Norwegian Spiral anomaly

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

MildPossession
You are all idiots, all that is coming from Norway's leading giant, making smoke rings with his cigarettes. Typical thinking it's something more out there.

He wasn't smoking when I was over skiing in Norway though, so it's not really fair that I just get to see it on a video.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Most probably some magnetic particle phenomenon like the Northern Lights, maybe the SOHO satellite picked up a rise in solar activity
That would be most likely imo.

Bicnarok

WickedDynamite
Told you guys to be ready for 2012. They're coming for us!

Bicnarok
But its 2009 or are our dates wrongsmile

WickedDynamite
I have confesion to make...I'm a big fan of all this 2012 stuff so anything like this is a thrill for me.

They're coming!

Bicnarok
Anything for an exciting life ehsmile

WickedDynamite
YES!

I just want my spiritual awakening to happen by then.

But please...don't take me as a fanatic. I just read stuff to be informed.

Magee
Sorry to hijack your thread Bicarnock but I just saw the most amazing thing ever. Standing at my window smoking a cigarette I look above to see an extremely bright star, I couldn't stare at it due to it's brightness. It then got dimmer and started to move across the sky except it circled a little and went right back to where I initially saw it at it's brightest. I stared at it for about 5 minutes but after going back to it's original position it didn't move at all and looks no different than any other star. I can't explain what the hell that is / was. Couldn't have been a star, planet, satellite, plane, helicopter or any other kind of space debris. This thing was in space since it was very small and dim after the initial blinding intensity of it. I am really amazed at what I've just seen.

Darth Jello
Anyone consider earth lights as a possibility?

inimalist
Bizarre Sky Spiral Caused by Failed Missile
Clara Moskowitz
livescience.com

http://www.livescience.com/space/091210-norway-spiral-missile-cloud.html

Most important to note: Russia did not immediately claim responsibility (as a cover-up) but was pressured into admitting something embarrassing.

inimalist
Almost worth a thread of its own, check out the mother****ing Bulava missile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSM-56_Bulava

Darth Jello
So Russia is getting really jumpy with its cheap knock off of the peacekeeper huh?

inimalist
Strange 'Norway Spiral' was an Out-of-Control Missile
Maggie McKee
New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18262-strange-norway-spiral-likely-an-outofcontrol-missile.html

most relevant bits are in bold

inimalist
Originally posted by Darth Jello
So Russia is getting really jumpy with its cheap knock off of the peacekeeper huh?

I'm more interested in their countermeasures. The peacekeeper has a big payload, but wasn't designed with penetrating missile shields in mind.

it seems that missile defense shields have been rendered moot before the technology to create them is existent. Go Russia...

Darth Jello
Originally posted by inimalist
I'm more interested in their countermeasures. The peacekeeper has a big payload, but wasn't designed with penetrating missile shields in mind.

Uh, yes it was.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/W87_MX_Missile_schematic.jpg/725px-W87_MX_Missile_schematic.jpg

Hence all the warheads inside the nose cone ready to launch upon penetration of enemy airspace.

"The United States' Peacekeeper missile was a MIRVed delivery system. Each missile could contain up to ten nuclear warheads (shown in red), each of which could be aimed at a different target. These were developed to make missile defense very difficult for an enemy country."

inimalist
Uh, yes it was.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/W87_MX_Missile_schematic.jpg/725px-W87_MX_Missile_schematic.jpg

Hence all the warheads inside the nose cone ready to launch upon penetration of enemy airspace.

"The United States' Peacekeeper missile was a MIRVed delivery system. Each missile could contain up to ten nuclear warheads (shown in red), each of which could be aimed at a different target. These were developed to make missile defense very difficult for an enemy country."

fair enough, I meant stuff like this:

This bolded one is important for first strike capability. Because the Bulava could survive such a close detention, they can be targeted in close proximity. This allows them to target American missile silos that were built in close proximity for this very reason (hard to target because incoming warheads would explode each other).

If I'm the only one who sees it as impressive, cool

Darth Jello
fair enough, I meant stuff like this:

This bolded one is important for first strike capability. Because the Bulava could survive such a close detention, they can be targeted in close proximity. This allows them to target American missile silos that were built in close proximity for this very reason (hard to target because incoming warheads would explode each other).

If I'm the only one who sees it as impressive, cool

uh yeah, and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon. Sounds like posturing to me since at least some of those things seem physically impossible.

Shakyamunison
...If I'm the only one who sees it as impressive, cool

It is impressive in a horrifying way.

Darth Jello
Oh yes. They're impervious to electromagnetic pulses and can evade shit moving at several times the speed of sound in mid-air.

Yeah, and the US has a bipedal tank capable of launching a nuclear strike from anywhere on the planet to anywhere on the planet. Quick! Someone call Foxhound!

inimalist
uh yeah, and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon. Sounds like posturing to me since at least some of those things seem physically impossible.

you are right, and the simple launch mechanisms have failed 7/12 times

still, if this is what is being developed in terms of nuclear weapons technology, the whole idea of missile defense, as idiotic as it was, is essentially moot. Computer systems that would allow a missile to avoid another incoming missile are not that outlandish, nor is EMP protection. Clearly it hasn't worked yet, but there is also no defense shield to stop normal nukes yet either.

Darth Jello
um, its type of missile defense countermeasure has been in use by the US since 1984.

inimalist
ok, you are right, there is nothing impressive about the missile, everything said about it is a lie, and the Americans already have (and had 20 years ago) better versions and complete defenses against it.

jeez

Darth Jello
I'm more worried about why they're testing and developing what is essentially an offensive weapon and testing it over the territories of other sovereign nations.

inimalist
that got me too, if it exploded over Norway as it failed, where was the intended impact?

They might have intended to just have it blow up outside of the atmosphere, given they were testing the missile launch itself, but I hear you. Though, the explosion that was on youtube was most likely outside of the atmosphere itself, so claiming it was over Norwegian territory might be a bit misleading. Technically, it was in space

Symmetric Chaos
you are right, and the simple launch mechanisms have failed 7/12 times

still, if this is what is being developed in terms of nuclear weapons technology, the whole idea of missile defense, as idiotic as it was, is essentially moot. Computer systems that would allow a missile to avoid another incoming missile are not that outlandish, nor is EMP protection. Clearly it hasn't worked yet, but there is also no defense shield to stop normal nukes yet either.

Blast them out of the sky with megawatt lasers.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Blast them out of the sky with megawatt lasers.

only if they make those "pew pew" sounds that lasers make in Star Wars.

dadudemon
ok, you are right, there is nothing impressive about the missile, everything said about it is a lie, and the Americans already have (and had 20 years ago) better versions and complete defenses against it.

jeez
I was about to comment about this post until I read this:

This post is full of win. I uh.....showed my coworkers cause we are all star wars nerds. embarrasment

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
This post is full of win. I uh.....showed my coworkers cause we are all star wars nerds. embarrasment

lol, man, way to put a smile on my face. I got home and was in such a pissy mood, you rock man!

dadudemon
lol, man, way to put a smile on my face. I got home and was in such a pissy mood, you rock man!

lol!

Symmetric Chaos

Probably an essential feature. It would suck to be the operator and sit there without a Pew Pew sound.

"Did it fire yet? Jeff go stand in front and see if it's shooting."

Kris Blaze
's how we roll.

Bicnarok

Deja~vu
Mmmm spirals! eat

Symmetric Chaos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.