Gran Torino: racist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

One Free Man
Asian communities everywhere are accusing the directors, writers, and actors involved in the making of gran torino racist. Is there truth behind this?

Robtard
Originally posted by One Free Man
Asian communities everywhere are accusing the directors, writers, and actors involved in the making of gran torino racist. Is there truth behind this?

1) Everything's racist, you just have to skew it to fit what you want; then start crying. This is something everyone except Caucasians are very adept at.

2) Link to this story?

inimalist
how did it take this long for this to come up? Gran Torino is like a school for names to call people who aren't white.

All that aside, it is just a mixture of senationalism in the media mixed with the fact that anyone is offended by anything.

Eastwood's character certainly has racist qualities, but anyone who has seen the film understands them as part of the character.

Actually, since eastwood is the car, and the whole film is a fancy way of saying "They don't make them like they used to", it sort of works, given the generation Eastwood's character comes from.

Its like that bull about "To kill a mockingbird" being "inappropriate" for school because of racist content.

BruceSkywalker

umm, link please..

also where exactly where these people prior to the film coming out???

jinXed by JaNx

Yes, Clint Eastwood hates Slant eyes. He was one of the people behind the development of the Atomic bomb. That's how much he hates yellows. It's a secret though, don't tell anyone.

BackFire
The main character in the film is racist, but it was intentional. He ends up changing and finding the humanity in those he previously disliked.

Not as if the film's theme is a celebration of racism, simply recognizing it as existing and showing it to be a foolish way of thinking.

Seems people once again missed the point.

WickedDynamite
It's just American History X except the main character is an old man.

BackFire
And no curb stomping, unfortunately.

Shey Tapani
Its not racist at all.

The Nuul
Not this shit again....

Those Asian's have no idea what this movie is about.

Thats how some of the old vets are when they come out of the war. I know at first hand, I heard stories about my Grandpa.

But nearly everything the North Americans do its rascist. The other Cultures love to swing that word around and to play that card as much as they can even when they failed to see the point.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard
1) Everything's racist, you just have to skew it to fit what you want; then start crying. This is something everyone except Caucasians are very adept at.

2) Link to this story?

Hah. True that.

Symmetric Chaos

Given that Gran Torino is so blatantly anti-racist I'd like to see evidence of these complaints.

Liberator
Uh, that entire film was ABOUT racism... a huge message it was putting out was dealing with the problem of racism.

headless robot
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Given that Gran Torino is so blatantly anti-racist I'd like to see evidence of these complaints.

hit the nail on the head.

the main character was racist but that was the whole point of the story... character growth and learning to love your dog eating neighbors.

inimalist
Originally posted by The Nuul
I know at first hand, I heard stories about my Grandpa.

that is actually still second hand

chomperx9
i say if you feal offended by a movie then dont watch it.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by chomperx9
i say if you feal offended by a movie then dont watch it.

That's true. However, if the film was genuinely racist and promoting racist behaviour, then complaints would be perfectly justified. As it is, it's quite the reverse and you'd have to be a pretty huge douchebag to be offended by it.

Mr. Rhythmic

Um...Yeeeaaah? That was kinda the point of the film. It was universally racist, making it equal.

chomperx9
the actors really shouldnt be blamed for it for anyone that feels offended by the movie. actors dont get to decide what they want to say and do.

its the writers and directors that would be racist. the actors are just doing their job

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.