I am charged with pc484 petty theft.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

One Free Man
I'm not replacing pro legal advice with you guys but:

has anyone else been charged with this?

I have no priors and i allegedly took 3 dollars in candy.

If I plead guilty what should I expect?

If I am found guilty what should I expect?

Ms.Marvel
if you plead guilty id say you should expect a fine of some sort... shoplifting three dollars of candy really shouldnt warrant a very severe sentence especially if its a first offense.

personally i dont see the point in pleading innocent at all unless being found guilty may affect your job.

my advice would be to just take your lumps and be done with it.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by One Free Man

How old are you?

Ms Marvel is right. Just plead guilty and pay your fine. The fine will most likely come from the retailer. Chances are it will be something like $150.00 plus the amount of the stolen goods and you won't be allowed back on that property. If you're underage and you have no priors then it will be your parents responsibility. Either way, you're going to have to pay some type of fine so you may as well just plead guilty. If you do plead guilty everything will be expedited and you should be able to get the charge expunged from your file a lot easier.

dadudemon
You stole candy...at your age?

I'm dead serious when I tell you this: stop being an idiot.

If you're a clepto - get help.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by dadudemon

I'm dead serious when I tell you this: stop being an idiot.

If you're a clepto - get help.

Everyone steals candy. I don't because i'm not a thief but still, it's just candy. How the hell do you get caught stealing candy anyway? It's like the easiest thing to steal? He must have been stealing big bags, they make a lot of noise.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Everyone steals candy. I don't because i'm not a thief but still, it's just candy. How the hell do you get caught stealing candy anyway? It's like the easiest thing to steal? He must have been stealing big bags, they make a lot of noise.

facepalm

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Hopefully you're being sarcastic.

If not, you're an idiot.

dadudemon
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

If not, you're an idiot.

I think he's joking...at least with the "big bags" statement.

Rogue Jedi
3 dollars......WOW.

One Free Man
It was three bars. I know seriously they stop me at the door i'm like oh i'm terribly sorry i'll give it back and then the cops show up and I'm like "****"

shiv
It was three bars.

You'll have plenty to chew on behind prison bars

BackFire
You really shouldn't be telling people this, it's embarrassing. Don't steal candy anymore.

jaden101
Take BF's advice...Stick to rape....It's easier to get away with.

BackFire
It's also harder to prove.

jaden101
Only get "caught red handed" when the painters are in and you're punching her front door.

Jack Daniels
if I stay on this site I will never quit drinkin..

Bicnarok

eek! ever heard of google?

A Petty Theft conviction, particularly for a first offense, rarely involves jail time. However, these cases usually involve two components; a criminal one and a civil one. For the criminal one, the prosecutors may or may not have decided whether they will charge you at this point. If they do, then even though jail time is unlikely if convicted, the ramifactions for future employment prospects will be significant to say the least.

As for the civil component of your case, in the weeks following the incident, you should expect to receive a collection letter saying you owe probably $500 which is the maximum allowed by law for this kind of thing. If you don't pay, they will threaten you with a small claims lawsuit. If you act fast, you may be able to resolve this matter through a civil compromise. Basically, this is where you enter into an agreement with the prosecutor that if you settle the civil matter, they will not file charges against you. You will need a private defense attorney for this.

And now Im gonna get done for Plaigerism

Bardock42
It was three bars. I know seriously they stop me at the door i'm like oh i'm terribly sorry i'll give it back and then the cops show up and I'm like "****"

So you actually stole three candybars? The **** is wrong with you?

AsbestosFlaygon
Where's your God now? lol

Mindship
What brand of candy bars did you take? And next time, have an accomplice set up a distraction first. Of course, you may have to take more candy then. Make sure you both agree on a brand, so the heist is quicker.

The Nuul
facepalm Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
3 dollars......WOW. Originally posted by BackFire
You really shouldn't be telling people this, it's embarrassing. Don't steal candy anymore. Originally posted by Bardock42
So you actually stole three candybars? The **** is wrong with you?

thumb up

WTF dude?

Rogue Jedi
If you're gonna steal, at least steal real shit, like DVD's.

The Nuul
Ummm no, if you are going to steal, steal big and not some petty shit like DVDs, candy etc....

Rogue Jedi
Just saying, steal something you can use multiple times.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Just saying, steal something you can use multiple times.

YEAH! Like condoms.

The Nuul
YEAH! Like condoms.

Used?

LanceWindu
Originally posted by The Nuul
Ummm no, if you are going to steal, steal big and not some petty shit like DVDs, candy etc....

I stole a cell phone.

dadudemon
Used?

Obviously.

You don't use yours thrice?

One Free Man
jeez guys I didn't actually steel them on purpose, but that's hard to prove as they were sort of concealed. I just had them in my hands andforgot to pay.

The Nuul
Sure, thats what they all say.....Im innocent.

shiv
jeez guys I didn't actually steel them on purpose, but that's hard to prove as they were sort of concealed. I just had them in my hands andforgot to pay.

I think the Police missed an opportunity to beat the truth out of you

And I also think they should lock you in the slammer and throw away teh key!

fraggin Candy Stealer.. WHAT IN AWOKS NAME WERE YOU THINKING?!???

Bicnarok

The Nuul
Dont worry I am sure someone will visit you....

Criminal!

jaden101

See the police have you sussed. They know you were stealing candy in order to lure kids.

inimalist

In Canada that would mean you wouldn't have "mens rea", or "criminal intent". In a case where you faced a harsher penalty, it may be worth fighting it on those grounds, as the crown would have to prove your intent, but on a case like this, the risk of being "made an example of" isnb't worth the fine.

With no priors and an at least semi-legit story, I'm surprised they decided to press charges. Is it because you are young do you think?

Colossus-Big C
wow where i live they let you off with a warning

shiv
you live in a bad neighbourhood

Robtard

Come on, why lie in here. You just forgot to pay for them, they were in your hand and they were concealed?

You can try that BS on the judge, doubt he/she will believe it, but if you don't want to plead guilty, best bet is to hire a lawyer to state your innocence based on ignorance. The lawyer fees will be more than the fine you'll get(+ community service), but you'll have a record if you pleasd guilty for sure. Really depends what's more important to you.

Call the court and find out if you're being charged with a misdemeanor or infraction, the former could mean county jail; you probably want to hire a lawyer then.

edit: You dumbass.

Rogue Jedi
haermm

The Nuul
His community service would be that he has to work in a variety store.

Autokrat
You know my best friend and I have this all worked out. He steals the candy and I provide the cover buy.

We've never gotten caught before.

I suppose he should probably stop though... seeing how he's going into Law Enforcement.

Of course he also smokes pot...

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

wink

super pr*xy
His community service would be that he has to work in a variety store.

catching candy thieves.

The Butcher
Laughing my ass off.

Wild Shadow
how about you didnt exit the premises so you didnt technically steal anything and if you were physically detained you could argue that too...........

get a good lawyer

The Nuul
Dude, you should have eating the candy bar in side of the store...

Bicnarok

Wild Shadow

Bardock42
Haha, a pity thief.

The Nuul
A kid is a better thief than OFM....laughing The kid at least would have gotten a way with it once or more until his mum finds out.

OFM didnt even make it out of the store....laughing

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Bardock42
Haha, a pity thief.

Not a pretty thief thensmile

This thread is becoming rather entertaining

chiaki

There will be a fine that is going to cost a hell of a lot more than the candy. Candy is a dollar! why on EARTH wouldn't you just buy the damn bar and save yourself the embarrassment.

You'll be found guilty. If I were you, I wouldn't plead anything besides guilty, cause then you're lying under oath.

Wow that's great. A fine and a theft on your record...over F'ing candy no expression

On your criminal record it'll read -i believe- "Found guilty of petty theft of amount $20.00 or under"

The Nuul
I guess he wont be One Free Man any more.....its One Lockedup Man.

chiaki
I guess he wont be One Free Man any more.....its One Lockedup Man.

laughing out loud that's awesome

shiv
Originally posted by chiaki
There will be a fine that is going to cost a hell of a lot more than the candy. Candy is a dollar! why on EARTH wouldn't you just buy the damn bar and save yourself the embarrassment.

You'll be found guilty. If I were you, I wouldn't plead anything besides guilty, cause then you're lying under oath.

Wow that's great. A fine and a theft on your record...over F'ing candy no expression

On your criminal record it'll read -i believe- "Found guilty of petty theft of amount $20.00 or under"

what did you steal?

chiaki
Originally posted by shiv
what did you steal?

I never stole anything. I have a cop and a lawyer in the family that's how I know

Mindset
Always plead not guilty, especially when you're guilty.

Wouldn't this be a misdemeanor? If so, it shouldn't affect employment.

chiaki
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.