Trendsetting in Videogames

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snafu the Great
Most people don't know it, but videogames have been setting trends since the days of Nintendo. Trends that other games seem to follow.

I've compiled a list of these trends for you to compare (and probably dispute)

1. Ryu (Street Fighter): Original hero. Desires to be the best in the world. First person to rock the headband. Other memorable people who rock the headband are Yuri Sakazaki, Liu Kang, Akira Yuki, and Joe Higashi.

2. Ken Masters: First halvsie (person with Japanese heritage) character. Other half-Japanese characters are Ryo and Yuri Sakazaki, Benimaru Nikaido, Hitomi, Aya Brea, and Lars Alexandersson.

3. Chun Li: First female fighter. Nuff said.

4. Sagat and Adon: first Muay Thai practicioners.

5. Kim Dragon (World Heroes): First character based off of Bruce Lee (despite the fact that Kim is Korean). Liu Kang, Fei Long and Marshall Law followed.

6. Johnny Cage: Not much on him, but he was the first guy to rock a pair of shades. Other characters soon followed rocking the shades, such as Albert Wesker, Liquid Ocelot, Duke Nukem, even Kazuya Mishima and Cloud Strife.

This is off the top of my head. Feel free to add on more.

AsbestosFlaygon
7. Kratos: The Chuck Norris of the video gaming world... a trend in himself.

Tha C-Master
Lol, no that's Duke Nukem, although Duke Nukem is beyond either. stick out tongue He's just that badass.

First_Tsurugi06
Duke Nukem's the Steven Segal of video games.

Bit the shit before he started and never deserved the recognition in the first place.

-Pr-
Damn ryu stealing shit from Rambo... sad

Ms.Marvel
the completely silent protagonist. no dialogue or anything.

i dont know who did that first though stick out tongue

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
Most people don't know it, but videogames have been setting trends since the days of Nintendo. Trends that other games seem to follow.

1. Ryu (Street Fighter): Original hero. Desires to be the best in the world. First person to rock the headband. Other memorable people who rock the headband are Yuri Sakazaki, Liu Kang, Akira Yuki, and Joe Higashi.

2. Ken Masters: First halvsie (person with Japanese heritage) character. Other half-Japanese characters are Ryo and Yuri Sakazaki, Benimaru Nikaido, Hitomi, Aya Brea, and Lars Alexandersson.

5. Kim Dragon (World Heroes): First character based off of Bruce Lee (despite the fact that Kim is Korean). Liu Kang, Fei Long and Marshall Law followed.

6. Johnny Cage: Not much on him, but he was the first guy to rock a pair of shades. Other characters soon followed rocking the shades, such as Albert Wesker, Liquid Ocelot, Duke Nukem, even Kazuya Mishima and Cloud Strife.

Epic Wrong!

Watch an old kung fu movie call Master of the Flying Guillotine and Blood Sport...that's where the inspiration came from.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
Duke Nukem's the Steven Segal of video games.

Bit the shit before he started and never deserved the recognition in the first place. Or rather revolutionized shooter games and was in the book of world records, he didn't ever make that sequel though.

So no he is the Chuck Norris of videogames, he's just that badass. Even moreso, don't believe me, do a google search and check the polls. wink

NemeBro
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
the completely silent protagonist. no dialogue or anything.

i dont know who did that first though stick out tongue Pong. To my knowledge, those paddles have never spoken.

Also, Duke Nukem is a f@ggot.

Tha C-Master
Thems fightin' words...Originally posted by NemeBro
This says otherwise... wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_9zp8drg6I&feature=related

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NemeBro

Meeeeooowww!

Tha C-Master
dAwbzf9WdE4

He shits down the necks of the competition. Game over!!! 2guns wink

AsbestosFlaygon
Duke Nukem is ghey..
He even looks like one.

_5YBl0QJERQ

Duke Nukem gets the same treatment @ 1:58

Phanteros
Viewtiful Joe: Henshin of videogames
Prince Of persia: Time powers as story plot.
Altair: Parkour man

Zack Fair
Pre-Rendered backgrounds and CGI cutscenes galore - FF7, RE.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by NemeBro
Duke Nukem is a f@ggot.

Duke Nukem is about as gay as Matt Hazard.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Duke Nukem is ghey..
He even looks like one.

_5YBl0QJERQ

Duke Nukem gets the same treatment @ 1:58 Duke shrinks him... Kratos is the one wearing a skirt after all. no expression

I actually don't mind Kratos. But when people who like Anime/Manga predominately (and a lot of their main characters act "gay"wink and say Duke is gay is just ironic. Duke is really based off of Western America's accumulation of characters a parody/icon of the stereotype. He's the exemplar of manliess and machismo, it's what he does. Didn't know he had a group of haters lurking here. Actually I think Nemebro said some stuff about it on my forum.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3515/3820033378_96d939ae49.jpg

Kratos can't claim to have banged Lara, now can he?

jinXed by JaNx

You're suggesting these as setting trends only in the video game universe right?

MadMel
Originally posted by Phanteros
Viewtiful Joe: Henshin of videogames
Altair: Parkour man
im not sure about viewtiful joe, but POP and altair werent the first of either of those trends erm

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Tha C-Master

Well, Duke can CLAIM all he wants but it doesnt make it true. The only thing that we can know for certain is that in the end, Duke was retired because he couldn't get it up stick out tongue

Kazenji
Ahhh the other meaning for gay i think people mean for Duke Nukem

Gay = Uncool

Snafu the Great
Another trend - good guys going bad, which I had covered in an earlier thread.

1. Ryu Hayabusa had to rescue his brainwashed father in the Original Trilogy.
2. Ryu went on a Dark Hadou Trip
3. Ken became a Shadowlaw stooge
4. Kyo had to rescue his brainwashed father
5. Half of the Mortal Kombat cast went bad following Deadly Alliance
6. Kyle Travers had to rescue his Glow-happy older brother
7. Cammy White was a Shadowlaw assassin before hooking up with Delta Red...although she did it in reverse given how Street Fighter was released.
8. Jill Valentine went blonde and kicked Chris Redfield's ass to the moon.

You think Wesker was the first person to come up with that seven-minute rule in RE5? He got the idea from the Sega classic The Revenge of Shinobi, in which Joe Musashi has to kill the last boss before his old lady gets squashed by the descending ceiling.

And God of War was the first game to come up with the context-sensitive minigames.

AsbestosFlaygon

Too bad.

Duke Nukem never had sex with Lara. Just some fanboy wish.

Kratos done it with 4 hotties (2 in GoW, another 2 in GoW2).. not to mention hundreds more when he was the Ghost of Sparta.

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.media/bewbs.JPG

Kratos doesn't give a flying f*** even if you're a King...
he doesn't give a damn about gold and riches..
If he wants you dead, you better be ready. Nothing's more bada$$ than that.

hciU7XbPf6U

Ms.Marvel
kratos sucks though.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
kratos sucks though.

In what way ?

Tha C-Master
Too bad.

Duke Nukem never had sex with Lara. Just some fanboy wish.

Kratos done it with 4 hotties (2 in GoW, another 2 in GoW2).. not to mention hundreds more when he was the Ghost of Sparta.

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.media/bewbs.JPG

Kratos doesn't give a flying f*** even if you're a King...
he doesn't give a damn about gold and riches..
If he wants you dead, you better be ready. Nothing's more bada$$ than that.

hciU7XbPf6U Lara was the one bragging about it. Check Duke: Time to kill...

You didn't see my Operation: Repopulation vid where he has sex with every chick on the planet?

Duke is the King and he has unlimited amounts of money. Those alien bastards better pay for shooting up his ride, and it is time to kickass and chew bubble gum, and he's all out of gum.

Plus he kicks the ass out of the Ventrillo WOW nerds. evil face

IE3KdcTgrno

Kratos ain't that cool yet.

AsbestosFlaygon
Lara was the one bragging about it. Check Duke: Time to kill...

You didn't see my Operation: Repopulation vid where he has sex with every chick on the planet?

Duke is the King and he has unlimited amounts of money. Those alien bastards better pay for shooting up his ride, and it is time to kickass and chew bubble gum, and he's all out of gum.

Plus he kicks the ass out of the Ventrillo WOW nerds. evil face

Kratos ain't that cool yet.
Money? Haha.
That's the least most important factor of 'cool'.

Like I said, Kratos don't even give a damn about money.

He kills helpless people casually throughout the game.. man, woman or child..
Duke Nukem isn't man enough to do that.

Tha C-Master
Money? Haha.
That's the least most important factor of 'cool'.

Like I said, Kratos don't even give a damn about money.

He kills helpless people casually throughout the game.. man, woman or child..
Duke Nukem isn't man enough to do that. Duke has infinite amounts of money for no reason at all, that's cool.

Kratos is a bum of course he doesn't need it. stick out tongue Not that Duke does either.

Killing children is cool? Duke has killed women, when he needs to. Doesn't do it often as he uses them for the real purpose. Kratos couldn't get anyone to sleep with him without force. stick out tongue Duke kills giant badasses with missles attached to them and has access WMD's.

Of course there is Duke Talk.

He's even the man in rendering.

VRnv_tFKStQ

Snafu the Great
Most people don't know about this, but Capcom released a NES game called Sweet Home, which Resident Evil 1 was inspired from (i.e., the mansion, multiple endings, etc...)

Metroid - first game that allowed open exploration (a formula later followed by The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania: SotN and every other RPG)

Some more firsts:

Kim Kaphwan - First TKD fighter.
Mai Shiranui - The ORIGINAL bouncy kunoichi. Respect!
Richard Meyer (Fatal Fury) - First Capoeira fighter.
Elena - First female Capoeira fighter
Lei Wulong - First fighter based off of Jackie Chan

Ryu and Ken also perfected the rivalry, a trend seen in many videogames.

And as I've said in a separate thread, Wolfenstein 3D was the grandaddy of first-person shooters. Without Wolfenstein, there would be no Doom, no Halo, no Call of Duty, and no Duke Nukem.

I've also checked out the Duke Nukem-Kratos debate on this form, and as much as I like Duke, IMO, Kratos holds the advantage.

1. He's Spartan, possibly the hardest Spartan this side of Leonidas.

2. He's been killed twice (via impalement) by his half brother and father, and came back from Hades.

3. Hacked and slashed his way through Hades on three separate occasions.

4. Saved the world from a spiteful Goddess and her Titan sidekick (Persephone and Atlas) at the cost of losing his own daughter.

5. Became a God (he probably boned Aphrodite before invading Rhodes).

6. Killed two gods (Athena inadvertantly) and is now taking a shot a Zeus's title.

7. Survived Pandora's Temple (which is a b!tch on God Mode) and the Island of the Fates (which is even worse on Titan Mode), and changed his own fate.

8. Took down Greek mythology's most memorable monsters and heroes...and landmarks (The Hydra, Perseus, Theseus, The Colossus of Rhodes)

Kratos is a lot like Conan when it comes to women - he is pretty much like 'Let me kill these minotaurs and then we'll screw,' and the women in the GoW universe pretty much swoon over stuff like that.

Of course, we all know that Zeus is the pimp of pimps.

Snafu the Great
I never realized that Vega (Balrog) was a trendsetter.

Or more specifically, his trademark move, the Izuna Drop.

Both Guy and Ryu Hayabusa saw that the move was so awesome that they both adopted it as their own.

Tha C-Master
Most people don't know about this, but Capcom released a NES game called Sweet Home, which Resident Evil 1 was inspired from (i.e., the mansion, multiple endings, etc...)

Metroid - first game that allowed open exploration (a formula later followed by The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania: SotN and every other RPG)

Some more firsts:

Kim Kaphwan - First TKD fighter.
Mai Shiranui - The ORIGINAL bouncy kunoichi. Respect!
Richard Meyer (Fatal Fury) - First Capoeira fighter.
Elena - First female Capoeira fighter
Lei Wulong - First fighter based off of Jackie Chan

Ryu and Ken also perfected the rivalry, a trend seen in many videogames.

And as I've said in a separate thread, Wolfenstein 3D was the grandaddy of first-person shooters. Without Wolfenstein, there would be no Doom, no Halo, no Call of Duty, and no Duke Nukem.

I've also checked out the Duke Nukem-Kratos debate on this form, and as much as I like Duke, IMO, Kratos holds the advantage.

1. He's Spartan, possibly the hardest Spartan this side of Leonidas.

2. He's been killed twice (via impalement) by his half brother and father, and came back from Hades.

3. Hacked and slashed his way through Hades on three separate occasions.

4. Saved the world from a spiteful Goddess and her Titan sidekick (Persephone and Atlas) at the cost of losing his own daughter.

5. Became a God (he probably boned Aphrodite before invading Rhodes).

6. Killed two gods (Athena inadvertantly) and is now taking a shot a Zeus's title.

7. Survived Pandora's Temple (which is a b!tch on God Mode) and the Island of the Fates (which is even worse on Titan Mode), and changed his own fate.

8. Took down Greek mythology's most memorable monsters and heroes...and landmarks (The Hydra, Perseus, Theseus, The Colossus of Rhodes)

Kratos is a lot like Conan when it comes to women - he is pretty much like 'Let me kill these minotaurs and then we'll screw,' and the women in the GoW universe pretty much swoon over stuff like that.

Of course, we all know that Zeus is the pimp of pimps.
Yea, but Duke single handedly took an alien invasion on with weapons and wit, not to mention he's practically immortal.

He saved the entire planet several times doing missions above water, and in the sky. Has access to an arsneal of normal and alien tech, including wmd's and molecule altering guns, along with a jetpack and can simply use roids for a powerup.

Gods and all of that aren't as big as a deal in fiction as they are in real life. Take the ones in Marvel and MK, they get trounced all of the time. Duke takes a lot more than impalement to kill.

He saved Earth AND space, the west, medieval times, *and* Rome (closest to Kratos' time). Kratos could never claim to that. I do like both characters though.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Phanteros

I think Blinx did that before. Probably others. I'm not that well versed in Video Game History.

This thread seems pretty directionless though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.