Favourite Writer (Remastered)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kris Blaze
Okay, so essentially this thread is about your favourite writers coupled with certain characters. You will mention a character, possibly your favourite and which writer does the greatest job depicting him or her. Naturally you can do writer/artist combos as well. Sometimes the art is just a big a part of giving you that comic feeling (not really though..). An explanation as to why you feel that these writers and artists does the very best job. Of course, it does not have to be your favourite characters. I'll kick things off with my very favourite character:

Maximus The Mad - David Hine: Nobody brings out his madness better than this guy. We get to see two sides of Maximus, not just the crazy one but a real glimpse into his genius. He's not just some raving lunatic acting on his own whims, but plans years and years ahead.

Alpha Centauri
Daredevil as written by Frank Miller.

If you have to ask, then you'll never know why.

-AC

willRules
Mark Millar= Captain America

Ultimate or otherwise, he's reinvigorated Cap just as much as Brubaker has done, yet hasn't even written half the issues Brubaker has. I love Brubaker's run. It's quite possibly the greatest run on Cap, ever.

Millar brought the badass Cap in Civil War. He made me believe that it is possible for Cap to be cool and not hokey. And Ultimates was just 10 out of 10.

Philosophía
Grant Morrison - Batman/Superman/Joker.
Judd Winnick - Jason Todd.
John Ostrander - The Spectre.

Alpha Centauri
I also wanna highlight a few others.

Deadpool as written by Joe Kelly/Gail Simone. Not so much Kelly anymore, but when he first wrote Deadpool. Joe Kelly returned to writing Deadpool for a short story and in The Amazing Spider-Man #612 (I think), and he's lost it.

The Hulk as written by Peter David/Bruce Jones.

Thor as written by J.M.S./Walt Simonson.

X-Factor as written by Louise Simonson.

-AC

ExodusCloak
Grant Morrisons Emma Frost, for actually breathing life back into the X-verse.

Martian_mind
John Ostrander= Martian Manhunter.
Gail Simone= Wonder Woman/ Ragdoll/ Catman, hell, anything she touches is gold.
Judd Winick= The definitive Jason Todd writer. He even shits on Morrison when handling Jason.
Kieth Giffen= His Metal men rock.

-Pr-
Writing:

Cyclops - Louise Simonsen

Pretty much made the character what he is today and defined a lot of the concepts that really made me love the character.

Superman - Mark Verheiden

After almost fifteen years of not reading Superman, this guy singlehandedly got me back in to it. Made Superman relatable and actually interesting to me.

Daredevil - Frank Miller

As AC said, if you have to ask why, just don't.

Flash - Geoff Johns

Wrote my absolute favourite comic book story ever.

Birds of Prey - Gail Simone

She wrote women that were strong and were still women at the same time. She understood that women could be strong without having to put men down, which is an amazing thing to do in a comic book imo.

Colossus - Whilce Portacio/John Byrne (Collaborators)

Just did for the character something that had been lacking. Gave him depth that hadn't really existed beforehand.

Red Tornado - Peter David

Young Justice. Reddy shows a very Data-like search for acceptance and understanding among humanity.

Art:

Cyclops - Mike Choi
Superman - Ed Benes
Daredevil - Steve McNiven
Flash - Howard Porter
Birds of Prey - Ed Benes
Colossus - Whilce Portacio
Red Tornado - Ed Benes

JakeTheBank
Thor - You really can't beat Walt Simonson. His stories are among the most memorable and epic Thor tales in the history of the character. He took Thor to heights that have been hard to reach ever since.

Hal Jordan - Geoff Johns writes a great GL (in addition to God knows what else he has his fingers on at the moment). Rebirth was awesome and the Green Lantern title has been awesome from issue #1 to current.

Captain Marvel(DC) - Alex Ross (with Mark Waid) writes Captain Marvel in a way that few people do. He's always shown or mentioned to be a peer to DC's iconic Superman in terms of strength and power, but very rarely is he written to that level in the sense of character. The two of them are able to effectively write what is the childhood dream of must of us here: a kid able to magically transform into a super powered adult.

Batman - Paul Dini. Yeah, this guy does some of the best Batman related work, period.

Iron Man - Matt Fraction writes Tony the way he should have always been, imo. Invincible Iron Man winning the Eisner Award was a good choice.

Wonder Woman - Gail Simone, like PR mentioned above, is able to write strong women characters that aren't over-the-top feminists or sex objects. I've always liked Wonder Woman, and Simone's current run is golden.

Power Girl - The collective team of Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Amanda Conner are able to likewise write PG as a fun, upbeat character, who's as smart as she is strong...and developed.

Kazenji
Ghost Rider - Jason Aaron

Punisher - Garth Ennis.......but slowy Aaron is doing a lil bit better

Jim Lee - Fantastic Four

Predator - Mark Verheiden

WickedDynamite
Going to make my list short this time.

Batman (Paul Dini)

Catwoman (Paul Dini)

Suicide Squad (John Ostrander)

Superman (John Byrne)

Jonah Hex (Jimmy Palmiotti)

Green Lantern and JSA (Geoff Johns)

Flash (Mark Waid)

tjcoady
Grant Morrison and anyone. He has an extraordinary ability to distill the core of a character.

Johns has a similar trait, when it comes to characters he actually likes, to write a single sentence that perfectly understands a character: Wonder Woman is someone who loves Earth and its people more than anyone else; Batman is fundamentally someone who wants to make sure no one gets hurt.

Cartesian Doubt
Warren Ellis; Elijah Snow, The Drummer, Jenny Sparks, Henri Bendix and ... Spider Jerusalem(Quintessential one of the greatest comic book characters of all time).

Grant Morisson; Emma Frost, Beast, Superman, Batman, Max Mercury and ... Aquaman (God he was such a badass during that run ... I love the bit when he warned Orion to never cross his path again or else !!! ... and u actually believed he would make the god regret it).

tjcoady
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Warren Ellis; Elijah Snow, The Drummer, Jenny Sparks, Henri Bendix and ... Spider Jerusalem(Quintessential one of the greatest comic book characters of all time).

Grant Morisson; Emma Frost, Beast, Superman, Batman, Max Mercury and ... Aquaman (God he was such a badass during that run ... I love the bit when he warned Orion to never cross his path again or else !!! ... and u actually believed he would make the god regret it).

man I wish I hadn't read Transmetro three times now... just so I could read it again like it was new.

Battlehammer
Ford Gilmore Thunder cats.

Battlehammer
Jonathan Hickman for bring back Dum dum Dugan and is current potrail of how bad ass and resourceful Fury really is.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by tjcoady
man I wish I hadn't read Transmetro three times now... just so I could read it again like it was new.

Unfortunately lack of funds has meant I've only got up to book five.

Spider is so funny, and on many occasions so right. There are times when I identify with him so much, I wonder If me and Warren are related. His observations about Politics, Capitalism and the media, are so spot on, it makes u want to walk into the house of commons with a Bowel disruptor; and blast away. And some of the lines ???? ; "I want to kill everyone in this room .... even the children .... especially the children !!!!!!!!", pure Gold. And the Smiler has got to be one of the best bad guys in contemporary fiction , mainly because he's so real. He personifies everything WRONG with our consumer driven, "will to power" society; lieing cheating, credulous, money grabbing, back stabbing, ruthless c#nt, who will prostitute his own children to get ahead of the game. Best of all, he's basically untouchable/invulnerable to anything Spider digs up.
Also the way Ellis depicts the future, is so cool. Its like the Wire meets Minority Report. Its not as dark and Gothic as Blade Runner, but its not the Utopia's depicted in A.I. minority report etc.
Mann I wish I has some money sad

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Battlehammer
Jonathan Hickman for bring back Dum dum Dugan and is current potrail of how bad ass and resourceful Fury really is.

Did he ever finish Red Mass for Mars ? I really enejoyed the first two books of that series !!!!

roughrider
Originally posted by Battlehammer

And his Fantastic Four work is terrific.

Flameback
Gail Simone - The Secret Six
Jimmy Palmiotti - Jonah Hex
Frank Miller/Grant Morrison - Batman
Keith Giffen/Alan Grant- Lobo
Steve Gerber - Howard the Duck
Mark Millar - Ultimates
And many more...

abhilegend
Grant Morrison: Superman. The only writer who I trusts with anything in comics but he REALLY gets superman. From JLA, All Star Superman to Action Comics he revitalized superman as a paragon of strength, morality and leadership when the modern writers tried too hard to humanize him and often got what makes superman a hero wrong.

Peter David: Hulk. God I love his hulk. The quintessential hulk writer.

John Ostrander: Martian Manhunter and Spectre.

Mike Carey: Lucifer

Alan Moore: Too many stories to name.

krisblaze
This was a brilliant thread.

I agree with Abhi on most of his characters, though only Lucifer and Superman are favourites of mine.

Matt Fraction really made me love Iron Fist. I had only been mildly interested in the character up until I read his run on Immortal Iron Fist. I liked the whole Iron Fist legacy concept, and a lot of the stuff reminded me of JMS' totem arc on Spidey. Another arc which has a fresh take on a familiar character, and portrays them as human and vulnerable.

Endless Mike
I like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

krisblaze
^Indeed.

I also realize that I liked Ed Brubaker's Iron Fist, and that Fraction's contributions to the Immortal Iron Fist comic was greatly exaggerated...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.