Top 10 Offensive NBA Players Of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
Not sure if the title is good or not. But IYO, who are the ten best offensive players to ever play in the NBA? Not just scoring. I'm thinking more of an accumulation of scoring, passing, ball handling, IQ, and various intangibles. Players can be from any era. But don't pick guys like Chamberlain and Baylor if you've never seen or seriously read up on them. Explain yourselfs. Hopefully, we can get some thoughtful opinions.

Smasandian
No offense,

But what's the point?

Most of the great NBA players are known for offense anyways so when people vote for the best NBA players of all time, it's generally going to be the same guys who are the most talented offensive players.

Darth Martin
Alright. Let me change this to the following(mods please change the title):

Top 10 Perimeter Scorers Of All Time

Dirk Nowitzki is a PF. But he's a viable option here because he plays on the perimeter alot. Wilt Chamberlain or Shaq aren't viable options here.

Rogue Jedi
Jordan
Bird
Zeke
Olajuwon
Kobe
Barkley
Drexler

Darth Martin
I think McGrady warrants mention and probably more. In 02-03 he could give it to you however you wanted it. Larry Bird and Michael Jordan are truly awesome. They had great midrange games. Larry had a shot from anywhere on the court. Where Jordan wasn't perfect on his 3-point shooting, he had a great midrange game and an unstoppable driving ability in his early career.

I have to say that Kobe is the greatest though. In 05-06 he had unlimited range on his three pointer. From the playoffs on up he mastered his midrange game and the turnaround fadeaway. Now in the early part of 09-10 he's mastered a low post game.

AsbestosFlaygon
Kobe is probably the best perimeter shooter I have seen in the history of the league.

Ray Allen, when he was in his prime, would be a close 2nd.

But the greatest player on both ends of the court is arguably Earl Manigault.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Kobe is probably the best perimeter shooter I have seen in the history of the league.

Ray Allen, when he was in his prime, would be a close 2nd.

Dude, better than Bird? Better than Dale Ellis?

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Dude, better than Bird? Better than Dale Ellis? Kobe>Bird. He is far more athletic and agile. His footwork is flawless and this year has introduced an impeccable postgame coupled with his midrange turn-around fadeaway(mastered in 05-06 playoffs). Kobe must have scored 50 atleast 25 times in his career already. Not to mention 50 in four consecutive games, 61 at the Garden last season, 81 in 42 min, and my personal favorite: outscoring Dallas 62-61 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Ray Allen and Bird are better shooters than Kobe. Not better scorers.

chithappens
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Kobe>Bird. He is far more athletic and agile. His footwork is flawless and this year has introduced an impeccable postgame coupled with his midrange turn-around fadeaway(mastered in 05-06 playoffs). Kobe must have scored 50 atleast 25 times in his career already. Not to mention 50 in four consecutive games, 61 at the Garden last season, 81 in 42 min, and my personal favorite: outscoring Dallas 62-61 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Shhhh. You are just sayin stuff

Darth Martin
My "Stuff">Your Nothing

chithappens
You tried to make a comparison with Bird and Allen... that said enough on it's own.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by chithappens
Shhhh. You are just sayin stuff Indeed, loan him a buck so he can buy a clue?

guy222
Too hard to say

Darth Martin
You tried to make a comparison with Bird and Allen... that said enough on it's own. I wasn't comparing Bird and Allen. I was comparing them to Bryant. What do you have to say that's informative? I wasn't even making note of Allen's ability. I was referring to his shooting: better than Bryant's. Bryant is a better scorer than them IMO.

Indeed, loan him a buck so he can buy a clue? Atleast I have an opinion and can articulate it in sentences. All you two have done is try to make me seem like I'm retarded. Not the case. I know NBA.

Rogue Jedi
Just saying....Bird....Allen....I dont see the connection.

Darth Martin
Just saying....Bird....Allen....I dont see the connection.

If you actually read my post, maybe you would.

Kobe is probably the best perimeter shooter I have seen in the history of the league. Ray Allen, when he was in his prime, would be a close 2nd.

Originally posted by Darth Martin

Try to keep up.

Rogue Jedi
Kobe Bryant, best perimeter shooter in the history of the league.....whoa....is he serious?

AsbestosFlaygon
Kobe Bryant, best perimeter shooter in the history of the league.....whoa....is he serious?
Lemme guess who you think is: Michael Jordan.

Yeah right... MJ doesn't even have a 3-point hotspot.

eFS2Pm4KOSg

Rogue Jedi
Lemme guess who you think is: Michael Jordan.

Yeah right... MJ doesn't even have a 3-point hotspot.

eFS2Pm4KOSg Nah, not MJ. And making a left handed half court shot while NOT under pressure means shit.

Some of the best perimeter shooters? IMO?

Larry Bird
Robert Horry
Dale Ellis
Drazen Petrovic
Mark Price
Tom Chambers
Sam Perkins

AsbestosFlaygon
Nah, not MJ. And making a left handed half court shot while NOT under pressure means shit.

Some of the best perimeter shooters? IMO?

Larry Bird
Robert Horry
Dale Ellis
Drazen Petrovic
Mark Price
Tom Chambers
Sam Perkins
Robert Horry?
Tom Chambers?
Perimeter shooters?

Seriously... no expression

Rogue Jedi
Robert Horry?
Tom Chambers?
Perimeter shooters?

Seriously... no expression Mhm. Look up their stats. Horry was never a big scorer, but when the lakers/rockets needed a three to win a game, at crunch time, he was like ice.

AsbestosFlaygon
Mhm. Look up their stats. Horry was never a big scorer, but when the lakers/rockets needed a three to win a game, at crunch time, he was like ice.
WTF are you talking about?

Horry was never a perimeter shooter

He's not even an offensive player no expression

Rogue Jedi

He's not even an offensive player no expression Um, yeah, he was. He was a clutch ass 3 point shooter for the Rockets, then for the Lakers.

AsbestosFlaygon
Um, yeah, he was. He was a clutch ass 3 point shooter for the Rockets, then for the Lakers.
Dude, look at his stats..
He never even averaged 14 PPG.

How the hell would he be better perimeter shooter than either Kobe or Ray Allen?

He's not even as good as Dirk Nowitzki.

Rogue Jedi

How the hell would he be better perimeter shooter than either Kobe or Ray Allen?

He's not even as good as Dirk Nowitzki. I didn't say he was a good scorer, just that he was a good perimeter shooter. Dirk is good too, but I dont like him because he is a whiny little beeotch.

Dale Ellis is my all time fave, dude was amazing.

AsbestosFlaygon
I didn't say he was a good scorer, just that he was a good perimeter shooter. Dirk is good too, but I dont like him because he is a whiny little beeotch.
Even so, he would never be in any Top 10 list.

He's mediocre at best on both offense and defense.

Rogue Jedi
Horry? No doubt there, but like I say, his role was simple. Team needs a three, get him the ball.

chithappens

He's not even an offensive player no expression

SHOOTER. SHOOTER. SHOOTER. NOT SCORER. SHOOTER.

How do you confuse yourself? These Robert Horry comments let me know you don't know much about basketball.

Bill Simmons on Robert Horry

(This is actually the column that made me really like the guy cause he writes in a nonchalant, humorous style but knows what he's talking about.)

That's why I'm not jumping into this. You are using term and don't even know what you are talking about. You are talking about greatest "shooters" and don't mention Reggie Miller.

You put Larry Bird and Ray Allen in the same comparison to say how Kobe is a better "scorer", but your argument fails by default because Ray Allen has never been in either of their leagues so that would never make sense. Kobe has never had the stroke that Bird has, but Kobe can score in ways Bird never could. That makes Kobe a better "shooter?" WTF Happy Dance

Rogue Jedi
Reggie Miller yes BADASS.

chithappens
And just to help it sink into this guy a little more who Robery Horry is if he is too ashamed to read the column:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdik09RGJI

Just one of his magic games.

Rogue Jedi
Horry was beyond clutch, man. Ice water in his veins.

AsbestosFlaygon

That's why I'm not jumping into this. You are using term and don't even know what you are talking about. You are talking about greatest "shooters" and don't mention Reggie Miller.
Actually, I had Reggie Miller as one of the best perimeter shooters on top of my head.

Dude got mad skills.. he can shoot anywhere he wanted.

Jerry West and Pete Maravich also deserve a mention.

Darth Martin
I'd say Bryant is the best perimiter scorer I've seen play. No9t best shooter though.

guy222
I said earlier its too hard to compare

Wilt changed the Game

Magic/Bird

Then came Mike's turn

Let Kobe's career end first. Then a better comparsion can be made

No one....No one compares to Kobe now

Go Lakers

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by guy222
No one....No one compares to Kobe now

Meh..

Dwyane Wade is just about as good as he is.

Only problem is he doesn't have good teammates to back him up.

draxx_tOfU
Reggie Miller yes BADASS.

Bingo...

also Allan Houston, Jeff Hornacek, Dale Ellis, Dennis Scot to name a few...

guy222
Meh..

Dwyane Wade is just about as good as he is.

Only problem is he doesn't have good teammates to back him up.

Kobe>>Lebron>>Wade

Miami should've surrounded Wade with better players

Darth Martin
Dwyane Wade is just about as good as he is. In productivity? Maybe. As a basketball player(skills)? Hell no. Not even close.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by draxx_tOfU
Bingo...

also Allan Houston, Jeff Hornacek, Dale Ellis, Dennis Scot to name a few... yes Dan Majerle.

BruceSkywalker

Dirk choked when it counted

AsbestosFlaygon
bzD-S2cWfgg

draxx_tOfU
yes Dan Majerle.

forgot Thunder Dan, yep, dude was a legit threat...

Michael Jordan too, people seem to forget how good a clutch perimeter shooter MJ is, some of his most famous shots came from the perimeter during crunch time, like against Craig Ehlo and Bryon Russel to name a few...

Steve Smith, John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Peja Stojakovic, Wesley Persons, Paul Pierce, Jason Kidd, and J.R. Smith to name a few...

also, in terms of prototype PF's (Kemp, Webber, Rodman, Barkley), Karl Malone had decent perimeter skills...

AsbestosFlaygon
Pete Maravich is a good contender for the #1 spot.

Cold as ice... arguably the best perimeter shooter in the history of the NBA

EDIT:
Chauncey Billups also a very good perimeter shooter.

JustFrame
Offensively there can be some debate here, however Michael Jordan takes the #1 spot.

Being someone whom was old enough to watch Jordan through out most of his entire career, especially during his Prime Years, Jordan is w/out question the best to step on the floor. He has a Monster First Step, excellent knowledge of choosing when to shoot, unstoppable at scoring inside the paint, and a arguably the best fade away jumper of all time (Sorry Big-O!).

MJ hands down, because unlike Wilt who had benefits of being the tallest guy at his time and not only that, but the rules, he could score almost effortlessly. However MJ played during the most defensive oriented era (80's and especially the 90's were NBA Defense was at it's absolute peak).

The "early" MJ didn't have a strong of a long range game, however from Prime MJ to twilight MJ, his jumper was absolutely ridiculous, and his fade away could not be guarded. You take into his account, he could get into the paint and score at will, at will, up against some of the greatest Defensive Teams of all time (1986 Celtics, Bad Boys, 1992 Knicks <--- Say what you want, but they were a Monster Defensive Team that Year, and they perfect imo the Bad Boys Def. Concept due to their larger statures and just as aggressive notion, only problem they don't get recognized is because they HAD to deal with a Prime MJ w/ a fully bloomed Bulls Team).

MJ easily takes it, and I need to say this about the person earlier stating Kobe>Bird for scoring. Problem is, Bird didn't need to do it 24/7 because his team was so good and stacked, however there are two very different aspects here. Kobe in comparison to Bird has a much better inside game to the paint, however that's where Kobe beats Bird only. Bird on the other hand shoots better almost everywhere else.

However, MJ takes it, how does he not? He has no huge weakness at all, plus he could not be consistently guarded (guarding MJ to 30 pts would have been a GOOD day to any defender) and he could kill you anywhere on the floor when it came to scoring. He was the best offensive player in my mind.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.