New Earthquake in Haiti

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WhiskeyGirl
News story

Can they get a break?

Shakyamunison
It seems the Earth is not done.

WickedDynamite
Earthquake or aftershock.

WhiskeyGirl
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Earthquake or aftershock.

This is a quote from the story

The magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest of more than 40 significant aftershocks that have followed the Jan. 12 quake

WickedDynamite
Not to be picky (sorry if I seem persistant) but I don't think that qualifies as a New Earthquake.

However, I do agree that it is a horrific tragedy and people of Haiti will need our help.

Donate out of the kindess of your hearts.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by WhiskeyGirl
Can they get a break?

lol

Colossus-Big C
another one? WOW!!

Darth Jello
It's an aftershock and they're expecting another one equally powerful in the next few days.

jaden101
Good stuff...This is what we like to see. Misery and death being inflicted upon the miserable and dead.

Bit pointless really.

Scythe
Sucks to hear, damn.

Sabu935
I'm glad I don't live there,it sucks to be them.

jinXed by JaNx
Someone needs to shut down HAARP. I really don't why Merica keeps sending Earthquakes over there.

Colossus-Big C
can it be possible that haiti was formed by an underground volcano? and its getting ready to erupt because lava is forcing way to the surface causing massive shakes?

(i dont know to much about stuff like that)

jaden101
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
can it be possible that haiti was formed by an underground volcano? and its getting ready to erupt because lava is forcing way to the surface causing massive shakes?

(i dont know to much about stuff like that)

Haiti (along with all the other Caribbean islands) was formed by volcanoes and it lies on a geological fault line (which caused the quakes) and these are where volcanoes form.

So while it's possible, it's not as likely as just the plates slipping (although this can cause a new volcano to begin to form but there's so far no evidence that is happening)

WickedDynamite
After having 2 large earthquakes....I'm actually curious why a tsunami hasn't made an apperance...

(Not that I'm wishing such a horrible thing to happen...but just curious)

Shakyamunison
After having 2 large earthquakes....I'm actually curious why a tsunami hasn't made an apperance...

The Earth quakes happen under land.

WickedDynamite
Not that I'm trying to discuss like a geologist (I'm not qualified) but Japan also experiences land shakes and occasionally tsunamis occur. Same with polynisean (sp?) islands...

Shakyamunison
Not that I'm trying to discuss like a geologist (I'm not qualified) but Japan also experiences land shakes and occasionally tsunamis occur. Same with polynisean (sp?) islands...

It all depends on what happens on the surface. The Earth quake must cause a subsidence/uplift on the sea floor before a tsunami can be generated.

jaden101

It's to do with the type of fault line. If the plates move past each other sideways like the lines below then they rarely cause tsunamis.

<-----------------------
------------------------>

If it is a subduction zone plate when one slides underneath the other then this causes what is known as "megathrust" quakes.

What happens is the plate that is on top is pushed gradually upwards and occasionally "slips" back over the top of the lower plate. This displaces massive volumes water and causes tsunamis.

WickedDynamite
Awesome and thanks for the info jaden.

Here in California we're adapted to quakes and what strikes me the most is that there are always alerts of tsunamis in the coastal area. To my memory there hasn't been any recorded. I think the warnings are just for safe precaution and a possible rare occasion of one happening.

Now, Hawaii in the other hand....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.