Top 3 John Grisham Books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sgt.Shakedown
I am a huge fan of John Grisham and I was wondering what everyone's top 3 books of his are.

Mine are:

1. The Broker
2. The Pelican Brief
3. The Client

Lincoln Rhyme
I've only read one book by Grisham(it was called The Last Juror),I did not think it was very god. Although I do plan on reading his other works.

Wanderer11
A Time to Kill
The Broker
Runnaway Jury

The Power
The Broker
Runnaway Jury
The Client

Alpha-7
The Last Juror
The Firm
The Broker

Lord Shadow Z
1.The Chamber
2.The Broker
3.The Last Juror

Grishams brilliant, I've read all his non-courtroom novels as well. Its funny I read 'Bleachers', enjoyed the book but didn't take it any further. But only recently I read 'Playing For Pizza' and now if I see American Football on tv I'll watch it.

I watched the Saints vs the Colts in the Superbowl because of that book(read up on the rules of the game first of course).

Wanderer11
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
1.The Chamber
2.The Broker
3.The Last Juror

Grishams brilliant, I've read all his non-courtroom novels as well. Its funny I read 'Bleachers', enjoyed the book but didn't take it any further. But only recently I read 'Playing For Pizza' and now if I see American Football on tv I'll watch it.

I watched the Saints vs the Colts in the Superbowl because of that book(read up on the rules of the game first of course).

I really enjoyed 'Playing For Pizza' and glad to see that I am not alone.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Wanderer11
I really enjoyed 'Playing For Pizza' and glad to see that I am not alone.

Well, I felt that he made the game easy to understand in the book but didn't over simplify it. But the main reason it worked for me was the location of the story.

Basing his novel in Italy really worked in 'The Broker' so I was happy to see him write about it again. Also the main character Rick Dockery was a bit unlike his other characters, having to cope with a different kind of adversity.

All in all, good read but I'm waiting to read The Appeal next... so back to the courtroom for me!

Zoom
The Broker
The Client
The Firm

Jaeh.is.Awesome
since I've only been attracted and interested by two, I'd say

1. The Client
2. Runaway Jury

...so, yeah. I probably should read more Grisham when I have the time.

Wanderer11
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
since I've only been attracted and interested by two, I'd say

1. The Client
2. Runaway Jury

...so, yeah. I probably should read more Grisham when I have the time.

If you enjoyed the two you have listed you should read more of his work when you have the time. I would be happy to recommend some.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by Wanderer11
If you enjoyed the two you have listed you should read more of his work when you have the time. I would be happy to recommend some.

yep, definitely enjoyed it. any other suggestions? smile

Wanderer11
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
yep, definitely enjoyed it. any other suggestions? smile

I would suggest: The Broker, The Firm and The Pelican Brief.

bogert
I have only read "The Broker"
It was really good.
Now I am seeking time for reading those two.

siriuswriter
I was a fanatic of John Grisham when he was coming out with his older books. It seems that he's really been tamed. If you think about the fact that he wrote "A Time To Kill" under a pseudonymn, because he was afraid of being attacked, to now, where he's like main stream to the nth, I dunno.

But I do love his older books :

"A Time To Kill"
"The Firm"
"Runaway Jury"
"The Rainmaker"
"The Chamber"
"The Partner"
I could go on, but anybody looking for recommendations should try any of these books. big grin

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I was a fanatic of John Grisham when he was coming out with his older books. It seems that he's really been tamed.

I'm kind of getting the same feeling, massive fan but there's a bit of a spark missing from some of the recent stuff coming out which isn't interesting me. I tried to read 'The Confession' a while ago and it didn't really grab me at all, even felt more like something that would have been better for a short story.

Probably 'The Broker' and 'The Associate' were the last two of the legal ones which I would call vintage Grisham. He's also better when violence or violent themes are mixed in with all the legal prose, gives a charge to the story and is what makes the older ones like 'The Pelican Brief', 'The Client', 'A Time to Kill', 'The Chamber', and many others special.

If you like legal thrillers though, William Diehl's 'Primal Fear', Reed Arvin's 'The Will' and most clear in my memory James Sheehan's 'The Mayor of Lexington Avenue' are great reads in that genre.

siriuswriter
I know which exactly which book put me off Grisham when I read it.
"The King of Torts." It was soooo... not intense. Now I just recycle the early books through, they've never lost their "tenseness." Their "I can't quit reading right now the next chapter this something's going to happen and I have to stick with it-ness."

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I know which exactly which book put me off Grisham when I read it.
"The King of Torts." It was soooo... not intense. Now I just recycle the early books through, they've never lost their "tenseness." Their "I can't quit reading right now the next chapter this something's going to happen and I have to stick with it-ness."

'The King of Torts' didn't have the danger I feel but was more a commentary about how shallow and greedy a guy could get within the legal world and the pitfalls with that. I read it, and liked it but it left no real lasting impression. I know what you mean with the earlier ones, he can write great action, and some seriously deranged characters but hasn't done that in a while I feel.

He needs to go back to that and get off this corporate espionage and big firm settlement train and put a charge through his writing again.

Because there's only so many ways you can write about small-time victims vs big-time oil/toxic waste/cigarette companies before you realise that's all he's writing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.