Spider-Man vs Midnighter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
Who wins?

Fight in an urban setting.

Tha C-Master
Good match, I'd want to say Spiderman for the slight majority. It really just depends on the style and setting on the fighting. MN'ers calculation helps against Spiderman's movements, but Spidey's precog helps him to stay ahead. Spiderman has a few other abilities as well.

I want to say Spiderman 5.5/10, but some may or may not agree. When is that new? This has been done before too.

TheKahn
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Good match, I'd want to say Spiderman for the slight majority. It really just depends on the style and setting on the fighting. MN'ers calculation helps against Spiderman's movements, but Spidey's precog helps him to stay ahead. Spiderman has a few other abilities as well.

I want to say Spiderman 5.5/10, but some may or may not agree. When is that new? This has been done before too.

You bring up some good points. Its basically a form of precog vs a different form of precog. Still, I'd give the slight edge to Midnighter just based on fighting skills and sheer ruthlessness.

carver9
Originally posted by TheKahn
You bring up some good points. Its basically a form of precog vs a different form of precog. Still, I'd give the slight edge to Midnighter just based on fighting skills and sheer ruthlessness.

Tha C-Master
Probably so, but he doesn't have higher damage output. Maybe it is an even split though.

Starscream M
Probably so, but he doesn't have higher damage output. Maybe it is an even split though. actually he does.

he kicked a tank shell....that would shatter spiderman's legs if spiderman tried it

TheKahn
Probably so, but he doesn't have higher damage output. Maybe it is an even split though.

Not too sure about that...

*not for the faint of heart!!!!*

http://img369.imageshack.us/i/n23op4.jpg/
http://img513.imageshack.us/i/m17xa6.jpg/
and my personal favorite
http://img523.imageshack.us/i/spineyw8.jpg/

wink

Tha C-Master
I'm about to look, but I'm at work, is that when he kicks someone's head off? I've seen that, Spidey can do that too. If I'm wrong, then give me a second.

TheKahn
I'm about to look, but I'm at work, is that when he kicks someone's head off? I've seen that, Spidey can do that too. If I'm wrong, then give me a second.

In order its
punch through a face
deadly nerve strike
and spine removal ala Mortal Kombat

Spiderman could likely accomplish 1 and 3 but if they are fighting in character (I didn't see where they were bloodlusted) he wouldn't go for the kill. Midnighter is a different story... evil face

Starscream M
the only thing spiderman can't replicate is the tank shell kick

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Starscream M
actually he does.

he kicked a tank shell....that would shatter spiderman's legs if spiderman tried it

no he doesent. it called pis my friend. One time feats are not usable........

Mindset
Not too sure about that...

*not for the faint of heart!!!!*

http://img369.imageshack.us/i/n23op4.jpg/
http://img513.imageshack.us/i/m17xa6.jpg/
and my personal favorite
http://img523.imageshack.us/i/spineyw8.jpg/

wink That's not even close to what Spiderman could do, he could probably perform all those feats with only using a 3rd of his strength.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Battlehammer
no he doesent. it called pis my friend. One time feats are not usable........ you misunderstand the meaning of pis

just because something happens once doesn't make it PIS...for example, if wolverine only decapitates once, its not pis.

its only pis if the event contradicts prior characterizations

midnighter kicking a tank shell does not contradict his prior showings.

Tha C-Master
It has nothing to do with physical capability, I wouldn't say he has the higher maximum output, just that he's willing to kill, the idea is to do just enough to incapacitate. Something he can do. I'd say about even.

Mindset
actually he does.

he kicked a tank shell....that would shatter spiderman's legs if spiderman tried it Actually, he doesn't.

Battlehammer
you misunderstand the meaning of pis

just because something happens once doesn't make it PIS...for example, if wolverine only decapitates once, its not pis.

its only pis if the event contradicts prior characterizations

midnighter kicking a tank shell does not contradict his prior showings.
No I understand it perfectly.

True, but if the individual never display that type of power/strength again that is infact pis. Midnighters never shown that type of power out put asside from that single event which makes it pis.

It does contrict it. He never been display as that strong. He only slightly within superhuman range, that feat puts him vastly into it, which infact makes it pis.

yes it does, he never display that type of power or closes to it since or before that, it is infact pis.

TheKahn
Originally posted by Mindset
That's not even close to what Spiderman could do, he could probably perform all those feats with only using a 3rd of his strength.

I know, hence...

In order its
punch through a face
deadly nerve strike
and spine removal ala Mortal Kombat

Spiderman could likely accomplish 1 and 3 but if they are fighting in character (I didn't see where they were bloodlusted) he wouldn't go for the kill. Midnighter is a different story... evil face

I didn't post them to argue Midnighter was stronger than Spiderman (I don't think he is) but to show that he had sufficient damage capacity to make this an interesting fight.

Battlehammer
Midnighter is not even closes to Spidermans strength.

People realize people with Wolverine strength can kick punch hole in people, crush skulls ect.

Starscream M
No I understand it perfectly.

True, but if the individual never display that type of power/strength again that is infact pis. Midnighters never shown that type of power out put asside from that single event which makes it pis.

It does contrict it. He never been display as that strong. He only slightly within superhuman range, that feat puts him vastly into it, which infact makes it pis.

yes it does, he never display that type of power or closes to it since or before that, it is infact pis. umm...I love your ignorance

you've prob never read even one midnighter comic

he has shown similar strength feats

he has hurt a superman level character with a hit

he has ripped a human's spinal cord out.

read a goddamn comic.

Mindset
You seemed indecisive to whether or not Spiderman could output more damage, or if he would be able to replicate those feats.

I'm telling you Spiderman definitely could.

Battlehammer
umm...I love your ignorance

you've prob never read even one midnighter comic

he has shown similar strength feats

he has hurt a superman level character with a hit

he has ripped a human's spinal cord out.

read a goddamn comic.
irony.

Ive read many MN comics, and the irony again.

No he hasent, not even closes to it. If he has prove it.

so what that far cry from displaying the same ability is knocking back a tank cannon in comics. Batman, capt spiderman ect have all hurt heavy hitters with there punches does that mean they can now knock bck a cannon firer? Nope. hurting heavy hitter with your blows is not a strength feat.

So, wolveirne kicked a dudes had off. It does not require even closes to cannon back kicking back strength to come closes to accomplishing that.

the irony. find it hilarious since I literally read thousands of more comics then you

wammamram
i's say spider-man. he has to be the smartest of the teenage heros, in the history of sidekicks,but of course, he's not a sidekick

Kris Blaze
Spidey could ruin any human, those aren't exactly Midnighter's best feats either. Mids can take punches from Apollo and Jack Hawksmoore, believe it or not. I dare say his damage soak is at least up there with Spidey.. It's difficult to say who wins the "precog" war, but considering that Spidey is naturally faster, he would win if their "precogs" stalemate.

Battlehammer
There a huge difference between Midnighters ability and Spidermans. Midnighter knows what may happen, he knows the different scenerio that may play out, he doe snot know which one will play out. That a huge differences between spidersense which actaully tells him what the next attack will be and when.

KingD19
I remember Midnighter running a couple million scenarios in his head while fighting Monsters, and he downed them all.

He also took a kick that launched him a pretty far distance with no discomfort. Plus his combat speed is faster than Spidey's, and his combat scenario computer will give him the win more often than not.

grimify
Midnighter, and it's not really that close.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by KingD19
I remember Midnighter running a couple million scenarios in his head while fighting Monsters, and he downed them all.

He also took a kick that launched him a pretty far distance with no discomfort. Plus his combat speed is faster than Spidey's, and his combat scenario computer will give him the win more often than not.
Yea like spidermans never delt with some shitty monsters........

again like spidermans never done that. No his combat speed is most certainly not faster then spidermans prove it.

Starscream M
Yea like spidermans never delt with some shitty monsters........

again like spidermans never done that. No his combat speed is most certainly not faster then spidermans prove it. his mind and reaction speed is far greater than spiderman...you can't process millions of scenarios without superspeed

Battlehammer
his mind and reaction speed is far greater than spiderman...you can't process millions of scenarios without superspeed
He has built in computer. Being able to proccesses scenerios at an extremely fast rate does not equate to you have super fast reflexes or speed, thats some BS. There no evidences to suggest he faster or has better reflexes then Spiderman, but that for proving your utter ignorance again for the thousands time

Starscream M
He has built in computer. Being able to proccesses scenerios at an extremely fast rate does not equate to you have super fast reflexes or speed, thats some BS. There no evidences to suggest he faster or has better reflexes then Spiderman, but that for proving your utter ignorance again for the thousands time you're the ignorant one

processing million scenarios is useful only if you have the speed to use it

if I gave you a comp processing a million scenarios, it would be useless to you because you'd be too slow to react

MN can react at miliseconds...faster than most streetlevelers, including spiderman

Battlehammer
you're the ignorant one

if I gave you a comp processing a million scenarios, it would be useless to you because you'd be too slow to react

MN can react at miliseconds...faster than most streetlevelers, including spiderman
No you are as usual.

No it usesful requardless. His brain runs scenerio's which could occure during the fight.

No he can't you dont understand his powers at all. He never once been describe like that. His ability to run simulation in his mind is from combat computer built into his head, it seperate from his reflexes and speed. He does not posses the same speed as his brain is able to simulate, becuase it a seperate enhancement. god your ignorant.

KingD19
If I remember correctly about the monster feat, he was running thousands of scenarios for each of the hundreds of monsters. And just look at some of MN's feats.

namorsubby
spidey.

BTW, let's squash the "spidey always loses to highly skilled street-levelers" rumor please

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by namorsubby
spidey.

BTW, let's squash the "spidey always loses to highly skilled street-levelers" rumor please I made a thread about "skill" Spiderman is skilled even if he isn't an official MA.

Go look at it.

Mindset
Originally posted by KingD19
If I remember correctly about the monster feat, he was running thousands of scenarios for each of the hundreds of monsters. And just look at some of MN's feats. The comic before that he was getting tagged by Grifter.

Not that that is a bad feat since Grifter is up there with Doom and Kyle on the awesomeness scale.

SamZED
you're the ignorant one

Dolphins can communicate a lot faster than humans, one squicky noise they make is like 1000 "words" and it takes them like 1 second to understand. That doesn't = having bullettime reflexes...

Also, Spider-man can kick through a tank shell no prob. Also can someone post scans of Midnighter displaying his combat speed? 'cause I really doubt he's faster than Parker.

Battlehammer
I made a thread about "skill" Spiderman is skilled even if he isn't an official MA.

Go look at it.
Spiderman is not skilled. If hios powers were stripped he be a no body. He not skilled he relies on his powers to win. They even did a what if spiderman was properly trained and he was a complete utter monster.

namorsubby
i have read somewhere that he has developed a "freestyle fighting form" which contours to his ehancements.......i'm not sure it would quallify though

Charlotte DeBel
i have read somewhere that he has developed a "freestyle fighting form" which contours to his ehancements.......i'm not sure it would quallify though

Finding a way to effectively use the powers is one thing, being able to fight when the powers are turned off is another thing.
Proper combat training indeed did enhance Spiderman's performance to great degree.

For example, shieldless Captain America without limitless stamina provided by SSS is still someone you won't want to face in a fight. Powerless Spiderman has nothing like that to add to his resume. His "fighting style" is acrobatics (impossible for regular human) and power usage...that's all.

Powers can be a part of one's fighting style, but saying Spidey has great combat skills is farfetched IMO, I'm not on "Spidey loses to Daredevil-types" bandwagon, that's stupid BS, but I do believe guys like Iron Fist or Midnighter who have smaller gap to close statswise would beat poor Pete into ground.

Charlotte DeBel
Spiderman is not skilled. If hios powers were stripped he be a no body. He not skilled he relies on his powers to win. They even did a what if spiderman was properly trained and he was a complete utter monster.

For once, I agree with you. Somebody with clearly superhuman stats AND proper combat training\strategic mind can lay all the variants of traps to Spidey... in fact, I can see Midnighter utilising the "false positive" scenario to get Spidey into dodging fake attack only to get hit into the face.

Charlotte DeBel
spidey.

BTW, let's squash the "spidey always loses to highly skilled street-levelers" rumor please

Spidey losing to Daredevil-types=BS. Spidey losing to guys with combat training who have actual superhuman stats=the fact.

namorsubby
although spidey has had his powers to aid him in fighting throughout the years......i still believe that one who engages in combat so often throughout such a long amount of time develops fighting skill seperate from their acquired powers......spidey's powers help.....but what about those villians who match him in speed,strength, and other categories? they test his fighting ability everytime they go up against him. I'm sure by now he's developed at least a rough set of skills he uses that is seperate from his powers....

namorsubby
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
Spidey losing to Daredevil-types=BS. Spidey losing to guys with combat training who have actual superhuman stats=the fact. i'd have no problem believing spidey would lose to someone with slightly inferior physical stats but a load of MA knowledge.........heck, that's just like fighting in the real world. if you know what you're doing and the other guy doesn't........it may not matter that they're a little bigger,stronger, faster, etc

Charlotte DeBel
although spidey has had his powers to aid him in fighting throughout the years......i still believe that one who engages in combat so often throughout such a long amount of time develops fighting skill seperate from their acquired powers......spidey's powers help.....but what about those villians who match him in speed,strength, and other categories? they test his fighting ability everytime they go up against him. I'm sure by now he's developed at least a rough set of skills he uses that is seperate from his powers....

Either not full match (i.e. strong but slower) or...dumber and losing via plot devices.
Spidey's rogue gallery isn't good proof of his combat skills...though there are some obscure people like Black Tarantula who can be the perfect test subjects for that situation.

Charlotte DeBel
i'd have no problem believing spidey would lose to someone with slightly inferior physical stats but a load of MA knowledge.........heck, that's just like fighting in the real world. if you know what you're doing and the other guy doesn't........it may not matter that they're a little bigger,stronger, faster, etc

Then I can understand your reasoning. The very thing there is that Nighter has actual superhuman stats AND combat training (was elite mercenary even before getting powers) and no way should he be treated as a Daredevil\Batman type.

Tha C-Master
Depends on the level of stats and training really. A low level superhuman wouldn't make a difference. Another Spiderman with much higher training would. What better combat training is there than experience itself though?

SamZED
Spiderman is not skilled. If hios powers were stripped he be a no body. He not skilled he relies on his powers to win. They even did a what if spiderman was properly trained and he was a complete utter monster. I have to disagree, ofcourse he relies on his powers (why wouldn't he?) but he's definitely not a nobody, years of fighting experience would do that even if he suddenly loses his powers he'd be pretty strong, fast and agile and there are examples of that happening.

Tha C-Master
Spiderman is not skilled. If hios powers were stripped he be a no body. He not skilled he relies on his powers to win. They even did a what if spiderman was properly trained and he was a complete utter monster. You might want to look up the definition of skill then. And honestly how many characters rely on their powers? Wolverine does also. They did a "What if" about what Spiderman would be if he didn't hold back and he was a monster as well.

Also I agree extra training would benefit him, but he isn't a nobody without it, he's had his powers removed and was able to survive supervillians.

Basically the problem is that many posters on the forum are thinking about him using human abilities, which are much less useful for him. His style is unorthodox and goes with his power sets. He getting training would help his style of thinking, nothing more. What would he start doing? Normal Earth based moves where he stands still and does one hit a a time? Which is harder to defend? That or a person doing something unorthodox that is hard to defend against.

Take it from an actual MA with really good experience AND really high physical ability. And I'm not talking about these people who all think they know something because they watch UFC.

But since you guys love UFC as an example. Why did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu become so popular and effective? Pop quiz.

It was because the styles that fighters were using on this side of the globe were mainly boxing and poking tactics with no defense against ground and grapple based moves. When BJJ came about it was new and unorthodox and people didn't know how to defend against it, hence it was so powerful. Now everybody knows it and it is effective (but somewhat overrated). Would a guy with only BJJ knowledge stomp in MMA now? Hell no, he would be crushed by other competitiors.

But we must also look at stat gap, you can put me against a 12 year old 3rd degree black belt and he would get stomped (they are out there). My physical ability is much higher, much higher than an averge man's and much more a small kid. Hence why I train everything. It is all one pool really.

If they are evenly attributed and one has more physical training, that person will often do better.

If they are evenly s killed and one has higher stats, the other one will more often do better.

If one is a little more skilled, and the other is quite higher physically, the latter will still win because physical ability is always there. It isn't something you turn off. A "skilled" person still makes mistakes and are open to different things, hell the most skilled fighter can be beaten by an average Joe at the bar if he's hit the right way.

Now Parker with no powers isn't going to take on Batman, of course not, but he could take on an average or well trained man with no powers, I believe that. Even without his super powers he would still be more physically advantaged than most could hope to achieve that are normal humans, and he is still more dangerous with his powers and without that (what if) training, than he would be with the training and no powers.

Mindset
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
Iron Fist or Midnighter who have smaller gap to close statswise would beat poor Pete into ground. IF and Midnighter aren't really close stat wise.

Midnighter isn't close to Parker stat wise either.

Neither character would beat Peat into the ground, well, pre upgrade IF wouldn't.

juggernaut74
Mids.

cdtm
It has nothing to do with physical capability, I wouldn't say he has the higher maximum output, just that he's willing to kill, the idea is to do just enough to incapacitate. Something he can do. I'd say about even.

Willing to kill, yes.

Would he try and kill another hero, though? He didn't want to kill Zealot, despite her trying to cut him in two. (To his credit, he still held his own, and even technically won the match...)

Anyways, bloodlusted or not, I'm backing Spidey. I've never even seen Midnighter dodge a bullet, and if you're not at least a bullet timer you may as well be standing still compared to Spidey...

Bentley
Without the spider-sense, MN dominates evil face

Digi
Hm. There's other threads of these two despite this one being old. I've responded at length in the past.

Anyway, Pete with SS takes a clear majority. Without it, MNer doesn't break a sweat and wins. I could go into why, but old thread is old.

Bentley
MN punked enemies with superspeed, flight and superman-like status during baptism of fire, Pete's status barring agility will never come into play, and speed won't win it for him.

Digi
Originally posted by Bentley
MN punked enemies with superspeed, flight and superman-like status during baptism of fire, Pete's status barring agility will never come into play, and speed won't win it for him.

My defense of Pete revolved around the idea that MNer's abilities and the way they work can't account for what amounts to the precognition that is Pete's SS. His computational brand of fighting can't account for someone who can literally know what you'll do before you do it. That, and his physical stats don't match up to Pete, since the SS would negate most of the skill edge.

Minus SS, MNer pwns of course. But that's not in the spirit of the original thread.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Digi
My defense of Pete revolved around the idea that MNer's abilities and the way they work can't account for what amounts to the precognition that is Pete's SS. His computational brand of fighting can't account for someone who can literally know what you'll do before you do it. That, and his physical stats don't match up to Pete, since the SS would negate most of the skill edge.
Yeah?

Well...

...you're a poopy pants. crackers

cdtm
Originally posted by Bentley
Without the spider-sense, MN dominates evil face

I'm gonna need to see some MN feats, to agree with this, because right now I peg him around Cap level.

The comics I have read of Midnighter, he usually takes down mooks and canon fodder.. In their first issues, he did take down some super humans that were flying through buildings and such, which could be impressive, except the super humans turned to clay against other heroes and even bullets..

You mentioned Trial by Fire? Is that an Authority story? Image or Wildstorm?

I can't find it through a Google search. All I keep getting is either the Kyle Rayner story, or webpages about Christianity..

Bentley
The showing I was talking about was in the circle storyline. He also hurts Apollo who has superhuman durability.

But Digi must know better, he's read more Authority than I have -and it was a while ago, maybe I'll buy some trades by the sole reason of Hawksmoor's awesomeness-.

srankmissingnin
Spider-man wins via webbing with or without his Spider-Sense.

Digi
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Spider-man wins via webbing with or without his Spider-Sense.

True sometimes but not always. This would be his best method of victory, but you're shortchanging MNer. I give Spidey maybe 8-9/10 with SS, 2-3/10 without. He takes a lot of hits sans SS.

Originally posted by cdtm
I'm gonna need to see some MN feats, to agree with this, because right now I peg him around Cap level.

The comics I have read of Midnighter, he usually takes down mooks and canon fodder.. In their first issues, he did take down some super humans that were flying through buildings and such, which could be impressive, except the super humans turned to clay against other heroes and even bullets..

You mentioned Trial by Fire? Is that an Authority story? Image or Wildstorm?

I can't find it through a Google search. All I keep getting is either the Kyle Rayner story, or webpages about Christianity..

The Authority have a great respect thread, including a robust section on MNer. There's more than enough contained there to get a rough idea of his abilities. He's > Cap though. WS occasionally has the problem that no one knows their villains, and the Authority usually kills its villains, so we don't have a frame of reference for power levels sometimes. But he's still done way more than trash mooks.

And yes, as Bentley mentioned, he hurt a legit low herald Superman clone with a precise strike to his ears. One of his highest showings.

cdtm

And yes, as Bentley mentioned, he hurt a legit low herald Superman clone with a precise strike to his ears. One of his highest showings.

Was it Apollo?

Think I remember a scene where they fought, and Midnighter boxes his ears..

Which is definitely impressive, sure. But also to be fair, Apollo's a pretty variable character, depending on how much sun amp-age he has..

Digi
Originally posted by cdtm
Was it Apollo?

Think I remember a scene where they fought, and Midnighter boxes his ears..

Which is definitely impressive, sure. But also to be fair, Apollo's a pretty variable character, depending on how much sun amp-age he has..

Correct and correct. Apollo's a variable character but it's still a great feat, as he was at least at an average charge at the time.

spider-man wins

Smurph
Bump

panthergod
True sometimes but not always. This would be his best method of victory, but you're shortchanging MNer. I give Spidey maybe 8-9/10 with SS, 2-3/10 without. He takes a lot of hits sans SS.

The Authority have a great respect thread, including a robust section on MNer. There's more than enough contained there to get a rough idea of his abilities. He's > Cap though. WS occasionally has the problem that no one knows their villains, and the Authority usually kills its villains, so we don't have a frame of reference for power levels sometimes. But he's still done way more than trash mooks.

So... Nothing Batman hasn't done to far more impressive characters like Wonder Woman? OK.

Midnighter fought Zealot to a standstill. the same Zealot who failed to defeat Dart from Freak Force.

Midnighter is high end Cap/Deathstroke level. nothing more.

Digi
Originally posted by panthergod
So... Nothing Batman hasn't done to far more impressive characters like Wonder Woman? OK.

Midnighter fought Zealot to a standstill. the same Zealot who failed to defeat Dart from Freak Force.

Midnighter is high end Cap/Deathstroke level. nothing more.

You're replying to a post from 2011, but thumb up . Things change, and opinions differ.

Zack M
Midnighter,

Digi
Originally posted by Zack M
Midnighter,

Unless he got an upgrade from his WS self, nah.

Zack M
Unless he got an upgrade from his WS self, nah.

I'm talking about current, DCnU Midnighter. He's much more impressive than WS one.

Smurph
Spider-Man still wins

Digi
I'm talking about current, DCnU Midnighter. He's much more impressive than WS one.

I would need independent verification. I don't trust anything you say about DC characters.

/srug

Zack M
I've posted the scans many time of his feats. As has DarkSaint. I'm still going with Midnighter.

RadZoa
Spiderman has a lot of higher end feats but he's probably going to get fisted if he's fighting in character

namorsubby
Spider-man.

Zack M
Originally posted by RadZoa
Spiderman has a lot of higher end feats but he's probably going to get fisted if he's fighting in character

Yeah. Midnighter has already tagged someone a lot faster than Spidey. He's taken hits from beings far stronger (Etrigan and Apollo). Midnighter will see Spidey's every move and then some.

vansonbee
Spider-man

Zack M
How?

Raisen
spider man

Zack M
Loses. cool

DarkSaint85
I've posted the scans many time of his feats. As has DarkSaint. I'm still going with Midnighter.

I wouldn't trust him either.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.