Match Schedule, Round One: Batdude and Kahn's Holiday Herald Tournament

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheKahn
I can't sleep so I thought I'd go ahead and announce the Match Schedule for round one. The first round will consists of four fights with the judges and environment announced at the start of the fight. Teams will be limited to 10 official posts plus their opening strategy. Fights will start approximately at Noon on Monday, Dec. 28. I anticipate matches to last about a week more or less but we can be a little flexible about that.

Fight 1
Team Kris Blaze & KM VS Team psycho charlotte

Fight 2
Team Leonidas & Galen007 VS Team Omega Vision & JL King

Fight 3
Team JaketheBank & Original Smurph VS Team darthgoober & Blair Wind

Fight 4
Team Philosophia and PR VS Team id369 and King Kandy

TheKahn
Edited at TheKahn's request,

psycho gundam
imo, matches should be simultaneous with a longish break in between.

Kris Blaze
Could we please have some more information regarding the battlefield. I only remember the details and size of the prep-room and such.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Could we please have some more information regarding the battlefield. I only remember the details and size of the prep-room and such.

the judges and environment announced at the start of the fight.

As written in the post above. BTW, guys, thanks in advance for lots of headache. Going against guy who knows Captain Comet as well as I know say Emma Frost or K'... darlings, I'm a bit pissed off at the amouth of strategising I must do (and also keeping to the rules so no opponent-specific traps...or little of them).

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel

As written in the post above. BTW, guys, thanks in advance for lots of headache. Going against guy who knows Captain Comet as well as I know say Emma Frost or K'... darlings, I'm a bit pissed off at the amouth of strategising I must do (and also keeping to the rules so no opponent-specific traps...or little of them).
I see.

I am also looking forward to flipping through lots of various comics. I am no authority on Zatanna or either of these characters we're facing, but love a challenge. Characters aside, my team managed to land the big one in this tourney, King Mungi. My delicious Canadian team-mate will play a vital part in this tourney, with all his Canadian Canadism and such. Both Canada and Norway have socialized health care, there is no way we can lose this tourney cool

Seriously though, it's going to be fun. Our teams kick off the first match.

TheKahn
Please note that all locations devoid of sentient life on a planet/galaxy/universe level and teams are not allowed to exit the solar system (when applicable). Also, no intentional destruction of the battle field is allowed. Both teams start one mile away from one another with whatever actions taken in prep time active (ie shields, armor, etc).

Fight 1
Team Kris Blaze & KM VS Team psycho charlotte
Location: Jupiter's ice moon Europa (assume it has a breathable atmosphere)

Fight 2
Team Leonidas & Galen007 VS Team Omega Vision & JL King

Fight 3
Team JaketheBank & Original Smurph VS Team darthgoober & Blair Wind
Location: Flat planet with an indestructible trampoline-like surface that extends out into an infinite plain and has an Earth-like atmosphere.

Fight 4
Team Philosophia and PR VS Team id369 and King Kandy

Kris Blaze
We're "Team Healthcare" or "Team Winter" until KM disagrees with one of the names.

Also, we're fighting on a moon. It's going to be difficult not to destroy, even if it's not intentional. Is the destruction of the battlefield something we should work against? Will we be punished or rewarded for destroying it/working to save it?

TheKahn

I was trying to make the battlefields as neutral as possible, but just in case anyone can think of a way to use them to their advantage, I went ahead and posted them. Good luck all. thumb up

TheKahn
We're "Team Healthcare" or "Team Winter" until KM disagrees with one of the names.

Also, we're fighting on a moon. It's going to be difficult not to destroy, even if it's not intentional. Is the destruction of the battlefield something we should work against? Will we be punished or rewarded for destroying it/working to save it?

Just don't use destroying the environment as part of your strategy. It not that big of a deal since teams can generally move around the solar system, but I'd rather not have battlefield destruction become a critical point of debate.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by TheKahn
Just don't use destroying the environment as part of your strategy. It not that big of a deal since teams can generally move around the solar system, but I'd rather not have battlefield destruction become a critical point of debate.
No worries.

It's just that the battlefield WILL go down. I mean, we're running with Surfer, Superman and BRB here. Shit will be destroyed cool

TheKahn
Originally posted by psycho gundam
imo, matches should be simultaneous with a longish break in between.

They will be. All fights in the first round will take place at the same time. It might get a bit hectic for judges but I'm trying to give everyone the same amount of time to prepare and hopefully keep the tourney mostly within the winter holidays.

Philosophía
I anticipate matches to last about a week more or less but we can be a little flexible about that.

This round or all of them ? Also, as long as we're within the solar system, does leaving the battlefield (or making somebody do) count as BFR ?

TheKahn

Starscream M
question about judging:

Are judges at any point allowed to ask questions?

TheKahn
Originally posted by Starscream M
question about judging:

Are judges at any point allowed to ask questions?

If you need a quick clarification about something then the teams can respond in a brief non-official post. But try and refrain from asking anything that will require an prolonged in-depth answer.

Otherwise, I'd prefer we stay out of the debaters way and let them fight it out undisturbed.

Starscream M

Otherwise, I'd prefer we stay out of the debaters way and let them fight it out undisturbed. box ok, cool with me. just wanted to clarify.

leonidas
so . . . are all 4 matches happening at the same time?? confused

TheKahn
Originally posted by leonidas
so . . . are all 4 matches happening at the same time?? confused

Yes. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Everyone starts fighting tomorrow.

I thought about spacing them out more, but I didn't want to give some teams more time to plan than those who went first. This was the only way I felt things would be even.

BTW, there is no hard deadline to end the debate. So there is no rush to start posting immediately. A day delay here or there isn't a big deal if you need more time to plan your strategy.

Starscream M
so . . . are all 4 matches happening at the same time?? confused seems like it...

leonidas
Yes. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Everyone starts fighting tomorrow.

I thought about spacing them out more, but I didn't want to give some teams more time to plan than those who went first. This was the only way I felt things would be even.

BTW, there is no hard deadline to end the debate. So there is no rush to start posting immediately. A day delay here or there isn't a big deal if you need more time to plan your strategy.

ah. okay. can't believe you have enough judges to judge 4 matches simultaneously. that will be . . . . a LOT of reading and more than one tourney has been ruined because judges took weeks (in one case it was literally weeks) to get a judgement in. hopefully it will work out.

TheKahn
ah. okay. can't believe you have enough judges to judge 4 matches simultaneously. that will be . . . . a LOT of reading and more than one tourney has been ruined because judges took weeks (in one case it was literally weeks) to get a judgement in. hopefully it will work out.

It won't be easy, but I think we have some solid judges this time around and they'll have a week or more to peruse the threads. And don't worry, it will NOT take weeks to get decisions in this tourney no matter what we have to do.

Starscream M
more than one tourney has been ruined because judges took weeks (in one case it was literally weeks) to get a judgement in.

it seems like 12 judges would be needed at minimum, assuming no judge is simultaneously doing more than one match.

and why wasn't the delinquent judge replaced? judges should have a deadline to turn in judgments as well.

TheKahn
it seems like 12 judges would be needed at minimum, assuming no judge is simultaneously doing more than one match.

and why wasn't the delinquent judge replaced? judges should have a deadline to turn in judgments as well.

As it stands, we might have to ask judges to follow two fights in the first round. The problem is that all the regulars on KMC who are interested in the tourney are either participating or are already judging. Still, witht he 10 post limit per team, it shouldn't be too bad.

The first round will be a little rough on the judges, but I think we can make it through.

Kris Blaze
Gotta go with Khan on this one. Judging more than one match should honestly be no problem, especially since you don't really have to follow the fights. You can just wait until one battlezone has finished and then read the posts. A fight is not some RSS feed that'll constantly hassle the judges. Looking at the list of judges, there are at least 3-4 of these who are capable of judging more than one fight at a time. If it's not carried out like this, then this tourney will keep going till the next holiday.

Starscream M
Gotta go with Khan on this one. Judging more than one match should honestly be no problem, especially since you don't really have to follow the fights. You can just wait until one battlezone has finished and then read the posts. A fight is not some RSS feed that'll constantly hassle the judges. Looking at the list of judges, there are at least 3-4 of these who are capable of judging more than one fight at a time. If it's not carried out like this, then this tourney will keep going till the next holiday. true.

if each judge takes 2 matches, then you just need 6 judges.

also, I think it's MUCH easier for a judge to follow along (a bit at least) rather than waiting till the whole thing is done to read up on it. It can get overwhelming.

Philosophía
Over-dramatizing.

The judges will be just fine, with 8 posts a team it won't take long to judge a fight, and I don't see why they couldn't do multiple ones.

Kris Blaze
true.

if each judge takes 2 matches, then you just need 6 judges.

also, I think it's MUCH easier for a judge to follow along (a bit at least) rather than waiting till the whole thing is done to read up on it. It can get overwhelming.
No offense to anyone, but if 20 posts overwhelm a judge then said judge should not be in that position in the first place. Considering that they are supposed to determine the quality of someone's debating skill, simple reading should not be a hassle. You don't ask a kid in the first grade to write a book-report.

Original Smurph
heh, B-Dub and I face off, round one...

Starscream M
list of judges so far:

Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Batdude
TheKahn

Kris Blaze
I recommend trying to get a couple more judges though.

Philosophía
list of judges so far:

Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Batdude
TheKahn

http://i45.tinypic.com/10fw57m.gif

Starscream M

Digi
I assume there's a post limit. Because I'm only reading like 5 posts per person. Make your damn case in that window, because anything that takes, say, 20 team posts to get through is too complicated to work anyway. Short and sweet if you want my vote, poozers. Or money.

Or both.

Or hookers. Or just the money. Or both.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Digi
I assume there's a post limit. Because I'm only reading like 5 posts per person. Make your damn case in that window, because anything that takes, say, 20 team posts to get through is too complicated to work anyway. Short and sweet if you want my vote, poozers. Or money.

Or both.

Or hookers. Or just the money. Or both. the post limit is 11 posts per team (10 official posts + the initial post)

Charlotte DeBel

Or both.

Or hookers. Or just the money. Or both.

It's 10 per team, 5 per debater I assume.

Starscream M
It's 10 per team, 5 per debater I assume. its technically 11 per team.

there is no per debater limit, as far as I'm aware of.

Philosophía
TheKahn announced his judge selections awhile ago. no expression

I knew you were a judge before Khan announced it. It's just that, no matter how many times that is said, the gif is still appropriate.

I also want at least one judge to hate me. It makes things more exciting.

TheKahn
list of judges so far:

Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Batdude
TheKahn

We can add Badabing to that list as well.

Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Badabing
Batdude
TheKahn

We could always use more but this should be enough. I'm willing to judge all the matches in the first round so we shouldn't need every judge to participate in two matches to get 3 per fight.

its technically 11 per team.

there is no per debater limit, as far as I'm aware of.

Yeah, its up to the team to decide how to split the total posts among themselves, although I imagine a 5/5 split will be the most common with them collaborating on the initial post.

TheKahn
Adding an additional judges:

Doctor Alvis
Tha C-Master
iceman24567
Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Badabing
Batdude
TheKahn

Digi
Awesome judge list. I'd recommend trying to mix-n-match and rotate to get different combos of judges in different weeks.

psycho gundam

Original Smurph
Blair PM'd me saying that their team was asking for another day due to RL complications. I replied saying (more or less) that that was fine.

This hasn't been confirmed, but I'm currently operating under the assumption that there will be an extension to our deadline, because I won't be around at noon tomorrow to personally verify.

Thanks.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Blair PM'd me saying that their team was asking for another day due to RL complications. I replied saying (more or less) that that was fine.

This hasn't been confirmed, but I'm currently operating under the assumption that there will be an extension to our deadline, because I won't be around at noon tomorrow to personally verify.

Thanks.
I'm just confirming this from our end too. 48 hours (so Wed at 12:00 Est )sound good to you Smurph?

(And thanks BTW)

Bentley
Hmph, first I was worried of not being able to judge because of work and now I'm worried because of vacations. When are we hoping to hold the first debates?

TheKahn
Originally posted by Bentley
Hmph, first I was worried of not being able to judge because of work and now I'm worried because of vacations. When are we hoping to hold the first debates?

I'm hoping to get them started early this week if possible. I'm not exactly sure how long it will take each team to reach their 10 post limit, but I can't imagine it'll be more than a week or so. Thankfully, it looks like we have plenty of judges, so if anyone needs to step down for any reason it shouldn't be too hard to find a fill-in. Plus, there is always the next round and the finals.

Charlotte DeBel
Send corrected version of part 1 of the post to you (turned out I missed some vital things when turning discussion into the strat).

xJLxKing
So when are these matches starting?

Original Smurph
Originally posted by darthgoober
I'm just confirming this from our end too. 48 hours (so Wed at 12:00 Est )sound good to you Smurph?

(And thanks BTW) Yeah, sounds fine.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Who judging?

Philosophía
Not you.

Starscream M
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Who judging? a very esteemed list, if I do say so myself

List of judges:

Mindset
rotiart
Doctor Alvis
Tha C-Master
iceman24567
Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Badabing
Batdude
TheKahn

batdude123
Just out of curiosity, are there any teams that would be ready to start today?

KuRuPT Thanosi
damn I wanted to be a judge.... smile

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by batdude123
Just out of curiosity, are there any teams that would be ready to start today?

Me and Gundam sent our strat...

batdude123
Me and Gundam sent our strat...

PM your strategy to me.

Charlotte DeBel
PM your strategy to me.

PMd both text& scans parts

KuRuPT Thanosi
can I get a link to this Trans level tourney that was really good?

Digi
Question: we're not ALL judging every match, right? It'll be 5 or so per match like usual, I assume.

{edit} nvrmind, it's 3. I'd recommend 5 though.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Question: we're not ALL judging every match, right? It'll be 5 or so per match like usual, I assume.

Hey Digi do you have a link(s) to the trans tourney that was really good?

Starscream M
I'd recommend 5 though. I'd second that.

kevdude
a very esteemed list, if I do say so myself

List of judges:

Mindset
rotiart
Doctor Alvis
Tha C-Master
iceman24567
Illadelph
Digi
Starscream
Bentley
Badabing
Batdude
TheKahn

Pretty good list, good luck guys. cool

batdude123

Thanks for volunteering. smile

Omega Vision
So will match 2 start as soon as match 1 is over?

leonidas
our match will start as soon as both our teams pm our openings to bats. i could have been ready to go but everyone else was taking their time so galan and i are just going over a couple final things. we should be able to send our opening in tonight at some point.

Charlotte DeBel
Did I f*ck up by posting both prep and opening combat moves for our team (though I marked them separately so judges can just ignore the stuff marked "battle" if it's illegal)?

leonidas
no, i don't think so . . . i usually do the same. prep strat and opening battle strat. i hope that is all right since that's what i did this time as well . . .

-K-M-
I could be wrong, but as far as I know thats just supposed to be a prep post not the attack.

Blair Wind
It has always been the case that you post your initial prep with opening battle strategy. Its what you base the rest of the battle on (deciding which version is more likely to happen). No one's fault really, KM has never done another tourney.

Unless of course Batdude/Kahn decide to change it for this time.

Charlotte DeBel
Also our opponents seemed to mess up by thinking they have the access to the full battlefield in prep (in realty it's 15*15 room with fridge, drinks, TV and stuff that can't be changed in size).

-K-M-
Its no big deal, just was really confused, and I have seen many other tournies though. Not matter it can stay

Bentley
Ok, I see I'm in this round, good since I can follow it today smile

psycho gundam
Also our opponents seemed to mess up by thinking they have the access to the full battlefield in prep (in realty it's 15*15 room with fridge, drinks, TV and stuff that can't be changed in size). in the lounge.....

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/999/billyfb.jpg

Digi
Thanks for volunteering. smile

Heh. No problem. I do think 5 is preferable though. Easier to get a decision if 1 is MIA, and it feels more like a consensus of judges.

Charlotte DeBel
in the lounge.....

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/999/billyfb.jpg

Lolz.

Seriously speaking, there's a proposal to restart the match due to the "post factum" initial battle post which is the thing I can't put up with as it equates the cheating.
Our strategy also needs some polishing... And Scuttlebutt and spirits violate no summons rule (that rule also puts Shaman at tactical disadvantage).

psycho gundam
phucking skuttlebutt dude.....

Charlotte DeBel
phucking skuttlebutt dude.....

Lolz again... but since you've PMd the judges, now it's your post to debate for Kyle.

Kris Blaze
Try to keep this in PM or in the match thread.

Seriously children, Skuttlebutt is linked with Bill's body. It's more a part of him than Stormbreaker is. Seeing as I the tourney hosts had not given me a straight answer on whether or not he was allowed, I'd leave the wine with the cheeese and carry on posting.

leonidas
just letting our opponents know that i just sent in our opening post and initial battle strategy. have you guys (omega and JL) sent in your post yet?

-K-M-
spirits violate no summons rule (that rule also puts Shaman at tactical disadvantage).

No spirits are not summons and were approved by Khan and batdude.

psycho gundam
Try to keep this in PM or in the match thread.

Seriously children, Skuttlebutt is linked with Bill's body. It's more a part of him than Stormbreaker is. Seeing as I the tourney hosts had not given me a straight answer on whether or not he was allowed, I'd leave the wine with the cheeese and carry on posting. the lounge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.