Sentry vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

id369
And the winner is....

iceman24567
Thor via being a better character

Starscream M
this board hates sentry and loves thor....who you think is gonna win?

in all honesty, it should be a damn close match. Sentry has speed while thor has versatility.

The Nuul
Originally posted by iceman24567
Thor via being a better character

And Sentry needs more top end feats.

The Nuul
Thor BFR or KOs Sentry because he didnt come back for the rest of the issue. Also when Thor landed Sentry was charged/ready and was going to punch Thor until Thor beat him to the punch.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j29/endrict2000/Siege_1.jpg

Knowsbleed33
Hahahahaha Thor wins.

The Nuul
Sentry fanboys will just say he wasnt trying as their usual excuse.

Soooo how come the ever so power Sentry didnt mess up Thor's molecules?

Hes such a inconsistent character like I figured.

id369
Just once I would like to see 50 plus page of bone crushing gore fest ala Invincible #64.

Instead we are treated with Thor hammer timing Sentry, only for Norman and his scrubs to shoot him down.

Originally posted by The Nuul

Hes such a inconsistent character like I figured.
The same can be said about Thor and his energy absorbing abilities.

quanchi112

Hes such a inconsistent character like I figured. Jumping the gun like usual. This is sooo like you to do so when it's quite clear no one has ever won decisively yet.

Sentry already has the feats to prove he is on Thor's level you just choose to ignore them out of a personal hatred you seem to have against this character.

Kahn put you in your place, you said nothing, and like usual continued the same stuff in another thread. Originally posted by Starscream M
this board hates sentry and loves thor....who you think is gonna win?

in all honesty, it should be a damn close match. Sentry has speed while thor has versatility. Most comic fights don't see a lot of speed. How often has the Sentry used his speed to dominate an opponent?

The Nuul
Originally posted by id369
Just once I would like to see 50 plus page of bone crushing gore fest ala Invincible #64.

Instead we are treated with Thor hammer timing Sentry, only for Norman and his scrubs to shoot him down.

The same can be said about Thor and his absorbing abilities.

Thor as a character is written to brawl first and then his energy powers after if needed.

id369
Thor as a character is written to brawl first.

Look at Sentry and his match with WWH.

Seriously both are victims of bad writing, Sentry is nearly exclusively used as a plot device.

quanchi112
Thor as a character is written to brawl first and then his energy powers after if needed. laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud WW Hulk burned out fighting him and he stomped and brawled his way through everybody except the Sentry.

ExodusCloak
Diamondback, Silk Fever and Quicksand are so lulz.

The Nuul
Thor has more consistent writing than Sentry. Nearly everyone in comics has thier bad days but not as many as Sentry. Well be sides Rhino, cant top that!

TheKahn
Look at Sentry and his match with WWH.

Seriously both are victims of bad writing, Sentry is nearly exclusively used as a plot device.

thumb up

Bad writing =/= a bad character

In the right hands, everyone from Catman to Firelord can kick ass.
In the wrong hands, everyone from Superman to Thor can suck.

quanchi112
Thor has more consistent writing than Sentry. Nearly everyone in comics has thier bad days but not as many as Sentry. Well be sides Rhino, cant top that! Why is it you ignore the context behind his lower showings while you completely dismiss his higher ones?

-Pr-
Guys, keep the personal stuff out of it, or warnings will be handed out.

The Nuul
Thor average showings > Sentrys average showings.

quanchi112
Thor average showings > Sentrys average showings. But the point is Sentry not going out is a completely different animal than when he cuts loose. Thor's had over 30 years of showings while the Sentry varies drastically all over the map from writer to writer but they still maintain his plot device status. We don't know exactly the full extent of his powers yet and his lower showings can be explained away due to his own fear of losing control.

On kmc I always say we can use losses to argue with but we do take their higher showings into account as well.

Kris Blaze
The same can be said about Thor and his energy absorbing abilities.
Yeah, there's a whole 1 or 2 of Sentry's incidents and the 50 or so of Thor's absorbing.

id369
Thor average showings > Sentrys average showings.
Lets forget that Thor has been handled by ionic authors, and over 50 years of shelf life.

True but it sounds like you are simply looking into how a character is written off, as opposed to what the plot calls for.

Kris Blaze
I'd give Jenkins Sentry a 3-4/10.

The Nuul
This is a forum fight and not a comics.

As for comics....there is a set level for each character then the plot will make them go below or above it.

id369
This is a forum fight and not a comics.

As for comics....there is a set level for each character then the plot will make them go below or above it.

Precisely this is not Marvel Comics, its KMC versus forum.

And how would this match fair? Is it as one sided as you think it is, because you have to take the good with the bad.

shokosugi
ROFL, Sentry = what a loser

Thor BFR or KOs Sentry because he didnt come back for the rest of the issue. Also when Thor landed Sentry was charged/ready and was going to punch Thor until Thor beat him to the punch.

xJLxKing
I thought Sentry was all powerful now??? laughing out loud

TheKahn
Originally posted by shokosugi
ROFL, Sentry = what a loser

Originally posted by xJLxKing
I thought Sentry was all powerful now??? laughing out loud

How would either of you respond to people posting scans of Superman taking a high-tier hit and everyone using that to dismiss him in totality?

xJLxKing
Originally posted by TheKahn
How would either of you respond to people posting scans of Superman taking a high-tier hit and everyone using that to dismiss him in totality?
For a guy that can "totally" control other people's molecules, and regenerate from anything, he should be able to stop high tiers

TheKahn
For a guy that can "totally" control other people's molecules, and regenerate from anything, he should be able to stop high tiers

He should. But sadly different writers have a tendency of depicting characters powers inconsistently. Superman, Thor, Silver Surfer, and many others have had the same thing happen to them when they lose or stalemate a fight their top end feats should have them winning in moments.

Again, I don't understand why some feel the need to ridicule a character for no apparent reason.

The Nuul
Supes, SS, Thor and others are written with consistent feats that puts them at HH level Sentrys level is more like MH.

id369
My my I am surrounded by such smart, and insightful members.

Can someone enlighten me as to why character contradiction seems to be a reoccurring theme?

The Nuul
Precisely this is not Marvel Comics, its KMC versus forum.

And how would this match fair? Is it as one sided as you think it is, because you have to take the good with the bad.

Sentry has one good feat other his others are MH range. Thor is written at HH level and at times above that.

On the this forum we the average showings.

TheKahn
Supes, SS, Thor and others are written with consistent feats that puts them at HH level Sentrys level is more like MH.

They've also had decades as A-list characters to accrue high end feats with their lower showings mostly fading with time. erm

shokosugi
Supes is written at a consistent level most of the time and Sentry is not.

Exactly,

Supes getting owned is usually CIS/PIS.

Sentry regularly getting owned is part of his character = weak and stupid.

id369
Wonderful double standards. You make CBR, and Hechochat proud.

TheKahn
Exactly,

Supes getting owned is usually CIS/PIS.

Sentry regularly getting owned is part of his character = weak and stupid.

facepalm I'm at a loss of words at such stunning hypocrisy and intentional bias.

iceman24567
Oh you guys just realized the deal with our resident Superman fanboy? We just laugh at him and move on smile

The Nuul
Like I have always have said before until Sentry is written at a consistent high level he will lose to characters that are HHs and above.

The Nuul
Originally posted by iceman24567
Oh you guys just realized the deal with our resident Superman fanboy? We just laugh at him and move on smile

thumb up

shokosugi
facepalm I'm at a loss of words at such stunning hypocrisy and intentional bias.

Sentry is REGULARLY portrayed as a weak and pathetic character. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS????? mad mad mad

Knowsbleed33
Why are people going back to that lame "Thor has been around longer than Sentry" argument?

You want people to give an educated response to a thread you make, they can only work with what's given.

xJLxKing
People have to stop with this ridiculous logic. Who cares if one writer made Sentry stronger then his normal levels for one time. Unless the power continues to be the same level, it shouldn't matter too much. It's should be considered another level, an amp, or just another version.
If suddenly Superman does one good fear(destroying a galaxy), but then goes back to being his regular level, does this mean we should use the high high high feat? No, it's dumb. There has to be consistency between issues, authors, and anything else. Almost all authors for Superman, Thor, and SS, and GL keep them at nearly identical levels. If one writers makes Sentry strong, and many others don't, who should we believe, one, or the many?

TheKahn
Sentry is REGULARLY portrayed as a weak and pathetic character. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS????? mad mad mad

What is weak and pathetic about him? Him easily owning a Herald of Galactus? His stalemating WWH who owned just about every major hero/team on Marvel earth? Overloading Absorbing Man with raw power? Resurrecting himself and his dead wife?

Please give some logical reasons for your claim other than your own biased personal opinion.

The Nuul
Until Sentry is written at a consistent high level he will lose to characters that are HH and above.

The Nuul
People have to stop with this ridiculous logic. Who cares if one writer made Sentry stronger then his normal levels for one time. Unless the power continues to be the same level, it shouldn't matter too much. It's should be considered another level, an amp, or just another version.
If suddenly Superman does one good fear(destroying a galaxy), but then goes back to being his regular level, does this mean we should use the high high high feat? No, it's dumb. There has to be consistency between issues, authors, and anything else. Almost all authors for Superman, Thor, and SS, and GL keep them at nearly identical levels. If one writers makes Sentry strong, and many others don't, who should we believe, one, or the many?

thumb up

Power Cosmic II
in comics, PMM Sentry (post molecule man) sentry for the win. However in a forum fight, and in the comics if sentry is exposed to be just another nut or the molecule man feat is retconned, Thor 7.5/10.

BattleMage
THOR > SENTRY / SUPEMAN

bbrem123
so wait...getting hit by thor once means he sucks?

id369
What do you call Thor getting blasted by Holocaust?

id369

Beating MM is a feat, the act of controlling his molecules is an explanation. It servers to explain why he does what he did. You can ignore the feat, but not the explanation. It serves to give back ground info on Sentry.

Its like saying oh lets ignore Thors ability to absorb energy through MJOLNIR, because Thor has not replicated that feat involving the Null Bomb.

JakeTheBank
In all reality, that was probably Reynolds Sentry who charged Thor and was dismissed a moment later. Void!Sentry could probably give Thor a decent match and even garner wins if his matter manipulation powers are what they seem to be on paper.

Knowsbleed33
Overloading Absorbing Man with raw power?

Does he actually overload him? It's never said he did and it looked more to me like he did the same thing he did to Owen Reece.

xJLxKing
Beating MM is a feat, the act of controlling his molecules is an explanation. It servers to explain why he does what he did. You can ignore the feat, but not the explanation. It serves to give back ground info on Sentry.

Its like saying oh lets ignore Thors ability to absorb energy through MJOLNIR, because Thor has not replicated that feat involving the Null Bomb.
Completely different situation. Like I said, Sentry was portrayed as having near, complete control over his molecules. Unless every other issue portrays Sentry the same way, then you can't claim it. He has no have consistency. You don't drop from defeating someone as high as MM and then getting beat by someone weaker

The Nuul
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/ankur2292/th_DarkAvengers12017.jpg

This is Bob and not Void.

TheKahn
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/ankur2292/th_DarkAvengers12017.jpg

This is Bob and not Void.

It looked like Void-lite Sentry to me. His eyes look solid black in the bottom right panel.

The Nuul
Osborn called him Robert after he said he learnt someting today then replied back.

id369
Completely different situation. Like I said, Sentry was portrayed as having near, complete control over his molecules. Unless every other issue portrays Sentry the same way, then you can't claim it. He has no have consistency. You don't drop from defeating someone as high as MM and then getting beat by someone weaker

Lets ignore for the moment that Sentry matter manipulation is a recent revelation.

Sentry needs to apply matter manipulating feats every other issue. Because surely Thor applies his EVERY-OTHER-ISSUE.srsly

tkitna
laughing

I knew the Sentry haters were going to jump all over this. Lets just wait and see what happens in the next few issues when they really fight.

xJLxKing
OH! Now you are the one claiming the "lets wait"

The Nuul

Yeah.....laughing

Originally posted by tkitna
laughing

I knew the Sentry haters were going to jump all over this. Lets just wait and see what happens in the next few issues when they really fight.

Some of use are not haters, we just want to see some consistent feats on a impressive level, we dont buy into the hype or stipulation like you fanboys do.

id369

Wait for what? Another instance, where the same explanation can be spoon fed to you?

xJLxKing
Wait for what? Another instance, where the same explanation can be spoon fed to you?
I really am not in the mood to attack you for not understand what I was saying

The Nuul

They dont want to understand...

id369
Hey guess what I am in the mood. And your not saying much at all.

tkitna

We dont have to wait if you dont want to. Its par for the course if you consider Sentry being smacked away as a loss. I wouldnt figure any less from you.

xJLxKing
Hey guess what I am in the mood. And you not saying much at all. You know what? I'll play along.

When Sentry first made that Feat with MM, me and quite a few other people were claiming that we need to wait for a few issues and see what happens. What did a few Sentry Fans say? No! There is no need to, this is his level for sure!!! Now the table have turned and he is the one claiming we need to wait for consistency and see what happens. Some would say it's ironic

TheKahn
Completely different situation. Like I said, Sentry was portrayed as having near, complete control over his molecules. Unless every other issue portrays Sentry the same way, then you can't claim it.

That is complete and utter bullshit. Practically every character who appears in more than one book has his/her power and abilities depicted differently by different writers. To claim otherwise is a statement of such massive ignorance it boggles the mind.

Superman, as only one example, has shown speed and reflexes on par with the Flash and sufficient enough to make himself practically intangible in some appearances, and yet Solomon Grundy and other bricks are still able to punch him.

He has no have consistency. You don't drop from defeating someone as high as MM and then getting beat by someone weaker

Says who? You? Don't make me laugh. Everyone who has read comics at any point over the last 80 years can point out numerous instances where characters' powers/abilities have been portrayed inconsistently from one appearance to the next and where certain characters have jobbed to a more popular one or for the sake of a plot-line.

It happens all the time to countless characters. Why you are so determined to hold this only against the Sentry is beyond me.

The Nuul
You know what? I'll play along.

When Sentry first made that Feat with MM, me and quite a few other people were claiming that we need to wait for a few issues and see what happens. What did a few Sentry Fans say? No! There is no need to, this is his level for sure!!! Now the table have turned and he is the one claiming we need to wait for consistency and see what happens. Some would say it's ironic

thumb up

TheKahn

Some of use are not haters, we just want to see some consistent feats on a impressive level, we dont buy into the hype or stipulation like you fanboys do.

Simply because some people think you holding the Sentry up to hypocritical standards you don't apply to your favored characters, doesn't make them fanboys.

tkitna
All of this because Thor hit Sentry with his hammer.

Wow

id369
You know what? I'll play along.

At the vary least it was Thor that dropped Sentry (if he is out).

And not taken out by Norman and his Footers. The fat Asgardian did better Thor, what does that tell you?

TheKahn
All of this because Thor hit Sentry with his hammer.

Wow

Its been brewing longer that this. I think that because some people have invested so much time and energy in arguing against the Sentry in various threads for so long that they are simply unwilling to admit the possibility that they were wrong in light of new revelations.

Its easier instead to claim that the most recent explanation of the nature of his powers is somehow invalid or must be repeated every time he makes an appearance for some undetermined (and unrealistic) amount of time before they'll be willing to consider it valid.

JakeTheBank

And not taken out by Norman and his Footers. The fat Asgardian did better Thor, what does that tell you?

Tells me Bendis is as erratic as Sentry.

laughing

In all seriousness though, people on both sides of the argument are getting worked up over nothing. Sentry got the jump on Thor, who I assumed was staggered by Sentry's blow. Thor then swatted him away. Thor is then jumped on by Stormin' Norman and his goon sqaud. Thor has fallen to the numbers game before. It's not a high showing/low showing for either character, imo.

xJLxKing

Nice try but you missed the point and you moved to a totally different debate

id369

psycho gundam
so everyone sees it fairly:

Originally posted by psycho gundam

http://yfrog.com/0csiege1legioncps022j

http://yfrog.com/jpsiege1legioncps023j

http://yfrog.com/jcsiege1legioncps024j

http://yfrog.com/06siege1legioncps025j

http://yfrog.com/31siege1legioncps026j

xJLxKing

id369
Clearly, you haven't been keeping up with the discussion with DA 12. I don't hate you so I really don't feel like making look quite.....dumb(sort of) Again your saying a whole lot of nothing.

Make clear, and direct points.

TheKahn
Clearly, you haven't been keeping up with the discussion with DA 12. I don't hate you so I really don't feel like making look quite.....dumb(sort of)

Wow. Way not to sound like a pretentious d-bag. thumb up

xJLxKing
Again your not saying a whole lot of nothing.

Make clear, and direct points.
Fine, I'll play along again.

1- People did claim that Sentry WAS LEAGUES away for people like Superman, Thor, SS and other. Why? because of ONE feat, just one. Just check the Superman vs Sentry thread.
2- Superman, Thor, SS and GL have consistent feat to put them on High Herald. That's what makes their weak, or very very high feats okay to accept. Sentry just has high, then low, then high, then low. In consistent and hard to accept which is correct

id369

xJLxKing

rotiart
Well I don't know about being leagues away.
In supe v sent I said in a regular knc fight superman gets a tecnical knockout... However it would be impossible for superman to defeat a sentry who can bring himself back from matter manipulation destruction like by Morgan and by mm

I truly think the argument was originally that superman was the one who was leagues above sentry for years despite what he's done and now the recent comics having verified the type o powers he has has moved sentry up to th possible high heralds.... Whereas some sounded off as though he was a low herald at best.

As to the scans... The strongest hero is Aleta distracted or is always bfred to allow the dark avengers a chance to fight...

rotiart
I'm not currently a sentry fan either.... But I respect the powerset.

And the problem is that in a knc fight we take a charcter at their best... Which for sentry is bringing himself back to life... Fighting the enemies that defeated entire teams...

Overloading absorbing man when he absorbed the power of Thor.. Quasar etc

xJLxKing
Is it just me or is everyone in the mood to argue tonight besides me?

No, it's not BS, DS, or anything other shit. It's what the writers do. Take a long at Superman. Yeah, he isn't written on the EXACT same level as every writer. Sure, he is stronger with some authors like Loeb(I think) who wrote OWAW, and the one writing WONK, but it's not the same to what's happening to Sentry. One minute, he can take on a being considered much stronger then HH easily. Without evening breaking a sweat. This puts him even stronger then what MM is considered especially how easily he wins. Right?? Now, next showing, he is back to getting beat by HH putting back to what I consider his normal level(MH). That doesn't happen to Superman, or Thor much, right? When do you see Superman nearly as powerful as Skyfather, perhaps even higher and then going down back to your normal levels. If that isn't considered an amp, pr a different version, then I don't know what is.

Because Sentry is that kind of character, and it's not going to change easily. He is a plot device

Starscream M
Is it just me or is everyone in the mood to argue tonight besides me?

No, it's not BS, DS, or anything other shit. It's what the writers do. Take a long at Superman. Yeah, he isn't written on the EXACT same level as every writer. Sure, he is stronger with some authors like Loeb(I think) who wrote OWAW, and the one writing WONK, but it's not the same to what's happening to Sentry. One minute, he can take on a being considered much stronger then HH easily. Without evening breaking a sweat. This puts him even stronger then what MM is considered especially how easily he wins. Right?? Now, next showing, he is back to getting beat by HH putting back to what I consider his normal level(MH). That doesn't happen to Superman, or Thor much, right? When do you see Superman nearly as powerful as Skyfather, perhaps even higher and then going down back to your normal levels. If that isn't considered an amp, pr a different version, then I don't know what is.

Because Sentry is that kind of character, and it's not going to change easily. He is a plot device

Actually, Sentry's plight is not unique to Sentry.

The reason he seems inconsistent is because he's a relatively new herald level character and he interacts with both weak meta and high heralds. Just like thor became impotent whenever he fought alongside Avengers and became godlike when he fought more powerful foes alone.

Look at another new character: Rulk. He's also wildly inconsistent, one minute he's pwning thor and watcher, the next moment, he gets herbed by Wolverine.

Sentry is no more a plot device than any other character. the reason for his inconsistency is that he has a short history so writers have more freedom to mold him to their purposes.

Knowsbleed33
laughing

Shouldn't we also wait to see what comes of him discovering his powers before we annoint him the next uber-power in Marvel?

It's not like the only thing he did was beat a weaker version of MM, amirite?

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Starscream M
Actually, Sentry's plight is not unique to Sentry.

The reason he seems inconsistent is because he's a relatively new herald level character and he interacts with both weak meta and high heralds. Just like thor became impotent whenever he fought alongside Avengers and became godlike when he fought more powerful foes alone.

Look at another new character: Rulk. He's also wildly inconsistent, one minute he's pwning thor and watcher, the next moment, he gets herbed by Wolverine.

Sentry is no more a plot device than any other character. the reason for his inconsistency is that he has a short history so writers have more freedom to mold him to their purposes.
Why do you think they make fun of Rulk? Inconsistency, Duh!!
You are also right, every character has inconsistency, and it's okay, but it seems as if you too are missing the point. Is it okay to ignore all of Sentry regular feats just because of one high feats. If he was portrayed as he was in DA12, then okay, but he is not. He seems to be back to the way he was. That's all I am saying.

kgkg
This is what JQ had to say about Sentry after Siege #1.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/875/sentry.jpg http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/sentry.jpg/1/w674.png

Nothing new but they will use the Sentry in Siege.

Knowsbleed33
It'll probably be one spectacular release of energy the likes of which have never been seen, only to have Thor absorb it all into Mjolnir.

xJLxKing
laughing out loud

Hopefully, he goes out with a bang

The Nuul
Rulk is not to be taken serious at all, hes a joke.

xJLxKing
His full of surprises. I stopped reading it after the incident with SS. Too much surprises lol

quanchi112
I thought Sentry was all powerful now??? laughing out loud So getting hit by Thor's hammer changes what exactly?

For a guy that can "totally" control other people's molecules, and regenerate from anything, he should be able to stop high tiers The same thing can be said of Superman's use of t-vo. Does he do it every time he's in a jam? Nope. Has he gotten the snot beaten out of him since he showed us this power? Yep.

You seem to be picking and choosing while dismissing the simple and obvious here. These characters don't just use their most powerful/effective abilities over and over again. They will lose without resorting to them. It's how to create drama in a story.

Take hp for instance. DD was tearing up apokolips and all Ds wanted to do was get him off his planet. Did he bfr him? No. Does that change his natural abilities? Nope.

Try to use your head every once and a while and show us you understand the nature of the game here.
Sentry is REGULARLY portrayed as a weak and pathetic character. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS????? mad mad mad If you ignore the context behind those showings, sure. You are a fanboy of the highest magnitude so it doesn't matter what happens in the comics to you.

Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
Why are people going back to that lame "Thor has been around longer than Sentry" argument?

You want people to give an educated response to a thread you make, they can only work with what's given. So in Thor's first 8-10 years for instance were these his best showings? Was the best yet to come for Thor?

Comparing someone's best showings with a character without a main book to a character with over 40 years of showings in a main book is laughable.Originally posted by The Nuul
Until Sentry is written at a consistent high level he will lose to characters that are HH and above. He went rounds with Photon. Do you know who that is?

id369
Rulk is not to be taken serious at all, hes a joke.

A serious joke. embarrasment

quanchi112
They dont want to understand... I understand perfectly. You seem to ignore the context behind his low showings and completely dismiss his higher ones showing a bias against the character for whatever reason.

Simply because some people think you holding the Sentry up to hypocritical standards you don't apply to your favored characters, doesn't make them fanboys. Exactly. Originally posted by xJLxKing
Fine, I'll play along again.

1- People did claim that Sentry WAS LEAGUES away for people like Superman, Thor, SS and other. Why? because of ONE feat, just one. Just check the Superman vs Sentry thread.
2- Superman, Thor, SS and GL have consistent feat to put them on High Herald. That's what makes their weak, or very very high feats okay to accept. Sentry just has high, then low, then high, then low. In consistent and hard to accept which is correct According to the latest feat it was unbelievable. That's a new ability of the Sentry's.

His low showings are explained away due to his fear of losing control hence the reason why Sentry going all out is a monster compared to Sentry afraid of losing it.

Shouldn't we also wait to see what comes of him discovering his powers before we annoint him the next uber-power in Marvel?

It's not like the only thing he did was beat a weaker version of MM, amirite? Who is annointing him the next uber marvel powerhouse?

All I see are haters scared to death of the character and trying at every turn to hate on him for no apparent reason other than a bias against the character.

Rulk is not to be taken serious at all, hes a joke. Then don't debate for or against the character.

Knowsbleed33
Just read a short preview of Hulk #19. Looks like Ben is going to do a pretty good job on Rulk.

Kris Blaze
It happens all the time to countless characters. Why you are so determined to hold this only against the Sentry is beyond me.
Do you have a single example of a character dropping from killing someone who hovers around Abstract to be taken out by the Human Torch?

Starscream M
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Do you have a single example of a character dropping from killing someone who hovers around Abstract to be taken out by the Human Torch? Rulk took out Watcher and got taken out by Wolverine. no expression

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Starscream M
Rulk took out Watcher and got taken out by Wolverine. no expression
The drop from Trans/low Skyfather to low level is actually insane, but still much lower than Sentry's span from Abstract to high meta ish. And the Rulk comics are widely recognized as being complete and utter shit, yet people are being put out because they're calling Sentry's shit?

This is a far cry from the incidents where Thor and Superman rise to the occasion and beat someone a notch up on the tier list.

TheKahn
Do you have a single example of a character dropping from killing someone who hovers around Abstract to be taken out by the Human Torch?

no expression

Batman, for all intents and purposes, killed Darkseid during Final Crisis and yet has lost in the past to individuals such as the Joker and Bane. While other examples may not have such extreme variance (such as Rulk, Hulk, Spiderman, Reed Richards, Superman, Green Lantern, and others), the issue being discussed was a character's powers and abilities being depicted inconsistently and if that alone was enough to dismiss the character and all of their feats out of hand.

My point was that practically every character is depicted inconsistently from writer to writer and from book to book. The Sentry is no difference. When he is the center of a major storyline they tend to amp up his feats, and when he is a tertiary character in someone elses event - he's used as a measuring stick or foil resulting in a lower showing.

Yes, Marvel has just given Sentry a major upgrade but why the hell is everyone so up in arms about it? Practically everyone gets upgrades at some point in their history either permanently or temporarily. In Marvel along there is Extremis Ironman, Spider Totem Spiderman, Odin Force Thor, WWH, Diamond Emma Frost, Adamantium Sabertooth, reality-warping Scarlet Witch, Trion/8th Day Juggernaut, Silver Surfer and Thanos as various times, and the list goes on and on. Yet rarely do you hear people b!tching as loudly as they are now with the Sentry. I just don't understand why.

Kris Blaze
You don't understand because you can't really perceive the difference in power here. Let me summarise your examples.

Iron Man: High meta to High meta
Spidey: Low meta to mid meta
Thor: High herald to Skyfather
Hulk: mid herald to mid herald
Emma: Another power
Sabretooth: low meta to low meta
Scarlet Witch: Not really applicable
Juggernaut: mid herald to mid herald

These are all examples of characters gaining additional legitimate powers. These powers, with the exception of Juggernaut, are CONFIRMED and mentioned in the comics. This has absolutely not a single thing to do with what happened to the Sentry and you know it. Gaining some sort of powerup is completely different from beating around herald to suddenly shooting up to Abstract-level beings and then dropping back down in the next comic. This power-spike has aboslutely not a thing to do with the examples you listed.

Suddenly becoming capable of beating someone faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar above your established level is in no way the same as gaining an additional powers no expression

Parmaniac
Spider Totem Spiderman

To be fair these upgardes were pretty useless in an arena fight but point taken wink

Battlehammer
is it really can upgrade? Or is it him being display at his real potential? I mean when he burst on the seen he was stated to have the power of thousand suns and then the power of million exploding suns. He then had hyperbole comments like stalemating galactus ect. He broke Terrax axe and defeated him with ease as well.

TheKahn
You don't understand because you can't really perceive the difference in power here. Let me summarise your examples.

Iron Man: High meta to High meta
Spidey: Low meta to mid meta
Thor: High herald to Skyfather
Hulk: mid herald to mid herald
Emma: Another power
Sabretooth: low meta to low meta
Scarlet Witch: Not really applicable
Juggernaut: mid herald to mid herald

These are all examples of characters gaining additional legitimate powers. These powers, with the exception of Juggernaut, are CONFIRMED and mentioned in the comics. This has absolutely not a single thing to do with what happened to the Sentry and you know it. Gaining some sort of powerup is completely different from beating around herald to suddenly shooting up to Abstract-level beings and then dropping back down in the next comic. This power-spike has aboslutely not a thing to do with the examples you listed.

Suddenly becoming capable of beating someone faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar above your established level is in no way the same as gaining an additional powers no expression

Thanks for explaining it to me, but next time could you use smaller words? My little brain gets all confused so easily these days.

Pretentious dickishness aside, the difference in power is no different that Superman suddenly being able to take down someone like Dominus with Torquasm Vo and then losing to far lesser villains, Kyle Rayner being able to contain the big bang with his will and yet have Deathstroke overpower his control of his ring, or any other comparisons of a character's very highest showings to their lowest ones.

Marvel has said the Sentry is insanely powerful since the beginning (stalemating Galactus, owning a herald, etc), now they are just showing how powerful he really is. I hate to break it to you but matter manipulation is a legitimate power and it has be confirmed in comics that the Sentry has that ability. You may not like it or how the character is written in general, but there really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Kris Blaze
Why do you purposely choose to act like you don't understand it? Because it's god damn simple. This power spike is unprecedented, simple as that. Nobody has ever come close to that sudden and 1 ISSUE LONG increase in power.

Battlehammer

Marvel has said the Sentry is insanely powerful since the beginning (stalemating Galactus, owning a herald, etc), now they are just showing how powerful he really is. I hate to break it to you but matter manipulation is a legitimate power and it has be confirmed in comics that the Sentry has that ability. You may not like it or how the character is written in general, but there really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
co-signed.

xJLxKing
Thanks for explaining it to me, but next time could you use smaller words? My little brain gets all confused so easily these days.

Pretentious dickishness aside, the difference in power is no different that Superman suddenly being able to take down someone like Dominus with Torquasm Vo and then losing to far lesser villains, Kyle Rayner being able to contain the big bang with his will and yet have Deathstroke overpower his control of his ring, or any other comparisons of a character's very highest showings to their lowest ones.

Owning a herald, sure, that could be possible. Stalemating Galactus was never shown, only stated by Parker, right? And you still seemed to be miss understanding what I was trying to say.

Why does a character drop from such a high level and back to what people consider his regular level. It's not the same as DS losing to Batman, Batman had a Plot Device. It's not like Hal having a hard time beating a low-meta, why? Because those are not high drops like what just happened to Sentry. He was very powerful in his fight with MM, and now, he dropped back to MH. It's a HUGE drop, much more then HH to meta.

TheKahn
Why do you purposely choose to act like you don't understand it? Because it's god damn simple. This power spike is unprecedented, simple as that. Nobody has ever come close to that sudden and 1 ISSUE LONG increase in power.

Because its not unprecedented. From the beginning they claimed he was able to stalemate Galactus, had him casually owning a herald, and lately had him able to resurrect himself and others instantly. Which of those doesn't scream really frackin' powerful to you?

Kris Blaze
Because its not unprecedented. From the beginning they claimed he was able to stalemate Galactus, had him casually owning a herald, and lately had him able to resurrect himself and others instantly. Which of those doesn't scream really frackin' powerful to you?

God damnit Khan, I'm at the end of my patience here. How powerful do you think Molecule Man is? Someone who only stalemates Galactus can not even dream of defeating him. He could have killed a thousand Galactus' at once, and not be strong enough to take on Molecule Man.

TheKahn
Owning a herald, sure, that could be possible. Stalemating Galactus was never shown, only stated by Parker, right? And you still seemed to be miss understanding what I was trying to say.

Why does a character drop from such a high level and back to what people consider his regular level. It's not the same as DS losing to Batman, Batman had a Plot Device. It's not like Hal having a hard time beating a low-meta, why? Because those are not high drops like what just happened to Sentry. He was very powerful in his fight with MM, and now, he dropped back to MH. It's a HUGE drop, much more then HH to meta.

Its not as if Marvel hasn't explained the cause in the his inconsistent showings: he's crazier than a shithouse rat!

There are at least three separate personalities rolling around his head - Bob Sentry, Void Sentry, and the Void with each demonstrating a different power level.

xJLxKing
Its not as if Marvel hasn't explained the cause in the his inconsistent showings: he's crazier than a shithouse rat!

There are at least three separate personalities rolling around his head - Bob Sentry, Void Sentry, and the Void with each demonstrating a different power level.
I can accept that. I can accept Bob having different power level, but they have to be considered either an amp, an different version, or something close to that

TheKahn
God damnit Khan, I'm at the end of my patience here. How powerful do you think Molecule Man is? Someone who only stalemates Galactus can not even dream of defeating him. He could have killed a thousand Galactus' at once, and not be strong enough to take on Molecule Man.

Clearly, it wasn't classic Molecule Man and the character has either been retconed or de-powered in some way. But that's happened to other similarly powerful characters in Marve (such as the Beyonder).

I don't think Sentry's showing over MM means he's necessarily close to classic MM's power level in any way, in my mind it was just meant to show that he is a high-level matter manipulator. They just dusted off MM and used him as the means to an end because no one was using him at the time. Its not that huge an addition to Sentry's powerset to me.

Kris Blaze
Clearly, it wasn't classic Molecule Man and the character has either been retconed or de-powered in some way. But that's happened to other similarly powerful characters in Marve (such as the Beyonder).

I don't think Sentry's showing over MM means he's necessarily close to classic MM's power level in any way, in my mind it was just meant that he is a high-level matter manipulator. They just dusted off MM and used him as the means to an end because no one was using him at the time. Its not that huge an addition to Sentry's powerset in my mind.
It was current MM, who is still up top in the Marvel hierarchy. Mr.M's onslaught of scans and various interpretations are a PM away. Don't make me do this.

xJLxKing
DO it

TheKahn
It was current MM, who is still up top in the Marvel hierarchy. Mr.M's onslaught of scans and various interpretations are a PM away. Don't make me do this.

So now you're making threats? Real appropriate.

Like I said, either the writers were unaware of classic MM's power level, knew and ignored it, or they plan on retconing or depowering him in the near future, imo. The only reason I think he was even used was to finally show the nature of the Sentry's powers (ie matter manipulation). Any other matter manipulating villain not currently being used anywhere else could have been substituted and not changed the point of the storyline.

Was it the most elegant and logical way to go about giving the Sentry an upgrade? Hell no. But that's all I think they were intending to do. I don't think they honestly meant to start rearranging Marvel's top cosmic hierarchy.

Kris Blaze
So now you're making threats? Real appropriate.

Like I said, either the writers were unaware of classic MM's power level, knew and ignored it, or they plan on retconing or depowering him in the near future, imo. The only reason I think he was even used was to finally show the nature of the Sentry's powers (ie matter manipulation). Any other matter manipulating villain not currently being used anywhere else could have been substituted and not changed the point of the storyline.

Was it the most elegant and logical way to go about giving the Sentry an upgrade? Hell no. But that's all I think they were intending to do. I don't think they honestly meant to start rearranging Marvel's top cosmic hierarchy.

Calm yourself, it was a joke.

Interpretations of the writer's intent do not matter here. You can't provide any single incidents of a character going from Sentry's level, to defeating someone around current MM's level. That's my point, it's never gone this far.

TheKahn
Calm yourself, it was a joke.

Interpretations of the writer's intent do not matter here. You can't provide any single incidents of a character going from Sentry's level, to defeating someone around current MM's level. That's my point, it's never gone this far.

And yet there are a near infinite number of instances where characters have jobbed for the sake of a storyline - which is exactly what MM did here. That's all it was - one relatively obscure and unused character jobbed to make a newer one look better. From Darksied to Thor, it happens all the time.

Could they have picked a character that is less controversial? Of course. But its not as if MM was about to get his own on-going series. Hell Marvel would retcon his entire history in a heart beat if a writer really wanted to in a current book. The companies don't treat history from 10, 20, or 30 years ago with near the reverence as comic fans do.

Kris Blaze
And yet there are a near infinite number of instances where characters have jobbed for the sake of a storyline - which is exactly what MM did here. That's all it was - one relatively obscure and unused character jobbed to make a newer one look better. From Darksied to Thor, it happens all the time.

Could they have picked a character that is less controversial? Of course. But its not as if MM was about to get his own on-going series. Hell Marvel would retcon his entire history in a heart beat if a writer really wanted to in a current book. The companies don't treat history from 10, 20, or 30 years ago with near the reverence as comic fans do.

Jobbing of this level has never happened.

Prove me wrong.

TheKahn
Jobbing of this level has never happened.

Prove me wrong.

I've already pointed out several instances of jobbing that make just as little if not less sense than MM vs Sentry. If you don't want to accept what happened because you don't agree with it, that's a you problem.

Although, Rulk does come to mind. wink

Battlehammer
Marvel own MM now right? so why havent they done anything with him?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Battlehammer

If he's not the Sentry then they'll do it during the Herioc Age event.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
If he's not the Sentry then they'll do it during the Herioc Age event.
What the Herioc age event?

Wait there the chance he the sentry? did sentry pretty much just kill him?

TheKahn

Because he's a C or D-list character who isn't terribly popular or well known. They brushed the cobwebs off of him and used him to give the Sentry a high feat and a new power. Odds are he'll go back into the closet and we won't see him again for a few more years.

Battlehammer
Because he's a C or D-list character who isn't terribly popular or well known. They brushed the cobwebs off of him and used him to give the Sentry a high feat and a new power. Odds are he'll go back into the closet and we won't see him again for a few more years.
so what was the point of spending all that money on him?

TheKahn
so what was the point of spending all that money on him?

What money? confused

ExodusCloak
What the Herioc age event?

Wait there the chance he the sentry? did sentry pretty much just kill him?

Sorry I thought you were talking about Miracle Man.

Battlehammer
Sorry I thought you were talking about Miracle Man.
I am talking about him

Battlehammer
What money? confused
They bought him this year and spent a lot of money to get him if not mistaken.

TheKahn
I am talking about him

Oh, we're referring to Molecule Man as MM in this thread not Miracle Man.

Battlehammer
Oh, we're referring to Molecule Man as MM in this thread not Miracle Man.
oh my bad. oh you guys I refferring to the new dark avengers issue when sentry reforms again and sttaes his power is matter manipulation

TheKahn
oh my bad.

No worries. Easy mistake.

Battlehammer

rest of the issue? that pretty much was the last page lol.

Kris Blaze
I've already pointed out several instances of jobbing that make just as little if not less sense than MM vs Sentry. If you don't want to accept what happened because you don't agree with it, that's a you problem.

Although, Rulk does come to mind. wink
You're the one who seems to think that this is a legitimate powerup no expression

How is anything Rulk did close to this? The guy was actually beaten by Galactus.

TheKahn
You're the one who seems to think that this is a legitimate powerup no expression
You've got that backwards. It's only you and a handful of other posters (Null & shokosugi) who seem intent on dismissing the power up simply because you don't like it.

How is anything Rulk did close to this? The guy was actually beaten by Galactus.

He only owned Odin Force Thor, a Watcher, killed the Defenders and the Offenders, and killed the Grandmaster. Yeah, all that made perfect sense. No massive jobbing at all. no expression

ExodusCloak
He only owned Odin Force Thor, a Watcher, killed the Defenders and the Offenders, and killed the Grandmaster. Yeah, all that made perfect sense. No massive jobbing at all. no expression

He's powered by cosmic energy. embarrasment

TheKahn
He's powered by cosmic energy. embarrasment

He's powered by the Leob-force.

ExodusCloak
He's powered by the Leob-force.

True, but I think it was actually stated that he is powered by Cosmic Energy. Fall of the Hulks Alpha & Gamma. He can also absorb cosmic energy (FotH Alpha).

Battlehammer
I am so fed up with Loeb, I just wanna know who Red Hulk is but instead of telling us he brings forth a Red unknown she hulk. He answers questions with me questions......I sware if he brings in a blue hulk........

TheKahn
True, but I think it was actually stated that he is powered by Cosmic Energy. Fall of the Hulks Alpha & Gamma. He can also absorb cosmic energy (FotH Alpha).

I know. I was just using it as an example of the common practice of have less popular/more obscure characters (no matter how powerful) job in favor of newer/more popular ones.

ExodusCloak
I sware if he brings in a blue hulk........

I remember him saying that he has plans about doing that since Blue Hulk is very close to his heart given the fact that his daughter rights those cartoons at the end of each issue.

I know. I was just using it as an example of the common practice of have less popular/more obscure characters (no matter how powerful) job in favor of newer/more popular ones.

Ah sorry then, proceed. stick out tongue

Battlehammer
I remember him saying that he has plans about doing that since Blue Hulk is very close to his heart given the fact that his daughter rights those cartoons at the end of each issue.

Ah sorry then, proceed. stick out tongue
I know I heard she going to co sight with him........ugg hope not......that just ripping off a shitty DC idea.

TheKahn

I actually like those better than most of his stories. erm

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/487973-000y240b_super.jpg

Starscream M
lol

thats not bad

Kris Blaze
I wonder if Quesada ever gave her any hassle xD

tkitna

It's not like the only thing he did was beat a weaker version of MM, amirite?

All you people are getting your panties in an uproar over nothing. When I say lets wait and see what happens later, thats not me questioning Sentrys or Thors powersets, thats me stating that a fight never even happened in the first place for this debate to even exist.

Thor being tackled and then knocking the Sentry away isnt anything, but yet everybody jumped on the bandwagon that the Sentry isnt this all powerful person that we saw in Dark Avengers 12 because of it. Its typical and as I said, I expected it from this board.

Truthfully, Sentry should be able to just wish thor away and that would be the end of it, but that doesnt make for good comic stories now does it? We all know thats not going to happen so the Sentry is in a no win situation. Even if he beat up Thor the members around here would use that as a negative stating that he wasnt as all powerful as we said he was. I'm used to it and i'm prepared for it.

quanchi112

Why does a character drop from such a high level and back to what people consider his regular level. It's not the same as DS losing to Batman, Batman had a Plot Device. It's not like Hal having a hard time beating a low-meta, why? Because those are not high drops like what just happened to Sentry. He was very powerful in his fight with MM, and now, he dropped back to MH. It's a HUGE drop, much more then HH to meta. Sentry is the plot device. You just don't want to admit it. You can't have the sentry defeat every threat which comes his way, but I feel most writers come up with an excuse of how to get rid of him or shy away from him during major events like secret invasion.

Do you have a single example of a character dropping from killing someone who hovers around Abstract to be taken out by the Human Torch? If you take into consideration the sentry's mental status then they have already explained it. Originally posted by Kris Blaze
The drop from Trans/low Skyfather to low level is actually insane, but still much lower than Sentry's span from Abstract to high meta ish. And the Rulk comics are widely recognized as being complete and utter shit, yet people are being put out because they're calling Sentry's shit?

This is a far cry from the incidents where Thor and Superman rise to the occasion and beat someone a notch up on the tier list. It's a legit example of inconsistency and don't you dare tell me popularity doesn't play a factor in these things.

Because its not unprecedented. From the beginning they claimed he was able to stalemate Galactus, had him casually owning a herald, and lately had him able to resurrect himself and others instantly. Which of those doesn't scream really frackin' powerful to you? Exactly. The problem here is people are used to their preconceived notions about the character and this sudden showing scares them. It shows us he wasn't all hype like myself and a few others have always claimed.

tkitna
And yet there are a near infinite number of instances where characters have jobbed for the sake of a storyline -

This is a great statement. The sentry is indeed a character that jobs comic after comic just so a story can be done. Seriously, how many books have they had him run away just so the story can continue? Thats what gets me. People use that against the character all the time. Its frustrating.

Here on KMC, dont all battles have the characters being in top form and using all their powers to their fullest? If so, yes, I think Sentry is above the Supermans and Thors after what I saw from him in the last Avengers comic. Thats the point i'm trying to make.

kgkg

How is anything Rulk did close to this? The guy was actually beaten by Galactus. Rulk killing the Grandmaster with a punch is close this is something even the IG failed to do.

id369

Molecule Man went from beating Beyonder to getting drop by Sentry.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>