Any Mathmaticians Out There?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Leg Kick
It's actually a chemistry problem focusing on galvanic cells, and working with redox equations but I only need help on the last part with the math. Either the professor gave us the wrong answer or I'm doing something wrong.

Haven't taken Calculus in a while, can't remember steps. Do I inverse both sides? Any help would be appreciated.

0.711 = 0.679 - 0.0257/6 ln

I'm not asking for answer, just how to get to it.

King Kandy
What are you trying to do, solve for x?

If that's the case, I think you'd subtract 0.679 from both sides, divide both sides by 0.0257/6, then put both sides as exponents of e, removing the natural log. Then it's easy to solve.

Dr. Leg Kick
Sovling for x. Not sure if this is right though. The x exponent for e is what I'm having trouble with.

King Kandy
e^ln(x)=x

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by King Kandy
e^ln(x)=x I got that part, but it's this that I can't remember how to do.

e^(x)^2/(0.10)^3

edit: nevermind, i see what you're saying.

edit: Got the answer. I appreciate the help King. thumb up

Answer: 7.5 x 10^4

Which is the concentration I needed to find the Ksp for InF3.

Ms.Marvel
im not sure if its pathetic that i have no idea what youre talking about. no expression

BackFire
Don't fret, I don't either.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by BackFire
Don't fret, I don't either. Hope you're watching the Kings games man. Haven't had a season like this in a while. Was thinking about getting tickets after finals.

King Kandy
Don't hesitate to ask any more questions. After implicit differentiation and related rates (ugh) this seemed easy. Man I can't wait for calculus to be over.

AsbestosFlaygon
Man, i hate math

BackFire
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Hope you're watching the Kings games man. Haven't had a season like this in a while. Was thinking about getting tickets after finals.

Absolutely. Watched them beat the Ducks tonight. Quick made some amazing saves.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick

0.711 = 0.679 - 0.0257/6 ln

well if someone can tell me what a "n [(x)^ " is, and wtf this is all about I might be able to help and learn something as wellsmile

eek!

GCG
why are you using ^ instead of * ? blink

Dr. Leg Kick
Don't hesitate to ask any more questions. After implicit differentiation and related rates (ugh) this seemed easy. Man I can't wait for calculus to be over. Finished Calc II a year in a half ago. Barely got a B in the class. Very boring stuff.

Originally posted by BackFire
Absolutely. Watched them beat the Ducks tonight. Quick made some amazing saves. Ya, I never heard of Quick before this season. He's doing well. Also glad we have Smyth on the team.

Blinky
How is that a Calculus problem? I see no differentiation or integration required. That looks like a college algebra problem.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Blinky
That looks like a college algebra problem. Really?

Blinky
Originally posted by JacopeX
Really?

Yeah really. Last time I had a problem that said "solve for X" it was probably in Pre-Calc, many years ago. I took 3 semesters of Calc, differential equations and Numerical Analysis - not once did I ever get a problem where I had to simply solve for X.

King Kandy
That's true, this does not require anything more than algebra.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by Blinky
How is that a Calculus problem? I see no differentiation or integration required. That looks like a college algebra problem. I remember using the function tons in calculus, maybe that's why I thought it was a calc problem.

That's true, this does not require anything more than algebra. Again, thanks for the help.

Bardock42
I see you solved this already, but for the future Wolfram Alpha can actually solve such things for you, and show you the steps in between.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.711+%3D+0.679+-+0.0257/6+ln+

Dr. Leg Kick
Just got back from the exam. The electrochemistry and thermodynamics portion I did well, the thermochem was a bit more difficult.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I see you solved this already, but for the future Wolfram Alpha can actually solve such things for you, and show you the steps in between.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.711+%3D+0.679+-+0.0257/6+ln+ Good to know about this. Thank you.

King Kandy
That doesn't really show how the result was gained though. Though I suppose future versions might.

PENIS-ENVY
okmngfd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.