Are you going Blu-ray?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jschneier
So I was just reading this article that was saying that people have started buying Blu-ray players at much higher rates this Christmas season because the prices have dropped so dramatically. But part of me wonders whether or not Blu-ray is not going to be displaced with online streaming. So here is my question, if you don't have a Blu-ray player are you planning on buying one?

That ACDC Chick
i think that until Blu-Ray can completely eclipse DVDs, only certain movies should be made in the Blu-Ray format
movies like action, animation
not dramas or comedies

but i hope we can get one eventually, once they get to be pretty cheep

Kotarija
well i have a Ps3 and hdtv already soo..im pretty much set for any blu-ray films, just gotta buy blu-ray movies now! Avatar comes to mind..

Kelly_Bean
No.
I don't give a shit to follow suit.
DVDs are fine with me.

Peach
I don't have an HDTV nor a blu-ray player, so...yeah. Not for a long time.

One Free Man
My entertainment system is 3.74 inches wide. what do you think?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
No.
DVDs are fine with me.

BruceSkywalker
i have no idea what blu ray is?? laughing out loud

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
No.
DVDs are fine with me.

I have a blu-ray player and I buy certain things on blu-ray. When prices come down I'll make a full switch.

WickedDynamite
I have a HDTV and HD cable box and haven't converted to Blu-ray. Very likely I won't convert for a few more years. I'm happy with cheap dvd movies.

BackFire
Got a PS3 for christmas, so already did.

Kelly_Bean

T.M
Got a PS3 came with 2 BD movies had 1 more for Christmas.

Slowly making my way there but not rushing.

Impediment
I have a PS3. but no HD screen.

Also, I don't care for the prices of most Blu-Ray movies.

DVD is fine for me.

dadudemon
Yeah. Got it. And I don't own but like 3 or 4 blu-ray movies. I rent most of mine.

I love blu-ray. It's soo...crisp and clear. The first time I watched a 1080p film on blu-ray (The Dark Knight), I got a wee bit misty eyed. cry

Ax3l
I'm there.

Scythe
I have a PS3, so I have a few Blu-Ray movies, only those that I want to see in Blu-Ray format though.

TRiNiTYfemi
got a PS3 n HD TV... we have a few bluerays but I agree with the sentiment about the cost... we're fine with either for now but bluerays are awesome for quality. When we get the chance, we buy blueray

Insomniatric
I got a PS3, that has blu-ray, but I don't have an HDTV, so I can't get the full High Definition experience. cry

Scythe
Weird, all seven of my Blu-Ray films actually cost me less than the dvd version of them. So, I think they're going down in price. Not to mention those dvd/blu-ray combo packs some movies have, they're great.

§P0oONY

Nivvy
I like money much more than watching movies with Blu-ray

AsbestosFlaygon
I already have one.. my PS3.

Scythe

BruceSkywalker
tbh, i will not be buying a blu ray player, let alone blu ray moves...

I do own a 60 inch HDTV and a high powered home theater system , which i then bought some hd cables and hooked everything up

I do own a PS3, but just play games on it..

Besides Blu Ray may not be the rage or the answer since new tech is being developed

§P0oONY
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
tbh, i will not be buying a blu ray player, let alone blu ray moves...

I do own a 60 inch HDTV and a high powered home theater system , which i then bought some hd cables and hooked everything up

I do own a PS3, but just play games on it..

Besides Blu Ray may not be the rage or the answer since new tech is being developed You already own a blu-ray player. no expression

Mr. Rhythmic
Screw Blu-Ray.

Tired-Hiker
I'll wait for a better deal. I'm happy with my dvd's on expand mode on my 42 inch hdtv. The quality is still very good since I have a decent dvd player.

Ax3l
It's actually a lot better than regular DVD's.

BruceSkywalker

Bardock42
I got a PS3, but I don't own any Blu Rays, too expensive them.

I do love Games in HD though, which is why I will probably get an awesome XBox 360 Pro instead of the sucky XBox 360 Core my stupid girlfriend got from her parents.

Also if I have some money I'll get a nicer HD Screen.

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by Ax3l
It's actually a lot better than regular DVD's.

Yeah, I know, but it's not like going from VHS to DVD which was far more superior in quality. I can enjoy DVDs on a DVD player for a while without feeling like I'm really missing out too much.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
Yeah, I know, but it's not like going from VHS to DVD which was far more superior in quality. I can enjoy DVDs on a DVD player for a while without feeling like I'm really missing out too much.
I did think that before, too, but just recently I had some sort of side to side comparison and man, HD is pretty ****ing awesome.

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by Bardock42
I did think that before, too, but just recently I had some sort of side to side comparison and man, HD is pretty ****ing awesome.

I have seen them side by side. I know what a blu-ray player can do. I just don't feel the need to go spend my hard earned money on a blu-ray player right now when money is tight.

Bardock42
I have seen them side by side. I know what a blu-ray player can do. I just don't feel the need to go spend my hard earned money on a blu-ray player right now when money is tight.

Yeah, I understand that, I'd love to get an HD XBox, but I'll need to save money, so I am not sure if it is a possibility short term.

dadudemon

You should be applauded for your frugality. A disturbingly large portion of Americans would just charge it to their credit card. no expression

Tired-Hiker
Trust me, as soon as my wife starts working again, I'm going to charge a blu-ray player and a friggin' hot tub! big grin

dadudemon
Trust me, as soon as my wife starts working again, I'm going to charge a blu-ray player and a friggin' hot tub! big grin

That sounds like a plan.

Can I come over when that happens? awesome

I'll lick your toes instead of letting Walker Texas Ranger do it? I am better, I swear!

chomperx9
screw blu rays HD dvds were better since they are all region free

Gooogle Bot
I have HD-DVDs! arrrgh

Bardock42
Originally posted by Gooogle Bot
I have HD-DVDs! arrrgh Way to bet on the wrong horse.

AbnormalButSane
I have neither the money nor interest to invest in a Blue-Ray player.

coolmovies
I wll go Blu when they are cheap . I am happy with dvd at the moment but blu ray is amazing

chomperx9
Originally posted by coolmovies
I wll go Blu when they are cheap . I am happy with dvd at the moment but blu ray is amazing they are cheap if you buy them the 1st week they release they are the same price as DVDs

§P0oONY

jschneier
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i have no idea what blu ray is?? laughing out loud

Really? It is the media that is supposed to replace DVDs. It allows for better sound and video quality.

Bardock42
I think streaming is the media that will replace DVDs.

§P0oONY
I think streaming is the media that will replace DVDs. Seconded.

AsbestosFlaygon
I think streaming is the media that will replace DVDs.
That's if the ISPs globally increase the internet speed for their subscribers and/or lower the price of their larger data bandwidth plans.

A lot of 3rd world countries and developing countries still have extremely slow broadband coverage.

Bardock42
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
That's if the ISPs globally increase the internet speed for their subscribers and/or lower the price of their larger data bandwidth plans.

A lot of 3rd world countries and developing countries still have extremely slow broadband coverage.

They probably don't have the HD TVs necessary to enjoy Blu Ray either then though.

And connection speeds should vastly improve. There is mobile broadband being tested in Sweden right now faster than most local broadband available.

AsbestosFlaygon
They probably don't have the HD TVs necessary to enjoy Blu Ray either then though.

And connection speeds should vastly improve. There is mobile broadband being tested in Sweden right now faster than most local broadband available.
Not exactly..

I've been to most 'developing countries', and you'll be surprised that many middle earners own HDTVs, iPhones and other upscale gadgets.

I do agree though that connection will continue to improve.. but it will take quite some time.

jschneier
Originally posted by BackFire
Got a PS3 for christmas, so already did.

So someone just told me if you get a PS3 and play movies on it then there is this loud humming noise. Any truth in that?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by jschneier
So someone just told me if you get a PS3 and play movies on it then there is this loud humming noise. Any truth in that? Mine doesn't.

Selphie
dependsssss on the deal.

in college, no job, no real nice new hd tv, no blu ray player/ps3

Not going to bother getting anything, I'm fine with the quality of dvds and of my tv atm

WhiskeyGirl
Originally posted by jschneier
So I was just reading this article that was saying that people have started buying Blu-ray players at much higher rates this Christmas season because the prices have dropped so dramatically. But part of me wonders whether or not Blu-ray is not going to be displaced with online streaming. So here is my question, if you don't have a Blu-ray player are you planning on buying one?

Nope, my parents have one and when I went over to visit and watched a movie on it, I didn't see the difference. I like DVDs and I'll stay with them until the stop making them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.