A Look At Darwin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091124/hl_time/08599194248300

Frankly I find the article creepy on several different levels.

King Kandy
All that guy does is whine while offering no solutions to perceived problems.

Cherrywild
I thought it was interesting how he suggested " ...we also have to examine what is special about human beings, and why they deserve to be treated differently and granted certain rights. " It seems a bit pretentious, and I don't think it's helping him prove his point any. Maybe I've already got Darwinism too exacted in my head ( stick out tongue ) but doesn't it kind of average up to the same thing? Because the 'stronger' and or 'better minded' continue to thrive, are they not given certain privileges and rights?

Shakyamunison
Do some people think that Darwin invented evolution?

Dr Will Hatch
I think I knew that Finnish kid in a "Six degrees of sepertation" way.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
yes

Originally posted by Cherrywild
I thought it was interesting how he suggested " ...we also have to examine what is special about human beings, and why they deserve to be treated differently and granted certain rights. " It seems a bit pretentious, and I don't think it's helping him prove his point any. Maybe I've already got Darwinism too exacted in my head ( stick out tongue ) but doesn't it kind of average up to the same thing? Because the 'stronger' and or 'better minded' continue to thrive, are they not given certain privileges and rights?
no

They do better than the things around them. That does not grant rights (which are supposedly innate privileges). You may wish to see "Hume's Guillotine".

Modern biology. By which I mean modern medicine. It isn't as though we're seeing mutation in view of the mainstream consciousness or anything like that...

Symmetric Chaos

No one invented evolution. It was discovered.

I'd say it's more important to mention that not everything Darwin believed about evolution is still relevant to scientists that study it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No one invented evolution. It was discovered.

I'd say it's more important to mention that not everything Darwin believed about evolution is still relevant to scientists that study it.

Good. That mean Darwin could have been a nut case, and it has nothing to do with evolution.

inimalist
Good. That mean Darwin could have been a nut case, and it has nothing to do with evolution.

Look at Francis Galton or James Watson

hugely important to the understanding of heredity and genetics, but both pretty blatantly racist

Or Ava Lovelace, the worlds first modder and hacker, was a woman of all things

Mindship
Darwin wasn't perfect? Go figger.

jaden101
I find it odd that he claims scientists hold Darwin in the pinnacle of esteem in terms of recognising and referencing previous science when the fact of the matter is that the dominant reason why Darwin keeps being debated is because critics of evolution keep bringing his 250 year old findings up time and time again (usually misunderstood and completely dismissive of any genetics or evolutionary science done since Darwin) in some odd attempt to use 250 year old science as a means to disprove modern scientific theories and research.

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
I find it odd that he claims scientists hold Darwin in the pinnacle of esteem in terms of recognising and referencing previous science when the fact of the matter is that the dominant reason why Darwin keeps being debated is because critics of evolution keep bringing his 250 year old findings up time and time again (usually misunderstood and completely dismissive of any genetics or evolutionary science done since Darwin) in some odd attempt to use 250 year old science as a means to disprove modern scientific theories and research. That seems like a hundred too much.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42
That seems like a hundred too much.

You seem like a hundred too gay.

POW right in the kisser.

Or something.

Yes, i'm drunk.

Bardock42
You seem like a hundred too gay.

POW right in the kisser.

Or something.

Yes, i'm drunk. And Scottish.

What a surprise.

jaden101
And Scottish.

What a surprise.

Name the 1 European nation that drinks more than the Scots?

Bardock42
Name the 1 European nation that drinks more than the Scots?

The Vatican?

Dr. Leg Kick
Luxembourg

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
Or Ava Lovelace, the worlds first modder and hacker, was a woman of all things

Where do you find this strange/unique information? The first computer programmer? No and yes, depends on the definition you use. First hacker? No. Modder? Possibly yes...but it wasn't modding at all. It was improving/adding to a design that wasn't made yet at the request/behest of Babbage (SP?) (So technically not modding at all...in the sense that you mean it.)

And the first programmer would be difficult to pin down. People were writing "useless" algorithms for well more than a thousand years (possibly more). Part of that algorithm writing came "input validation" where the algorithms were checked for weaknesses or errors. Those would truly be the first programmers. (There were mathematicians that wrote many lengthy algorithms that had lots of logic that would be best suited for a programmer.) There were machines that did stuff and were programmable, not doubt. Those were true "computers" and "software."

The real credit goes to an Arab. His name escapes me and I don't feel like looking it up. His name sounds/looks like the TV network Aljazeera...but I remember it being spelled differently. (That sounds like ignorant racism. sad That's not what I mean it to be. )

inimalist
it was a joke

dadudemon
it was a joke To the topic, yes, it was a joke.

However, the substance of the sentence itself was what I addressed, not the larger point of your post being in jest to another's post.

Unless you mean "it" as the comment about her being the first modder and hacker, then I can see what you mean. I can see that being a joke.Then I would wonder why you referred to it as singular "it" and have to conclude that it does not refer to "modder" and "hacker" but to your post as a whole, which brings me back to the first sentence I typed in this post.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
Where do you find this strange/unique information? The first computer programmer? No and yes, depends on the definition you use. First hacker? No. Modder? Possibly yes...but it wasn't modding at all. It was improving/adding to a design that wasn't made yet at the request/behest of Babbage (SP?) (So technically not modding at all...in the sense that you mean it.)

And the first programmer would be difficult to pin down. People were writing "useless" algorithms for well more than a thousand years (possibly more). Part of that algorithm writing came "input validation" where the algorithms were checked for weaknesses or errors. Those would truly be the first programmers. (There were mathematicians that wrote many lengthy algorithms that had lots of logic that would be best suited for a programmer.) There were machines that did stuff and were programmable, not doubt. Those were true "computers" and "software."

The real credit goes to an Arab. His name escapes me and I don't feel like looking it up. His name sounds/looks like the TV network Aljazeera...but I remember it being spelled differently. (That sounds like ignorant racism. sad That's not what I mean it to be. ) It really depends where you draw the line, it's perfectly fine for him to draw it here, especially since it was done in pursuit of a joke. I am sure that him saying "Ada Lovelance, a 19th century "scientist" who wrote an explanation of Charles Babbage's mechanical "computer" although not the first in a line of people creating algorithms to solve problems, and also having never had them truly tested during her lifetime, was a woman" would have had the same impact though.

Anyways, it made sense "pioneer of science - character flaw".

dadudemon
It really depends where you draw the line, it's perfectly fine for him to draw it here, especially since it was done in pursuit of a joke. I am sure that him saying "Ada Lovelance, a 19th century "scientist" who wrote an explanation of Charles Babbage's mechanical "computer" although not the first in a line of people creating algorithms to solve problems, and also having never had them truly tested during her lifetime, was a woman" would have had the same impact though.

Anyways, it made sense "pioneer of science - character flaw".

Did you catch the edit in my last post or something? I deleted it real quick...but I did mention something to the effect of, "I may be missing something, as usual, that Bardock caught and could explain."

Not odd at all, in a good way, that you chimed in with your take, even if you didn't see my original post before the edit.

But, yes, the actual joke was not the point of "reply post."

Adam_PoE
Ava Lovelace, the worlds first modder and hacker, was a woman of all things

Alan Turing, who developed the modern computer, is gay; and Lynn Conway, who invented the modern microchip, is transgender.

inimalist
whats with all the cripples in computer science?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Alan Turing, who developed the modern computer, is gay; and Lynn Conway, who invented the modern microchip, is transgender.

Reminds of this silly protester....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z238/dadudemon/lulz.jpg

PENIS-ENVY
][

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.