will homosapiens ever become extinct ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chomperx9
what the thread title says

we know everything has to have an end including time and life

but will man kind be extinct before the end of time or before something happening to the earth ?

as in we are one of the 1s species today to be extinct

BruceSkywalker
only if homo superior destroys us

Wild Shadow
they are real i saw them on TV the next wave of humans are superior then majority of us....
like they can play golf at a professional lvl at the age of 10 or something and others can speak multiple languages and had verbal skills within months of being born...

others are able to do complicated mathematics equations and have already amassed millions in the stock market at a very young age..

there is a little 8 or 10 yr old that can run marathons and has bn shown to possess superior physical stats above most adult athletes

Symmetric Chaos
The species homo spaiens sapiens as we know it will probably be extinct within a few hundred years. Our ancestors will be extremely alien either from genetic or mechanical modification.

shiv
nah. we'll zap some with a freezeray and stick them in a museum before that happens

Scythe
Hell yes! I think we'll kill eachother off or some natural disaster will wipe us clean before the planet dies.

One Free Man
We will not ever evolve at this point. We are strong in our numbers, not in our physicality. At the obese rate that lazy humans are breeding, we are devolving, with no survival based circumstances to push our species further.

WickedDynamite
No...we will eventually become the New Gods!

I get to be Orion because my ass kicking skills are BAD!

Shakyamunison
Yes.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by WickedDynamite

And your fashion taste is horrible!

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
And your fashion taste is horrible!

Still, my daddy is one of the most Evil ONE-BAD-BIG-O-MOTHA of the universe!

cool

The Dark Cloud
All species go extinct eventually, homo sapiens will be no exception.

Liberator
Agreed with Dark Cloud, while humans will probably still exist in some form or another, homo sapiens will likely do what has been down for milennia, evolve, adapt, or die.

jinXed by JaNx
Frack no man, we gonna develop Time travel. Don't no one watch Star trek anymore?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Yes. Couldn't have put it better myself.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by chomperx9
what the thread title says

we know everything has to have an end including time and life

but will man kind be extinct before the end of time or before something happening to the earth ?

as in we are one of the 1s species today to be extinct

The answer is no. our species will not become extinct. we will evolve into a type I civilization then a type II civilization a few thousand years afterwards followed by a type III civilization.

nothing has to end.

AsbestosFlaygon
Oh, but it will.

Everything has an end.

§P0oONY
The sun has a limited life span... Earth is doomed. we are doomed.

Symmetric Chaos

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by One Free Man
We will not ever evolve at this point. We are strong in our numbers, not in our physicality. At the obese rate that lazy humans are breeding, we are devolving, with no survival based circumstances to push our species further.
4chan, Sarah Palin as VP candidate, Islam extremists, Lil Wayne, TheYNC...

All these are signs of the devolution of man.

This is only the beginning of the end.

inimalist
it really depends on how you define a species

I'm not sure we are so genetically different from earlier humans that we couldn't sexually reproduce with them, a hallmark of speciation.

Modification of the genetic code is possible, but some bacteria can accomplish this to a small degree and it doesn't pose a huge issue to taxonomy.

Regardless, humans are still evolving, and there is no such thing as devolution.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

This is only the beginning of the end.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

We could change, evolve, or even move away from this planet. We cold become an inter-galactic empire in some distant future, but there will always be an end. I really don't think we could survive the extinction of heat, in the remote future.

kgkg

Sarah Palin is a man?

Lil Wayne is awesome btw and none of them are signs of devolution people have extreme opinions is not a sign of devolution.

Any of those people had they grown in a different environment things would have change for better or for worse.

FistOfThe North
Oh, but it will.

Everything has an end.

the human being as an evolving species is unbelievably capable of more than you'll ever know.

Also, time doesn't end. lightness and darkness don't end. something infinite and/or eternal doesn't end.

Bardock42
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
the human being as an evolving species is unbelievably capable of more than you'll ever know.

Also, time doesn't end. lightness and darkness don't end. something infinite and/or eternal doesn't end.

You sure say the darndest things.

chomperx9

Also, time doesn't end. lightness and darkness don't end. something infinite and/or eternal doesn't end. on our planet lightness can end if our sun was to colapse.

One Free Man

Also, time doesn't end. lightness and darkness don't end. something infinite and/or eternal doesn't end. light is particles and energy, just like everything else.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by One Free Man
light is particles and energy, just like everything else.

Time and Darkness, however, are not particles or waves or energy and thus will probably last forever.

Wild Shadow
darkness is given meaning by the concept of light and vice versa...

if light ceases to be then their would no longer be darkness.... also we would be long dead to give it any meaning at the end of our universe's life cycle angel geek

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
darkness is given meaning by the concept of light and vice versa...

if light ceases to be then their would no longer be darkness.... also we would be long dead to give it any meaning at the end of our universe's life cycle angel geek

That doesn't make any sense. There was a time in the early universe when there was no light. However, that does not mean there was no darkness. There is no such thing as a darkness partial. Darkness is the absents of light. That means if there is no light, then it is dark.

Symmetric Chaos
That doesn't make any sense. There was a time in the early universe when there was no light. However, that does not mean there was no darkness. There is no such thing as a darkness partial. Darkness is the absents of light. That means if there is no light, then it is dark.

Bingo.

Wild Shadow

ahh... grasshopper.. but, would you know what is darkness if you had never known light? now young monk meditate on the meaning of the question and possibly the answer cool

Shakyamunison
ahh... grasshopper.. but, would you know what is darkness if you had never known light? now young meditate on the meaning of question and possibly the answer cool

That is just silly. Even a blind person can understand that light is radiation, and darkness is the absents of radiation (light).

FistOfThe North
on our planet lightness can end if our sun was to colapse.

true. scratch light. i actually asked myself if light would qualify before i typed it out cause i thought well without light, darkness, as a concept, would not exist. it'd be something else. a void. But since darkness does exist and can be eternal, it's opposite, light, must be eternal, as well. but you're right, lightness can end with that sun phase but it returns anew continuously.

it's still an immortal way, though.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
We could always leave. lmao

Symmetric Chaos

FistOfThe North
The only thing keeping us from putting people on Mars is budget constraints. Going further than that (to literally anywhere in the universe) only takes time.

I also think it's reasonable to assume we'll be at least slightly more advanced in five billion years.

to add to that it's only a matter of time, as well.

lol and slightly? you understimate the potential of the human race. we've advanced more in the past 100 years than anyone else before that has in a thousand+ years.

Wild Shadow
only b/c any advance race/culture we met we decided to sabotage and disrupt their progress we still do it now. we also pay for highly intelligent people from various countries to join other groups with intelligent people

Symmetric Chaos
lol and slightly? you understimate the potential of the human race. we've advanced more in the past 100 years than anyone else before that has in a thousand+ years.

Sarcasm.

kgkg
Diminishing returns will most likely stop this rapid expansion that is occurring in all sectors. Technological advances can only do so much.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WickedDynamite

If you are Orion, I wanna be either Skyfather or Darkseid

chomperx9
The only thing keeping us from putting people on Mars is budget constraints. Going further than that (to literally anywhere in the universe) only takes time.

I also think it's reasonable to assume we'll be at least slightly more advanced in five billion years. we wouldnt survive on mars. our body cannot handle the temperature thats on mars

Symmetric Chaos
we wouldnt survive on mars. our body cannot handle the temperature thats on mars

Who cares? You don't have to colonize the planet, a manned trip to another planet would be a very important first step for a species intent on leaving their solar system.

Also: terraforming, genetic engineering, spacesuits, enclosed colonies. All viable ways of surviving there if you really wanted to.

lil bitchiness
Yes. Eventually. Earth destroyed countless species and started over 4 times already. We will eventually go, too.

Ms.Marvel
i think we have a better chance than those guys did though.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Yes. Eventually. Earth destroyed countless species and started over 4 times already. We will eventually go, too.

I can't think of many species able to live in as many different places and climates as humans. Baring another planet destroying asteroid wiping out every human on the planet would be incredibly difficult.

dadudemon
I can't think of many species able to live in as many different places and climates as humans. Baring another planet destroying asteroid, wiping out every human on the planet would be incredibly difficult.

Fixed it for you.

Liberator
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
i think we have a better chance than those guys did though.

A better chance, why yes perhaps. But no civilisation can last forever.

AsbestosFlaygon
Perhaps in the distant future, a new species will emerge, and will wipe out our race.

It is possible.. We've wiped a lot of 'inferior' species.

Perhaps there will come a time when we will be the 'inferior' species.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Fixed it for you. mad

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by inimalist

Regardless, humans are still evolving, and there is no such thing as devolution.
w3qFdbUEq5s
Evidence of devolution

inimalist
Evidence of devolution

cute, but no

Colossus-Big C
Sadly I have watched DVD's at which some scientist pointed out that the way we are currently living, they would be surprised if we didn't begin to die out by 2100.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Sadly I have watched DVD's at which some scientist point out that the way we are currently living, they would be surprised if we didn't begin to die out by 2100.
WARNING!
***Conspiracy Theorist***

Bardock42

I think we are on the verge of outdoing that silly "earth" thing. It's already our ***** halfway.

Colossus-Big C
WARNING!
***Conspiracy Theorist*** Your calling me a conspiracy theorist when i never said i believed this. This statement was backed by evidence proved in the video and is "Possible of happening"

Shakyamunison
Sadly I have watched DVD's at which some scientist pointed out that the way we are currently living, they would be surprised if we didn't begin to die out by 2100.

If that was the TV show Earth 2100, I saw the same show, and there wasn't much science in it.

Colossus-Big C
If that was the TV show Earth 2100, I saw the same show, and there wasn't much science in it. yea it was. but even tho they didnt fully explained the science, they spent a ton of money do research on this stuff for years, they didnt plan this in a couple of months.

inimalist
yea it was. but even tho they didnt fully explained the science, they spent a ton of money do research on this stuff for years, they didnt plan this in a couple of months.

stuff you see on TV rarely is scientifically accurate

it is made to, as you note, make money. Sensational claims do this, not rational discussion of potential problems.

Discovery and History networks are notorious for this, and they will milk the sensational aspects of pseudo-science for the fact that people will tune in and advertisers will pay.

chomperx9
Yes. Eventually. Earth destroyed countless species and started over 4 times already. We will eventually go, too. it was mother nature that selected those species to go. not the earth

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by inimalist
stuff you see on TV rarely is scientifically accurate

it is made to, as you note, make money. Sensational claims do this, not rational discussion of potential problems.

Discovery and History networks are notorious for this, and they will milk the sensational aspects of pseudo-science for the fact that people will tune in and advertisers will pay. so why is it that president cabinet members and foreign members from many countries were included?

Bardock42
so why is it that president cabinet members and foreign members from many countries were included?

Stuff in politics even rarerely is scientifically accurate.

inimalist
so why is it that president cabinet members and foreign members from many countries were included?

those individuals rarely have a scientific background or any relevant scientific training.

likely they were included because the interview they gave produced sound bites which could be edited such that the video producer got the end result they wished.

not to mention, even the shows producer says it is not a prediction, but a worst case scenario that is only possible if everything that could possibly go wrong does. It is sensational scare-mongering that clearly is effective at garnering an audience, rather than a sober prediction about what might happen.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100/story?id=7736882&page=1

lil bitchiness
I can't think of many species able to live in as many different places and climates as humans. Baring another planet destroying asteroid wiping out every human on the planet would be incredibly difficult.

Asteroids? Those are irrelevant.
If Earth's living conditions become unbearable - seeing how Earth was an ice ball at one point, it was also a fire ball at another, the Earth itself will wipe us all out.

250 + million years ago, during the Permian-Triassic extinction over 90% of all life on earth was extinct.
Increased volcanism, fluctuation in sea levels and formation of various gasses in the atmosphere have nothing to do with our adaptation techniques.

Ms.Marvel
we have a better chance than the majority of that 90% though.

dadudemon
Increased volcanism, fluctuation in sea levels and formation of various gasses in the atmosphere have nothing to do with our adaptation techniques.

Living in air tight and content ratio regulated environments is technology that is 50+ years old.

When pushed against the wall, we'd easily be able to adapt, on some level, to a slightly different atmosphere.

With gene therepy already being done, just giving out an injection to adpat the body is not that far off...but we still have a decade or two before that's an option.

lil bitchiness
Living in air tight and content ratio regulated environments is technology that is 50+ years old.

When pushed against the wall, we'd easily be able to adapt, on some level, to a slightly different atmosphere.

With gene therepy already being done, just giving out an injection to adpat the body is not that far off...but we still have a decade or two before that's an option.

Oh right! And what injection will save us from sea level fluctuations and over active volcanic activity?
Maybe we can go to Earth's core and just ''extinguish it'' or something

Bardock42
Oh right! And what injection will save us from sea level fluctuations and over active volcanic activity?
Maybe we can go to Earth's core and just ''extinguish it'' or something

If we were in a vs. forum I'd say you severely overrate the earth.

Symmetric Chaos
Asteroids? Those are irrelevant.
If Earth's living conditions become unbearable - seeing how Earth was an ice ball at one point, it was also a fire ball at another, the Earth itself will wipe us all out.

Has zero chance of suddenly turning into a fireball again given that that was caused by it forming in the first place.

As for cold weather Earth better hope that human have never survived near the Poles (they have) or developed jackets (they have) or invented radiators (they have).

Increased volcanism

If only there were some way to travel from point to point thus avoiding areas in which volcanoes might erupt.

fluctuation in sea levels

There are already plans to develop of sort of device that can not only float on water but use it for travel. It would be amazing but, yes I'm sure they won't be developed within the scant thousand years it would take for the entire planet to flood.

formation of various gasses in the atmosphere have nothing to do with our adaptation techniques.

I'm thinking masks. Masks that filter out dangerous gases. Danger masks? Mask de-gassers? Something like that. Anyway, patent pending!

Ms.Marvel
laughing out loud

crylaugh

<3 you guys.

Shakyamunison
I think a Vanishan-New York would be beautiful.

dadudemon

Cause no plants can be grown in artificial lights, no food can be synthesized (from microbes, even), and no life can exist when the polar icecaps are mostly melted, right?

And, you jest, but, an injection could very well save us from pretty much anything you think of. When you can adapt the genome to pretty much anything you want to (from an ultra-tight and hardened dermis with the ability to store oxygen (bounded and released through a metablolic process, mind you) to even survive in a vacuum.)

lil bitchiness
Cause no plants can be grown in artificial lights, no food can be synthesized (from microbes, even), and no life can exist when the polar icecaps are mostly melted, right?

And, you jest, but, an injection could very well save us from pretty much anything you think of. When you can adapt the genome to pretty much anything you want to (from an ultra-tight and hardened dermis with the ability to store oxygen (bounded and released through a metablolic process, mind you) to even survive in a vacuum.)
Has zero chance of suddenly turning into a fireball again given that that was caused by it forming in the first place.

As for cold weather Earth better hope that human have never survived near the Poles (they have) or developed jackets (they have) or invented radiators (they have).

If only there were some way to travel from point to point thus avoiding areas in which volcanoes might erupt.

There are already plans to develop of sort of device that can not only float on water but use it for travel. It would be amazing but, yes I'm sure they won't be developed within the scant thousand years it would take for the entire planet to flood.

I'm thinking masks. Masks that filter out dangerous gases. Danger masks? Mask de-gassers? Something like that. Anyway, patent pending!

As I already addressed, (but you chose to ignore it) Permian-Triassic extinction killed over 90% of life on earth - this was the only known mass extinction of insects not to mention that 250 mill later the effects are still felt today.
Thus, shit that lived in ridiculous conditions then, failed to survive that particular ice age.

On top of that, creatures with complex food chains and complex systems (like us) will and have taken significantly longer to recover any such conditions.

The fact is that we are not independent of Earth (unless you believe God or Aliens put us here) and thus if the Earth wants us gone, we will be.

And why not - Earth extinct species 4 times over and 4 times it stared again with a clean slate.
So now people somehow believe that this cycle will be over because humans are here. Right. I'm sure Earth will be very considerate.

The evidence of our possible extinctions are there, the evidence that we MAY survive are merely speculations based on some arrogant belief that we somehow control the earth, the nature and the universe.
Nothing happens contrary to nature, only contrary to what we know about nature. And we don't know shit.

Wild Shadow
i say we take mother earth with us if she wants to play hardball........ mutual destruction.

Symmetric Chaos
As I already addressed, (but you chose to ignore it) Permian-Triassic extinction killed over 90% of life on earth - this was the only known mass extinction of insects not to mention that 250 mill later the effects are still felt today.
Thus, shit that lived in ridiculous conditions then, failed to survive that particular ice age.

On top of that, creatures with complex food chains and complex systems (like us) will and have taken significantly longer to recover any such conditions.

The fact is that we are not independent of Earth (unless you believe God or Aliens put us here) and thus if the Earth wants us gone, we will be.

And why not - Earth extinct species 4 times over and 4 times it stared again with a clean slate.
So now people somehow believe that this cycle will be over because humans are here. Right. I'm sure Earth will be very considerate.

The evidence of our possible extinctions are there, the evidence that we MAY survive are merely speculations based on some arrogant belief that we somehow control the earth, the nature and the universe.
Nothing happens contrary to nature, only contrary to what we know about nature. And we don't know shit.

Because as we all know humans are exactly like every other species in the world. We certainly don't have any sorts of technology that allow us to effectively adapt within just a few decades (if it needs to be developed) or in just a couple seconds (once we actually have it).

You're seriously overestimating the capacity and desire(wtf?) of the Earth to kill off humanity. The major shifts that caused mass extinction in the past took place on a time scale of hundreds to thousands of years, this isn't The Day After Tomorrow it's reality.

The most realistic threat to us is being suddenly wiped out by a gamma-ray burst. That or something deliberate like war with either ourselves or hostile aliens.

lil bitchiness
Because as we all know humans are exactly like every other species in the world. We certainly don't have any sorts of technology that allow us to effectively adapt within just a few decades (if it needs to be developed) or in just a couple seconds (once we actually have it).

You're seriously overestimating the capacity and desire(wtf?) of the Earth to kill off humanity. The major shifts that caused mass extinction in the past took place on a time scale of hundreds to thousands of years, this isn't The Day After Tomorrow it's reality.

The most realistic threat to us is being suddenly wiped out by a gamma-ray burst. That or something deliberate like war with either ourselves or hostile aliens.

Great, there has been already 250 million years from major extinction event. It's almost time for another one. Or you do believe that this natural cycle which seems to happen periodically on earth just stopped cos we evolved.

I do love your ''we are going to move if catastrophic volcanic activity occurs'' suggestion the best.

Never mind that such will not only devstate anything in its path, spew poisonous gases, it may also cause earthquakes which if are strong enough with epicentre near shore would cause tsunamis, and which (earthquakes, not tsunamis) could again trigger volcanic activity...in which case I'm guessing we'll travel to the moon till this thing blows over (lulz, a pun).

Just look how well Katrina was handeled - how well people got evacuated with state of the art technology telling us the scale and danger of the hurricane which will come. Success. I'm sure it will work so much better on a world scale - especially in poor countries prone to being killed by natural disasters.

Symmetric Chaos
Great, there has been already 250 million years from major extinction event. It's almost time for another one. Or you do believe that this natural cycle which seems to happen periodically on earth just stopped cos we evolved.

Our evolution is irrelevant. What matters is the existence of technology. Even simple things like winter jackets make us infinitely more adaptable than any other organism.

You seem to be pressing the idea that one day we're going to wake up and find an ice age outside (actually that happens were I live, it's called "winter" and we just sorta deal) or a volcano in the backyard (which happened to a guy, he sold his farm to the state and moved).

The only things that can wipe us out as an entire species any more are artificial. Sure, Yellowstone could erupt and wipe out the US but the rest of humanity would simply be troubled by it not destroyed.

Or we could look at your number up there. "250 millions years from major extinction event" that's a long time to wait, another million years would be nothing, another thousand would be inconsequential. Humans aren't immune to being wiped out, I gave the example of a gamma ray burst, but the Earth works on such long time tables that the only things it can wipe out are the ones that need to evolve to survive.

We no longer do that, we haven't bothered in a long time. People that live in cold climates don't have great-great-great-great-grandchildren with thicker pelts they buy different clothes today. When we meet a predator we don't have great-great-great-great-grandchildren that taste bad to it we jam a spear in it's brain and cook it for dinner. When we get sick we don't produce great-great-great-great-grandchildren who are immune we go purchase anti-biotics.

In the hundreds of years the Earth would spend trying to kill us those sorts of instantaneous adaptations will keep forcing it to change its genocidal plans. Unfortunately the Earth isn't actually sentient and trying to murder us, so it won't change its plans.

I do love your ''we are going to move if catastrophic volcanic activity occurs'' suggestion the best.

Never mind that such will not only devstate anything in its path, spew poisonous gases

Good for you I didn't mention that we have gas masks.

OH WAIT I DID! omg

it may also cause earthquakes which if are strong enough with epicentre near shore would cause tsunamis, and which (earthquakes, not tsunamis) could again trigger volcanic activity...in which case I'm guessing we'll travel to the moon till this thing blows over (lulz, a pun).

Only a tiny fraction of humanity lives on shorelines vulnerable to tsunamis. In fact we live all over the place. The Great Earth Mother will have to formulate a plan that renders mainland, shoreline, ocean, submarine and subterranian environments impossible to live in if it wants to wipe out our entire species.

Just look how well Katrina was handeled - how well people got evacuated with state of the art technology telling us the scale and danger of the hurricane which will come. Success. I'm sure it will work so much better on a world scale - especially in poor countries prone to being killed by natural disasters.

I wasn't aware that Katrina took decades to destroy New Orleans, in fact I recall it taking less than a week.

lil bitchiness
Our evolution is irrelevant. What matters is the existence of technology. Even simple things like winter jackets make us infinitely more adaptable than any other organism.

You seem to be pressing the idea that one day we're going to wake up and find an ice age outside (actually that happens were I live, it's called "winter" and we just sorta deal) or a volcano in the backyard (which happened to a guy, he sold his farm to the state and moved).

The only things that can wipe us out as an entire species any more are artificial. Sure, Yellowstone could erupt and wipe out the US but the rest of humanity would simply be troubled by it not destroyed.

Or we could look at your number up there. "250 millions years from major extinction event" that's a long time to wait, another million years would be nothing, another thousand would be inconsequential. Humans aren't immune to being wiped out, I gave the example of a gamma ray burst, but the Earth works on such long time tables that the only things it can wipe out are the ones that need to evolve to survive.

We no longer do that, we haven't bothered in a long time. People that live in cold climates don't have great-great-great-great-grandchildren with thicker pelts they buy different clothes today. When we meet a predator we don't have great-great-great-great-grandchildren that taste bad to it we jam a spear in it's brain and cook it for dinner. When we get sick we don't produce great-great-great-great-grandchildren who are immune we go purchase anti-biotics.

In the hundreds of years the Earth would spend trying to kill us those sorts of instantaneous adaptations will keep forcing it to change its genocidal plans. Unfortunately the Earth isn't actually sentient and trying to murder us, so it won't change its plans.

Good for you I didn't mention that we have gas masks.

OH WAIT I DID! omg

Only a tiny fraction of humanity lives on shorelines vulnerable to tsunamis. In fact we live all over the place. The Great Earth Mother will have to formulate a plan that renders mainland, shoreline, ocean, submarine and subterranian environments impossible to live in if it wants to wipe out our entire species.

I wasn't aware that Katrina took decades to destroy New Orleans, in fact I recall it taking less than a week.

Wait, you're actually telling me you're going to wear masks at the times of overactive volcanic activity which will not only spew poisonous gasses, it will release carbon dioxide or sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere which will cause global warming (carbon dioxide) or an ice age (sulphur dioxide).

The very deffinition of EXTINCTION EVENT is a sharp decrease of spiecies in very short period of time. Then, the exact point of EXTINCTION would be when the last of the spiecies dies.

But I get it now. You're actually confused about the extinctions, ice ages and all around terminology.
That makes sense now.

dadudemon

I guess you weren't aware that we are in the most aggressive extinction event, right now...

And, depending on how you classify "mass extinction (ELE is better...cause it's shorter)" we could be anywhere from 20+ to 5 prior extinction events: not 4.

Also, the gaps in ELEs seem to be getting farther apart.

Also, is it REALLY that hard to imagine humans using masks and breathing apparatuses?

I mean, come on, lots and lots and lots of humans would survive if the atmosphere chemistry changed so much as to make it unbreathable. Is it really hard to imagine homes, buildings, cars, etc. having to be made air-tight?

Worst case scenario: it changes so fast that very few humans have time to react...and then those crazy loons that have nuclear bunkers 60-100 feet underground with a year supply of food will be our "new" Adams and Eves. On top of that, there are several military facilities much farther undergound that are adapted to run the military from nuclear-safe conditions. Air-tight, mind you. Though, information on these places is minimal, it's hardly a stretch to assume the top 25 nations also don't have similar things.

And, yes, we have all the technology, now (we have had it for decades, actually), to make colonies on the moon. We just don't have the urgency, need, or want to live on the moon.

It's highly likely that we will develop (actual tools, not ideas, like we have now, but actual physical tools) the means to mitigate a large asteroid impact, long before we reach a full fledged class 1 level. In fact, some "tools" already exist, but I'm not sure how effective they would be. That would kind of put us ahead of some abitrary curve. lol

Also, we have successfully printed "cells" with those biological 3D printers. We are working on printing organs....which is just awesome.

We are also growing meat in petri dishes.

Both of those items, coupled with gene therapy, are going to make it almost impossible for the humans to become extinct with any of the previous factors that caused the ELE's.

Here's all the items that caused the ELEs:

1. Atmosphere change: Check. That's probably one of the easiest things to adapt to, as humans.

2. Global Warming: ha. As if warming up the earth and increasing the ability of the Earth to sustain life is something we need to worry about.

3. Global Cooling. ha. Our species matured in an ice-age.

4. Volcanic activity: see numbers 1 and 2.

5. K-T event: lulz. That would probably do the most damage, short term, but see #1 and #3. Hardly something we couldn't adapt to. Sure, there'd probably be hundreds of millions..and maybe over a billion, that lost their lives. However, even the newly proposed 300+ mile asteroid is not enough.

I considered anoxia, but that seems almost completely unapplicable.

Ms.Marvel
Wait, you're actually telling me you're going to wear masks at the times of overactive volcanic activity which will not only spew poisonous gasses, it will release carbon dioxide or sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere which will cause global warming (carbon dioxide) or an ice age (sulphur dioxide).

The very deffinition of EXTINCTION EVENT is a sharp decrease of spiecies in very short period of time. Then, the exact point of EXTINCTION would be when the last of the spiecies dies.

But I get it now. You're actually confused about the extinctions, ice ages and all around terminology.
That makes sense now.

wow, youre really trying your best to ignore logic arent you? erm also not funny ad hominem is not funny.

lil bitchiness
I guess you weren't aware that we are in the most aggressive extinction event, right now...

And, depending on how you classify "mass extinction (ELE is better...cause it's shorter)" we could be anywhere from 20+ to 5 prior extinction events: not 4.

Also, the gaps in ELEs seem to be getting farther apart.

Also, is it REALLY that hard to imagine humans using masks and breathing apparatuses?

I mean, come on, lots and lots and lots of humans would survive if the atmosphere chemistry changed so much as to make it unbreathable. Is it really hard to imagine homes, buildings, cars, etc. having to be made air-tight?

Worst case scenario: it changes so fast that very few humans have time to react...and then those crazy loons that have nuclear bunkers 60-100 feet underground with a year supply of food will be our "new" Adams and Eves. On top of that, there are several military facilities much farther undergound that are adapted to run the military from nuclear-safe conditions. Air-tight, mind you. Though, information on these places is minimal, it's hardly a stretch to assume the top 25 nations also don't have similar things.

And, yes, we have all the technology, now (we have had it for decades, actually), to make colonies on the moon. We just don't have the urgency, need, or want to live on the moon.

It's highly likely that we will develop (actual tools, not ideas, like we have now, but actual physical tools) the means to mitigate a large asteroid impact, long before we reach a full fledged class 1 level. In fact, some "tools" already exist, but I'm not sure how effective they would be. That would kind of put us ahead of some abitrary curve. lol

Also, we have successfully printed "cells" with those biological 3D printers. We are working on printing organs....which is just awesome.

We are also growing meat in petri dishes.

Both of those items, coupled with gene therapy, are going to make it almost impossible for the humans to become extinct with any of the previous factors that caused the ELE's.

Here's all the items that caused the ELEs:

1. Atmosphere change: Check. That's probably one of the easiest things to adapt to, as humans.

2. Global Warming: ha. As if warming up the earth and increasing the ability of the Earth to sustain life is something we need to worry about.

3. Global Cooling. ha. Our species matured in an ice-age.

4. Volcanic activity: see numbers 1 and 2.

5. K-T event: lulz. That would probably do the most damage, short term, but see #1 and #3. Hardly something we couldn't adapt to. Sure, there'd probably be hundreds of millions..and maybe over a billion, that lost their lives. However, even the newly proposed 300+ mile asteroid is not enough.

I considered anoxia, but that seems almost completely unapplicable.

Again, yes it is hard to imagine breathing apparatuses supplied for whole of surviving population, it is hard to imagine cultivating plants and sustaining animals to feed significant populations in the world, it is hard to imagine getting hold of drinking water to sustain that population, to grow plants and animals, even in great facilities.

And what about medicines, diseases and all other nasty ass things? I cannot see that being easily accessible or to everyone.

That is if we imagine that places with facilities are absolutely unaffected by any kind of global disaster, and that they are available to function.

The wave of disasters would trigger other crap to happen which will trigger other things . Would more people die if Haiti earthquake, the tsunami, Katrina and flood in China happened in short space of time? The answer is probably yes.

Also, as scientists already indicated, better chance for surviving the extinction event have those systems that are simple (or simpler) than ourselves. They will also be quicker to recover.

If any such disasters occurred those that survived would be in very small numbers, disbursed around the world. The extinction event would have happened.
If we would not manage to repopulate (for whatever reasons) the time when the last human dies, would be an extinction point.

Is it possible? Yes, I believe so. And I also don't see why this cycle which seems to happen periodically (ice age, extinction), would not happen again at some point in human existence.

dadudemon
Again, yes it is hard to imagine breathing apparatuses supplied for whole of surviving population, it is hard to imagine cultivating plants and sustaining animals to feed significant populations in the world, it is hard to imagine getting hold of drinking water to sustain that population, to grow plants and animals, even in great facilities.

It's rather simple: it won't happen for the whole of humanity.

But how does that make humans "extinct"?

And what about medicines, diseases and all other nasty ass things? I cannot see that being easily accessible or to everyone.

But how does that make humans "extinct"?

That is if we imagine that places with facilities are absolutely unaffected by any kind of global disaster, and that they are available to function.

There's plenty currently functioning and in use.

That also doesn't change the fact that tons upon tons of facilities could be built in a rather short period of time. You do know we have..what...hundreds of thousands of years to "muscle" out of an catastrophic event before we die, right?

The wave of disasters would trigger other crap to happen which will trigger other things . Would more people die if Haiti earthquake, the tsunami, Katrina and flood in China happened in short space of time? The answer is probably yes.

Be more specific about these cascading triggers you allude to. But, again, "But how does that make humans "extinct"?"

Also, as scientists already indicated, better chance for surviving the extinction event have those systems that are simple (or simpler) than ourselves. They will also be quicker to recover.

Sources? Cause it's hard to say that humans would become extinct or be slower to adapt when we are the species that embodies the idea of swift adaptation more than any other species on the planet. We are the first species to do "agriculture", as well. We are the first to adapt whole environments just to suite (I thought of correcting this spelling error, but it's a semi-humorous pun) ourselves. Yet, I'm supposed to believe that some creatures will adapt faster to an ELE faster than we do? That's actually impossible.

If any such disasters occurred those that survived would be in very small numbers, disbursed around the world.

If by hundreds of millions to even billions, you mean small numbers, I disagree with calling it "small numbers."

The extinction event would have happened.
If we would not manage to repopulate (for whatever reasons) the time when the last human dies, would be an extinction point.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up extinction point. Of course humans are extinct when the last human dies. That would definitely be the extinction of humans.

Is it possible? Yes, I believe so. And I also don't see why this cycle which seems to happen periodically (ice age, extinction), would not happen again at some point in human existence.

It HAS happened. A massive ELE is occuring RIGHT NOW. In fact, it is the most agressive ELE that we can see. I said this in my previous post.

If things continue on trend, we will make the Great Dying look like a very boring ELE.

So, in other words, we are in the middle of an ELE...and at that, it is the most agressive one, by far, in all of Earth's biotic history...yet, we are prospering. laughing

Rogue Jedi
We'll either kill each other off or die as the planet become incapable of sustaining life. Or maybe the Butterfinger monster will get us.

Scythe
i say we take mother earth with us if she wants to play hardball........ mutual destruction.

Haha, yes. Explosives in the earth's core that only the last human on earth can trigger.

Wild Shadow
we didnt start this war but we sure as hell will finish it.... she wants to start the war with forest fires, cold snaps winters killing people in their car and whatnot, i say bring it on, cause it is on the minute she started playing dirty with radiation and cancer bombarding us with cosmic radiation... we can play dirty too we got nukes she nukes us we nuke her.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.