Original Trilogy: Bad Stunt Directors?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anakin4Ever
I realize that the Original Trilogy was made before the Prequel Trilogy, so the effects are definitely worse, but this is kind of odd. If you compare the lightsaber duels in the old movies to the new movies...they're too different. I don't mean all of the jumping around and stuff, I mean the swinging of the lightsabers.

The Original Trilogy's Luke and Vader sucked sooo much at combat...I think anyone could have matched their fighting prowess. It's so slow and weak. Does that mean they had bad stunt directors? Effects have nothing to do with it, really.

MadMel
the lightsabers back in those days were really heavy - apparently, when they were making 'a new hope' none of the actors could even hold it properly with one hand erm

JediRobin23
Lightsabers are cool

King Kandy
Back in new hope, the lightsabers would break if you hit them together with much force. That's why in the Obi-wan vs Vader fight, they barely even do any fighting. It improved as the next two got made, but not much.

-Pr-
people honestly think this is bad?

f4XMgQUqLZ0

headless robot
Hamill actually did a lot of training, I remember an interview with him where he mentions akido as one of the training methods.

the truth is, those movies are old and are on par with what you would have found in most movies of that era. a good example would be the first highlander film which was made around the same era also has fairly basic sword fighting and is nowhere near what was done in the following films and tv series.

but obi wan (alec gueniss) and darth vader were pretty sucky.

King Kandy
The fights weren't that bad. Only the one in new hope was really terrible. The others were at least ok.

queeq
The fights were a lot better from a story perspective. They felt like something was at stake. Not the perfectly choreographed emotionless ballets we get get in the PT.

Especially that last bit in ROTJ is great, because Luke is just hammering away urged by rage and frustration. That isn't supposed to be slick and smooth and dead from the neck up.

coolmovies
If you watch making of ROTS they use toy sticks for the anakin v obi wan duel then use CGI . They didnt use real ones

steverules_2
I actually liked the ESB/ROTJ fight and I like the ROTS fight as well smile

queeq
THose were kinda the best.

steverules_2
Originally posted by queeq
THose were kinda the best.

Fix'd dur

queeq
Hehehe... I don't dislike the ANH one, BTW. It's simpler, but still well executed.

King Kandy
Hehehe... I don't dislike the ANH one, BTW. It's simpler, but still well executed.
Me and my friend were watching that and we couldn't stop cracking up. They barely even do much besides stick their swords out and wiggle them at each other for half the fight.

Sith Master X
I think the fights in the OT are still fantastic, except for ANH. ESB was extremely will executed...not the fastest, but the dark atmosphere and vibe of that entire sequence fits the film perfectly.

I do prefer the PT saber battles, due to the pacing. As Queeq mentioned, it does look choreographed, and I agree with him 100 percent, it does, but that never seems to distract me that much. As rehearsed as it may look, Obi-Wan vs. Maul is still a complete blast to watch, as is most of the other fights.

The only duel that I thought was terrible in the prequels was Mace vs. Sidious.

queeq
QGJ+OB1 vs. Mace is the best looking one, but also the one where nothing is at stake and we don't really understand why they are fighting at all... So storywise and emotionally is the most boring fight of all. The biggest failure of the prequels is so visible in these fights: they look smashing but they are emotionally totally dead.

ghostrider1
QGJ+OB1 vs. Mace is the best looking one, but also the one where nothing is at stake and we don't really understand why they are fighting at all... So storywise and emotionally is the most boring fight of all. The biggest failure of the prequels is so visible in these fights: they look smashing but they are emotionally totally dead.

I agree with you on that most of the prequels are emotionally dead. Although the last two battles in ROTS (Obi Wan Vs Anikan and Sidious Vs Yoda) reminds me of the OT duels but are also visually stunning. I dont know why but they seemed to be the OT duels and the PT duels put together to make something totally amazing.

queeq
But it was very very very long. With rather a sadistic ending.

ares834
But it was very very very long. With rather a sadistic ending.
Agreed. Yoda vs Sidious was awesome! Anakin vs Obi-Wan dragged on and was overdone. They should have just fought normally, none of this tarzan nonsense.

roughrider
Originally posted by King Kandy
Me and my friend were watching that and we couldn't stop cracking up. They barely even do much besides stick their swords out and wiggle them at each other for half the fight.

That's why I'm in favour of Lucas shooting some new stunt footage to spice up the Obi Wan/Vader fight, for a future DVD/Blu-ray release (he needs to keep throwing bones to the fans, doesn't he?) Just insert it after the first sequence when Obi Wan starts backing down the hall, and parallel it with the foursome making their way to the Falcon. Obi Wan has his hood up; it would be easy to shoot a stunt person from behind, and wheh they have to, CGI the face of Alec Guiness on the front. They don't have to be as athletic as the PT - just give it more flair.

King Kandy
Originally posted by roughrider
That's why I'm in favour of Lucas shooting some new stunt footage to spice up the Obi Wan/Vader fight, for a future DVD/Blu-ray release (he needs to keep throwing bones to the fans, doesn't he?) Just insert it after the first sequence when Obi Wan starts backing down the hall, and parallel it with the foursome making their way to the Falcon. Obi Wan has his hood up; it would be easy to shoot a stunt person from behind, and wheh they have to, CGI the face of Alec Guiness on the front. They don't have to be as athletic as the PT - just give it more flair.
No way. Lucas needs to stop meddling with the OT, the remastered versions were bad enough.

roughrider
Originally posted by King Kandy
No way. Lucas needs to stop meddling with the OT, the remastered versions were bad enough.

Well, since he's already 'meddled with it' ( a curious phrase to describe a film you created & own), what is more changes going to do at this point anyway?

....Answer - he'll make more money.
Because people will still buy despite all the bashing. wink

queeq
People will buy any crap he releases. Just don't let him touch the OT anymore. He's got to come to grips with the fact taht he made it in the 70s and that it was historical. It doesn't get more historical by tampering with it and non of his latest movies will ever reach that status. Simply because they are not in that league.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.