Draft Round 2: Batdude123 and TheKahn's Holiday Herald Tournament

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheKahn
Power Limit
- High herald level

Prep
- 5 minutes prior to each fight in a well stocked lounge adjacent to the battle field. No extending of that prep time via artificial means (ie speed force or time manipulation).

Equipment:
- Characters are allowed to carry only what they normally have in their possession. For example a Green Lantern get his/her ring but Reed Richards can't go back to his lab for the ultimate nullifer or anything else.

Special restrictions:
- Power Duplication: Banned
- Power copying: Banned
- Constructs/Summoning: No summoning and only constructs similar to a Green Lantern's are allowable.
- Time Manipulation: Banned
- Matter Manipulation: Banned on opponents and environment-large scale (ie no turning the entire planet into swiss cheese) otherwise allowed
Reality Manipulation - Banned
- Speed Force: Banned as a method for stealing speed or extending prep time, otherwise speed force characters are allowed
- Meshing Limit: Power amping is allowed as long as it does not put a character above the Herald limit and can be accomplished once the fight starts or in prep time
- Do feats by the character count if they are in comics that come out after drafts? Yes, as long as they are consistent with the characters' other showings
- Magic users are allowed, so long as they obey the rest of the limits
- No immortality or physically indestrucible characters and no charcters able to continiously transfer their consciousness to an endless number of bodies - one death = out of the fight.
- no teleportation
- no tech creation that has the potential to raise any team/character above the herald limit

Trade Round:
After the third draft round is over and before the actual battles start, we are going to have a "character trade" thread. This means that if one team desires to have a character from another team on their side, they must offer one of their choices as a trade in order to get him.

Drafting Format:
One person will debate for one character on a given team, the other person will debate for the 2nd character, and then they can both use/share the last character for debating.

That means both debaters will have to declare who they are going to be debating with. However, this does not have to be determined/announced until after the drafting and trade rounds are finished.

----------------------------------------

Confirmed Teams and Drafted Characters

Team psycho charlotte - Kyle Rayner (GL)

Team darthgoober & Blair Wind - Silver Surfer

Team Omega Vision & JL King - Wally West (Flash)

Team JaketheBank - Thor

Team Twig & Berries (Ha Son and Validus) - Superman

Team: id369 and King Kandy - Genis-Vell

Team Philosophia and PR - Hal Jordan (GL)

Team Leonidas & Galen007 - Blue Superman

--------------------------------

Again, please provide the name of both participants, the name of the desired character, and a link to a bio of that character to secure him/her.

JakeTheBank
Team JaketheBank and TBA partner draft Hank Henshaw for Draft Round 2: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Cyborg_Superman

psycho gundam
team psycho charlotte picks zatanna zatara

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Zatanna_Zatara_(New_Earth)

darthgoober
darthgoober/Blair Wind

Dr. Doom
http://marvel.com/universe/Doctor_Doom_(Victor_von_Doom)

King Kandy
Id/Kandy drafts Sentry:

http://marvel.com/universe/Sentry_(Robert_Reynolds)

xJLxKing
Hopefully Omega won't kill be for this
Omega Vision/JL King
AS Superman

batdude123
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Hopefully Omega won't kill be for this
Omega Vision/JL King
Superman

Already taken.

xJLxKing
AS Superman

Digi
Sentry's most recent showings call into question the invulnerability limit. He brought himself together after being torn apart at the molecular level by Molecule Man.

King Kandy
Originally posted by xJLxKing
AS Superman
imo, he's above the herald caps.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by King Kandy

Not to mention I thought we were limited to mainstream continuity characters (ie. New Earth, Earth 616, etc.)

TheKahn
Originally posted by Digi
Sentry's most recent showings call into question the invulnerability limit.

That is certainly an issue. If he is allowed, one "death"/ko would be enough to take him out of the fight. He doesn't get to keep coming back to life.

Does anyone else have a issue with this pick?

xJLxKing
Above? He is weaker then Current Superman. Most view him as inferiors and those are Superman Fans who say it

TheKahn

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Not to mention I thought we were limited to mainstream continuity characters (ie. New Earth, Earth 616, etc.)

I tend to agree with both. Is there any argument as to why he should be allowed?

xJLxKing
Yes.
He has his own continuity, that is completely different to the mainstream one. He has enough showings and feats to use him to prove most claim just like Superman Blue and Red

-Pr-
I'm not against AS Superman in general, as i don't see him as being any way superior to normal Superman.

I'd worry about Sentry, though.

TheKahn
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm not against AS Superman in general, as i don't see him as being any way superior to normal Superman.

I'd worry about Sentry, though.

What specifically are your concerns about Sentry?

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheKahn
What specifically are your concerns about Sentry?

that he's going to be considered to be > molecule man as standard, which to me is > high herald and thus should make him invalid.

if you guys are going to insist on allowing him under the condition that one kill is an immediate removal from the fight, then i'm not going to argue about it.

TheKahn
AS Superman and Sentry are being discussed. Should have an answer shortly.

id369

King Kandy
Something else i'm concerned about, is AS Superman's ability to give his powers to others with serum.

xJLxKing
It should only be fair that if you allow Blue/red Superman, you should allow As Superman

-Pr-
Something else i'm concerned about, is AS Superman's ability to give his powers to others with serum.

that wouldn't be against the rules, though, if the character he gives it to is human with tech or whatever.

TheKahn

Power meshing is allowed however one has to be able to convince the judges that such feats are accomplish-able within the allotted time and with the provided resources.

TheKahn
Ok, we've reached a decision. AS Superman is under the Herald limit and is allowable.

The Sentry, however, is not going to be allowed. There were serious issues about the nature and extent of his powers plus the questionable future of the character in Dark Avengers. The character is just too controversial at this point.

King Kandy
Alright then. Id/Kandy drafts Quasar (Wendell):

http://marvel.com/universe/Quasar_(Wendell_Vaughn)

TheKahn
Alright then. Id/Kandy drafts Quasar (Wendell):

http://marvel.com/universe/Quasar_(Wendell_Vaughn)

thumb up

TheKahn

Team psycho charlotte - Kyle Rayner (GL), Zatanna

Team darthgoober & Blair Wind - Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom

Team Omega Vision & JL King - Wally West (Flash), All Star Superman

Team JaketheBank - Thor, Cyborg Superman

Team: id369 and King Kandy - Genis-Vell, Quasar

Team Leonidas & Galen007 - Blue Superman

King Kandy
I'm also concerned about Cyborg Superman, the tier thread lists him as above herald and the sort of people he's usually put against in the vs forum makes me wonder... and he's virtually unkillable (much like Sentry).

JakeTheBank
I'm also concerned about Cyborg Superman, the tier thread lists him as above herald and the sort of people he's usually put against in the vs forum makes me wonder... and he's virtually unkillable (much like Sentry).

He's immortal in the sense his consciousness will live on, but his bodies can and have been destroyed.

batdude123
Well, we won't be allowing Cyborg Superman to have the rings, if anybody's concerned about that aspect.

-Pr-
as long as destroying his body counts as a KO, i don't mind having him in the tourney...

TheKahn

He gets his standard half-kryptonian body which is hardly indestructible. In addition he won't be able to transfer his consciousness into other bodies - one death = out of the fight.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by batdude123
Well, we won't be allowing Cyborg Superman to have the rings, if anybody's concerned about that aspect.

May I ask why? Do the Oan/Qwardians rings really put him so far beyond high herald?

-Pr-
May I ask why? Do the Oan/Qwardians rings really put him so far beyond high herald?

god yes. stick out tongue

leonidas
Originally posted by darthgoober
darthgoober/Blair Wind

Dr. Doom
http://marvel.com/universe/Doctor_Doom_(Victor_von_Doom)

grrr . . . . .

batdude123

He's already tipping the scales of herald level without the rings.

Giving the rings to him puts him above the caps, imo.

id369

batdude123

batdude123
We both agree that it would be fine.

So does this mean that you wish to give up Quasar now in order to retain Sentry?

leonidas
leo and galan take loki.

http://marvel.com/universe/Loki

TheKahn

id369

TheKahn

Team Leonidas & Galen007 - Blue Superman, Loki

id369

TheKahn

id369
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1714/77299079.jpg

psycho gundam
kandy's busting your cock about drafting sentry eh?

that bastard

TheKahn
Originally posted by id369
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1714/77299079.jpg

Isn't that from Marvels by Alex Ross. If I'm not mistaken, that isn't canon. And even if it was, I fail to see the relevance of a photographer's opinion the superhero hierarchy.

batdude123
Originally posted by id369
I have a question, if Energy Superman and All Star Superman are allowed to be drafted. Can Ion 2 Kyle be drafted?

Nah.

psycho gundam
Isn't that from Marvels by Alex Ross. If I'm not mistaken, that isn't canon. And even if it was, I fail to see the relevance of a photographer's opinion the superhero hierarchy. it's the "pa kent" power all humans of a certain age develop, his opinion is as good as a watcher's

id369
Originally posted by psycho gundam
kandy's busting your cock about drafting sentry eh?

that bastard
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5448/pm2sr.jpg

Surprisingly no its me. Because of this reply, I place a lot of faith over Kandy in regards to Sentry.

Anyhow it would have bun fun to have Sentry and X-Man to back up Genis-Vell. awesrug

JakeTheBank
He's already tipping the scales of herald level without the rings.

Giving the rings to him puts him above the caps, imo.

Not trying to rock the boat or anything, but what exact feats with either the Oan/Qwardian rings does Henshaw have putting him over High Herald? So far, he's only used them for simple constructs to augment physical might (ala the fight with Superman) and for energy attacks. I don't honestly see what he has done on panel to make him > High Herald. His durability, while high, doesn't make him invincible. Superman has punched his jaw off before. And him possessing multiple rings doesn't explictly make him so much more powerful than normal. Unless I'm missing something, his feats and showings with the rings is nothing that a powerful energy manipulator/GL couldn't replicate.

TheKahn
Not trying to rock the boat or anything, but what exact feats with either the Oan/Qwardian rings does Henshaw have putting him over High Herald? So far, he's only used them for simple constructs to augment physical might (ala the fight with Superman) and for energy attacks. I don't honestly see what he has done on panel to make him > High Herald. His durability, while high, doesn't make him invincible. Superman has punched his jaw off before. And him possessing multiple rings doesn't explictly make him so much more powerful than normal. Unless I'm missing something, his feats and showings with the rings is nothing that a powerful energy manipulator/GL couldn't replicate.

mhmm Comments anyone?

-Pr-
henshaw's showings with the rings don't really matter, though, when it's Jake himself that would be controlling the character and doing things with the rings that we'd know they're capable of, but that henshaw himself might not have done.

id369

Ditto. Same here only replace Henshaw w/rings, with Ion 2 Kyle. uggh

JakeTheBank
henshaw's showings with the rings don't really matter, though, when it's Jake himself that would be controlling the character and doing things with the rings that we'd know they're capable of, but that henshaw himself might not have done.

So would Henshaw w/Rings put him over a veteran Green Lantern when it hasn't been implied before?

-Pr-
So would Henshaw w/Rings put him over a veteran Green Lantern when it hasn't been implied before?

depends on who's writing him. stick out tongue

JakeTheBank
I wouldn't have a prob with Ion 2 Kyle, tbh

batdude123

Henshaw without the rings might be considered above veteran GLs depending on who you talk to.

He doesn't need outside powerups.

You've got Henshaw without rings for this tourney. Take it or leave it. erm

JakeTheBank
depends on who's writing him. stick out tongue

IMO, Henshaw's tech/rings is what makes him equal to Superman. Granted, he has Kryptonian DNA, but since he's a cyborg, he's not as powerful as a full blooded/flesh made Kryptonian (see: Superman). He's basically got the Darth Vader effect going for him.

xJLxKing
The rings themselves give any user power to potentially become a high herald. Even a rookie would easily make it to low herald. Take a look at Mongul who had the Yellow Rings much more. He himself had about 6 and was able to take on top GL's with each one. Not to mention that the fact that Mongul isn't close to Cyborgs level.

If you use your imagination, anyone with the rings, strong or weak can defeat members. Why? They rings have shown powers to teleport, remove time, protect against TP, knowledge, and of course energy attacks that have the potential to stop even a big bang.

Cyborg Superman shown that he can beat Superman. That alone should put him high herald. Now add it what he can do with the ring, and you got yourself someone very tough

TheKahn
edit

-Pr-
IMO, Henshaw's tech/rings is what makes him equal to Superman. Granted, he has Kryptonian DNA, but since he's a cyborg, he's not as powerful as a full blooded/flesh made Kryptonian (see: Superman). He's basically got the Darth Vader effect going for him.

wow. i honestly didn't think you'd see him that way, tbh, so i understand where you're coming from. the problem is that for most of us, henshaw without the rings is on superman's level at the very least. add in the ability to take an insane amount of damage and he pushes the rules without the rings.

JakeTheBank
Henshaw without the rings might be considered above veteran GLs depending on who you talk to.

He doesn't need outside powerups.

You've got Henshaw without rings for this tourney. Take it or leave it. erm

Fair enough.

id369
I wouldn't have a prob with Ion 2 Kyle, tbh

Anyone else? embarrasment

sad

psycho gundam
erm

TheKahn
In case I don't get the chance later, I just wanted to thank everyone for being so patient and understanding this round. Even when people didn't get what they wanted, they were reasonable and civil. Its made things a great deal easier on Batdude and myself. Its much appreciated smile

JakeTheBank
thumb up No prob

batdude123
SHOCK OF THE CENTURY!!! Team Twig and Berries has formally withdrawn from this tournament!!! nuts nuts nuts

-Pr-
Team Philosophia and -Pr-, for our second draft pick, choose Superman

psycho gundam
^ i told you so

batdude123
It wasn't that hard to predict. ermm

psycho gundam
that pr would want him and trade for him or that the other team would withdraw and leave him up for grabs?

i just had a hunch superman would get shifted around, i was correct. *shrugs*

Original Smurph
It wasn't that hard to predict. ermm Steev, you must be psychic or sumthin.

batdude123
or that the other team would withdraw and leave him up for grabs?

Hello.

Originally posted by Original Smurph
Steev, you must be psychic or sumthin.

I r tha bestest!

illadelph12
Team Philosophia and -Pr-, for our second draft pick, choose Superman

You know I'm contractually obligated to vote against you now, right?

-Pr-
Originally posted by illadelph12
You know I'm contractually obligated to vote against you now, right?

sad

darthgoober
I'm no expert on Zatarra but is she really an appropriate pick for this kind of thing? Seems like I remember some people giving her the win over guys like Thanos and Dr. Strange. In fact now it seems like batdude shot her down as a pick during his last "Under Thanos" tourney.

I mean don't get me wrong because I'm not all that familiar with her so she may very well be a suitable pick, I just figured it was worth checking on.

King Kandy
Now that you think about it it seems like every versus thread she's in, people are like "she'll just say 'eid' and win". Pretty much no matter the opponent.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by darthgoober
I'm no expert on Zatarra but is she really an appropriate pick for this kind of thing? Seems like I remember some people giving her the win over guys like Thanos and Dr. Strange. In fact now it seems like batdude shot her down as a pick during his last "Under Thanos" tourney.

I mean don't get me wrong because I'm not all that familiar with her so she may very well be a suitable pick, I just figured it was worth checking on.

1. She prefers to be called by 1st name.
2. In Thanos thread only hardcore Thanos haters argue that Zee can win more than one round out of 10. The only way the rate can be boosted is via giving Zee the onesided prep.
3. She's probably the top pick as mage in the tourney... though I admit, getting Classic Strange banned made me rethink some draft plans. And Batdude OK'd Zee personally... mostly due to the thing that she prefers single way of casting- logomancy... potent, yes... hard to negate- no, if you know how.

She's also rated top of mid herald tier (prolly high herald) as per debates in the tier thread. And Batdude's tourney was largely a inbetweneer between hearsay and scans. Otherwise I can't imagine banning Zee AND allowing Black Alice.

Charlotte DeBel
Now that you think about it it seems like every versus thread she's in, people are like "she'll just say 'eid' and win". Pretty much no matter the opponent.

Which is stupid, if you think about itsmile And people say all sorts of things in those... In fact, there's no way she's more powerful that Dr Strange or Dr Fate...that's where things start getting banned.
A lot of her high end feats are Vertigo=dubious canonicity.

But if the directors of the tourney are against Zee, we'll happily replace her with someone else. But considering OHK is banned anyways, and based on her strictly canon feats... she's OK, creme de la creme pick but OK.

I'll happily draft another person instead of Zee IF there's concrete proof her average showings are more than high herald level. Not what random people say in random threads...
Word of tourney directors work as well. I'm not going to throw a bitchfest.

TheKahn

Team Philosophia and PR - Hal Jordan (GL), Superman

Digi
Zatanna says something backwards and it happens. She's like the Doctor, but with a more stupid plot device through which to channel her powers. The potential is there for beyond herald, unless there's actual limits on what she can pronounce into being. I see no problems with anyone else on the list.

Goober, I'm surprised you didn't talk Blair into your He-Man/Skeletor idea. That would've be comedy.

xJLxKing
Seriously, she has temporarily taken star breaker down. Her fight with Amazo can give you the intention that she has no limits

TheKahn
Any other comments on Zatarra?
Is there anything she can do that Surfer or a GL can't? confused

King Kandy
Any other comments on Zatarra?
Is there anything she can do that Surfer or a GL can't? confused
Anything she can say backwards that GL or Surfer can't do...

id369
I for one have no qualms with Zatarra.

-Pr-
While i trust Charlotte and Psycho not to abuse Zatanna's powerset, the potential for such a powerful character with the mindset of a debator isn't exactly a nice thought, imo.

psycho gundam
Anything she can say backwards that GL or Surfer can't do... i'd like to see her evolve a planet's entire populace a billion years into their genetic potential.

food for though, the human race has been around for about 2 million give or take, and things only started happening around 30,000 years ago. erm

While i trust Charlotte and Psycho not to abuse Zatanna's powerset, i never abuse women

id369
Come one, if we ban Zatarra might well banned any and all energy/matter manipulators who can accomplish the same feat with a stray thought.

Team Psycho/Charlotte will not produce a claim that has not been shown on panel. And no simply wording her comments backwards, will not produce a spell.

Ex. Gib Gnab Tsalb, will not all of sudden produce Big Bang Blast.

Kris Blaze
I'm back bitches.

Me and KM are teaming up No offense to Jake, but our current draft would not work well/I heard you're going with Rage and we're drafting the following:

Captain Comet: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Comet
Nate Grey: http://marvel.wikia.com/Nathan_Grey_(Earth-295)

-Pr-
i'd like to see her evolve a planet's entire populace a billion years into their genetic potential.

food for though, the human race has been around for about 2 million give or take, and things only started happening around 30,000 years ago. erm

i never abuse women

i noticed you didn't include the word "yet" in your statement.

psycho gundam
superman will do it before her

darthgoober
Originally posted by Digi
Zatanna says something backwards and it happens. She's like the Doctor, but with a more stupid plot device through which to channel her powers. The potential is there for beyond herald, unless there's actual limits on what she can pronounce into being. I see no problems with anyone else on the list.

Goober, I'm surprised you didn't talk Blair into your He-Man/Skeletor idea. That would've be comedy.
I thought about it for a minute, but the High Herald cap on this thing wouldn't have allowed for it wink .

TheKahn

Team Philosophia and PR - Hal Jordan (GL), Superman

Team Kris Blaze & KM - Captain Comet, Nate Grey

With 8 teams we can move on to third round of the draft. The time for it will be announced as soon as possible as will an answer to the question of Zatanna.

TheKahn
Third Round of the draft will be held tonight at 9pm EST (so that everyone can have the time around christmas off).

Also, we've decide to allow Zatanna so long as she follows the rules applicable to everyone else. And as with other characters/teams, we'll be on the lookout for anything that seems to violate the letter or spirit of the rules. no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.