Sleeping Dogs [formerly True Crime: Hong Kong]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
3jCfEV7FhKA

First True Crime took place in LA, the second one took place in NY, and now the third one is taking place in Hong Kong. Now that I think about it, it would explain why previous TC games had so many Asian criminals.

Game will be on the PS3 and 360.

Phanteros
Looks more better than NY which sucked ass.

Kazenji
Only played LA and did'nt bother with New york.

KingD19
They weren't the most spectacular games ever, but they were fun to play.

Demonic Phoenix
LA was decent enough, while NY sucked. If this one continues that trend...

Kazenji
Well the game has been saved thanks to Square-Enix

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9148-True-Crime--Hong-Kong-Thrown-a-Lifeline-as-Square-Enix-Pick-Up-the-Rights.html

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well the game has been saved thanks to Square-Enix

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9148-True-Crime--Hong-Kong-Thrown-a-Lifeline-as-Square-Enix-Pick-Up-the-Rights.html

Out of the frying pan and into the boiler.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Out of the frying pan and into the boiler.

Square Enix, when they want to, can make some damn good games imo. Or at least publish them.

socool8520
Originally posted by -Pr-
Square Enix, when they want to, can make some damn good games imo. Or at least publish them.

Agreed. And they already made a pretty good sand box game with Just Cause 2. it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it was fun to play. kinda like 007 meets Saint's Row. I'm just happy the game wasn't scrapped. I enjoyed the first one way back and the second one was decent.

the ninjak
I loved True Crimes New York. A buggy but MASSIVELY underrated game.
And it still exists in my top games of all time.

Sandbox games are better when you're playing the cop.

I'm stoked that Square brought the rights. Bring on the sandbox goodcop/badcop martial artist/shooter awesomeness.

Kazenji
Its now been renamed.........."Sleeping Dogs"

SHIRceS-blA

the ninjak
Live action trailer bleh! Still hoping for the best.

-Pr-
If they're gonna spend that much money on a trailer, it better not suck.

Kazenji
Screenshots

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/sleeping-dogs-screenshots-give-glimpses-of-open-world-hong-kong-chaos/

-Pr-
Until I see gameplay I'm not really bothered tbh.

jalek moye
I saw some gameplay looks ok. Nothing special imo

Kazenji
Now for some gameplay footage

YhArRQS6U2Y

KingD19
The Dragon Head guy is the blind old man from Balls of Fury. I love his voice.

Kazenji
And also Lo Pan from Little China.

jalek moye
There are some interviews that show some more direct gameplay.

So far my impressions are story seems good and cool, but gameplay seems just alright, not bad but not really good.

KingD19
Holy crap, I forgot about Lo Pan. He was so young in that.

the ninjak
Gameplay looks cool. I'm hoping handcuffing is an option though instead of brutally murdering everyone you come by.

socool8520
Originally posted by the ninjak
Gameplay looks cool. I'm hoping handcuffing is an option though instead of brutally murdering everyone you come by.

What fun is a sandbox game if you can't murder everyone in it? lol. nah, I agree. Not much of a cop if you kill everyone. lol

KingD19
You're undercover, and I think your superiors might get super pissed off if you kill everyone they want apprehended. Should be similar enough to True Crime LA and New York in that you can kill or capture if you want.

the ninjak
Originally posted by socool8520
What fun is a sandbox game if you can't murder everyone in it? lol. nah, I agree. Not much of a cop if you kill everyone. lol

Arrest a few for questioning kill the rest. Let God judge em. smile

the ninjak
39DIeWQWiSQ

Kazenji
3sASRU8zioQ

Kazenji
EmNqsu9gbR8

Kazenji
Gameplay from PAX East

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-east-sleeping-dogs/728886

Kazenji
Could the mods rename the title of this thread

and also

QWvxJGZYdH8

the ninjak
The more I see of this game the more it seems to deter from what I loved of True Crimes New York.

Stealthily taking photos of crime deals looks interesting though. As well as the car chase battles.

I just hope the game allows you to wander the streets as you wish arresting goons as you come across them. But considering the undercover gig I doubt that would be possible considering you will blow your cover. A shame. Then again this isn't a True Crimes game anymore.

Nemesis X
q-vSOMB-PNY

Nephthys
A surprisingly negative review. I thought this looked really good from the trailers.

Someone should probably rename the thread.

Phanteros
Not really a bad review, Joe just uses review scale like it ment to be used. The game is decent enough just with some work it can be good.

Nemesis X
Thread name can be changed for Sleeping Dogs but no one wants to do the same for Playstation All-Stars? O_o

Kazenji
I've also read that the scale of the city isn't as big as something like GTA...but its just the right size.

the ninjak
Yeah if True Crimes New York could recreate an actual island of Manhattan.

Then at least a recreating of an aspect of Hong Kong was to be expected.
With the graphics shown the whole of Hong Kong would've been impossible.
Obviously.

So this game is no more than GTA with enhanced graphics in an Asian setting.

Could still work but I'm already lost as an interested party. This is just a nail in the coffin in one of my fav glitchy series.

I'll still give it a try after my studies though I'm not seeing it being more than GTA meets InFamous meets Just Cause.

Kazenji
Don't know where you got the Just Cause part from it definitely hasn't got that much freedom from what i've gathered

and it also sets itself apart from the GTA games too.

-Pr-
Originally posted by the ninjak
Yeah if True Crimes New York could recreate an actual island of Manhattan.

Then at least a recreating of an aspect of Hong Kong was to be expected.
With the graphics shown the whole of Hong Kong would've been impossible.
Obviously.

So this game is no more than GTA with enhanced graphics in an Asian setting.

Could still work but I'm already lost as an interested party. This is just a nail in the coffin in one of my fav glitchy series.

I'll still give it a try after my studies though I'm not seeing it being more than GTA meets InFamous meets Just Cause.

It has things that GTA doesnt, like bullet-time and an enhanced hand to hand combat system. plus, context-sensitive kills.

the ninjak
The Just Cause aspect of my drunken rant came from the jumping on cars thing.

Has anyone played this game yet? Any personal opinions?

The MA aspects do look really cool.

82 on metacritic.
8.5 on IGN.
And 7/10 on Eurogamer.

Kazenji
From what i hear the actual story is short, Then you have all the side missions and so on.

socool8520
The combat is pretty fun. makes you feel pretty BA when you destroy like 10 dudes with counter moves and not take a hit. I've only done it a couple of times though. haven't played all the way through, but for what I have played, it is fun. Wouldn't really put it above saints row and the like, but definitely entertaining.

I have also eperienced glitchiness in the form of the character not being able to move at certain random points in the game. It is fixed if you restart from a savepoint or load, but it is still kind of annoying though.

Kazenji
This game has gotten a shit ton of DLC even a horror themed one, One released recently which continues the games story

(Also the search function on this site is so broken, i was typing in the name Sleeping Dogs and couldn't find it but yet it can find True Crime erm )

BackFire
Sweet game. Under rated.

KingD19
Awesome game. The only thing I'd wish they ke[t from the True Crime formula was the branching storyline based on your decisions.

Like if Wei Shin could have stayed as a Red Pole and cut his ties with the cops and things like that.

Kazenji
Like to know when a Game of the year edition will be announced for this game

been hanging off waiting for it to be announced.

-Pr-
I love this game, and I haven't even played any of the non-free DLC. Got it cheap on Steam a ways back but only really started playing it again recently. IMO it's easily in the same ballpark as SR and GTA.

Kazenji
Would like to get it, But i don't want to buy it and then start getting some of the DLC for it. Only later for them to announce a Game of the year edition.

BackFire
I would think that if a Game of the Year edition was going to come out it'd already have been announced.

KingD19
Yeah. There don't seem to be any GotY plans. All the DLC has come out and they're starting on the sequel.

-Pr-
Yeah agreed.

Just finished story mode today; damn that was impressive.

KingD19
The story was great. But it could have been so much better if they'd kept the branching storyline aspect of the past True Crime games. I'm hopeful they'll implement it in the next installment...and maybe on next gen.

Also the Bruce Lee DLC was awesome.

Kazenji
Originally posted by KingD19
Yeah. There don't seem to be any GotY plans. All the DLC has come out and they're starting on the sequel.

Which is a shame

guess i could get the game, Had a look at the DLC for it basically cheap as chips for most of it.

KingD19
Yeah. The game plus the DLC's won't cost that much especially now. But it's all worth it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by KingD19
Yeah. The game plus the DLC's won't cost that much especially now. But it's all worth it.

Just surprised that there hasn't been any GotY plans, Oh well their decision.

-Pr-
Doesn't a game technically have to be voted GOTY by at least one publication before they'll realistically do that?

Or was Sleeping Dogs voted as such? I genuinely don't know.

Kazenji
Doesn't a game technically have to be voted GOTY by at least one publication before they'll realistically do that?

That seems to be the case

don't know how Dead Island got it what with all its bugs/glitches.

Demonic Phoenix
I love this game, and I haven't even played any of the non-free DLC. Got it cheap on Steam a ways back but only really started playing it again recently. IMO it's easily in the same ballpark as SR and GTA.

In terms of storyline and how much I personally enjoyed the game, I'd say it's superior to most games in both the GTA & SR franchises. Driving and shooting are also handled better when compared to most games in those 2 franchises, IMO; never mind hand to hand combat and platforming.

Drug Busts were hilarious though. I laughed every time I sent the police after the wrong person. Sometimes even after a civilian.

Also: _fFruTkJOGs

-Pr-
Agreed on the story part. In fact, I would go so far as to say Sleeping Dogs played like a normal 3rd person action game; it just happened to have a huge open world added in. In a good way. Because of that, it had a more cinematic story than the other two tended to really have.

I wouldn't say the guns are better (and I still prefer GTA's driving), but that's not to say Sleeping Dogs did it badly. It didn't. The game does so many things right, and it really was a joy to play. It actually felt like one of those old Hong Kong action movies. Really brutal and not afraid to tug at the heart-strings.

Demonic Phoenix
Makes sense when you look at it that way. Combat and platforming are handled well enough that it could be seen as a 3rd person action game with an open world environment to run around in.

Up until GTA V, I didn't really like the driving and shooting mechanics in a GTA game. srug
Only reasons I drove were to run over pedestrians and get around in missions. Was way too easy to lose control of the car. So far, the best car handling I've seen in an open world GTA-esque game has been in Mafia.

Yeah, the game was certainly a good call back to those action movies.

Will you get the DLC? I'm waiting for a sale or some such.

S_D_J
I can't believe how much I loved this game.

I was impressed by the demo, but never got around to actually buying the game.
I got it for free on PS Plus. God the game was great. Much better than GTAIV imho.
GTAIV has great production values. it's miles away technically than SD (a re-purposed PS2 game) it does many things better than SD, but the story and the overall fun I got out SD does not compare. TBOGT fix many of GTAIV problems (i.e. fun to play) but SD was a blast to play from start to finish. A 3rd person action game in one sandbox level is the best way to describe it.

that being said the driving was atrocious. coming from GTAIV, cars felt somewhat glue to the ground. motorcycles were a pain to turn (they practically handled like they were cars)... but to be honest driving felt arcade-y so they still were fun enough to drive.

Since I didn't actually "buy" the game, I felt compelled to at least support the developers by buying the DLC, that is if Squanix still gives them money.

The DLC isn't all that great, is quite short, but still retain what makes the game fun so a little bit more of this game to enjoy was enough for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.