Mark Millar's next project - "Nemesis"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophía
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23934

http://comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1259885401.jpg

Ultra-violent story based on popular concepts. Very..nice.

Kris Blaze
This has potential.

H. S. 6
I'm excited. Millar is nearly always a hit for me.

BruceSkywalker
i cannot wait to buy this

Battlehammer
Looks pritty cool, though I am kinda dispointed were not getting more of the Old man Logan universe such potential, not to mention a pre story of how everyone died in that universe would be awesome. Thor scene would have been so bad ass.

so is this jsut about that one guy in the picture?

WickedDynamite
It's just missing the "HAHAHA" and the ears....how friggin creative?

H. S. 6
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
It's just missing the "HAHAHA" and the ears....how friggin creative?

Isn't that the point? It's meant to be an allusion, I believe.

Kazenji
So issue 1 is out

whats the verdict?

Galan007
Despite the rather poor "professional" reviews I've read about this issue, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story seems sound thus far, the art is superb, most of the scenes were brutal as hell, and the main antagonist radiates sheer "win". What more can you ask for?

H. S. 6
I thought it was a good start. I have to say, though, McNiven's art looks good, but it doesn't seem to be up-to-par with his best stuff. Maybe it's the inker.

Galan007
I thought the art fit the story's 'grittiness' quite nicely.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Galan007
Despite the rather poor "professional" reviews I've read about this issue, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story seems sound thus far, the art is superb, most of the scenes were brutal as hell, and the main antagonist radiates sheer "win". What more can you ask for? an ounce of originality, for one. confused

Galan007
Originally posted by Starscream M
an ounce of originality, for one. confused Huh? I can't think of any other comics with the same first issue premise.

Starscream M
Huh? I can't think of any other issues that have started out the same way this did. not exactly the same...but I meant the main villain doesn't seem too original too me

he has the personality of heath ledger's joker and by physical appearances, the phyiscal prowess of a peak human street leveler

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its a bad comic by any means though

Galan007
I'm not saying its a bad comic by any means though thumb up

BruceSkywalker
read the first issue..

great graphic violence

Original Smurph
he has the personality of heath ledger's joker and by physical appearances, the phyiscal prowess of a peak human street leveler
Sounds original to me.

Besides, I was the the impression that the whole premise was "What if Batman was Joker?"... so it seems to have hit the mark anyways.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Sounds original to me.

Besides, I was the the impression that the whole premise was "What if Batman was Joker?"... so it seems to have hit the mark anyways.

thumb up

I'm fairly sure the lack of originality is at least partially intentional.

Philosophía
This was pretty terrible.

Galan007

Philosophía
Why do you feel it was a bad read, Phil? Insert unoriginal ideea.

Insert blood.

Insert violence.

Have the hero/villain do/say something liek totally awesome!!

Repeat.

=Nemesis.

Galan007
I thought the villain showed some great promise, tbh. As Smurph said, he's essentially Joker with Batman's body. I'm interested in seeing where they go with him in future issues.

Regardless, I think it will be a better series then "Kick-Ass" (not like that's hard, though.) ermm

Starscream M
As Smurph said, he's essentially Joker with Batman's body. Actually, I said that. no expression

Philosophía
You two are easy to confuse.

Galan007
Actually, I said that. no expression So did Smurph:Originally posted by Original Smurph
Besides, I was the the impression that the whole premise was "What if Batman was Joker?"

Starscream M
So did Smurph: I said it first. I should've been credited. I feel jipped. no expression

Galan007
I said it first. I should've been credited. I feel jipped. no expression Sorry. If it weren't already to late to edit my post.... Well, I still wouldn't edit it, tbh.

But you're right, you did say it first. thumb up

willRules
Just read the first issue. Not Millar or Mcniven's best work but by no means terrible either. Had a lot of drama and suspense and a lot of the balls to the wall action that makes Millar one of the best writers in the industry.

Millar is one of the best writers in the industry and as always his work is good but I have a few minor complaints.

Firstly, the plot. It's a fun concept and Millar has ran with this sort of thing before (people keep referring to the Batman/Joker metaphor but for me this is very similar to Wanted) but it better pick up the pace. I don't want another few issues focusing purely on the conflict between the Villain and the Washington Commissioner. It's been nicely established, so hopefully it will move forward and take new directions. We all know that the Villain is a super badass who could kill him and as fun as it is to up the ante, unless we see a super "hero" come or something crawling out the woodwork or some sort of left turn, this could get very stale by issue 3 or 4.

My second quibble is the excessive violence. Again this was a trope of Wanted. It suited the bombastic, rape, shoot, kill and rape some more vibe of that comic but I can quickly see myself growing bored with this. Millar is a master of the comic form. His run on Ultimates is my favourite comic series, ever, bar none. There was plenty of action and it was justified. Heck I could even buy hack and slashness of Old Man Logan. I don't have a problem with lots of violence. But I want some substance as well.

Thirdly, the dialogue. I usually love Millar's dialogue. he writes in a way that often leaves some cool, witty or touching remark that projects coolness off the page. It worked really well in Ultimates and especially in Ultimate X-men. It sucked in Kick Ass and in Nemesis it was a step back on form. However his Nemesis could easily have the exact same voice here of Wesley Gibson of Wanted. There's even a little of his Ultimate Magneto seeping through from Ultimate X-men. Again, something we've seen before.
Don't get me wrong. This is by no means a bad comic. Plus, it's Millar, he wrote my favourite comic. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and look forward to future issues. My only complaints are minor and can be simply summed up. I want Millar to stretch his creative legs again. This is starting to feel like a rehash of his favourite idea; focusing on the villains. He looked at it from one angle in Wanted, the same concept from another angle in Old Man Logan and the same concept from another angle in 1985. Now Nemesis seems to be a new slant on this same concept again.

I want him to push the creative boat out a little bit and not just in terms of violence and swearing.

Original Smurph

Galan007
I will probably be in the minority but I enjoyed the second issue quite a bit. The premise and villain remain fairly straight forward, but still peak my interest.

Bentley
Interesting discussions, what are the "profesional" veredicts on the second one?

roughrider
Originally posted by willRules
Just read the first issue. Not Millar or Mcniven's best work but by no means terrible either. Had a lot of drama and suspense and a lot of the balls to the wall action that makes Millar one of the best writers in the industry.

Millar is one of the best writers in the industry and as always his work is good but I have a few minor complaints.

Firstly, the plot. It's a fun concept and Millar has ran with this sort of thing before (people keep referring to the Batman/Joker metaphor but for me this is very similar to Wanted) but it better pick up the pace. I don't want another few issues focusing purely on the conflict between the Villain and the Washington Commissioner. It's been nicely established, so hopefully it will move forward and take new directions. We all know that the Villain is a super badass who could kill him and as fun as it is to up the ante, unless we see a super "hero" come or something crawling out the woodwork or some sort of left turn, this could get very stale by issue 3 or 4.

My second quibble is the excessive violence. Again this was a trope of Wanted. It suited the bombastic, rape, shoot, kill and rape some more vibe of that comic but I can quickly see myself growing bored with this. Millar is a master of the comic form. His run on Ultimates is my favourite comic series, ever, bar none. There was plenty of action and it was justified. Heck I could even buy hack and slashness of Old Man Logan. I don't have a problem with lots of violence. But I want some substance as well.

Thirdly, the dialogue. I usually love Millar's dialogue. he writes in a way that often leaves some cool, witty or touching remark that projects coolness off the page. It worked really well in Ultimates and especially in Ultimate X-men. It sucked in Kick Ass and in Nemesis it was a step back on form. However his Nemesis could easily have the exact same voice here of Wesley Gibson of Wanted. There's even a little of his Ultimate Magneto seeping through from Ultimate X-men. Again, something we've seen before.
Don't get me wrong. This is by no means a bad comic. Plus, it's Millar, he wrote my favourite comic. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and look forward to future issues. My only complaints are minor and can be simply summed up. I want Millar to stretch his creative legs again. This is starting to feel like a rehash of his favourite idea; focusing on the villains. He looked at it from one angle in Wanted, the same concept from another angle in Old Man Logan and the same concept from another angle in 1985. Now Nemesis seems to be a new slant on this same concept again.

I want him to push the creative boat out a little bit and not just in terms of violence and swearing.

So you're saying - Millar works best when he's somewhat kept on the straight and narrow of doing a book in mainstream Marvel. Get him to Marvel's indie ICON imprint, or another indie publisher, and he gets too far over the top with his freedom?

willRules
Originally posted by roughrider
So you're saying - Millar works best when he's somewhat kept on the straight and narrow of doing a book in mainstream Marvel. Get him to Marvel's indie ICON imprint, or another indie publisher, and he gets too far over the top with his freedom?

More or less, yes. I mean this in a very generalised way but his talent lies in being cool and bringing the shock factor. If it's some creator owned or obscure indie character, potentialy it could be brilliant but obviously, I'm gonna care more about Spider-man or Captain America as I've had years of emotional investment in them, so when Millar has Spider-man unmask in Civil War #2 (forgetting retcons out of his control) it's that much more shocking than an unknon character doing something.

roughrider
I haven't been that curious about Nemesis. I did enjoy Kick-Ass and Wanted for their shock value, but yeah I think his work at regular Marvel & the Ultimateverse has been his best.

willRules
I agree yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.