Copycat characters vs originals.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
Which copycat characters are hands down more powerful than the original characters they were copied from?

Parmaniac
Batman

Mshinu
Thanos

Colossus-Big C
King Hyperion>Superman
Sentry>Superman
Gladiator>Superman
Silver Surfer>Colossus
Colossus>Metal Head
Colossus>Iron Clad
Juggernaut>DoomsDay
WWH>Solomon Grundy
DeathStroke>DeadPool
Moonknight>Batman
Flash>QuickSilver
The Mask>Joker
Molecule Man>Atom Smasher

thanos-prime
Originally posted by Mshinu
Thanos

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
King Hyperion>Superman
Sentry>Superman
Gladiator>Superman
Silver Surfer>Colossus
Colossus>Metal Head
Colossus>Iron Clad
Juggernaut>DoomsDay
WWH>Solomon Grundy
DeathStroke>DeadPool
Moonknight>Batman
Flash>QuickSilver
The Mask>Joker

Silver Surfer is a rip off of Colossus? Juggernaut is a rip off of Doomsday? FLASH is a rip off of Quicksilver?

psycho gundam
King Hyperion>Superman
Sentry>Superman
Gladiator>Superman
Silver Surfer>Colossus
Colossus>Metal Head
Colossus>Iron Clad
Juggernaut>DoomsDay
WWH>Solomon Grundy
DeathStroke>DeadPool
Moonknight>Batman
Flash>QuickSilver
The Mask>Joker
Molecule Man>Atom Smasher facepalm

Parmaniac
King Hyperion>Superman
Sentry>Superman
Gladiator>Superman
Silver Surfer>Colossus
Colossus>Metal Head
Colossus>Iron Clad
Juggernaut>DoomsDay
WWH>Solomon Grundy
DeathStroke>DeadPool
Moonknight>Batman
Flash>QuickSilver
The Mask>Joker

I think you might misunderstood the thread...

EDIT: Originally posted by psycho gundam
facepalm

Omega Vision
Thanos isn't more powerful than the PC depiction of Darkseid upon whom he is based.
King Hyperion>Superman
Sentry>Superman
Gladiator>Superman
Silver Surfer>Colossus
Colossus>Metal Head
Colossus>Iron Clad
Juggernaut>DoomsDay
WWH>Solomon Grundy
DeathStroke>DeadPool
Moonknight>Batman
Flash>QuickSilver
The Mask>Joker
Holy shit there's so much wrong with this list.

psycho gundam
profiling it

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Holy shit there's so much wrong with this list.

thumb up

Nihilist
Thanos isn't more powerful than the PC depiction of Darkseid upon whom he is based.

Holy shit there's so much wrong with this list. Thanos isnt a copy of Darksied he was orginaly based on metron.

Colossus-Big C
like what?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Nihilist
Thanos isnt a copy of Darksied he was orginaly based on metron.
I've heard that too but I haven't ever seen proof of it. Although I do vaguely remember a story about how Thanos was originally drawn skinny like Metron and someone (Starlin probably) said to make him look more buff.

Omega Vision
like what?
First off some of those characters are either not at all related to the others you've paired them with or they are and you reversed who copied whom.

Colossus-Big C
First off some of those characters are either not at all related to the others you've paired them with or they are and you reversed who copied whom. name them. mad (the ones who are not related)

Parmaniac
I've heard that too but I haven't ever seen proof of it. Although I do vaguely remember a story about how Thanos was originally drawn skinny like Metron and someone (Starlin probably) said to make him look more buff.

IIRC I've read somewhere that Thanos originally was based on a Darkseid that wasn't the Darkseid we know nowadays at that time his name was Dr. Darkseid or something can anyone tell me if that's true or complete bullshit?

JakeTheBank
Well, in Marvel vs. DC and JLA vs. Avengers, the comparisons to Thanos and Darkseid were made quite apparently, so I would imagine Thanos is more based after Darkseid.

Parmaniac
name them. mad (the ones who are not related)

You just went be apperance like Colossus + Surfer, Deathstroke + Deadpool, this thread is meant to point out charcters that are really ripped off of others like Batman is a rip off of Zorro and yes Batman is more powerful than Zorro so I stated Batman you stated a lot of weird stuff based on their look/appereance and even if that would be the case you should just have stated the one where the ripp off is more powerful than the original

Mshinu
Isn`t Deadpool a ripoff of Deathstroke? Even their names are similar.

Doctor-Alvis
To be fair, Deadpool was originally a Captain Ersatz of Deathstroke.

Omega Vision
name them. mad (the ones who are not related)
For starters SS and Colossus, WWH and Grundy, Molecule Man and Atom Smasher, Juggernaut and Doomsday, Flash and Quicksilver (I know that Flash came first by a long shot but I'm not sure if QS is actually based off of him in anymore than just an incidental way). Deathstroke and Deadpool are related but DS came first by ten years at least.
Originally posted by Parmaniac
IIRC I've read somewhere that Thanos originally was based on a Darkseid that wasn't the Darkseid we know nowadays at that time his name was Dr. Darkseid or something can anyone tell me if that's true or complete bullshit?
First I've heard of that. Darkseid I'm fairly certain first appeared in 1970 in an issue of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen whereas Thanos appeared in 1972 in an Iron Man comic.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Yep, they even have the same names with two different letters:
Slade Wilson-Wade Wilson
Deathstroke-Deadpool

Colossus-Big C
a naked colossus would look exactly like surfer .

also
Hulk IS a copy of solomon grundy...........

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis

Ok didn't knew about that BUT there's still a lot wrong with his list

Parmaniac

also

No Stan Lee created him after the concept of Frankensteins Monster and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde that's why Hulk had lot's of times that "squareish" head in the past

JakeTheBank

erm

Colossus-Big C
No Stan Lee created him after the concept of Frankensteins Monster and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde that's why Hulk had lot's of times that "squareish" head in the past solomon gruundy is also based off frankeinstien monster...........

Doctor-Alvis

also
No he wouldn't.

And the only similarities are that they're strong and dumb. Solomon Grundy is a leaf zombie of a dead gangster who constantly reincarnates with varying strength and intelligence. Hulk is a manifestation of Banner's <insert psychological bullshit>.

solomon gruundy is also based off frankeinstien monster...........
Wouldn't that make them both copies of Frankeinstein's monster?

Nihilist
I've heard that too but I haven't ever seen proof of it. Although I do vaguely remember a story about how Thanos was originally drawn skinny like Metron and someone (Starlin probably) said to make him look more buff. A guy posted the interview/quote on anther board a while ago, Starlin said Thanos meant to look like Metron but act like Darkseid. He made him look bulkier later on but gave him his floating chair to retain his Metron look.

Parmaniac
solomon gruundy is also based off frankeinstien monster...........

Yeah so BOTH are a rip off of Frankensteins Monster and not Hulk of Grundy or Grundy of Hulk...

Omega Vision

also
Not really
If anything the modern Solomon Grundy has been influenced by Hulk to be much bulkier than he was originally.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
erm http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/11768/714959-colossus_super.jpg http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38780/951441-silver_surfer_super.jpghttp://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38780/915986-silver_surfer_resurrection_super.jpg

JakeTheBank
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/11768/714959-colossus_super.jpg http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38780/951441-silver_surfer_super.jpghttp://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38780/915986-silver_surfer_resurrection_super.jpg

laughing

Um, that still doesn't make one a rip off of the other. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Doctor-Alvis
It's like if Juggernaut and Xavier were naked they'd look exactly alike.

-Pr-

also

no, he wouldn't.

colossus has body parts. he also has a partially segmented outer layer. and hair.

Omega Vision
Hulk is a ripoff of Martian Manhunter because if they were naked then they'd be the same guy!

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by -Pr-
no, he wouldn't.

colossus has body parts. he also has a partially segmented outer layer. and hair. what do you mean?

-Pr-
what do you mean?

a great big penis.

don't think i can be any more blunt than that.

Colossus-Big C
Hulk is a ripoff of Martian Manhunter because if they were naked then they'd be the same guy! Martian Manhunter is a rip off of Piccolo.......

Colossus-Big C
Hulk is a ripoff of Martian Manhunter because if they were naked then they'd be the same guy! hulk is far bigger

-Pr-
Martian Manhunter is a rip off of Piccolo.......

except that MM predates him by about 20-30 odd years.

Silent Master
Martian Manhunter is a rip off of Piccolo.......

You're confusing "rip-off" with "looks similar".

Omega Vision
Actually more like 50. I'm pretty sure he's a Golden age character.

Parmaniac

Only because Piccolo needed time to travel to earth stick out tongue

-Pr-

yeah, my bad.

JakeTheBank
Anyway...Fantastic Four

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Anyway...Fantastic Four

Hank Henshaw. stick out tongue

Parmaniac

What MM is over 70 years old?

Omega Vision
yeah, my bad.
Actually I just checked and its close to 40, 1955 is MM's first appearance. He's actually credited along with Hal Jordan and Barry Allen as starting the Silver Age of Comics.

JakeTheBank

Verily! thumb up

Parmaniac

Is a rip off of the Terminator if they would be naked they would look exactly the same...

Omega Vision
What MM is over 70 years old?
Chronologically? I dunno I think he's supposed to be centuries old. He's biologically immortal more or less.

Parmaniac
Chronologically? I dunno I think he's supposed to be centuries old. He's biologically immortal more or less.

nono I meant the "comic creation age" but I already read your other post wink

JakeTheBank
Though it's not really "ripoff", I'd say their concepts are pretty similiar enough to go with this one: Ion Entity

Omega Vision
PC Mongul was stronger than Thanos but a lot dumber and less ambitious.

psycho gundam
thanos busted a planet in his debut issue

Omega Vision
Originally posted by psycho gundam
thanos busted a planet in his debut issue
And PC Mongul beat the shit out of a guy who sneezed a planet away. stick out tongue

Lord Feron
A guy posted the interview/quote on anther board a while ago, Starlin said Thanos meant to look like Metron but act like Darkseid. He made him look bulkier later on but gave him his floating chair to retain his Metron look.

Now im starting to compare the looks lol... hmmm Thanos does look a like a very bulky evil version of Metron ...a little bit...(im possibly high right now)....

psycho gundam
And PC Mongul beat the shit out of a guy who sneezed a planet away. stick out tongue but couldn't replicate that same feat himself....that's pre-crisis for ya stick out tongue

and don't say it's not in his powerset so he can't replicate it

Omega Vision
but couldn't replicate that same feat himself....that's pre-crisis for ya stick out tongue

He never tried sneezing away a planet now did he? stick out tongue

Mongul is easily a planet buster. Or do you not believe PC Superman could destroy a planet?

Parmaniac
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rzdB5a4kLAo/R6pRbckJHyI/AAAAAAAAFV0/aITHq0nL2fU/s400/Thanos_Mongul.jpg

talk about ripp off huh? cool shifty

psycho gundam
He never tried sneezing away a planet now did he? stick out tongue

Mongul is easily a planet buster. Or do you not believe PC Superman could destroy a planet? hard to say, pc superman's power go from liberia's GNP to america's on writer's whim, mongul could have caught him on a bad day *shrugs*

Zeuodin
Thanos isnt a copy of Darksied he was orginaly based on metron. Thanos is a copy of Mongul

illadelph12
Edit.

Just realized the thread is asking for the opposite.

Omega Vision
hard to say, pc superman's power go from liberia's GNP to america's on writer's whim, mongul could have caught him on a bad day *shrugs*
Not at all. In FTMWHE Mongul took the full fury of a pissed beyond reckoning SUperman and survived. He fought PC Supes at his best and dominated most of the fight.

Originally posted by Zeuodin
Thanos is a copy of Mongul
Nope, Mongul is a Thanos clone, making him a copy of a copy.

psycho gundam
he didn't try sneezing at him though kid (which is good since i actually love that story)

Omega Vision
he didn't try sneezing at him though kid (which is good since i actually love that story)
I think its safe to say that anyone who can take a bloodlusted PC Kryptonian's punches to the face has mad durability.

psycho gundam
almost as strong as the fortress of solitude's structural integrity since it withstood the shock waves of said blows.

Omega Vision
almost as strong as the fortress of solitude's structural integrity since it withstood the shock waves of said blows.
It was built by Superman, of course it could withstand it. It's the Silver Age planets could be pushed by hand instead of crumbling due to the force exerted on their surfaces.

psycho gundam
stop trying to make sense of this, it was retconned for a reason

Omega Vision
I wasn't trying to make sense of it, I just pointed out the senselessness of trying to point out things like shockwaves not wrecking the Fortress of Solitude. In PC days everything worked according to the demands of the writers so if they didn't want the Fortress to be annihilated by planet busting attack shockwaves then it wasn't annihilated.

psycho gundam
precisely, and it goes vastly the other way depending on the temperature of the office that day.

*achoo* there goes a dead galaxy, luckily supes accidentally sneezed in that arbitrary direction or else we would have a bigger problem on our hands

Omega Vision
precisely, and it goes vastly the other way depending on the temperature of the office that day.

*achoo* there goes a dead galaxy, luckily supes accidentally sneezed in that arbitrary direction or else we would have a bigger problem on our hands
If anything that feat was just being honest about the sort of strength Superman possessed. He shouldn't have been able to realistically interact with humans since his breath would probably blow a house down. If his cardiac muscle was of similar strength to his skeletal muscle then his heart beats alone would be like a hundred atomic bombs.

darthgoober
but couldn't replicate that same feat himself....that's pre-crisis for ya stick out tongue

Of course he couldn't replicate it, he was never exposed to the magical dust that enabled the sneeze(one time feat involving magic... you do the math).

bbrem123
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rzdB5a4kLAo/R6pRbckJHyI/AAAAAAAAFV0/aITHq0nL2fU/s400/Thanos_Mongul.jpg

talk about ripp off huh? cool shifty

haha wow

chomperx9
green arrow is a copy of hawkeye

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by chomperx9
green arrow is a copy of hawkeye

No, he's not.

Peterlane mk89
Sentry is a copy of God

Parmaniac

thumb up Oh thanks I thought I was alone on this...

Battlehammer
There are about 7 wolverine rip offs running around lol

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Battlehammer
laughing really 7? Can you count them?

Mindship
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Radiant_%28comics%29.jpg ....... http://inspirationoflyric.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dr-manhattan-3.jpg

The Radiant & Dr. Manhattan: separated at birth? (except one still has his toes and genitals).

-Pr-
Originally posted by Battlehammer

and i'm sure most of them are related to him, which makes it worse. stick out tongue

Originally posted by Mindship
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Radiant_%28comics%29.jpg ....... http://inspirationoflyric.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dr-manhattan-3.jpg

The Radiant & Dr. Manhattan: separated at birth? (except one still has his toes and genitals).

radiant always struck me as being a silver surfer type as opposed to a manhattan one.

Mindship
radiant always struck me as being a silver surfer type as opposed to a manhattan one. It was the poorly applied eye shadow that threw me off.

Actually, I always thought a copycat of the Surfer was when Dr. Strange went through his bald blue phase.

-Pr-
It was the poorly applied eye shadow that threw me off.

Actually, I always thought a copycat of the Surfer was when Dr. Strange went through his bald blue phase.

marvel has a copycat of surfer within their own universe?

Mindship
marvel has a copycat of surfer within their own universe? Probably why no one ever questioned it. But every time I looked at the guy, I kept thinking, now he looks like the Surfer. By the time Radiant or Manhattan came around, I was used to it.

Since he was mentioned: are there any obvious Surfer copycats (ie, simple design, rides a special platform)? Is it possible to design a platform-riding character w/o it being a Surfer rip-off?

Tha C-Master
Probably why no one ever questioned it. But every time I looked at the guy, I kept thinking, now he looks like the Surfer. By the time Radiant or Manhattan came around, I was used to it.

Since he was mentioned: are there any obvious Surfer copycats (ie, simple design, rides a special platform)? Is it possible to design a platform-riding character w/o it being a Surfer rip-off? Orion?

-Pr-
Probably why no one ever questioned it. But every time I looked at the guy, I kept thinking, now he looks like the Surfer. By the time Radiant or Manhattan came around, I was used to it.

Since he was mentioned: are there any obvious Surfer copycats (ie, simple design, rides a special platform)? Is it possible to design a platform-riding character w/o it being a Surfer rip-off?

Black Racer?

Mindship
The Golden Glider?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8842/282457-186490-golden-glider_large.jpg

embarrasment

Omega Vision
I heard that Kirby put Surfer on a board because he was sick of drawing spaceships. Good call Jack.

Parmaniac
The Silver Spaceshipper... sounds aweful stick out tongue

Mindship
I heard that Kirby put Surfer on a board because he was sick of drawing spaceships. Good call Jack. That, and the Beach Boys were popular at the time. He figured a surfer character would also be cool.

Then again, given that everyone else in the 60s was flying around in fancy spandex, the simple "natural" look was quite unique. It's hard not to see later characters like the Radiant or Manhattan (or the Fallen One w/o hair) as copycats.

Omega Vision
That, and the Beach Boys were popular at the time. He figured a surfer character would also be cool.

Then again, given that everyone else in the 60s was flying around in fancy spandex, the simple "natural" look was quite unique. It's hard not to see later characters like the Radiant or Manhattan (or the Fallen One w/o hair) as copycats.
I don't think Dr. Manhattan is a Surfer clone at all. He's a copy of Captain Atom.

Zeuodin
Takion>>Surfer
Orion=Thor
Gladiator<Superman
Doomsday>Hulk

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Zeuodin
Takion>>Surfer
Orion=Thor
Gladiator<Superman
Doomsday>Hulk

DD isn't a ripp off of Hulk in any way

Mindship
I don't think Dr. Manhattan is a Surfer clone at all. He's a copy of Captain Atom. Conceptually, yes. But DM and SS do share that simple, bald, au naturale look.

psycho gundam
DD isn't a ripp off of Hulk in any way sure he is.

his shtick is that he gets better as the fight goes on and he's a big, dumb brick that won't go down.

both rock pants that are seemingly indestructible.

Parmaniac
sure he is.

his shtick is that he gets better as the fight goes on and he's a big, dumb brick that won't go down.

both rock pants that are seemingly indestructible.

Are you joking or serios? confused

psycho gundam
kinda serious i guess

he's not a hulk clone, more like a cousin

Parmaniac
kinda serious i guess

he's not a hulk clone, more like a cousin

Ok they may have similaritys but the differences are bigger IMO

Hulk: Accidently turned into the Hulk
DD: Created to be superior by a scientist

Hulk: Alternative Banner persona
DD: Just plain stupid

Hulk: Green
DD: Gray with stone spikes

Hulk: Insane HF
DD: Revives from the dead and can't be killed the same way twice

Hulk: gets stronger and stronger (and more durabel)
DD: Evolves, means gains completely new abilitys etc.

yeah both are dumb and strong but isn't Juggernaut also strong and "not so smart" or Abomination

I don't see DD as a rip off

Omega Vision
I think Thing is the original comic book brick. I'm not sure though, perhaps that honor goes to Solomon Grundy.

Battlehammer
laughing really 7? Can you count them?
X-23, Wild Child, Sabre-tooth, Romulas, Lady Death Strike, Kaine,Kurmar however it spelled lol. Lol they might even be more

Tha C-Master
Daken?

bbrem123
Ok they may have similaritys but the differences are bigger IMO

Hulk: Accidently turned into the Hulk
DD: Created to be superior by a scientist

Hulk: Alternative Banner persona
DD: Just plain stupid

Hulk: Green
DD: Gray with stone spikes

Hulk: Insane HF
DD: Revives from the dead and can't be killed the same way twice

Hulk: gets stronger and stronger (and more durabel)
DD: Evolves, means gains completely new abilitys etc.

yeah both are dumb and strong but isn't Juggernaut also strong and "not so smart" or Abomination

I don't see DD as a rip off

doesnt hulk adapt to things how too...for example cant he now breath in space

Mindship
Hulk: inspired from Frankenstein & Jekyll/Hyde, classic man vs himself, wonderfully cathartic.

Doomsday: deliberate plot device designed to kill Superman.

Both are two of many bricks.

KingD19
Hulk has a gland that allows him to adapt to hostile environments, he can breathe and talk in space/underwater.

Doomsday adapts to something that killed/hurt him, then it won't affect him anymore, or he develops a power to specifically counter the thing that hurt/killed him.

Hulk doesn't do anything to adapt in combat, he just gets stronger, more durable, and heals quicker.

-K-M-
Blockbuster SMASH!

1. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/MachineMan616/SSOSV16-12.jpg
2. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/MachineMan616/SSOSV16-13a.jpg
3. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/MachineMan616/SSOSV16-14.jpg

shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.