explosions, don't you?

Of course, but it has to be done correctly, not like Transformers 2 piece of crap.

I do like dramas etc. but i tend to wait for those on video. as i said i had other movies to watch still.

Mr Parker
Pretty shitty list. sad

why do you always feel the need to put people down who dont have the same agreements about movies you do?

jaden101

Star Trek
Up
Gi Joe
Terminator 4
Wolverine

On the polls list i have only seen up and watchmen, up was awsome and watchmen was frigin retarded. i saw a bit of District 9 and didn't like what i saw, but will have to catch it again. i want to see

Looks to me that going by the list of films you thought were the best of 2009 that you really wouldn't like any of the fims you listed as wanting to see.

I'm sorry but anyone who lists GI Joe as a great film just wouldn't appreciate the Hurt Locker beyond the explosions...Which as far from what that film is about as you can possibly get.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by jaden101
Looks to me that going by the list of films you thought were the best of 2009 that you really wouldn't like any of the fims you listed as wanting to see.

I'm sorry but anyone who lists GI Joe as a great film just wouldn't appreciate the Hurt Locker beyond the explosions...Which as far from what that film is about as you can possibly get.

Now why would you say that? For what it was a comic book movie I really enjoyed GI JOE and thought it was highly entertaining. and just because i like that and you don't doesn't mean i wont like hurt locker. Having seen the trailers for Hurt Locker it looks like a good movie. Along the same lines as Black Hawk Down. which i liked too.
Everyone has different tastes, alot of people liked the hangover, me not so much. and i enjoyed balls of fury and others didn't

jaden101
Now why would you say that? For what it was a comic book movie I really enjoyed GI JOE and thought it was highly entertaining. and just because i like that and you don't doesn't mean i wont like hurt locker. Having seen the trailers for Hurt Locker it looks like a good movie. Along the same lines as Black Hawk Down. which i liked too.
Everyone has different tastes, alot of people liked the hangover, me not so much. and i enjoyed balls of fury and others didn't

I would say that because, given your list of your favourite movies from 2009, you seem to prefer action packed no-brainer movies.

You chose.

When 2009 offered up

Thirst
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Frost/Nixon
Anvil
Encounters at the end of the world
The Wrestler
Antichrist
Fantastic Mr Fox
In the Loop
Inglorious Basterds
Let the right one in
Milk
Paranormal Activity
Red Cliff

And any number of other films that were a hell of a lot better than GI Joe, Wolverine and Terminator Salvation. (Up and Avatar were tremendous though)

SnakeEyes
Some of those are 2008 ^ but yeah your point remains.

SnakeEyes
why do you always feel the need to put people down who dont have the same agreements about movies you do?

Do I always do that? Hm. I was just calling it like I see it. You know, I realize that taste in film is subjective, but seriously, having G.I. Joe, Terminator Salvation and Wolverine on a list is just asking for criticism.

darthmaul1
Do I always do that? Hm. I was just calling it like I see it. You know, I realize that taste in film is subjective, but seriously, having G.I. Joe, Terminator Salvation and Wolverine on a list is just asking for criticism.

That is your opinion, for me i really enjoyed those films and was highly entertained. I forgot to put Grand Torino on my list i loved that move too. so I can still enjoy other dramas like the Green mile or Shawshank redemption or Grand Torino. But i tend to have different tastes than most, everyone loved the hangover and i didn't. and everyone hated balls of fury and i really enjoyed it. Cable Guy is one of jim's best movies, but is panned by most. That is the problem with most critics they are only interested in Dramas. when everthing should be considered. The Dark Knight should of been up for best picutre but because it has a super hero in it it wasn't. Had the movie just been about a police officer it would of won. Like Sean Penn (mystic river)winning best actor over Johnny Depp (pirates). that was a load of crap, depp should of got it. But if i am paying 13 bucks to see a movie i am not going to see a drama. i will wait for it on video then watch it.

Mr Parker

true enough that you dont ALWAYS do that, but geez I thought this was a thread to come to to list your favorite films of 2009 without getting attacked for having different opinions than the ones YOU have? so far you havent demonstrated that someone can come here and post movies they enjoyed for 2009 without that happening. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Like he said,that is your opinion, but he highly enjoyed those films and found them very entertaining.A couple of them he listed at least,were a couple of very entertaining and enjoyable films and you put him down for liking them which I still think was uncalled for and unnessary which goes for what you said to me as well for wanting to see Sherlock Holmes because I found the trailer impressive.

Btw,Just so you know.I take everything back about what i said about that movie,from the TRAILERS,I thought it looked like an amazing and outstanding film and was excited to see it, but as happens many times after viewing a trailer,the movie didnt measure up to the greatness of the trailer.

Mr Parker
Scrap that, Sherlock is mostly getting 2 out of 5 now.

totally understandable.finally saw this movie and like what happens with many other movies,this movie did not measure up to the greatness of the trailer and for sure is not one of my favorite movies of the year nor do I plan on seeing it multiple times like I was thinking I was going to want to after seeing the trailer.

I plan on giving a review of this movie another time on its own thread it has for the film.

jaden101
Well not really. Given that you named 5 of the biggest blockbusters of the year as your favourite movies. I'd say you have the film taste equivalent of chart pop music.

WhiskeyGirl
new moon nerd

Mr Parker
That is your opinion, for me i really enjoyed those films and was highly entertained. I forgot to put Grand Torino on my list i loved that move too. so I can still enjoy other dramas like the Green mile or Shawshank redemption or Grand Torino. But i tend to have different tastes than most, everyone loved the hangover and i didn't. and everyone hated balls of fury and i really enjoyed it. Cable Guy is one of jim's best movies, but is panned by most. That is the problem with most critics they are only interested in Dramas. when everthing should be considered. The Dark Knight should of been up for best picutre but because it has a super hero in it it wasn't. Had the movie just been about a police officer it would of won. Like Sean Penn (mystic river)winning best actor over Johnny Depp (pirates). that was a load of crap, depp should of got it. But if i am paying 13 bucks to see a movie i am not going to see a drama. i will wait for it on video then watch it.

Gran Torino was actually a 2008 film which was probably my seconf favorite movie of that year next to The Changeling ALSO directed by Eastwood.Eastwood has really gotten a lot better with age as a director.

darthmaul1
Gran Torino was actually a 2008 film which was probably my seconf favorite movie of that year next to The Changeling ALSO directed by Eastwood.Eastwood has really gotten a lot better with age as a director.

Hmm i thought it was an 09 movie i saw it in the summer on bluray
and in IMDB it came out in january 2009. that is it open nation wide in january.

Darth Martin
Gi Joe
Terminator 4
Wolverine

watchmen was frigin retarded.

http://www.scienceblogs.de/astrodicticum-simplex/2009/05/07/double-facepalm.jpg

Mr Parker
Hmm i thought it was an 09 movie i saw it in the summer on bluray
and in IMDB it came out in january 2009. that is it open nation wide in january.

Better take a look again.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

Myth
Better take a look again.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

It was a limited release December 2008, and wide released January 2009.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Myth
It was a limited release December 2008, and wide released January 2009.

okay,thanks for the info.that being the case,that would be my favorite movie of 2009.

SnakeEyes
But it's still a 2008 film...

Kazenji
and watchmen was frigin retarded.

I'm guessing you were expecting to see big epic fight scenes since its based on a Comic book.....

The Butcher
Wolverine,then Law Abiding Citizen.

MildPossession
It counts if it was released in your country during 2009. stick out tongue

Myth
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm guessing you were expecting to see big epic fight scenes since its based on a Comic book.....

I was expecting big epic fights. However, I liked the movie more than I expected to because it was more story driven than I expected (I had low expectations because I thought the whole thing would be "BANG!" BOOM!" etc.).

SnakeEyes
It counts if it was released in your country during 2009. stick out tongue

That's bullhonkey.

Also, I'm putting in my vote right now for Avatar as the most overrated movie of '09 (and the decade for that matter).

Syren
I've only seen Watchmen and Up so I can't vote yet, I have several others from the list waiting to be watched, however big grin

Hell Lancer
Watchmen and the Wrestler. Hands down.

roughrider
That's bullhonkey.

Also, I'm putting in my vote right now for Avatar as the most overrated movie of '09 (and the decade for that matter).

I wouldn't even call Avatar the Best SciFi/Fantasy movie of the year, either. What with Star Trek, District 9, Moon...even Watchmen is perhaps superior.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Hell Lancer
Watchmen and the Wrestler. Hands down.

The Wrestler was 2008.

MildPossession
Out of the ones mentioned, I adored:

Up
Moon
Inglourious Basterds
The Hurt Locker - minus the horrible camera work
Drag Me To Hell
District 9
AntiChrist
Let The Right One In

Some more I liked this year:

(500) Days of Summer

L'instinct de Mort, and L'ennemi public no.1(Mesrine parts 1 and 2) - the first film is the strongest and most enjoyable to me, but very good films from France. Vincent Cassel was amazing in these films.

Others I haven't seen or are not coming into my head right now.

MildPossession
Forgot to add, probably the most disappointing film of the year for me was Millennium, the first film based on the book The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Still liked it but just not what I expected. Hopefully the sequel picks up.

SnakeEyes
I still maintain that Let the Right One In is a 2008 film, despite when your backwards country decided to release it. yes

jaden101
Originally posted by Syren
I've only seen Watchmen and Up so I can't vote yet, I have several others from the list waiting to be watched, however big grin

Better get to it then cos as soon as you pop then you aint watching anything again for the next 18 years.

MildPossession
It was released here in cinemas in Britain, August last year, so bla. stick out tongue Nearly every country had an official release in 2009, so don't know what backwards country you come from. smile

SnakeEyes
Well, it's a Swedish movie and it was released there in 2008. And I'm American, and it was released in '08 in the states.

I usually go by the release in the film's country of origin. But.... I was also just giving you a hard time.

MildPossession
You mean you are not from Bruges!!!! tut tut.

Syren
Originally posted by jaden101
Better get to it then cos as soon as you pop then you aint watching anything again for the next 18 years.

stick out tongue

I will get a babysitter - aka my partner's mum - if there's an excellent film I want to watch laughing out loud

SnakeEyes
You mean you are not from Bruges!!!! tut tut.

Nope, sorry. embarrasment

I just changed it to that after I watched In Bruges, ha. I'm from the good ole US of A.

algo
District 9 tops the list for me....

shawn_michael
Last year, a movie was released named Oh my god and have win hearts of many people. So in my opinion this is a good movie of last year.

patience
Hello friends

I like titenic hoollywood movie, content of the movie is to how to live life at all. and director wanna deliver the message to all of us that how two people caould fall in love at the boat in journy, and how they can not live without eachother at all. they believe in each other always and try to give love more than each other. i like this movie because of ship and love scene.
have a grate movie.

MildPossession
Titanic wasn't released last year...

shawn_michael
Collapse is one of the nice movie of last year. You can download this movie easily from this website

Mr Parker
Titanic wasn't released last year...

yeah that poster might want to take the time to look at the thread title first before posting. laughing

Alpha Centauri
Moon, for me.

-AC

Regnir Bamos
Inglourious Basterds

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Davis Bloome
I'd say Watchmen is the best of this year but my favorite movie of the year is Halloween 2.

that post HAD to be a joke. roll eyes (sarcastic) that crapfest Halloween 2? get serious. laughing

Darth Martin
He wisely seperated "best" from "worst". It's not up to us to judge. But I saw bits and pieces of H2 and it sucked ass. Nowhere near the first.

Myth
Saw Hurt Locker recently. I thought it was a really good movie, but kind of over hyped. Though, I'm thankful the hype got me to see it. I have many films from 2009 ranked over it (at least as far as favorites go).

Darth Martin
Plan on watching that tonight. Along with Pelham 123 and The Blind Side? Are these any good?

Watched Black Dynamite Wed. That movie is great!

Ultraviolence
"Moon" was, in my opinion, the best film of 2009, if not one of the greatest sci-fi films ever released.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Martin
He wisely seperated "best" from "worst". It's not up to us to judge. But I saw bits and pieces of H2 and it sucked ass. Nowhere near the first.

it was every bit as god awful as the first remake. sick

Darth Martin
The 2007 film is awesome. Not scary, but then again, neither is the 1978 original. The music, kills, and Mane's take on Myers is great. It's a great hardcore Myers film.

Mr Parker

Star Trek
Up
Gi Joe
Terminator 4
Wolverine

Wanted to wait till I saw all the movies listed as the choices before I made my final top picks of the year.Finally saw all of them except The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus so here is my list of favorite movies of the year 2009 which is kind of similiar to yours,and btw,Halloween 2007 really really sucked. stick out tongue

Up
Terminater 4
Wolverine
Amelia
Public Enemies
and The Haunting Of Connecticut which is easily my favorite of the year.

Serge
Inglourious Basterds, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and Moon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.