Heavy Metal (1981).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CrowRoboto
Awesome cult Sci-fi horror fantasy animated anthology based on the still ongoing adult comic magazine is a barrel of fun. It stars John Candy, Susan Roman, Eugene Levy and Harold Ramis as voices with the makers of the 1977 animated cult fave "Raggedy Ann and Andy a Musical Adventure" behind this movie's animation and production with Ivan Reitman of Ghostbusters fame as producer.

It's about an evil orb from space that terrorizes a young girl as he tells her five stories of futuristic cab drivers, a teen boy turned into a bald purple skinned He-Man kind of fellow, disorder in the court in space, WWII zombies, stoner aliens who bring an earthling Jewish babe and a babe-o-licious female warrior who must save the universe.

Some of the animation is crude but this is 80's animation as it's proud of it with some early rotoscoping before today's CGI use. There's plenty of hot animated girls especially Taarna who get nude, graphic gory violence, swearing, drugs and an awesome old school soundtrack of a dozen rockbands with Elmer Bernstein's majestic score.

It's kind of like a hybrid of "The Fifth Element", "Akira", "The Neverending Story", "Twilight Zone The Movie" and "Wicked City". One of my favorites since i was 12 back in 1993 when it aired on TBS when i taped it then rebought it on video back in 1996 at age 15 in it's uncut uncensored glory.

Stay away from the awful in-name only Heavy Metal 2000 sequel and stick to this one. There is even gonna be a new HM movie with 13 stories with a variety of different animation and different directors like David Fincher, Guillermo Del Toro, James Cameron, Zack Snyder, Rob Zombie, Gore Verbinski, Jack Black and others.

Kazenji
Originally posted by CrowRoboto

Stay away from the awful in-name only Heavy Metal 2000 sequel and stick to this one. .

Oh rly?

i quite enjoyed the 2000 sequal.

CrowRoboto
Have you read the graphic novels or magazine of Heavy Metal?

roughrider
This should be in SciFi/Fantasy or the Animation forums.

CrowRoboto
Well this is a comic book movie so it counts as one.

Does anyone think this movie inspired The Fifth Element and can be compared to anime even raunchy and gory ones like Wicked City or Urotuskidoji: Legend of the Overfiend?

Kazenji
Have you read the graphic novels or magazine of Heavy Metal?

No i have'nt

but i have played one of the games

regardless i still liked the sequal.

roughrider
How many people realize this is a Canadian-made movie? wink

It got distributed by Columbia Pictures, but the financing was from Canadian tax shelter monies. Behind the scenes Canadian talent included producer Ivan Reitman and director Gerald Potterton, a veteran of the NFB - The National Film Board Of Canada.

And the voices - half of Canada's SCTV comedy sketch show is in there! John Candy, Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, Harold Ramis; plus other Canadian actors like Jackie Burroughs & Marilyn Lightstone.

CrowRoboto
I know it's a American-Canadian production and that the film was made by Ivan Reitman, who else loved the soundtrack?

And who thought Taarna was a babe?

roughrider
I know it's a American-Canadian production and that the film was made by Ivan Reitman, who else loved the soundtrack?

And who thought Taarna was a babe?

The soundtrack is the reason it didn't released to VHS home video until 1996. A long running squabble with the various bands over rights and compensation - took 15 years to resolve! But it was cool that the video was preceded by a limited theatrical release in the spring of 1996; fully remastered prints and all.

Yes, I like Taarna. Toronto model Carole Desbiens modeled her on the sound stage, and they animated Taarna based on her.

http://www.taarna.net/

CrowRoboto
MMMM yes that actress is hot as her animated counterpart. Harry Canyon and Korben Dallas are sort of alike don't you think?

jinXed by JaNx
Classic movie. The art has become dated over the years but still remains charming and fascinating and in some ways superior to modern animated movies.

roughrider
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Classic movie. The art has become dated over the years but still remains charming and fascinating and in some ways superior to modern animated movies.

It was experimental, having a different animation crew somewhere in the world handling each segment. Meant some sequences looked a bit rough, but fascinating to look at nevertheless.

CrowRoboto
But would compare this movie to Ralph Bakshi's stuff, South Park The Movie or even erotic and gory anime like Urotsukidoji or Wicked City in terms of mature audiences only animation?

Luc Besson must be a fan of this movie.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by roughrider
It was experimental, having a different animation crew somewhere in the world handling each segment. Meant some sequences looked a bit rough, but fascinating to look at nevertheless.

Yeah, i don't think the movie would have worked had it been smooth. It's quite hypnotic at times.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.