Favorite remakes of the genre anyone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CrowRoboto
With remakes being a thing nowadays with some being good or bad, now The Crazies looks promising since the original was one of Romero's weakest and Elm Street looks fun.

What are your faves of the genre?

Mine are:
The Thing.
The Fly.
The Blob.
Dawn of the Dead.
Night of the Living Dead.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978.
Cat People.
The Hills Have Eyes.
My Bloody Valentine 3D.
The Last House on The Left.
The Ring.
Peter Jackson's King Kong.
Friday The 13th. (Sometimes it didn't felt like a remake but felt more like another sequel of the franchise)
The Toolbox Murders.
2001 Maniacs.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Halloween. (A guilty pleasure of mine)

jaden101
I agree with The Fly, The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers...All superb remakes.

I also liked the recent remake of the Andromeda Strain which has some horror elements to it.

WhiskeyGirl
Originally posted by CrowRoboto
With remakes being a thing nowadays with some being good or bad, now The Crazies looks promising since the original was one of Romero's weakest and Elm Street looks fun.

What are your faves of the genre?

Mine are:
The Thing.
The Fly.
The Blob.
Dawn of the Dead.
Night of the Living Dead.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978.
Cat People.
The Hills Have Eyes.
My Bloody Valentine 3D.
The Last House on The Left.
The Ring.
Peter Jackson's King Kong.
Friday The 13th. (Sometimes it didn't felt like a remake but felt more like another sequel of the franchise)
The Toolbox Murders.
2001 Maniacs.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Halloween. (A guilty pleasure of mine)

The Thing
The Fly
The Blob
The Hills Have Eyes
The Last House on The Left
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Not the Beginning, that was just stupid)
Friday the 13th

I didn't like Halloweens Remake. It was ok, I would've liked it if I had never heard of the original.

The second one was an abomination

Micheal_Myers
Night of The Living Dead 90's remake.
I also enjoyed the first TCM remake...wont even lie...

CrowRoboto
Andromeda Strain is really Sci-fi and not horror.

MildPossession
Yep, The Crazies does look promising, look forwards to it.

Apart from the obvious classics from decades ago like The Thing and so on; The Hills Have Eyes remake is one of my favourites, and to me superior to the original. Definitely was a good move to let the Haute Tension guy make the remake, see what he has done with the Pirahna remake soon.

Dawn of the Dead is another remake I adore. The Ring was a decent attempt at a remake and enjoyed it, shame about the terrible sequel to the remake.

CrowRoboto
What do you think of other remakes i mentioned like Fly or Night of the Living Dead?

Wolfie
The Hills Have Eyes
Halloween
Halloween II
The Thing
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Friday the 13th
Toolbox Murders
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Seeing as I've enjoyed all the major slasher remakes so far, I'm looking forward to A Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser.

Child's Play, however, I feel is pointless to remake since Brad Dourif is returning as the voice of Chucky. The point of a remake is to revamp it, and this looks like rehashing the first one. Not to mention I was really hoping for Child's Play 6.

And after seeing the original Little Shop of Horrors, I realized a great way to remake The Evil Dead would be to adapt the Broadway musical.

Originally posted by MildPossession
The Hills Have Eyes remake is one of my favourites, and to me superior to the original. Definitely was a good move to let the Haute Tension guy make the remake, see what he has done with the Pirahna remake soon.
After Haute Tension and The Hills Have Eyes, I had faith that that director would be the next big name in horror. Now it seems he had one good idea, the rest are remakes.

MildPossession
That's usually what happens when a foreign director comes over to work in America unfortunately. His remake of Into the Mirror was terrible, hoping he picks up with yet another remake, Piranha...

As I said, obvious classics. Like The Fly. I enjoyed. Have yet to see the remake of Dead though.

CrowRoboto
The Crazies was one of Romero's weakest movies as it's nowhere as great as Dawn of the Dead or Night of the Living Dead, i think Romero is gonna be producer on this one.

Halloween 2 was not a remake but had some homages to the original 1981 version, where's the love for Cat People from 1982?

jinXed by JaNx
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
The last house on the Left
The Thing
The Fly
House on Haunted Hill

jaden101
Originally posted by CrowRoboto
Andromeda Strain is really Sci-fi and not horror.

True...But when you have people sawing their own heads off with chainsaws then you can see where my "horror elements" point comes into it.

BackFire
The Thing, The Fly, Hills Have Eyes, Last House remake wasn't totally terrible.

wicker_man
The Thing and The Fly as they offered a totally different angle to the films i.e. taking it way from it's B-movie roots and making it into somewhat of a psychological affair. I also really enjoyed/enjoy Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.