My way to see how good a game really is...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Overdose
Ya' know, in the past, I've bought a game or thought one game was better than another based on the opinions of other gamers/peers/forum chatter. And some times, I played a game I really liked and er one else said it sucked, thus I didn't have many peeps to play wit. A friend of mine told me that the best way to see if a game is great is to say screw you to the boards of Game-Informer, Games Spot, IGN(especially) cuz the forums have loads of haters and fanbois to skew your perception. That's the 1st step...

2nd, go to Metacritic for a sum of all reviews, don't be fooled by a 100% or 10 ratin' cuz a game may have high marks and only like 100 reviews compared to game that has a slightly lesser score but it's based on 1000 reviews.

3rd and finally, check the sales, yo. If Metacrtic and that other site that's like metacritic(?) say the game is decent and it's sold like a bazillion copies in a decent amount of time, that should be another indication that a game is worth your hard earned money.

That's how I buy a "good" game. That's also how I see if I like a good game or do I like a game that actually sux.

That's how I've been doin it for a while, is there a better way?

Burning thought
I usually just try a game on demo or watch a few vids so I can see it myself. Mostly and more recently I try and stay close to titles and developers I can trust such as Blizzard and its series, Command and conquer and total war.

H. S. 6
I use reviews mainly for games I'm on the fence about. Otherwise, I'll play the demo before I buy the game.

rabidd909
I just rent them, if I like it, then I'll buy it.

Zack Fair
I just see if the game manages to get me to live it. You know like in Left for dead 2 when you finally finish a campaign and feel exhausted(at least in the first days) IMO any game that manages to do that is a good game.

Mairuzu
Gamefly yo

One Free Man
Originally posted by Overdose
Ya' know, in the past, I've bought a game or thought one game was better than another based on the opinions of other gamers/peers/forum chatter. And some times, I played a game I really liked and er one else said it sucked, thus I didn't have many peeps to play wit. A friend of mine told me that the best way to see if a game is great is to say screw you to the boards of Game-Informer, Games Spot, IGN(especially) cuz the forums have loads of haters and fanbois to skew your perception. That's the 1st step...

2nd, go to Metacritic for a sum of all reviews, don't be fooled by a 100% or 10 ratin' cuz a game may have high marks and only like 100 reviews compared to game that has a slightly lesser score but it's based on 1000 reviews.

3rd and finally, check the sales, yo. If Metacrtic and that other site that's like metacritic(?) say the game is decent and it's sold like a bazillion copies in a decent amount of time, that should be another indication that a game is worth your hard earned money.

That's how I buy a "good" game. That's also how I see if I like a good game or do I like a game that actually sux.

That's how I've been doin it for a while, is there a better way?

See a game that looks cool

first phase: play demo. this will give you a grasp on gameplay, graphics, and controls.

second phase: rent or gamefly. If you're not sure or if you don't think its something you will spend alot of time on, rent or gamefly. if you think that this will be great from the demo, move to third phase and skip phase two.

third phase: buy. Yea, you are a loser who had to spend more hours of his life trying to figure out weather you should buy the game than you could have bought three times over if you had used this time on a job.

Ms.Marvel
gamefly is how i get all my games because i dont have money to buy them and i dont even have my own game system ermm

Juk3n

does that mean that whatever games has sold the most is the best game?

wow, just wow. Tell that to ICO.

Macdonalds sells more food than anyother restaurante, does that mean it has the best food?

lol, dude are you 15yrs old or somthing?

Bardock42
I only watch Zero Punctuation for game reviews, and that's more for entertainment cause he tends to hate every game. The way I decide to actually buy a game is through friends or randomly coming across a game that just sounds like it'd be really fun, and that worked mostly so far.

I also tend to buy 1 - 4 years after release, so they are considerably cheaper.

jinXed by JaNx
Gamefly

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Juk3n

Macdonalds sells more food than anyother restaurante, does that mean it has the best food?

lol, dude are you 15yrs old or somthing?
Yeah, Sales isn't really a good indicator of how good a game is.

Another example is the MOTHER series; those games practically flopped in the US and Europe.

Yet it has one of the best crossover storylines in the history of RPGs.

Darth Jello
I don't read game reviews. Sometimes they're spot on, sometimes they slander an otherwise great game (i.e. The Punisher for PS2). For me, a lot of different aspects determine if a game is good or not or even what redeemable factors it has. For example, look at the LJN games for the NES. Most of them were for licensed properties and were thoroughly horrible. However, quite a few of them had awesome soundtracks so sometimes it's almost worth playing Beetlejuice, Wolverine, or even Marvel's X-Men to hear some pretty awesome 8-bit gold.

S_D_J
generally read IGN reviews, then sometimes compared it to Gamespot... (never read their forums though, their editorials are already full of fanboyism)

though none of that matters, If I'm interested in a game, chances are I will buy it regardless of score. Sometimes I buy it before reading it

Sells are a poor indication of quality, just look at any great Wii title, they don't sell as much as WiiPlay or WiiFit, some never make it to 100k

Overdose
Originally posted by Juk3n

lol, dude are you 15yrs old or somthing? Whoa, dude, don't get your "manties" in a bunch. I didn't say sells meant the game was the best, just that sells means the game is prolly good, that's all.

Where do you live, under a rock? McDonald's aint the best in the world but it tastes pretty damn good.Originally posted by One Free Man
See a game that looks cool

first phase: play demo. this will give you a grasp on gameplay, graphics, and controls.

second phase: rent or gamefly. If you're not sure or if you don't think its something you will spend alot of time on, rent or gamefly. if you think that this will be great from the demo, move to third phase and skip phase two.

third phase: buy. Yea, you are a loser who had to spend more hours of his life trying to figure out weather you should buy the game than you could have bought three times over if you had used this time on a job. My next problem is, how much does one's opinion really count? I mean, how do you know your not in love wit a shitty game? There was this one SNES game called Shaqfu, I loved it and er one else thought it sucked, so I never had anyone to play wit.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I don't read game reviews. Sometimes they're spot on, sometimes they slander an otherwise great game (i.e. The Punisher for PS2). For me, a lot of different aspects determine if a game is good or not or even what redeemable factors it has. For example, look at the LJN games for the NES. Most of them were for licensed properties and were thoroughly horrible. However, quite a few of them had awesome soundtracks so sometimes it's almost worth playing Beetlejuice, Wolverine, or even Marvel's X-Men to hear some pretty awesome 8-bit gold.

It seems that reviewers are especially harsh on 3rd party budget games. That pisses me off.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
It seems that reviewers are especially harsh on 3rd party budget games. That pisses me off.

To be fair, most of those games are total crap with few if any redeeming factors. LJN never put out a good game. Some of them were worse than pirated/unlicensed NES games from Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree, Camerica, and Sachen.

One Free Man
Whoa, dude, don't get your "manties" in a bunch. I didn't say sells meant the game was the best, just that sells means the game is prolly good, that's all.

Where do you live, under a rock? McDonald's aint the best in the world but it tastes pretty damn good. My next problem is, how much does one's opinion really count? I mean, how do you know your not in love wit a shitty game? There was this one SNES game called Shaqfu, I loved it and er one else thought it sucked, so I never had anyone to play wit. If a game entertains you, its a good game. period. Its not art, its not a connoisseur sport. its like cheap paperback novels.

Darth Jello
I collect Wisdom Tree/Color Dreams because of how bad the are and because I love the Placid Blue cartridges. The only truely good games they made were Bible Buffet, Menace Beach, and Spiritual Warfare.

BackFire
I tend to read multiple reviews, try the demo, and watch videos.

Most of the time though I have a good idea before hand if the game is going to be good simply based on the developer's pedigree. I think that's the best way to see if a game is going to be good or not.

Darth Jello
Have any of you bought (cheap of course) a horrible game simply to see what the hype was about? Like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde or the PS1 Contra games (ok, they weren't games. They were abortions).

Mandrag Ganon
Reviews are good, but honestly the best way to see if you will like a game is to play it yourself. Play the demo and/or rent the game and you will know if it is worth purchasing. Also there are games that are really good rent games, games that may have little to no re-play value but are still good games to play once through.

Personally, I think Assassin's Creed is one of those games. Loved it the first time I played it through, but just became too repetitive on my second playthrough.

Ridley_Prime
Demos are just hype machines. I never use them in determining whether I get a game or not.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Demos are just hype machines. I never use them in determining whether I get a game or not.

With you on that. I rarely play demos as well.

~ I rent a game I'm not sure I want to buy. I usually watch shows such as Reviews on the Run or EP to get an idea about a game I want. I don't read reviews from sites like Gamespot and such.

Mandrag Ganon

I have to admit, the games I want usually don't put out Demos... But if I want to see if a game is worth attempting I will check out the demo first, but that is by no means my determining factor.

Bardock42
Originally posted by One Free Man
If a game entertains you, its a good game. period. Its not art, its not a connoisseur sport. its like cheap paperback novels.
You think games are not art?

Darth Jello
No, he thinks mediocre or shitty games are not art

One Free Man
Originally posted by Bardock42
You think games are not art? the cliche's and the formula games that are slapped together with the same graphics as are popular and the same whiny anti-hero's that are are in every game.

Few games transcend into art, rather than money cows, in my opinion, much like movies. Once a year, there's an artful movie. the rest are just the same story over and over again with different names and faces.

Perhaps I should have been specific.

Juk3n
^ makes perfect sense

ICO -Shadow of the Colossus = Art.
Grand Theft Auto...=Not.

Kazenji

I disagree

Demos can be good to get an idea of what the full game may be like

they helped me to buy some games and demos are good for PC's if you can get it working then then yeah the full game will work.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.