The Angry Video Game Nerd.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CrowRoboto
The greatest game critic ever! who else is a fan?

I've been watching his reviews on youtube and screwattack since i saw his review of Friday The 13th for Nintendo on "His Name is Jason" DVD.

Q'Anilia
I have seen probably a dozen or so reviews by him. Maybe more. I like the guy most of the time, but he has his bad reviews. Although all-in-all, I really enjoy watching him.

BackFire
His Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles review is pure gold.

Quincy
He gets annoying. The whole time he just yells

"What the ****!?"

"And you can't even - this is bullshit!"

but like, the entire time.

Morridini
Seen all his videos, he has some great movie reviews as well.

Here's his official website; http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/index.php

ArtificialGlory
I've seen most of his old school game "reviews." He's funny as hell most of the time.

Peach
Honestly, he annoys me more often than anything else.

Funny, yes. But also extremely annoying.

Darth Jello
I like him but I really disagree with his opinion of Simon's Quest. One of the best games ever made.

Ushgarak
He re-did all the Castlevania games lately. That Simon's Quest review was his first one, originally meant only for his friends, and was not serious. In fact, half the point of the Nerd is that he is an in-character person who rips the hell out of the negative points of games, without intending to be fair about it. James Rolfe himself is fine with Simon's Quest; thatr doesn't stop his Nerd criticisms having a point. Still, have a look at his Christmas reviews of all the old Castlevania games, where he makes a lot out of having to do Simon's Quest again.

The AVGN is great- obviously with so many vids, he is going to have a few misses (he ballsed up with the recent Winter Games one- it basically amounts to him not liking to read manuals so he cannot play the game), but he's amazingly funny most of the time.

He's also spawned a generation of people doing similar (yet distinct) things, based around a guy called the Nostalgia Critic, who does films as AVGN does games. NC's site has now grown so big (including some very funny other personages like general sarcastic stuff-reviewer Spoony, whose FFVIII review is one of the best things I have ever seen, the Nostalgia Chick who tends to analyse female roles in classic films (AND SHE IS A GIRL!!! OMG!!!), Linkara who does comic books, Lordkat who plays through incredibly hard games... oh there are loads of them) that it has become an internet phenomenon in its own right.

Last summer, the NC site contributorsf all had a big meet up in Chicago and invited the Nerd along for a ton of crossover videos (and a big simulated punch up).

There are basically hundreds of hours of footage of these guys, all from a culture that James Rolfe created. If you are nerdy enough, check it all out- here is the NC's site. They all worship the Nerd at heart.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/

(if you want something quick, check out the NC's five second movies. The Star Wars prequel ones and his Harry Potter one are awesome).

One Free Man
Zero Punctuation>>>...

Rapidash
Good job stretching the page.

Angry Videogame Nerd has his moments when he make me laugh, but I find him annoying more often than funny.

Peach
Originally posted by One Free Man
Zero Punctuation>>>...

Don't ever do that again.

Morridini
Originally posted by Ushgarak
(if you want something quick, check out the NC's five second movies. The Star Wars prequel ones and his Harry Potter one are awesome).

I'm a constant follower of NC, Ask that Guy, the Bum, Nostialgia Chick and Linkara, but those 5-sec movies I've never managed to enjoy.

Ridley_Prime
Nostalgia Critic > Angry Video Game Nerd

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Morridini
I'm a constant follower of NC, Ask that Guy, the Bum, Nostialgia Chick and Linkara, but those 5-sec movies I've never managed to enjoy.

Those ones I mentioned are orders of magnitude more funny than The Bum and Ask That Guy...

MadMel
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Nostalgia Critic > Angry Video Game Nerd
so true big grin

SaTsuJiN
Even though he rants ridiculously.. he brings up good points.. unlike the zero whatever dude who wastes 1 to 2 minutes of my time not really reviewing the game at all.. but instead just goes on like the friggin micromachines dude trying to get a laugh by taking a steaming dump on every game ever created

Spartan005
not a big fan of the angry video game nerd character... but I like the guy who plays him, along with all of his other stuff.

The first time I watched his "Top 10 Giant Movie Monsters" video, I nearly died from laughing so hard

Morridini
Those ones I mentioned are orders of magnitude more funny than The Bum and Ask That Guy...

Ok seems I chose poorly when I checked out the 5-sec videos, I just chose two at random, Lion King and Watchmen, and judged all by those. Star Wars Episode II and III were hilarious.

Still I say the Bum has some excellent reviews.

Ushgarak
A lot of the 5-second movies are not done by him, and the others are no good. And not even many of his ones are THAT good. You do have to choose well.

(Watchmen is definitely not his- he stopped doing them about two eyars ago on the grounds he had pushed them as far as he could).

One Free Man
Originally posted by Peach
Don't ever do that again. well how in god's sweet name am I supposed to elaborate accurately my feelings of how superior something is to something sooo inferior? It's oh-so-difficult to elaborate PI if you can't use more than 1 digit.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by CrowRoboto
The greatest game critic ever! who else is a fan?

I've been watching his reviews on youtube and screwattack since i saw his review of Friday The 13th for Nintendo on "His Name is Jason" DVD. He's funny although I prefer Armake.

I like FeartheKat's until we win. He plays legendary hard games (the stuff I like) such as Silver Surfer, Battletoads, Chakan, and Ghost's and Goblins and he beats them while describing the game. Not a lot of unnecessary ranting either.

Bardock42
well how in god's sweet name am I supposed to elaborate accurately my feelings of how superior something is to something sooo inferior? It's oh-so-difficult to elaborate PI if you can't use more than 1 digit.

look 500 digits no stretched page

Zero Punctuation>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AWGN

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
He's funny although I prefer Armake.

I like FeartheKat's until we win. He plays legendary hard games (the stuff I like) such as Silver Surfer, Battletoads, Chakan, and Ghost's and Goblins and he beats them while describing the game. Not a lot of unnecessary ranting either.

He's Lordkat there.

On the other hand, his video editing is not great, he uses the same phrases over and over, and there is some dobut as to whether he iis genuinely doing what he says or not. Various technical errors seem to keep cropping up to stop him proving it.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Bardock42

look 500 digits no stretched page

Zero Punctuation>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AWGN

Pwnd.

WickedDynamite
My problem with critics such as Nostalgia, Angry Nintendo Game Nerd, and Zero punctuation (which are very funny talented people) is that they over use profanity and abusive vulgar methods to make their criticism.

Whereas guys like Adam Sessler use profesional and more educated (if you want to call it that) criticism in their reviews.

I still prefer Adam over the rest.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
My problem with critics such as Nostalgia, Angry Nintendo Game Nerd, and Zero punctuation (which are very funny talented people) is that they over use profanity and abusive vulgar methods to make their criticism.

Whereas guys like Adam Sessler use profesional and more educated (if you want to call it that) criticism in their reviews.

I still prefer Adam over the rest.

Yea, but that's kind of the point. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there who enjoy toilet humour, etc.

WickedDynamite
So do I...the thing is they're becoming a one trick pony. Thus, its gets old and can't be taken with interest.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
So do I...the thing is they're becoming a one trick pony. Thus, its gets old and can't be taken with interest.

That's kind of true, but I've noticed that AVGN isn't using quite as much profanity in his more recent reviews. He generally doesn't get pissed off quite as much or so much either.

jinXed by JaNx
Inecomgamecompany///// Look him up. You bitches won't be disappointed. This guy was doing it back before the nerd thought it was cool.

That dude has style class and charm, plus he doesn't need to use shitty foul language to lure his viewers. just good ol wholesome games.

Darth Jello
Even though it is extremely NSFW, my favorite 5 second movie is Batman & Robin. I even appreciate the extremely controversial Spooning with Spoony clips.

Other than Simon's Quest, I think all of the Nerd's reviews are spot on, even the more contentious ones. Ninja Turtles was a horrible game. You couldn't even beat the PC port without cheat codes because of a glitch. The NES port of Metal Gear was awful too.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Inecomgamecompany///// Look him up. You bitches won't be disappointed. This guy was doing it back before the nerd thought it was cool.

That dude has style class and charm, plus he doesn't need to use shitty foul language to lure his viewers. just good ol wholesome games.

You mean Classic Game Room? He's cool, but nothing too special.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
You mean Classic Game Room? He's cool, but nothing too special.

Yeah...,He's the man, dude. and yes, he is something special. He's been carrying on the torch for a long time now. It's a side hobbie of his and he devotes a lot of work into it. I wasn't hating on Rolfe or the NC They're an inspiration. But we should give credit where credit is due. That dude. Loves to play games because it makes him feel like a kid again.

ArtificialGlory
Yeah...,He's the man, dude. and yes, he is something special. He's been carrying on the torch for a long time now. It's a side hobbie of his and he devotes a lot of work into it. I wasn't hating on Rolfe or the NC They're an inspiration. But we should give credit where credit is due. That dude. Loves to play games because it makes him feel like a kid again.

Yes, but he's a serious kind of reviewer. I don't look to AVGN or ZP for serious or fair reviews. Really, if I wanted a "professional" review of a game I'd probably turn to online reviewers like IGN, GS or Metacritic(not to say that they are always fair or accurate, nothing is).

Sure, Classic Game Room is pretty neat to watch, but I wouldn't look up to him as some kind of a shining beacon of awesomeness. Some of his reviews aren't all that accurate or complete, like the one on SupCom, for example. Though I agree that Classic Game Room is probably the best overall reviewer on YouTube.

Peach
well how in god's sweet name am I supposed to elaborate accurately my feelings of how superior something is to something sooo inferior? It's oh-so-difficult to elaborate PI if you can't use more than 1 digit.

How about by using actual words instead of breaking the page using the larger than symbol a billion times?

And I don't count ZP as a reviewer at all, as all he does is bash on a game.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Peach
How about by using actual words instead of breaking the page using the larger than symbol a billion times?

And I don't count ZP as a reviewer at all, as all he does is bash on a game.

Well, that's not all he does, but you are right his point is not really to give a fair portrayal of a game. He's more of a comedian, than a reviewer, which doesn't mean that he hasn't got very good points in his videos and many of the issues he raises are spot on, I'd just say that his "taste" is overly critical for me, I enjoy many of the games he hated, though when he says he liked a game in my experience it's usually pretty good.

I prefer that anyways, I don't care for "professional" reviews and critiques generally (be it games, movies, music...)

Morridini
None of these people shall be taken seriously.

ZP is only bashing games, not really reviewing them. Doug and James do real reviews, but from the point of view of a fictious character (AVGN and NC). They're basicly actors.

Kris Blaze
Regardless of intentions, I learn more about a game from the ZP reviews than I do from say IGN.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Morridini
None of these people shall be taken seriously.

ZP is only bashing games, not really reviewing them. Doug and James do real reviews, but from the point of view of a fictious character (AVGN and NC). They're basicly actors.

Well, you could say that Yahtzee just bashes them, but it somewhat implies that they are baseless attacks, which tends to not be the case. I don't see why they shouldn't be taken seriously either, just because they don't discuss the game with a long pro and con list?

CrowRoboto
Do you all agree or disagree on the following games he calls bad?

X-Men for NES.
Superman 64 for NES.
Friday The 13th for NES.
A Nightmare on Elm Street for NES.
Wolverine for NES.
Back to the Future Trilogy for NES.
Ghostbusters for NES.
Ghostbusters 2 for NES.
Winter Games for NES.
Terminator for NES.
Terminator 2 for SNES and NES.
Spider-Man Revenge of the Sinister Six for NES.
Superman for NES.
Batman Return of the Joker for NES.
Batman Revenge of the Joker for NES.
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest for NES.
Battletoads for NES.
Top Gun 1 & 2 for NES.
Independence Day for PS1.
Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom for NES.
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade for NES.
Star Trek 25th Anniversary for NES.
Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari.
Silver Surfer for NES.
Die Hard for NES.
The Simpsons: Bart vs. The World and Bart vs. The Space Mutants for NES.
Shaq-Fu for SNES.
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout for NES.
Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle for NES.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit for NES.
Mario is Missing for SNES.
McKids for NES.
Fester's Quest for NES.
Dick Tracy for NES.
Super Pitfall for NES.
Metal Gear for NES.
The Wizard of Oz for SNES.
Bram Stoker's Dracula for SNES.
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein for SNES.
Dragon's Lair for NES.
Wayne's World for NES and SNES.
Double Dragon 3 for NES.
Frankenstein The Monster Returns for NES.
Godzilla for NES.
Rambo for NES.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES.

Ridley_Prime
Superman 64 for NES.
lolwut?

Morridini
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES.

This is the only game he's bashed which I've played, and I really liked it back in the day. Think I got it on the VC as well.

One Free Man
ZP's opinions on games are always spot-on in my book. And he doesn't always just bash. He does give positive areas, but I don't want to know what's good about the game, i've heard that, that's why I'm looking. I want to know if its going to frustrate the hell outa me.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Yes, but he's a serious kind of reviewer. I don't look to AVGN or ZP for serious or fair reviews. Really, if I wanted a "professional" review of a game I'd probably turn to online reviewers like IGN, GS or Metacritic(not to say that they are always fair or accurate, nothing is).

Sure, Classic Game Room is pretty neat to watch, but I wouldn't look up to him as some kind of a shining beacon of awesomeness. Some of his reviews aren't all that accurate or complete, like the one on SupCom, for example. Though I agree that Classic Game Room is probably the best overall reviewer on YouTube.

Serious in what way? He hasn't created a facade or character to review his games, that's true. He's always lighthearted and funny just like any other nerd. I Know what your saying though. The nerd and NC definitely inspire more creativity but some people out there are just calm and collected all of the time laughing out loud

Tha C-Master
He's Lordkat there.

On the other hand, his video editing is not great, he uses the same phrases over and over, and there is some dobut as to whether he iis genuinely doing what he says or not. Various technical errors seem to keep cropping up to stop him proving it. Also Armake is now BoxedEntertainment, instead of his previous usernames.

Yea it isn't spectacular and flashy, but that makes it feel somewhat more real. It is true that it is possible he didn't do it also. Things are hard to completely prove. I wouldn't mind doing game reviews on some old school stuff, but I don't have the time as I don't play games much anymore. I try my best to prove what I do, like I did with my Battletoads stunts with no screen (I'm doing more of them as well). Haven't had any real doubts from people, but someone could always raise the question, or just troll.

QuGwl2Aa_UQ

ArtificialGlory
Serious in what way? He hasn't created a facade or character to review his games, that's true. He's always lighthearted and funny just like any other nerd. I Know what your saying though. The nerd and NC definitely inspire more creativity but some people out there are just calm and collected all of the time laughing out loud

Well yes, by 'serious' I meant more "professional." He attempts to give a game a real review instead of just looking for things to bash it for.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.