What Do Retail Stores Do With Returned Items?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shutter Control
Specifically TVs, though.

Like the store Best Buy. If something is bought and returned to them, do they sell it again to people?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but, things that are bought at a store are assumed to be new and unopened, right? I'm asking since I once bought a TV from Best Buy (didn't have a label saying "used" or anything) but it looked like someone opened the box and messed with the stuff inside it...

I'm just asking if it is a general rule that, when someone goes to the store, and buys something that ISN'T labeled "used" or anything, that particular item is new. I know this is the case for software but what about things that are returnable like TV's?

Scythe
They're either shipped back to the manufacturer if it's defective, or if the item was opened and just not wanted, they seal it up and sell it again.

You can return it and say: "Hey, I didn't want an open box, who knows what the hell could be missing."

I've done it before.

Shutter Control
Oh wow...

LOL. Serious? I mean, what about a game console?! They do this for that too?

I'm considering buying from manufacturers from now on...I guess one of the few benefits of buying from retail stores...is that you get covered by plans...which cost...so that's probably not much of a benefit. laughing

In fact, the first TV I bought a few days ago was returned by me. However when I opened it for the first time I realized some of the styrofoam was cracked or missing. I also returned it for the fact there was something up with a pixel or two (actually just a small slightly wiggly line on the screen or inside the screen) which is noticeable on a white screen. They inspected this and said nothing was wrong with it! I guess this means they're re-selling this piece of shit, when they did not even truly check for the fault because as I told them it was visible only on a WHITE screen, yet they didn't even hook up anything to it and as a result the screen was BLACK when they were "inspecting" it and they were not able to see what I was talking about. Best. Buy. Geek. Squad. SUCKS, and that's all I have to say. At least at the retail store I was at.

Well, thanks for the info sycthe. I should have figured this myself since I bought from them before and found out the box wasn't truly new and unopened. I had assumed this all my life because the box looked sealed as in factory-sealed by the original manufacturers but apparently no, Best Buy does this shit or not depending on whether or not they have to do it (in the case of a returned item they do, if the item is returnable).

Scythe
Most stores do that. I've seen people return toys and they just tape the toy back in it's box and put it up in the aisles again. It's not until someone says that it's broken that they put it in a different pile where sometimes it's refurbished or other times it's recycled, and in some cases, thrown away.

Shutter Control
I'm wondering do original manufacturers do this too? Like if I buy the TV from Sony.com...because I was thinking if I order it directly from them, I shouldn't be expecting anything like this...but if they have a return policy, does that automatically mean there's a CHANCE I may get an opened item someone just didn't want?

If so, I guess the best thing is to make a visit to the actual warehouse that makes them...or is that a factory...I don't know...

the.kenzo
Originally posted by Shutter Control
I'm wondering do original manufacturers do this too? Like if I buy the TV from Sony.com...because I was thinking if I order it directly from them, I shouldn't be expecting anything like this...but if they have a return policy, does that automatically mean there's a CHANCE I may get an opened item someone just didn't want?

If so, I guess the best thing is to make a visit to the actual warehouse that makes them...or is that a factory...I don't know...

Almost always, no.

Buying direct from manufacturers, you have the option of buying New, Used, or Refurbished (repaired). If you buy new, your item should be brand spanking new and in an unopened box.

One Free Man
gamestop will always tell you.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Shutter Control
Specifically TVs, though.

Like the store Best Buy. If something is bought and returned to them, do they sell it again to people?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but, things that are bought at a store are assumed to be new and unopened, right? I'm asking since I once bought a TV from Best Buy (didn't have a label saying "used" or anything) but it looked like someone opened the box and messed with the stuff inside it...

I'm just asking if it is a general rule that, when someone goes to the store, and buys something that ISN'T labeled "used" or anything, that particular item is new. I know this is the case for software but what about things that are returnable like TV's?

take 'em in the back, destroy them and re sale them laughing out loud laughing

Shutter Control
Originally posted by the.kenzo
Almost always, no.

Buying direct from manufacturers, you have the option of buying New, Used, or Refurbished (repaired). If you buy new, your item should be brand spanking new and in an unopened box. What you said is very interesting.

I wonder why, retail stores then don't do the same thing? I don't think they have those 3 categories. Guess it's just a characteristic of retail stores then?

Yeah I'm going to have to call Sony and ask for details...

Peach
Most retail stores will not taken returns on opened electronics.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Peach
Most retail stores will not taken returns on opened electronics.

That may be true, but that's not the case for Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Ultimate Electronics.

Mom and Pop stores to mid-sized stores, maybe. Though I've never shopped at one of those places for my electronics. I either shop around for good deals online, or go to one of the above stores. (Never Target, though.)

However, none of them accept opened games. They will, however, accept unopened game returns.

BackFire
Sometimes they'll sell it as 'refurbished' or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.