Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morridini
A new Prince of Persia game titled The Forgotten Sands was announced today. And surprise, surprise, not a sequel to the newest PoP game, but a third sequel to the Sands of Time.

So far all the info is simply the name, the fact that it is part of the Sands series, and that it will be released in May 2010, alongside the movie.

We'll apparently get to see a trailer during the VGA on December 12th.

Sources:
http://epicbattleaxe.com/new-prince-of-persia-title-announced/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6241572.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

S_D_J
Sounds good

AsbestosFlaygon
Sands of Time was one of the best, if not the best, game titles in the franchise...

Looking forward to this.

Morridini
Only worrysome thing is that we haven't heard of it before now, a mere six months before release.

Smasandian
If I remember correctly, that was how the last Prince of Persia was announced.

I enjoyed the last game but something was off on it, and the fact that there was game killing bug that I couldn't finish the game.

First_Tsurugi06
Ubisoft can't keep their word for shit. Next thing we know, Capcom may just up and bring Wesker back to life. Chances are it's just a spinoff though.

So long as it's not as bug-laden and/or rushed as the other two Sands of Time sequels, I'll give it a chance.

Demonic Phoenix
It'll probably be a game that takes place during an alternate timeline. Or it will retcon the two sequels which I don't want as I liked the story.

Or it'll just be the game version of the movie >__>.

First_Tsurugi06
Im kinda open for a retcon of the two sequels. The trilogy's story wasn't terrible, but the Prince and all his worth as a character, along with that of the rest of the cast, went down the crapper with Warrior Within, and only got worse from then on, and they're doing a really sh*t job ripping off the new Prince's personality in this movie, as well as the chemistry with the female lead which was great in the first SoT and PoP '08, but was comparable to a plain Jane Mary sue and a glitter-rock vampire in WW and TTT.

Besides, the SoT sequels had enough re-writes and retcons prior to their release in the first place (at least TTT did).

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Or it'll just be the game version of the movie >__>.

That's what I am thinking it will be...

First_Tsurugi06
The trailer just showed up. Judging by the appearance of the Prince, it may be a tale set between Sot and WW.

Though given that the movie's Prince has the WW outfit...

Mandrag Ganon
They showed a trailer at the VGAs, and it looks cool, but I still am not certian if it is based on the movie or not... But I'm leaning towards... not...

First_Tsurugi06
New screens from IGN

I have to say, if those are of any final buildor unless they're of a PSP port, then I'm already unimpressed by the graphics. Hell, even those undead enemies look like really cheap knock-offs of the grunt zombies in God of War.

Anyway, I read that the plot apparently takes place during the seven year gap between SoT and WW, starting out with the Prince visiting his brother. The gameplay's also said to prominently involve large-scale battles.

Smasandian
The graphics are not that bad.

But nothing special.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
New screens from IGN

I have to say, if those are of any final buildor unless they're of a PSP port, then I'm already unimpressed by the graphics. Hell, even those undead enemies look like really cheap knock-offs of the grunt zombies in God of War.

Anyway, I read that the plot apparently takes place during the seven year gap between SoT and WW, starting out with the Prince visiting his brother. The gameplay's also said to prominently involve large-scale battles.

They're not THAT bad. I mean, their not spectacular or anything, but it doesn't look like PS2 graphics or anything.

But, to be quite honest, I don't want all my games looking like this:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/102/1028016/heavy-rain-20090924004211116_640w.jpg

I kinda like the unrealistic tone it has, because, frankly, Prince of Persia is an unrealistic game.

AsbestosFlaygon
^
Heavy Rain FTW

Anyways, not really that interested in the game.. maybe just distracted from the other great titles coming this year.

Tsal Can
Ah, a between-quel. Nice

Kazenji
Games intro movie

http://www.giantbomb.com/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands-intro-movie/17-2449/

Peach
Can't wait, as it's one of the few games coming out this year that I'm interested in.

Phanteros
Can't wait either.

First_Tsurugi06
Originally posted by Kazenji
Games intro movie

http://www.giantbomb.com/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands-intro-movie/17-2449/

Still looks like crap to me.

Peach
Still looks like crap to me.

What? No it doesn't. It looks great.

First_Tsurugi06
While I will say that 'crap' was a stretch due to a bad mood that day, I still must respectfully disagree. Aside from the fact that they seemed to at least update the graphics into a more decent looking game, I've still not been convinced by what I've seen that this game could come off as being some sort of epic return to a continuity that was already degraded after each subsequent entry. The artistic direction at least seems better than WW and TTT, though I can't say that it comes all that close to PoP '08. At least they got Yuri Lowenthal to reprise the role of SoT Prince.

There's actually a playthrough on Youtube right now, and while I'll hold off any judgement based on early sections of the game, the only major-looking change from the SoT trilogy seems like the combat, which looks like a pretty bland mix of a polished Dynasty Warriors, and a poor-man's Batman Arkham Asylum. Still, it's something of a relief that the Prince himself seems more like he was in the first SoT game.

And here's the playthrough by the way.

jinXed by JaNx
After the last installment i'm officially done with this series. Fancing jumping and wall climbing can't carry the franchise through five games. The last game was gorgeous and played well, but the combat system left much to be desired. If this series still can't create an interesting combat system to go along with the aerobatics by now then they're just not trying anymore. The last game almost felt like it played itself.

Peach
For starters, this is not the fifth Prince of Persia game. It is actually the tenth game in the series, not counting the re-release of the very first one on XBL Arcade, nor the Revelations/Rival Swords ports of WW and TT. And the main point of the series has always been the jumping and wall climbing and general parkour-style acrobatics. It is first and foremost a platformer, with puzzles and combat added on. Combat has always been the least important thing in PoP. It's not meant to be very big nor important. Anyone who is familiar with the series will recognize that, regardless of what the marketing execs try to portray the game as.

For that matter, the combat is still better than a lot of games - say, Zelda. It's certainly more complex and deeper than any combat in any of those games - but you never see anyone complaining about that, even though combat is far more important and prevalent in Zelda.

And this game is completely and totally unconnected to the last game anyway, so I don't know why people keep bringing it up. It has no relevance at all.

GK and I both went to pick it up last night, don't know if we'll actually have time to give it a try today or not. Either way we'll both have (educated) opinions on it by tomorrow afternoon stick out tongue

Phanteros
I'm a major fan of the series and so far this looks like the best one yet. It rights the wrongs of 08 POP and brings back the SoT nastogic feel of the series.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by Peach
For that matter, the combat is still better than a lot of games - say, Zelda. It's certainly more complex and deeper than any combat in any of those games - but you never see anyone complaining about that, even though combat is far more important and prevalent in Zelda.

Well, to be fair to Zelda, it focuses more on the puzzle-solving and dungeon-delving aspects than the combat aspect.

However, I feel like the only one who actually liked the 1 on 1 fighting concept of PoP '08, yea, it left a lot to be desired, but when it comes down to it, I prefer fighting one more difficult enemy than plowing through fifteen painfully easy ones.

Mandrag Ganon
The thing that killed PoP '08 for me was that you couldn't die. If they didn't make it so that Elika saved you every time you almost died, I think the game would have been far better.

Zack Fair
I loved the 08 PoP. The graphics were amazing and I loved the dynamic between Elika and the prince. I was pissed when I heard they were going back to the classic prince =\

jinXed by JaNx
For starters, this is not the fifth Prince of Persia game. It is actually the tenth game in the series, not counting the re-release of the very first one on XBL Arcade, nor the Revelations/Rival Swords ports of WW and TT. And the main point of the series has always been the jumping and wall climbing and general parkour-style acrobatics. It is first and foremost a platformer, with puzzles and combat added on. Combat has always been the least important thing in PoP. It's not meant to be very big nor important. Anyone who is familiar with the series will recognize that, regardless of what the marketing execs try to portray the game as.

And this game is completely and totally unconnected to the last game anyway, so I don't know why people keep bringing it up. It has no relevance at all.

GK and I both went to pick it up last night, don't know if we'll actually have time to give it a try today or not. Either way we'll both have (educated) opinions on it by tomorrow afternoon stick out tongue

Wow, ten huh? Well, that just further proves my point. You would think that by now the series would have found a way to reproduce a winning formula. Sands of time was stunning. Every game after, Sands, has been a disappointment for me. There are genuine moments of awe to be found in this series for sure, but the repetition and lack of depth leave much to be desired.

The combat system is quaint for the first few hours but it quickly becomes an effortless chore. timed button sequences (one button kills) really isn't something i would call complex stick out tongue

I say these things only because i want to see this franchise reinvent itself because i know there is a diamond in the rough somewhere. I think this series needs to take on more RPG elements. I know the acrobatics is the most prominent aspect of this series and i really didn't mean to knock it because that portion of the gameplay is awesome. It does, however, weigh quite thin when your making the same jumps and solving the same types of puzzles game after game.

Let us know what it's like though.

Peach
Sands of Time was not the first Prince of Persia game.

QTEs only existed in one of the games, as far as I can recall. And it doesn't need RPG elements, because it's not an RPG. It's just an acrobatic platformer.

Morridini
The GameTrailers review is up, seems decent enough, nothing really special: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-prince-of/100332

I was one of the peopel who enjoyed the PoP 08, so I'm not sure when I'll ever get time to check out this one.

Sands of Time was not the first Prince of Persia game

I don't see where he ever claimed that it was.

Ms.Marvel
wow, the game looks sooo boring. sad

and the prince is uglier than usual sad

Smasandian
Even though Sands of Time was not the first, it kinda is.

Whenever somebody mentions Prince of Persia, nowadays they reference Sands of Time and not the first one from the late 80's.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian

Whenever somebody mentions Prince of Persia, nowadays they reference Sands of Time and not the first one from the late 80's.

Since when?

i know i don't.

Smasandian
That's great.

One Free Man
It looks ok. Not great though. You know what was good on the psp as far as the whole acrobatic free roaming thing goes? Assassin's creed. I was amazed at how much they were able to cram inside of that psp game.

I-Drop
Anybody reserved this? You get anything extra for reserving it?

Mandrag Ganon
Since when?

i know i don't.

Mostly people like me, who got into the series with Sands of Time.

Ushgarak
I am playing through the different Wii version right now (same name, but different game). Surprisingly good- very fast flowing, if rather lightweight. Not GREAT, but I was worried it would be a complete bust.

In fact, they've cribbed from Super Mario Galaxy, with you using the IR pointer to control things in the world and a not dissimilar co-op mode.

It's not that pretty, but it is super fast and it pre-loads everything as you play so there are no load times. I appreciate such things as much as good graphics.

General Kaliero
Having finished the 360 version rather inordinately fast...

It's a good game, but doesn't quite manage to live up to Sands of Time.

In some ways, it feels like what Warrior Within would have been without the emo cash-in attempt that so thoroughly ruined that game. The environmental puzzles have that same cleverly dangerous quality, and feel very similar. The combat is similar to that too, though obviously on a larger scale per battle. The integration of freezing water is probably the best gameplay device, which is good because the developers absolutely love it. Alternately freezing and unfreezing waterfalls into walls provides some of the best, tense runs in the game.

The combat is an interesting thing. It's deeper than SoT, more streamlined than WW and T2T, and shows obvious relation to PoP08. Standard battles average 6-12 enemies at once, and the larger encounters swing upwards of 50, even more if you're not too careful. The flow of combat takes a little getting used to, but once it clicks, you flow across the battlefield, jumping from one enemy to the next, bashing aside shields and leaping onto shoulders to dispatch from above.

The Prince himself starts out showing promise in his character, but without Farah to philosophize and quietly flirt with, or the Dark Prince to exchange witty retorts, his spirit just doesn't shine like it used to. The Prince as a character is much better when he has someone else to bounce off of, and here, where much of the game is played alone, he doesn't get the chance to show off as much as I'd like.

The story is decently told, a bit rote and obvious, and of course linear, which is standard for the series. The interactions with the Prince's brother Malik could have been much deeper, but again, it's not quite enough.

Overall, a decent game, but not on the same level as Sands of Time. Worthier addition to the series than Warrior Within, but not by much.

Kazenji
Checking out this review

-they've said all the bosses look the same just with a different skin
-when you have all these other games that have been released Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed, God of War 3 and even 2 this game does'nt really compete
-Puzzles get repetative after a while.

I-Drop
Originally posted by I-Drop
Anybody reserved this? You get anything extra for reserving it?

First_Tsurugi06
Checking out this review

-they've said all the bosses look the same just with a different skin
-when you have all these other games that have been released Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed, God of War 3 and even 2 this game does'nt really compete
-Puzzles get repetative after a while.

-Not to mention an ending that'll probably warrant a little more appreciation from the SoT fanboys who actually thought WW was the best of the trilogy and bitched about '08; this game's ending is about as suspenseful and climactic as Ninja Gaiden's. Actually, at least NG1 and NG2 had post-credits scenes. This game thinks it can get off from that just because it's an interquel (or in this particular case, a cash-in-terquel). I'm hard-pressed to say this even competes with TTT.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to resume awaiting word on a PoP '08 sequel.

Mandrag Ganon
-Not to mention an ending that'll probably warrant a little more appreciation from the SoT fanboys who actually thought WW was the best of the trilogy and bitched about '08; this game's ending is about as suspenseful and climactic as Ninja Gaiden's. Actually, at least NG1 and NG2 had post-credits scenes. This game thinks it can get off from that just because it's an interquel (or in this particular case, a cash-in-terquel). I'm hard-pressed to say this even competes with TTT.

It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't the best PoP either, I kinda feel like they just wanted to get a "Sands of Time" game out around the same time as the movie, banking on people liking the movie and wanting to play the game.

I-Drop
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Having finished the 360 version rather inordinately fast...

It's a good game, but doesn't quite manage to live up to Sands of Time.

In some ways, it feels like what Warrior Within would have been without the emo cash-in attempt that so thoroughly ruined that game. The environmental puzzles have that same cleverly dangerous quality, and feel very similar. The combat is similar to that too, though obviously on a larger scale per battle. The integration of freezing water is probably the best gameplay device, which is good because the developers absolutely love it. Alternately freezing and unfreezing waterfalls into walls provides some of the best, tense runs in the game.

The combat is an interesting thing. It's deeper than SoT, more streamlined than WW and T2T, and shows obvious relation to PoP08. Standard battles average 6-12 enemies at once, and the larger encounters swing upwards of 50, even more if you're not too careful. The flow of combat takes a little getting used to, but once it clicks, you flow across the battlefield, jumping from one enemy to the next, bashing aside shields and leaping onto shoulders to dispatch from above.

The Prince himself starts out showing promise in his character, but without Farah to philosophize and quietly flirt with, or the Dark Prince to exchange witty retorts, his spirit just doesn't shine like it used to. The Prince as a character is much better when he has someone else to bounce off of, and here, where much of the game is played alone, he doesn't get the chance to show off as much as I'd like.

The story is decently told, a bit rote and obvious, and of course linear, which is standard for the series. The interactions with the Prince's brother Malik could have been much deeper, but again, it's not quite enough.

Overall, a decent game, but not on the same level as Sands of Time. Worthier addition to the series than Warrior Within, but not by much. Better than the one they made w/the new prince tho, right?

Bardock42
Just finished this. I liked it quite a bit, the platforming is very fast and intuitive.

It's pretty short I guess I took maybe 6 hours to finish it, but I don't mind so much, was worth it really.

It seems also like they could have had more extras rather than two very similar fighting challenges and a costume. I also wish they had a chapter selection.

But all in all I enjoyed it a lot. Could do with another one of those.

Smasandian
I didn't mind it either. Nothing really new but it was a well made game and quite enjoyable.

Morridini
I've forgot, is this a retail or Aracde game?

Smasandian
Retail.

Kazenji
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine

I liked that PoP 08 game shame they still did'nt finish off the story even with the DLC.

Bardock42
For starters, this is not the fifth Prince of Persia game. It is actually the tenth game in the series.

Which ones do you count? I'd say it's the 8th in the main series.

PoP, PoP2, PoP3D, PoP SoT, PoP WW, PoP TTT, PoP and PoP TFS.

I guess you count Battles and Fallen King...hmm, nevermind then you are right.

red sabre
the prince of persia games are the best, Sands of Time is the best in the series but i still love the forgoten sands very much, prince of persia are the best games out there cant copmpete with that

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.