Haggis legalized in the US again

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/24/america-haggis-ban-lifted-burns

Just in time for Burns Night (today), the US has legalized Haggis again after the 1989 ban so all of you people with disgusting taste in food can enjoy your haggis with your scotch and neeps and tatties and artery clogging scotch eggs. whoopie!

Bardock42
What's wrong with Scotch Eggs.

And may I ask what food you like?

Darth Jello
I guess I should have clarified, the importation of Haggis is legal again.

Personally in regards to Scotch eggs, I don't eat pork and I don't like most greasy, high cholesterol foods. They give me heartburn and diarrhea.

Mostly with the exception of tongue and on rare occasions some heart, I cannot stomach offal. Other than one dish I actually like, the smell of liver and entrails not to mention the texture literally makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe repulsive would be a better choice of words than disgusting because the food is repellant. It repells me so I haven't tasted it and can't say if it's disgusting or not. Except neeps and tatties. Those by themselves are pretty good.

jaden101
If it's any consolation. Most Scots below the of 50 only have haggis once a year (today) anyway. I personally don't like it unless it's good quality from my local butcher.

Autokrat
I actually had to google Haggis to figure out what it was.

No offense but it sounds sort of gross.

Darth Jello
http://www.culinaryschools.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Haggis2.jpg

Bardock42
Do they eat the stomach or is that just for cooking?

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Bardock42
Do they eat the stomach or is that just for cooking? Traditionally it's actually the intestines, not the stomach. The cheap ones use synthetic casings. I think it's just for cooking like a lot of sausage and/or savory pudding casings.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Traditionally it's actually the intestines, not the stomach. The cheap ones use synthetic casings. I think it's just for cooking like a lot of sausage and/or savory pudding casings. That's actually what I though, but wikipedia made me say stomach. EVIL WIKIPEDIA:

Darth Jello
Stomach or intestines is really a matter of taste, skilled preparation, and the actual amount of stuffing as far as I know. I know that traditionally it was intestine but the stomach has become more popular in modern times, probably because it's easier to clean.

Autokrat
http://www.culinaryschools.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Haggis2.jpg

It looks like some kind of EVIL watermelon that's been corrupted by the dark side. Sporting growths on the side, and a systematic decay of the insides into ground... meat?

WickedDynamite
What's the big deal? They been selling deep fried pig intestines/guts/brains tacos in Southern California for years (Tripas) and they're good!

http://www.rumbameats.com/content/recipes/5/image59112.png

Darth Jello
Isn't tripas marrow? Brain is just horrible for you healthwise.

Autokrat
I'm just not fond of meat in general. I'm not a vegetarian, but I hardly ever eat meat.

Symmetric Chaos
Time to lead the charge against Haggis. Why isn't Obama giving this more attention?

Bardock42

How so?

I like marrow dumplings.

Robtard
How so?

I like marrow dumplings.

Kuru, Bardock, Kuru!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
Kuru, Bardock, Kuru!

I happen to be invincible.

Symmetric Chaos
Kuru, Bardock, Kuru!

I'm pretty sure you get that from eat human brains.

Robtard
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I'm pretty sure you get that from eat human brains.

I know, was just making a joke, as I am unaware how eating animal brains is bad for you, pretty sure the brain ranks very high in nutritional value.

WickedDynamite

I think is a combination...but I dunno....I do know they're delicious when you add hot salsa.

I'm gonna ask the local taco guy to tell me more....brb....

Darth Jello
Brain is INSANELY high in fat and cholesterol. I mean like, half a month's worth of cholesterol.

Autokrat
You know, this would be a great moment for a zombie joke.

Symmetric Chaos
Brain is INSANELY high in fat and cholesterol. I mean like, half a month's worth of cholesterol.

If that were true then zombies would all be fat erm

Darth Jello
No, just dying of coronary disease unless they had that Northern Italy gene. Eating fat and cholesterol doesn't necessary make you fat, that's more a calorie and carb thing.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19kcz326vcYP6rLePo1_500.jpg

Bardock42
I think there's confusion about the body's intake of cholesterol here anyways.

Darth Jello
3.5 grams of cholesterol? I'd say there's no confusion about how bad that is.

Bardock42
3.5 grams of cholesterol? I'd say there's no confusion about how bad that is.

Nah, I think the confusion here is that cholesterol intake in no way directly relates to blood cholesterol. I am not expert of course (though obviously neither are you), but as far as I know the body is unable to take in that amount of cholesterol at one time and you will probably just secrete most of it unused. I believe it has to do with cholesterol having to be broken down and being generally synthesized by the body anyways. So really, eating that should be no more harmful than eating two or three eggs, which of course can be harmful if done every three hours for the rest of your life. Perhaps one of our biologist members knows more about that though.

Symmetric Chaos
Correlation is not causation! The lipid hypothesis is only a theory! It's totally possible that shocking your system with cholesterol is the key to immortality!

FREE YOUR MINDS!

However, a controlled diet can reduce blood cholesterol pretty dramatically so diet clearly has an effect. Eating something with 3500mg of cholesterol seems like it would almost certainly give you all the cholesterol your body can handle, definitely not something you want to do if you levels are high already.

Bardock42
Correlation is not causation! The lipid hypothesis is only a theory! It's totally possible that shocking your system with cholesterol is the key to immortality!

FREE YOUR MINDS!

However, a controlled diet can reduce blood cholesterol pretty dramatically so diet clearly has an effect. Eating something with 3500mg of cholesterol seems like it would almost certainly give you all the cholesterol your body can handle, definitely not something you want to do if you levels are high already.
I didn't actually deny that diet has an affect. Mind you "cholesterol" is just a subset of "diet". And I think "well it has the same name" to be a particularly weak argument.

Now, I haven't done studies myself, and did I intend to I'd lack the mental capacities to do so anyways, but I have read online and heard from multiple sources (which could be absolutely wrong) that the connection between cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol is somewhat weak, for two reasons, namely the cholesterol itself has less impact than other dietary intakes in specific saturated fat is usually named and that the body is not able to absorb such huge amounts of cholesterol in one day they usually say it is limited to about one large egg, while the rest is apparently discarded unused, so a one time cholesterol overkill isn't as bad as the number "10 times the suggested amount" would naively imply.

Now again, I am no scientist and the most I have actually dealt with nutrition was one afternoon that I was interested in the topic so that might be all off, but the arguments seemed plausible to me and repeated by multiple publications, while the counterargument still seems to be "dude, it has the same name" so I personally have decided to lean towards believing the former, but I am more than willing to give that notion up should there be a valid argument, best backed up by some form of study.

Symmetric Chaos
I didn't actually deny that diet has an affect. Mind you "cholesterol" is just a subset of "diet". And I think "well it has the same name" to be a particularly weak argument.

Now, I haven't done studies myself, and did I intend to I'd lack the mental capacities to do so anyways, but I have read online and heard from multiple sources (which could be absolutely wrong) that the connection between cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol is somewhat weak, for two reasons, namely the cholesterol itself has less impact than other dietary intakes in specific saturated fat is usually named and that the body is not able to absorb such huge amounts of cholesterol in one day they usually say it is limited to about one large egg, while the rest is apparently discarded unused, so a one time cholesterol overkill isn't as bad as the number "10 times the suggested amount" would naively imply.

Now again, I am no scientist and the most I have actually dealt with nutrition was one afternoon that I was interested in the topic so that might be all off, but the arguments seemed plausible to me and repeated by multiple publications, while the counterargument still seems to be "dude, it has the same name" so I personally have decided to lean towards believing the former, but I am more than willing to give that notion up should there be a valid argument, best backed up by some form of study.

True, I don't know of any specific studies (but dude it does have the same name!). It seems reasonable to think that other things would effect cholesterol levels because the body processes pretty much everything that it takes in. We also do produce a lot of waste products so clearly a we're not using plenty of what we eat.

The AHA has some interesting information, namely you need barely any cholesterol at all because the liver makes it for you. Also: "saturated fatty acids are the main culprit in raising blood cholesterol". They do still say that 300mg/day is the healthy level for cholesterol intake.

In any event 3500mg isn't good for you even if it's not ten times as bad as what you normally eat. (I did find a couple references that said past 500mg the amount absorbed drops to less than 50%)

Darth Jello
Bardock, so those egg council creeps got to you too? (I'm sorry, you just walked into that Simpsons reference)

Anyway, despite my attitude in this thread, I wanted to point out that before I quit pork, I was a fan of liverwurst and head cheese.

Darth Jello
http://www.pulseorganics.com/images/IMG_0857.jpg

lil bitchiness
Oh noes! With all this healthy food eaten up to now, this will definitively increase obesity in US and kill over 10 billion people in US alone.
Why isn't Obama protecting citizens against this? Personally, this calls for his impeachment. Unless Republicans allowed it in which case everyone can go about their business - until Republican is re-elected then impeach him too...for allowing haggis to be sold. Oh noes!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Oh noes! With all this healthy food eaten up to now, this will definitively increase obesity in US and kill over 10 billion people in US alone.
Why isn't Obama protecting citizens against this? Personally, this calls for his impeachment. Unless Republicans allowed it in which case everyone can go about their business - until Republican is re-elected then impeach him too...for allowing haggis to be sold. Oh noes!

Um, there is on;y 300 million people in the US. big grin

Darth Jello
Why isn't Obama protecting citizens against this? Personally, this calls for his impeachment. Unless Republicans allowed it in which case everyone can go about their business - until Republican is re-elected then impeach him too...for allowing haggis to be sold. Oh noes! It was originally banned cause of the BSE scare but now I guess they realized that eating entrails stuffed with assorted filth isn't so risky. Now if every grocery store had a licensed fugu chef, that would be just awesome.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

And there's only 6 billion people on the planet hmm

Darth Jello
No one's gonna comment on vegetarian haggis? Based on the ingredients it just sounds like stuffing minus the bread crumbs.

Shakyamunison

Maybe she means in the future? Also, vegetarian haggis is just wrong. It is like vegetarian lard, if such a thing existed.

Darth Jello
What, you don't drink Crisco as a refreshing sports drink?

Bardock42

It will also kill potential people.

Darth Jello
I don't know where Lil Bitchiness' outburst came from. I guess some people have very strong feelings about "pluck".

dadudemon

Almost 7 billion. We are at like 6.8

Darth Jello
What does this have to do with eating entrails?

Darth Jello
We still haven't gotten an answer about tripas. I thought it was mostly marrow and udders and tripe and stomach and stuff. You know, a guilt free way to chow down on a cow's ****.

Bardock42
You seem to have really strong opinions on certain foods, what gives?

Darth Jello
fun?

dadudemon
What does this have to do with eating entrails?

Two words:

Mussolini
Fascism

PWNED!

laughing

Darth Jello
Originally posted by dadudemon
Two words:

Mussolini
Fascism

PWNED!

laughing You need to eat some tacos with cow breasteses as filling.

lil bitchiness
I don't know where Lil Bitchiness' outburst came from. I guess some people have very strong feelings about "pluck".

No, I have very strong feelings about whining at unimportant ridiculous things that have nothing to do with anything, especially if the person who is whining about that particular activity/food/video game someone who doesn't eat/use or participate in that particular activity/food/video game.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

No shit?! That's news to me. I was sure there were like 17836587234.1 billion people on this planet and like 10 of those lived in the USA.

Robtard
No, I have very strong feelings about whining at unimportant ridiculous things that have nothing to do with anything, especially if the person who is whining about that particular activity/food/video game someone who doesn't eat/use or participate in that particular activity/food/video game.

Sex, is nice?

Shakyamunison
No shit?! That's news to me. I was sure there were like 17836587234.1 billion people on this planet and like 10 of those lived in the USA.

You must be from the future.

lil bitchiness
Sex, is nice?

Bah, depends.

Darth Jello
Settle down there, this was supposed to be a fun thread based on a light news item and there wasn't any whining. Coming from someone who once authored a thread about chasing a chipmunk out of her house this is a really weird reaction.

Robtard
Bah, depends.

Involves all orifices and some light choking.

lil bitchiness
Settle down there, this was supposed to be a fun thread based on a light news item and there wasn't any whining. Coming from someone who once authored a thread about chasing a chipmunk out of her house this is a really weird reaction.

Oh no! You really showed it to me, didn't you. I may never recover.

Whining and preaching is your idea of ''fun''. I dread to think the levels of fun in your life.

lil bitchiness
Involves all orifices and some light choking.

Technicalities, it depends on the other person - and the levels of nasty/yucky.

Darth Jello
First Ush, then you? Mods sometimes. Never around when you need them and then suddenly show up and act like quasi-parental jerks for no apparent reason. I thought weed was legal in Canada, you could use some.

jaden101
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/1/19/1263942659123/SarcMark-002.jpg

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/1/19/1263942659123/SarcMark-002.jpg

This symbol intrigues me, what does it mean!?

jaden101
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/20/rise-of-the-sarcmark

Robtard
**** me, why didn't I think of that and then have copy-written it, brilliant.

jaden101
**** me, why didn't I think of that and then have copy-written it, brilliant.

Need a sarcmark for that sentence?

Darth Jello
I like how it's kind of shaped like an ass hole. Very appropriate.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Need a sarcmark for that sentence?

Na, it should be clearly evident it was just that.

WickedDynamite
http://www.pulseorganics.com/images/IMG_0857.jpg

Vegan is sooooo ghey!

Robtard
How so?

dadudemon
Bah, depends.

Ahhhhh, the diaper fetish.

Bardock42
Ah, I remember the time when you couldn't get an exclamation mark anywhere. Best 5 dollars I ever spent! The price of the sarcmark is definitely worth ithttp://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Bardock42/sarcmarc.jpg Will you guys get it?

LanceWindu
The sarcmark is way too ugly.

Symmetric Chaos
Ah, I remember the time when you couldn't get an exclamation mark anywhere. Best 5 dollars I ever spent! The price of the sarcmark is definitely worth ithttp://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Bardock42/sarcmarc.jpg Will you guys get it?

Ah ha! Thanks to that novel bit of punctuation your sarcasm now lacks the veneer of verisimilitude which gives that rhetorical device its normal bite.

Oh dear . . .

dadudemon

I will not get it, sir.

I will leech off of idiots that bought it by posting the same links to their image file, as they are.

jinXed by JaNx
SOUPS ON, LET's EAT!!!!! I guess the next logical question is..,how do you like your tripe?

WickedDynamite
I'd like mine with ketchup.

Bicnarok
Im surprised Haggis was illegal, considering the carp they eat in the USA not to mention fluoride poisoned water

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Im surprised Haggis was illegal, considering the carp they eat in the USA not to mention fluoride poisoned water It wasn't illegal to eat or prepare it, it was illegal to import it because of the BSE outbreak. I agree though, outside of Tamarasalata or however you spell it, carp is disgusting. Fluoridation is only a problem when water is overfluoridated and while that does happen, it's rare and mostly confined to small communities in the south and mountains where there is either improper regulation or where fluoride naturally enters the water supply from local mineral deposits and no additional fluoride should be added. Hell, that's how they discovered the benefits of sodium fluoride-fewer cavities in frontier Colorado Springs.

Then only real danger that comes from eating haggis and tripe and all that is if the guts are improperly washed. That's mostly why they use stomach instead of gut for most preparations these days.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Im surprised Haggis was illegal, considering the carp they eat in the USA not to mention fluoride poisoned water

What're you talking about dode? Fluoride is approved by 12 out 10 Dentists, didn't you know? Also, Aspertame is good in moderation. No one needs brain lining and anti depressants make driving in traffic more tolerable. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.