Do you think that SW tech doesn't go far enough?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr Will Hatch
I mean, they have some amazing adavances and are far beyond us in many stages of development, but it seems like they just stopped caring at some. Aside from superweapons like the Death Star and the Sun Crusher, the modern Star Wars era has almost zero technological progress.

Major Valerian
I suppose there is point where civilizations just reach their limit. This might be the case.

Or just George Lucas not giving a rat's ass.

truejedi
it is a tad like Firefly in some places. which was awesome.

One Free Man
what are you supposed to do after you reach beam weapons with virtually unlimited supplies of ammo and ships that can reach the far stretches of the galaxy in seconds. sheesh.

Autokrat
The lack of genetic engineering is what always bugged me... and the life expectancy of humans. Why isn't it way higher?

Lord Lucien
I just always assumed that it was fiction and people should quit b*tching about all the make believe.

truejedi
considering they can heal absolutely ANYTHING. and replace ANYTHING. (see the guy from the Millenium Falcon novel) life expectency should be infinite.

Lord Lucien
Can they regrow brain cells? Cause if they can, immortality should be theirs'.

truejedi
i really think they can. They had to repair the MF guy's brain.

Hewhoknowsall
They still haven't accomplished many things that can realistically be accomplished.

Life expectancy is higher, but should be even higher.
Genetic engineering?
Speeders are fast, but could be faster/safer and have more advanced features such as some alarm that steers your speeder clear of danger (which Anakin didn't have on in AOTC, or maybe just turned it off or something)
Fighters are fast, but could be faster
Fighters should have more advanced computer targeting systems
Blasters are powerful, but could be FAR more powerful and really aren't anywhere near their peak
Exoskeletons? Their armor could be MUCH more advanced.
Star Destroyers still rely largely on manual targeting, which doesn't make much sense.
etc.

But Star Wars actually does advance technologically; ships from the Old Republic era were considered to be a flying junkyard by LOTF.

Darth_Glentract
I think it could possibly be explained by people choosing to avoid some technologies. People get freaked out by things like genetic engineering (including myself) so maybe the general consensus in the SW universe in that it is evil (I just trying to rationalize the irrational here). Plus, it just lacks the SW feel.

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Can they regrow brain cells? Cause if they can, immortality should be theirs'.

If this is the case, it would explain a lack of complaining about the behaviors of people on the internets.

As far as technology, back in the late seventies, early eighties, the OT's level of tech was more appreciated. The PT basically became shinier more modern versions of the same level of retro-tech, even though they took place in the past. Go figure.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Janus Marius
If this is the case, it would explain a lack of complaining about the behaviors of people on the internets.

As far as technology, back in the late seventies, early eighties, the OT's level of tech was more appreciated. The PT basically became shinier more modern versions of the same level of retro-tech, even though they took place in the past. Go figure. Well that explains the brain cell phenomena.

Shey Tapani
SW is fine how it is now.

Ushgarak
You shoud remember that whilst Star Wars is in a sci-fi setting, it is, style-wise, closer to fantasy. Technology in it is more of a form of accessible magic than anything else, and other areas take their inspirations from specific styles (e.g. starfighter combat is from Word War II)- and a good thing to as otherwise dramatic fights would not be possible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.