Another reason why I wish for NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, in 1 minute

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100122/wl_time/08599195464300

This world is retarded

Symmetric Chaos
Reminds me of an episode of Better Off Ted where the company's software update causes the whole system to ignore black people,

Also, Nokia and HP clearly have idiots for product testers.

Ms.Marvel
crylaugh

thats priceless

Shakyamunison
I got one of these coolpix cameras for X-mas. It is supposed to find faces, but it finds everything else except faces. Other then that, it's a great camera.

AsbestosFlaygon
Can it find your wang?

Bardock42
Saw that about a month ago on youtube

t4DT3tQqgRM

I wonder whether they knew that the feature is lacking or if they just plain didn't test for that.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Can it find your wang?

I'll have to give it a try and report back. laughing out loud

jaden101
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Can it find your wang?

"Wang" is a Chinese name...So probably not, no.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
I wonder whether they knew that the feature is lacking or if they just plain didn't test for that.

It's the latter.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
It's the latter.

You sure? It seems such an obvious thing to test for. I mean, if I engineered that and started testing after like two or three real, caucasian people I'd be like "Neat, I wonder if it works on them others, too". And then I'd pay a black person to stand in front of that, cause I don't have any black friends or co-workers.

jaden101
You sure? It seems such an obvious thing to test for. I mean, if I engineered that and started testing after like two or three real, caucasian people I'd be like "Neat, I wonder if it works on them others, too". And then I'd pay a black person to stand in front of that, cause I don't have any black friends or co-workers.

You wouldn't pay a black person.

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
You wouldn't pay a black person.

Look, man, we tried to fight the good fight, you stopped us. Now there's ****ing laws in place.

jaden101
Look, man, we tried to fight the good fight, you stopped us. Now there's ****ing laws in place.

So now you build cars that are sturdy for us to hit black people's cheap, unsafe cars with and kill them.

I like it.

dadudemon

I'm positive. The idea that it may not work on a black person would not cross most people's minds as the software is picking up on shadows on the face, not the skin tone. There'd be no logical reason to check to see if it works on dark-skinned people, based on the nature of the program....as black people would have shadows, as well. The problem is due to the lack of contrast between the shadows and the surrounding skin, which is what the HP engineers overlooked.

I assume that the program algorithm just looks for a contrast differential based on specific shapes (common to the face). So, it will look for the cresecent shaped shadow under the eyebrow, and run a contrast comparison against the surrounding skin (say, it looks for a 80+ point difference (on a 255 point scale)).

It's also possible that the testing lab for this software had different lighting than they could account for, so they really did test it with darker skinned people. In that factory video, the camera is oddly adjusting light sensitivity, making the black dude look really dark. That could be part of the problem: maybe the algorithm works just fine...they just need to adjust the light sensitivity and how it adjusts?

Darth Jello
I thought this was old news. Current face recognition software is 30% successful. It's so shitty that a security test mistook Winona Ryder for Osama Bin Laden.

jaden101
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I thought this was old news. Current face recognition software is 30% successful. It's so shitty that a security test mistook Winona Ryder for Osama Bin Laden.

Never seen the two of them in the same room at the same time have you?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
crylaugh

thats priceless laughing out loud Classic

Wild Shadow
the camera is racist!! i wonder if it did that with other races like hispanic or middle eastern?

The Butcher
People are so stupid.

ATX/UT ND Money
I'd sue em' if I was asian.... smile

WickedDynamite
Gotta get me one of those...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.