Netflix, ****s its customers in the ass. :(

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Short version, Netflix signed a contract with Warner Bros, they will no longer release any Warner Bros movie as a rental until 28 days after the initial DVD release hits the market. Warner Bros is hoping this will cause more people to buy movies instead of just renting.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100106-710531.html

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Short version, Netflix signed a contract with Warner Bros, they will no longer release any Warner Bros movie as a rental until 28 days after the initial DVD release hits the market. Warner Bros is hoping this will cause more people to buy movies instead of just renting.

I'm perfectly okay with that. My Netflix queue is so large that it is about 8 months behind actually getting a new release. Seriously.

This will not affect very many people, at all. I think the average netflix queue length is like 70 or something....making the average wait for a film waaaaaaay longer than 28 days.

What are you thoughts on what I said? I can think of several examples that will make my above point moot.

WickedDynamite
Never used Netflix before...I still go to my local video store and get what I need. Other times I just drive down to Hollywood Video.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon

What are you thoughts on what I said? I can think of several examples that will make my above point moot.

Yeah, except you're allowed to allocate your movies numerically as you see fit.

dadudemon
Yeah, except you're allowed to allocate your movies numerically as you see fit.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

That, however, will only affect impatient c*nts like yourself, though. big grin

How many people are that impatient? I set my queue up in the order I want them to come in: add as I see it.

Only rarely do I rearrange the order. I rearrange the order only when there's a particular TV series, in order, that I wanted to see: usually anime.

Shakyamunison
I rent the movies I want to see, but buy the movies I've already seen and want to collect. This agreement doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Darth Jello
It really doesn't make sense. Buyers provide one time revenue whereas renters provide a consistent revenue stream unless you put out movies like Uncle Buck and Ernest Goes to Camp.

AbnormalButSane
Both movies in my Queue.

I don't find it to be a problem personally as I rarely rent new movies. However, I can see where it would be frustrating for most people. (But really you usually have to wait for them anyway.)

Bardock42
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

That, however, will only affect impatient c*nts like yourself, though. big grin

How many people are that impatient? I set my queue up in the order I want them to come in: add as I see it.

Only rarely do I rearrange the order. I rearrange the order only when there's a particular TV series, in order, that I wanted to see: usually anime. Even if just 10% of the people are "impatient *****", as you so lovingly put it, it will still "screw over" a considerable amount of people who perhaps signed up with the understanding that they would be able to see DVDs upon release, no?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Darth Jello
It really doesn't make sense. Buyers provide one time revenue whereas renters provide a consistent revenue stream

Really? I thought that video rental worked pretty much the same way as a library.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Jello
It really doesn't make sense. Buyers provide one time revenue whereas renters provide a consistent revenue stream unless you put out movies like Uncle Buck and Ernest Goes to Camp.

Does make sense, when you consider how Netflix works. I pay them a flat monthly fee, I could rent 1 movie or 50 a month, doesn't matter, so this doesn't affect them, with the possibly up upset customers leaving over this. But I have a feeling WB worked some $$$ into the deal.

WB walks away the victor, as instead of Netflix buying 75 copies of 'Bugs Bunny Gets An Enema' and renting those DVDs out to 50K people, it's possible that hundreds or thousands of those would-be Netflix renters will now just buy the DVD, instead of waiting 28 days and then waiting again for Netflix to send it, which can takes weeks, for very popular movies.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Even if just 10% of the people are "impatient *****", as you so lovingly put it, it will still "screw over" a considerable amount of people who perhaps signed up with the understanding that they would be able to see DVDs upon release, no?

It's far less than 10%, actually. Netflix did some rather easy to do analysis of their shipping against movie dvd/blu-ray release, calculated the impact of causing a delay of WB releases of 28 days, and arrived at a direct customer impact of far less than 1%.

On top of this, they actually "blogged" about it, and spoke directly to their customers through social networking sites.

Part of this deal was also an on-the table discussion of getting more WB instant watch films, even big name ones. This is the one key area that Netflix owns the entie market on in terms of price, customer traffic, and instant watch quantity.

In other words, this WB's deal creates more benefit to the average Netflix customer, in the long run, than it does harm Netflix's long term business. The instant watch market is the fastest growing niche for video out there. Netflix just happens to be a whole head and shoulders above the rest.

Now, 5-10 years from now, deals like this will hurt Netflix if the primary source of service comes from their instant watch. The location that is "first" will be the top dog, really...up to a certain price, that is. So, we could see a price war for instant watch, if Netflix gets any competition, anytime soon.

BTW, this is far from the first time that Netflix delayed media from a large media company, due to a business deal. Off the top of my head, there's many TV shows that are available to stream from Netflix just a few days after they broadcast, live. But, the TV group that hosts the program gets exclusive 1 or 2 day replays via their instant watch options on their websites: ergo the 3-5 day delay in the instant watch feature from Netflix.

You may be asking yourself, "how the hell does Dom know so much about Netflix?" That's cause of all things, this is an area that fascinates me as much as video games. I love movies, the movie industry, the marketing, everything about it. This all ties into my all time favorite love: technologiessssss!

Bardock42
Can you show those numbers?

Of course it would be stupid for netflix to piss off too many of their customers. so they would probably have considered it beforehand.

Robtard
It's far less than 10%, actually. Netflix did some rather easy to do analysis of their shipping against movie dvd/blu-ray release, calculated the impact of causing a delay of WB releases of 28 days, and arrived at a direct customer impact of far less than 1%.

On top of this, they actually "blogged" about it, and spoke directly to their customers through social networking sites.

Conspiracy theory. Let me guess, the government doesn't lie to people either.

dadudemon
Can you show those numbers? And are they to be believed?

Not really. Can you find numbers that contradict it?

And yes.

Of course it would be stupid for netflix to piss off too many of their customers. so they would probably have considered it beforehand.

Duh.

And if you follow how Netflix does shit, you'd notice that they have douche bags that actually blog and doe the facebook/myspace, etc. bullshit to get a general feel of how some changes would affect business.

They still have yet to amend their packaging to accommodate the massive amounts of broken blu-rays. One of their PR people told me that they were testing new packages in certain markets, already. And I was like.....when? no expression

Case in point, 12 out of 15 blu-rays are broken when I get them. It's has something to do with the packaging and the USPS mail sorters. Netflix wants to blame it on the USPS, and the USPS blames it on Netflix for using an il-conceived packaging for an obviously brittle media. Realty: only Netflix is to blame as the USPS sorting infrastructure should NOT have to change just because one company didn't think to to accommodate potential mail sorting roughness.

The Nuul

Just like Cable Companies. Netflix is for boring and lazy people. Half the fun is going to the video store with your GF/Wife and checking out what movies we should rent. Manage doing that on Netflix? it would be lame...

dadudemon
Conspiracy theory. Let me guess, the government doesn't lie to people either.

Whaaa??

Why would an annual Multi-billion dollar company doing return of investment analysis of a change in business operations be a conspiracy theory?

The conspiracy theory would more likely be in them claiming to not have done one when making a deal like this. It would seem fishy that they would claim to not have done one in a deal with a major business partner and the changes they agreed upon.

Bardock42
Not really. Can you find numbers that contradict it?

And yes.

No, then again I didn't claim there are clear numbers of who would be affected, now did I?

Duh.

And if you follow how Netflix does shit, you'd notice that they have douche bags that actually blog and doe the facebook/myspace, etc. bullshit to get a general feel of how some changes would affect business.

They still have yet to amend their packaging to accommodate the massive amounts of broken blu-rays. One of their PR people told me that they were testing new packages in certain markets, already. And I was like.....when? no expression

Case in point, 12 out of 15 blu-rays are broken when I get them. It's has something to do with the packaging and the USPS mail sorters. Netflix wants to blame it on the USPS, and the USPS blames it on Netflix for using an il-conceived packaging for an obviously brittle media. Realty: only Netflix is to blame as the USPS sorting infrastructure should NOT have to change just because one company didn't think to to accommodate potential mail sorting roughness. Random, but I'd agree with your assessment, I can't tell from personal experience obviously, since Netflix just plain doesn't offer anything for Europe. Which is also why I only have a rudimentary understanding of their business. You seem to strife somewhat away from the point though, which is that some customers will be inconvenienced by that deal.

Robtard
Whaaa??

Why would an annual Multi-billion dollar company doing return of investment analysis of a change in business operations be a conspiracy theory?

The conspiracy theory would more likely be in them claiming to not have done one when making a deal like this. It would seem fishy that they would claim to not have done one in a deal with a major business partner and the changes they agreed upon.

I find the claim of :"they spoke with their customers and received positive feedback over a 28 day wait for movies from a major movie company", to smell of bad fish, just doesn't jive. They have 10+million customers, how many did they speak with and how many of those said "yeah, sounds good"?

One of Netflix's fundamentals was that they would have movies to rent the same day they hit the market, as to complete with video stores. They're reneging on that.

dadudemon
No, then again I didn't claim there are clear numbers of who would be affected, now did I?

That wasn't what I was getting at, Mr. Defensive. laughing

You probably won't find those numbers (on the net) unless you actually spoke to a netflix spokesperson. hint hint.

Random, but I'd agree with your assessment, I can't tell from personal experience obviously, since Netflix just plain doesn't offer anything for Europe. Which is also why I only have a rudimentary understanding of their business. You seem to strife somewhat away from the point though, which is that some customers will be inconvenienced by that deal.

Sort of off-topic, but it was to show where Netflix has and continues to actually screw their customers over on a significant level, and how they are claiming to address the obvious problem.

In other words, it was illustrating business adaptation of Netflix (the original point we were speaking of, sort of), while also showing how they screw their custoemrs (the topic of the thread.)

And, that sucks for you that you don't have Netflix: Europe. But, I am sure you guys have a mail distro service similar to Netflix.

dadudemon
I find the claim of :"they spoke with their customers and received positive feedback over a 28 day wait for movies from a major movie company", to smell of bad fish, just doesn't jive. They have 10+million customers, how many did they speak with and how many of those said "yeah, sounds good"?

One of Netflix's fundamentals was that they would have movies to rent the same day they hit the market, as to complete with video stores. They're reneging on that.

Hey, I never said they received "positive feedback." The impact was just deemed to be very insignificant and their more vocal customers didn't complain too much about it, when asked.

Bardock42
That wasn't what I was getting at, Mr. Defensive. laughing

You probably won't find those numbers (on the net) unless you actually spoke to a netflix spokesperson. hint hint.

You talk to Netflix employees a lot, eh?

Sort of off-topic, but it was to show where Netflix has and continues to actually screw their customers over on a significant level, and how they are claiming to address the obvious problem.

In other words, it was illustrating business adaptation of Netflix (the original point we were speaking of, sort of), while also showing how they screw their custoemrs (the topic of the thread.)

And, that sucks for you that you don't have Netflix: Europe. But, I am sure you guys have a mail distro service similar to Netflix.

I assume we do somewhere, I really am unable to find it though in the 2 minutes of research I devoted to it. It doesn't matter to me anyways, I get the movies I want someway or another.

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Nuul
Just like Cable Companies. Netflix is for boring and lazy people. Half the fun is going to the video store with your GF/Wife and checking out what movies we should rent. Manage doing that on Netflix? it would be lame...

I do that with my wife all the time.

In fact, we enjoy it much more as we can watch a preview of each film as we are "browsing." The idea that you need to browse a tangible store is becoming archaic...especially for films. How many stores allow a preview right then and there, as you are looking at the film in question? Exactly, you are stuck with the bullshit playing on the previews T.V.s instead of what you have in your hand. On top of that, most of the shit on the previews T.V.s are things like the New Moon b.s., or other blockbusters, but not the one you have in your hand.

Also, getting to sit down on the couch, snuggling with your significant other while you get to talk as much and as long as you want about a particular film is much more intimate than trying to not be obnoxiously loud or obtrusive to others trying to look at the same stuff you are. Plus, it's uncouth to grope your wife in the store...whereas, snuggling on the couch, it's almost a must.

Scythe
Bit of a drag, though I can count the number of WB movies I rent from them.

dadudemon
You talk to Netflix employees a lot, eh?

mmmmhmm. thumb up

Much more than the average movie reporter, I'd say.

I assume we do somewhere, I really am unable to find it though in the 2 minutes of research I devoted to it. It doesn't matter to me anyways, I get the movies I want someway or another.

You might have better luck if you asked a person at a movie rental store. Make sure they aren't an idiot.

Originally posted by Scythe

EXACTLY!

In that response, you have captured what the majority think about this...or at least those spoken to.

Bardock42
It does startle me though, that apparently less than 1% of people use Netflix to watch the most recent releases. Of course it would be interesting to know how Netflix defined being affected by it.

Robtard
Hey, I never said they received "positive feedback." The impact was just deemed to be very insignificant and their more vocal customers didn't complain too much about it, when asked.

You said less than 1%, that's pretty ****ing positive feedback when thinking of doing something logic would tell you will receive a negative backlash. Just doesn't jive.

Granted, I think the vast majority of customers either won't know, or won't care enough to do something about it, as the alternative is getting off your fat ass and going to the video store to rent a movie that might be gone already; I think this is what they relied on when taking WB's deal to grease the little guy's rectum.

Unless of course WB is just the beginning.

Robtard
Originally posted by Scythe

If they only make this deal with WB, big IF.

Bardock42
mmmmhmm. thumb up

Much more than the average movie reporter, I'd say.

You might have better luck if you asked a person at a movie rental store. Make sure they aren't an idiot.

EXACTLY!

In that response, you have captured what the majority think about this...or at least those spoken to.

I don't go to movie rental stores either.

But I found a few sites that do it now.

dadudemon
It does startle me though, that apparently less than 1% of people use Netflix to watch the most recent releases. Of course it would be interesting to know how Netflix defined being affected by it.

I assume it was how many of their TOTAL customer would be direclty affected but JUST WB releases...else they come up with such a low number?

You said less than 1%, that's pretty ****ing positive feedback when thinking of doing something logic would tell you will receive a negative backlash. Just doesn't jive.

You're confused on what I was talking about.

The first was a direct impact analysis. The latter was just some new-age jive funky viral marketing and research on Web 2.0 shit. Not the same thing.

One is an analysis, the other is asking people what they think of their new ideas.

There are several official netflix groups on Facebook that you can join. Feel free to join those and ask questions of the PR person. They do really well to answer questions if you don't ask like an idiot and are respectful.

Granted, I think the vast majority of customers either won't know, or won't care enough to do something about it, as the alternative is getting off your fat ass and going to the video store to rent a movie that might be gone already; I think this is what they relied on when taking WB's deal to grease the little guy's rectum.

Exactly. Very few people are directly impacted (meaning, they will not get their movie as soon as they normally would), and of those, very few care. Of those that care, very few would complain. Of those that complain, very few would change how they conducted businesss with Netflix. Of those that changed how they conducted business with Netflx, very few will cancel their services. Now, I don't know how many will cancel their services directly due to this business deal. Most likely, no one will cancel solely from this: more likely, they will cancel based on a collection of problems, as do almost all concelling customers of a particular service.

BackFire
Netflix has always been problematic when it comes to getting new releases. Usually as soon as a movie is released there is a 'short wait' to 'long wait' before it actually arrives, even if it's first in your queue. If you really want to see a new release you usually have to engage in a ridiculous mathematical game where you start to plan ahead, so that you send in your prior rental at a point in time so that they receive it on the day the next film you want to see gets released. Because if you're a single day behind the release date, you won't get the movie for a month anyways.

In short, netflix has never been reliable with getting new releases. I just use redbox or brick and mortar shops to rent new releases, and use netflix for older movies and their instant streams.

Still seems stupid on WB's part. Another studio failing to understand that people probably aren't buying their movies because their movies are crappy. Make better movies and people will buy them.

The Dark Cloud
I rarely rent movies anymore but when I do Hollywood video is just 5 mins away.

Amazing Vrayo!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100106-710531.html 28 days later?! by then i'll probably have already been killed by the mutant zombie disease victims. (amirite?)

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
Netflix has always been problematic when it comes to getting new releases. Usually as soon as a movie is released there is a 'short wait' to 'long wait' before it actually arrives, even if it's first in your queue. If you really want to see a new release you usually have to engage in a ridiculous mathematical game where you start to plan ahead, so that you send in your prior rental at a point in time so that they receive it on the day the next film you want to see gets released. Because if you're a single day behind the release date, you won't get the movie for a month anyways.

In short, netflix has never been reliable with getting new releases. I just use redbox or brick and mortar shops to rent new releases, and use netflix for older movies and their instant streams.

Still seems stupid on WB's part. Another studio failing to understand that people probably aren't buying their movies because their movies are crappy. Make better movies and people will buy them.

Interesting point. I actually have only had trouble one time with not getting a film and it was for an obscure anime film that wasn't at my local Netflix center here in OKC. It had a long ass wait for it.

Anyway, I actually cancelled my membership with blockbuster because they NEVER had the films I wanted at the stores...(new releases), and, their online stuff was even worse. Netflix rarely had this problem and I got my movies much much faster through them.

But, that all changed when my queue started getting bigger and bigger. Now, it doesn't even matter because it takes so long for a movie to get to me, due to my massive queue.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
I rarely rent movies anymore but when I do Hollywood video is just 5 mins away. I have a movie source. Cool guy, he sends me dvd's free. Bit of a homophobe, but nonetheless a cool guy.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I have a movie source. Cool guy, he sends me dvd's free. Bit of a homophobe, but nonetheless a cool guy.

If he's a homophobe, why would he send you movies? Doesn't make sense, I bet you're sucking his cock as payment.

leonheartmm
**** netflix, choose TORRENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Free Man
Netflix could have just said "Wait a minute, these people are going to survive without us hosting their movies? Good luck, WB!"

AsbestosFlaygon
Big deal.. WB makes a lot of crappy movies anyways.

Bardock42
They make all the DC movies, no?

AsbestosFlaygon
There are exceptions, of course.

dadudemon
Originally posted by leonheartmm
**** netflix, choose TORRENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** thieves causing the hysteria for the MPAA and RIAA. Us law-abiding citizens are ****ed over by those damned thieves.

Bardock42
**** thieves causing the hysteria for the MPAA and RIAA. Us law-abiding citizens are ****ed over by those damned thieves.

I will stop stealing if there is a reasonable alternative offer available in my country.

dadudemon
I will stop stealing if there is a reasonable alternative offer available in my country.

I was just joking. I couldn't care less about other people using torrents.

However, I don't like how hysterical the MPAA and the RIAA are.

Symmetric Chaos

There isn't a single place to buy or rent videos in all of Germany?

AsbestosFlaygon
Using torrents isn't really stealing

Scythe
Ahaha.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There isn't a single place to buy or rent videos in all of Germany?

There is, but they are expensive, usually late and if you are unlucky only in German. That's not a reasonable alternative, especially when you are talking about TV Shows.

Rogue Jedi
If he's a homophobe, why would he send you movies? Doesn't make sense, I bet you're sucking his cock as payment. haermm Your own personal Fantasy Island.

Bicnarok
Most people download them anyway so let them do what they want.

Ray Rubio
The Hollywood DVD movie industry is in trouble
their sales have been going down in recent years
due to several reasons including piracy and internet
streaming sites.

They have to make a transition to the digital era,
however they are trying to survive as long as possible
making deals like these one with NetFlix so Hollywood
can sell more DVDs before they go online.

It is good for NetFlix longterm because whit these deals
they will get more streaming movies for their site,
but short term they are pissing many customers.

Lets see how it goes

Ray

Robtard
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Using torrents isn't really stealing

It's more like borrowing without permission and having no intent on compensating the property's owner.

dadudemon
It's more like borrowing without permission and having no intent on compensating the property's owner.

Yu..

Wait a minute...

Isn't that stealing?

Rogue Jedi
*downloads a buncha shit for free for the lulz*

Bicnarok

WhiskeyGirl

eh...I don't really care. If I'm dying to see it, I go to the theatre. And if I want to see it when it's released I either buy it, or watch it on PPV

The Nuul
This is more about greed than giving the people what they want, I say screw those big production companies since they rather destroy peoples lives than giving them a break.

dadudemon

inimalist
Yu..

Wait a minute...

Isn't that stealing?

The RIAA only uses the term "theft" in its propoganda

the only legal issue in piracy is distribution rights. You aren't taking something that is the property of an artist or company, but rather giving something that only they have the right to give in a manner not approved of by said artists or company.

Romanticize it a bit and you have the story of Prometheus

One Free Man
Originally posted by inimalist
The RIAA only uses the term "theft" in its propoganda

the only legal issue in piracy is distribution rights. You aren't taking something that is the property of an artist or company, but rather giving something that only they have the right to give in a manner not approved of by said artists or company.

Romanticize it a bit and you have the story of Prometheus Not really. I understand the point and all, and there's no legitimate threat of this in the near future, but If we all stole, nobody would be paid enough to produce the product. Therefor we shouldn't steal it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.