Who can resist Cthulhu?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr Will Hatch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

Using ONLY willpower and nothing else, can anyone from comics resist being driven into insanity upon encountering Cthulhu?

Colossus-Big C
the marvel counetrpart of cthulhu is Chthon(elder god)

Dr Will Hatch
What's his best feat?

Colossus-Big C
any one using his magic gets driven into insanity( dark hold)

Lord Feron
Doom!

Kris Blaze
I contemplated making this thread.

Most guys would fail imo.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
the marvel counetrpart of cthulhu is Chthon(elder god) shuma-gorath imo

Omega Vision
Batman with prep and anyone skyfather or above. Superman is a definite maybe since he could resist the corruption of Emperor Joker who is>>>>>>>Cthulhu.
Joker and guys like him resist by virtue of already being insane. Deadpool looks at the reader and points to Cthulhu and says "O R'lyeh?"

CortSether
Originally posted by psycho gundam
shuma-gorath imo

This is correct.

Shuma-Gorath is even referred to once as Cthuma-Gurath. His character design is based off of Cthulhu a lot as well.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by CortSether
This is correct.

Shuma-Gorath is even referred to once as Cthuma-Gurath. His character design is based off of Cthulhu a lot as well.
*cough* tentacle rape *cough*

Blanket
The Fist

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

Using ONLY willpower and nothing else, can anyone from comics resist being driven into insanity upon encountering Cthulhu?

Hal, Superman, Batman, Dariseid shifty to name a few from DC.
Doom, Xavier, Dr. Strange,Thanos, to name a few from Marvel

CortSether
Nothing below God level in power can resist going mad upon seeing him.

Batman-Prime
Nothing below God level in power can resist going mad upon seeing him.

In our human world yes. But if Superheroes would exist, a lot of them would be considered Godlike in our world. Also don't forget that Supeheroes fight beings almost or as scary and insane as Cthulhu himself.

Kris Blaze

Batman-Prime

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
I didn't read all of Lovecraft books, but I remember them as Space Gods not as Universal entities.
Cthulhu was a Great Old One, beings which in the Lovecraft Universe are incredibly ancient, powerful, and horrifying entities not composed of ordinary matter but close enough that they can still interact with it. Despite this he was utterly insignificant compared to beings like Azathoth. I wouldn't say he's universal but he's definitely in the same weight class as guys like Dormammu. Classic Strange would have a rough time with him.

Blinky
As stated , nobody that is not devine themselves can withstand gazing at the mighty Cthulhu. I wonder what Thor would say or do? Thor VS Cthulhu, sounds f*cking awesome to me. Also don't forget that Cthulhu is just a mere devine priest of the Great Old Ones, Yog-Sothoth would rape even 'ol octopus-face.

I laughed when somebody said "Batman", what an example of somebody going insane with fan-boyism. Supes would even piss his pants and go bananas.

Badabing
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Batman with prep and anyone skyfather or above. thumb up

Colossus-Big C
Atum

Nihilist
Dr Strange, Thanos and Doom

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Blinky
As stated , nobody that is not devine themselves can withstand gazing at the mighty Cthulhu. I wonder what Thor would say or do? Thor VS Cthulhu, sounds f*cking awesome to me. Also don't forget that Cthulhu is just a mere devine priest of the Great Old Ones, Yog-Sothoth would rape even 'ol octopus-face.

I laughed when somebody said "Batman", what an example of somebody going insane with fan-boyism. Supes would even piss his pants and go bananas.
The only guys that Chulhu ever made insane were never shown to be the sort of strong willed people that Batman is. Also IIRC the main character of Call of Cthulhu maintained his sanity long enough to ram tht titular character with his ship. He didn't start gibbering the moment he saw Cthulhu, and from all indications he wasn't a strong man either in the mental/spiritual sense. More of a timid scholar. The fact that he resisted insanity long enough to ram Cthulhu's head with the bow of a ship means that Cthulhu's "insanity ray" isn't a one hit insta-kill thing.

King Kandy
Dr. Strange can do it for sure.

Blinky
The only guys that Chulhu ever made insane were never shown to be the sort of strong willed people that Batman is. Also IIRC the main character of Call of Cthulhu maintained his sanity long enough to ram tht titular character with his ship. He didn't start gibbering the moment he saw Cthulhu, and from all indications he wasn't a strong man either in the mental/spiritual sense. More of a timid scholar. The fact that he resisted insanity long enough to ram Cthulhu's head with the bow of a ship means that Cthulhu's "insanity ray" isn't a one hit insta-kill thing.

The protagonist was scarred mentally,emotionally, spirtually for life and admitts that he is on his was to becoming insane even remembering it. I never said that Batman would instantaneously become insane, but sooner or later the weight of seening Cthulhu would destroy any human's mind. I think people forget that Batman is human way too much.

KingD19
Is it Cthulu himself, or his magic that drives you insane?? Because if it's magic, Colossus in his metal form could possibly resist him, since magic seems to not work so well against him.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by KingD19
Is it Cthulu himself, or his magic that drives you insane?? Because if it's magic, Colossus in his metal form could possibly resist him, since magic seems to not work so well against him. colossus only has a slight resistance to magic , high level magic would harm him

Mindset
Deadpool

Omega Vision
The protagonist was scarred mentally,emotionally, spirtually for life and admitts that he is on his was to becoming insane even remembering it. I never said that Batman would instantaneously become insane, but sooner or later the weight of seening Cthulhu would destroy any human's mind. I think people forget that Batman is human way too much.
Batman has been through some twisted shit and seen lots of things that would blow a normal human's mind. Worst comes to worst he goes 'Hush' and uses his Zurr Arr Em personality to cope with it. Although I suppose that would technically count as succumbing to insanity...
Originally posted by KingD19
Is it Cthulu himself, or his magic that drives you insane?? Because if it's magic, Colossus in his metal form could possibly resist him, since magic seems to not work so well against him.
Its not a matter of magic, his very existence makes your mind scream. To see Cthulhu is to "BECOME AN UNWILLING BEHOLDER TO THE IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!" as Dr. Orpheus would say. Your mind is blown by his wrongness, everything about him screams "unnatural" or as Lovecraft would put it: "Eldritch".

Mindset
Your mind is blown by his wrongness, everything about him screams "unnatural" or as Lovecraft would put it: "Eldritch". He has the power of tricksterpriest?

Survivor19
Originally posted by Mindset
Deadpool
We have the winner right here, kind sirs.

KingD19
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
colossus only has a slight resistance to magic , high level magic would harm him

Actually, he's done fine against a bit of high magic. He resisted Baba Yaga, pulled Xavier out of a magical portal(he was the only one able to do it). Ripped open the gates of hell(Magic resistance/strength), etc...

And yeah, DP wins. He'll see Cthulu...and get hundgry for calamari.

CortSether
Cthulhu has been made into a mutliversal power and made more and more powerful the more he appears in literature, games, etc. and since there is no copyright on his usage anymore all of it is considered canon. Cthulhu is a child compared to Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth, but still a multiversal presence.

Batman-Prime

You surely don't know enough about Batman no expression

He can shut down his mind to resist even telepaths as might as an amped Grodd, his will an mastery of his mind is great enough to even hide his thoughs from telepaths, so they can't even detect that there are some. He has split his personality to prevent his mind being messed with. He messes with his freaking mind on his own. I mean who can do this to himself and stay sane?

You have no clue.

As for Cthulhu being made into an Multiversal entity. I don't care what they do with him. The only valid "visions" i accept are from the Insane Lovecraft himself. I haven't read all his books though but as said thus I read i never had the impression that they are Multiversal.

Omega Vision
Cthulhu has been made into a mutliversal power and made more and more powerful the more he appears in literature, games, etc. and since there is no copyright on his usage anymore all of it is considered canon. Cthulhu is a child compared to Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth, but still a multiversal presence.
Not sure I agree with that interpretation. I don't consider anything Lovecraft didn't write to be canon for his mythos unless he himself gave it his blessing and it doesn't contradict anything. Obviously it can't all be considered canon in much the same way that any of the stuff that happened to the public access characters in the LOEG can be considered canon to them. As it stands Cthulhu is at most an Elder-God level being, he's certainly not Universal. The Outer Gods are Universal and Cthulhu isn't even a child to them, he's more like a flea. The power scale for Lovecraft went as such:
puny humans<random monsters and servants of Great Old Ones or Outer Gods<Great Race of Yith, Shoggoths,Mi-Go(?)<Elder Gods=<Great Old Ones<Lesser Outer Gods<Yogg-Sothoth=<Azathoth

Batman-Prime
Not sure I agree with that interpretation. I don't consider anything Lovecraft didn't write to be canon for his mythos unless he himself gave it his blessing and it doesn't contradict anything. Obviously it can't all be considered canon in much the same way that any of the stuff that happened to the public access characters in the LOEG can be considered canon to them. As it stands Cthulhu is at most an Elder-God level being, he's certainly not Universal. The Outer Gods are Universal and Cthulhu isn't even a child to them, he's more like a flea. The power scale for Lovecraft went as such:
puny humans<random monsters and servants of Great Old Ones or Outer Gods<Great Race of Yith, Shoggoths,Mi-Go(?)<Elder Gods=<Great Old Ones<Lesser Outer Gods<Yogg-Sothoth=<Azathoth

thumb up

I see the "Lovecraft" Universe like the Lord of the Rings. There is only the original Stuff and the rest is "fanfiction" at best.
Such People got Visions powerful enough to drive them insane (I remember the "fact/mythos" that Lovecraft believed what he wrote).

JakeTheBank
Squirrel Girl

Omega Vision
thumb up

I see the "Lovecraft" Universe like the Lord of the Rings. There is only the original Stuff and the rest is "fanfiction" at best.
Such People got Visions powerful enough to drive them insane (I remember the "fact/mythos" that Lovecraft believed what he wrote).
The worst offenders are those "writers" that attempt to assign a Christianity influenced good and evil dichotomy to what Lovecraft intended to be a universe of cosmic indifference. Cthulhu isn't evil and the Elder-Gods aren't good. The former just has a habit of passively driving people insane with his mere presence while the latter is at odds with the former and doesn't have any particular beef with humanity.

Parmaniac
Maybe Emma Frost in diamond form? Don't know how Cthulu works so I just guess

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Maybe Emma Frost in diamond form? Don't know how Cthulu works so I just guess
He works by existing more or less. Think Darkseid in Final Crisis but on a smaller scale. Merely by existing (and with help from the ALE) Darkseid was poisoning reality and warping space and time. Cthulhu does that with your sanity. As I've already said it isn't an instant effect and its not total in all cases but for the most part if you see him you start losing your mind. Batman could probably retain most of his sanity if its just a brief brush with him and guys like Fate and Strange could probably resist him too given their mystical nature, experience with similar beings, and great will power.

Bentley
Kang. I mean, why not?

KingD19
I remember the episode of Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy with Cthulu in it. hilarious.

Mshinu
Spawn, Rorschach.

KingD19
Ozy, Selene, Apocalypse, Sentry(Already Crazy), Punisher(Too pissed to be crazy), Wolverine(Seen too much sh*t in his life)

psycho gundam
He works by existing more or less. Think Darkseid in Final Crisis but on a smaller scale. Merely by existing (and with help from the ALE) Darkseid was poisoning reality and warping space and time. Cthulhu does that with your sanity. As I've already said it isn't an instant effect and its not total in all cases but for the most part if you see him you start losing your mind. Batman could probably retain most of his sanity if its just a brief brush with him and guys like Fate and Strange could probably resist him too given their mystical nature, experience with similar beings, and great will power. to put it into perspective, the high evolutionary went comatose with his eyes stuck open after seeing the birth of a celestial, and that guy has self-evolved ...himself to the pinnacle of human potential (or sum such) mentally and pretty much all other areas.

a lot of guys would get screwed up

Blinky
You surely don't know enough about Batman no expression

He can shut down his mind to resist even telepaths as might as an amped Grodd, his will an mastery of his mind is great enough to even hide his thoughs from telepaths, so they can't even detect that there are some. He has split his personality to prevent his mind being messed with. He messes with his freaking mind on his own. I mean who can do this to himself and stay sane?

You have no clue.

Hahaha you're clearly not blinded by fan boyism, Batman-prime

Dr Will Hatch
Emperor Joker broke Batman, but EJ is infinately more powerful than Cthulhu. What a conundrum.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Emperor Joker broke Batman, but EJ is infinately more powerful than Cthulhu. What a conundrum.
It was also a much longer and more active process than simply "and Batman looked at EJ and was insane". Batman takes a lot to break. If any normal humans can resist Cthulhu it would be guys like Batman and Dr. Doom.

Batman-Prime
Hahaha you're clearly not blinded by fan boyism, Batman-prime

In fact, I'm not. I'm just better informed then you smile.

Glorificus
What about someone like Harry Dresden? He probably wouldn't be too impressed with the likes of Cthulhu.

Omega Vision
John Constantine. I can't believe no one's put him yet.

Batman-Prime
Joker would laugh in Cthulhus face btw

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.